Fanviews / reviews

Comments

• PA JammerPA Jammer Tamaqua, Pa. Posts: 340
    On first listen, Seven o Clock and Never Destination are great!
    Tom- Tamaqua PA

"What could be better than a beer with Eddie Vedder"
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Quick Escape is a monster in a good way. Love the song. What I love the most is the productions of the song. With headphones, you hear the Dolby Surround.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    mschostok said:
    CPR7 said:
    Awesome Album. Can't get enough. First listen was on Beats Studio 3 headphones, a little bit of green "inspiration" and some red wine.

My ranking after a few listens:
    1 - Who Ever Said - what a ride this song takes you on. If you were to explain "What is Pearl Jam?" to somebody, this song would be it. 
    2 - DOTC - Love the different direction with this song. Can't get enough of the outro. Stand Back!
    3 - Quick Escape - Cready kills it. I pictured him running across the stage destroying everybody's mind during the first solo. 
    4 - Seven O'clock - The musical layers are amazing
    5 - Comes then Goes - A letter from EV to CC
    6 - River Cross - Inspirational
    7- Retrograde - The outro is therapeutic 
    8 - Alright - Channeling No Code...love it
    9 - Buckle Up - I usually love the weirder songs. This one didn't grab me right away but I found myself randomly singing "Buckle uuuuuuppppp" so that has to mean something lol
    10 - SBWM - My 4 year old's favorite song
    11 - Take the Long Way - Soundgarden music with EV on vocals. Don't hate it don't love it
    12 - Never Destination - Feels like this one is a filler tune. Again don't hate it don't love it
    Hell yeah. Gets better with every listen. I fckn love Buckle Up, probably top 4 or 5 for me on the album. Is it just me or does SBWM and Quick Escape remind anyone of mid-2000s Incubus, A Crow Left of the Murder album? I could be alone. 
    I got that feeling hearing the ending of Quick Escape immediately.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    I am pretty damn excited to see these songs played live. Here is a breakdown of what I am excited for and how I think each song will play out. Just random thoughts here and hope it makes sense. 

Who Ever Said - They can open with this song to any show or throw it in the middle somewhere. Great rocker that would get the crowd jumping. 

3:00 - 5:10 Great slow and fast parts throughout the last two minutes that is going to make for a fun ride in a live setting.

Superblood Wolfmoon - Fun rocker that I bet they play at every show for the first couple of tours. Could fit in right before a set closer I think perfectly. 

DOTC - This whole song is going to be a fun one to see. So different then what we are used to. I bet they are going to really enjoy playing it too. They seemed really proud of it and bet they nail it live. This could be a show starter like Pendulum was or fit it in anywhere in the set to be honest. 

Quick Escape - When those Zeppelin style notes hit at the start of the song the roof is going off in the arena at some point in the next tour. At the start of the show, at the end of a set, in the middle it, does not matter. This is the song on the album that will click with most fans and it will be a monster live I am guessing. There is nothing wrong with the lyrics to this one but its all about the instruments for me. From 03:25 on is fire and would love to see what they are going to do if they ever extend it. 

Alright - This one hits pretty hard right now especially after closing my wife's business with all thats going on. We got pretty emotional on our first listen connecting with a lot of the lyrics. That emotional connection to this song is going to last forever for us. It obviously fits in the first part of the first encore and look forward to hearing it someday with hopefully happier times surrounding us all. Top 5 song for me from this album. 

7 O'clock- This will be my "Inside Job" on the album and I love Inside Job live. It does sound like a Springsteen style song for sure but that end takes it to another level. This is my most anticipated song to hear live off of the album by far and that is saying something. 

Never Destination - This is going to be a fun song live I think as long as they do not overplay it. It is not an every show or every other show for that matter style song for me but if they brought it out once and while it would get some love and some heads bouncing for sure. 

Take The Long Way - Gotta be honest it is the weakest song on the album and not looking forward to it live so much yet. It is leagues better than than the worse the last two albums produced though. Comes off as a Lost Dogs type of song that will probably grow on me if they can nail it live. 

Buckle Up - Really cool song that I think a lot of us will be chasing for years to come to hear at least once. Hope I am wrong on that as I think it would be great to see! 

Comes Then Goes - Going to be a hard one for Eddie to sing live I bet emotionally. It's a longer song that pretty much stays in the same place throughout but it keeps my interest the whole time. Live I can see him killing it.

Retrograde -  First 3:30 had me thinking Sirens/Just Breathe fans are going to love this and I thought it was just ok. After that though holy shit does it take off all on Eddies shoulders too. If he can nail that live as I think he can we are in for a treat! Funny enough after listening to the whole song the start sounds much better than I thought it did on first listen. 

River Cross - I am not sure if this could be a show opener or just the start to the first or second encore. I would like it as an opener but I love  this song. This section is my favourite moment of the whole album I think. Imagine the whole arena singing this part together. Chills. 

03:45 - 04:25 Can't hold me down. Can't hold me down. Won't hold us down. Won't hold us down! Live it out. Let it out. Let it out! Shout it out! Won't hold us down. Won't hold us down!
  • radial21radial21 Posts: 227
    Seven O’clock is just a stand out to me, I had to replay it on the first listen.  Really digging that one so far 

Love Who Ever Said and Quick Escape too, some of their best work in 15 years.  

Album as a whole is great, only song I really didn’t dig on the first listen was Take the Long Way, but I’m sure as I listen more it will grow on me.  

Can’t wait to hear these songs live 
  • NSLNSL Nashville, TN Posts: 291
    So far Buckle Up and Comes Then Goes are easily my least favorite.  Really digging the rest
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    First disjointed listen (kids and wife in and out of room, and I was also busy doing things).  Plan on marinating in this thing for the next 4-5 days.  

First songs to make an impression are Who Ever Said, Quick Escape, Alright, 7 O'clock, Never Destination, Retrograde and Comes Then Goes.  Some really good songs and I can't wait to sit down with a beer and really take it in.  
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
    If Comes Then Goes is indeed about Chris, man, that's some heavy shit
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    Anybody got the lyrics for Comes Then Goes,?
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    When they recorded the Brandi Carlisle cover i really loved how Matt’s drums sounded 

Josh carried that over on Gigaton.  
    Anybody got the lyrics for Comes Then Goes,?
    https://lyricskpop.net/lyrics/pearl-jam-come-then-goes/
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378

Any chance we get some updated publicity photos so we don't have to keep seeing the same recycled shot of Ed about to kick off a game of Twister with the band?

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    I love the last paragraph from this review:

One suspects that taking the time Pearl Jam did was crucial for the energy and depth of their album, which is neither a "return to form" nor some far-out noise experiment from bored musicians seeking new thrills or levels of credibility. It's a sturdy rock album from five guys who know what they're doing, took time till they had something to say, are interpolating new influences, and sound stoked to be back together in a room. Die-hard fans will be pleased, and more casual fans will be pleasantly surprised, when a handful of these tracks prove their mettle as additions to the band's live show, which will help subvert nostalgia for a heritage act. Will those fans play it as much as Vitalogy? Maybe not, but it's a strong showing for a band with so many miles behind it and a hopeful sign for the ones that lie ahead. If, as Vedder intones, we are in a collective state of f---ery —and it certainly feels that way — it's nice to have these guys back to help give the end-times a little oomph. B+
  • LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Can’t wait until I have a chance to listen to this. If it’s as good as most of you are saying, I’m gonna be listening obsessively for weeks!
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    When they recorded the Brandi Carlisle cover i really loved how Matt’s drums sounded 

Josh carried that over on Gigaton.  

They are snappy.  Not thuddy and muddy like some in the past...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    on2legs said:

Any chance we get some updated publicity photos so we don't have to keep seeing the same recycled shot of Ed about to kick off a game of Twister with the band?

LOL. jeff said in the unboxing video that they took one pic, ONE, the entire time they were recording. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    Its the album I always thought they could make, and the album i have been hoping they would make!  Its amazing!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    What a gift man.  
    Such a weird, crappy time period.  This is such a positive injection into our world.  Perfect timing. 

The excitement this has brought.  The minor escape it’s providing.  Amazing.  Thank you, PJ.  

• bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 692
    This is among their best work... Worth the wait. 
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    It is absolutely phenomenal

1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    alphawolf said:
    It is absolutely phenomenal

I think it sucks. It’s sucks that I haven’t received mine yet and I have to be jealous of all of you who have already heard it.  :|
  • byrn3535byrn3535 Posts: 127
    I know I just posted this in the quick escape thread but I jumped the gun and didnt see this thread. Promise I'm not spamming, just stoked! I'm gonna post a full album review on my channel on Friday if anyone is interested. Also toying with the idea of a Gigaton discussion livestream..... what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYnjOuyHfWnJdP9MH2V62tw
    Byrn, (bye - earn)
    "I wanna live my life with the volume full"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Seven O’Clock reminds me very much of Crowded House more so than Pink Floyd or Springsteen.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    on2legs said:

LOL. jeff said in the unboxing video that they took one pic, ONE, the entire time they were recording. 
    He said they took one picture of them recording together. Danny Clinch took at least three promo pics, one of them is on PJ‘s instagram. Others were on the forum and pearljamonline
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    CROJAM95 said:
    That’s the norm with the daily news unfortunately. It also sucks that “fake news” is associated with trump because it gives a lot of the population the excuse to disregard it as false. Whether you’re right or left or middle believe me, there’s a ton of agenda based fake news on both sides. It’s all about clicks, facts are not priority 
  • EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,809
    man I can’t wait to get my cd or vinyl and listen to this album start to finish.  
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    on2legs said:

They have new ones taken by Clinch. It's being used at some places. Against a blue backdrop. The band standing there. Eddie with a guitar.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    PJNB said:
    I am pretty damn excited to see these songs played live. Here is a breakdown of what I am excited for and how I think each song will play out. Just random thoughts here and hope it makes sense. 

Who Ever Said - They can open with this song to any show or throw it in the middle somewhere. Great rocker that would get the crowd jumping. 

3:00 - 5:10 Great slow and fast parts throughout the last two minutes that is going to make for a fun ride in a live setting.

Superblood Wolfmoon - Fun rocker that I bet they play at every show for the first couple of tours. Could fit in right before a set closer I think perfectly. 

DOTC - This whole song is going to be a fun one to see. So different then what we are used to. I bet they are going to really enjoy playing it too. They seemed really proud of it and bet they nail it live. This could be a show starter like Pendulum was or fit it in anywhere in the set to be honest. 

Quick Escape - When those Zeppelin style notes hit at the start of the song the roof is going off in the arena at some point in the next tour. At the start of the show, at the end of a set, in the middle it, does not matter. This is the song on the album that will click with most fans and it will be a monster live I am guessing. There is nothing wrong with the lyrics to this one but its all about the instruments for me. From 03:25 on is fire and would love to see what they are going to do if they ever extend it. 

Alright - This one hits pretty hard right now especially after closing my wife's business with all thats going on. We got pretty emotional on our first listen connecting with a lot of the lyrics. That emotional connection to this song is going to last forever for us. It obviously fits in the first part of the first encore and look forward to hearing it someday with hopefully happier times surrounding us all. Top 5 song for me from this album. 

7 O'clock- This will be my "Inside Job" on the album and I love Inside Job live. It does sound like a Springsteen style song for sure but that end takes it to another level. This is my most anticipated song to hear live off of the album by far and that is saying something. 

Never Destination - This is going to be a fun song live I think as long as they do not overplay it. It is not an every show or every other show for that matter style song for me but if they brought it out once and while it would get some love and some heads bouncing for sure. 

Take The Long Way - Gotta be honest it is the weakest song on the album and not looking forward to it live so much yet. It is leagues better than than the worse the last two albums produced though. Comes off as a Lost Dogs type of song that will probably grow on me if they can nail it live. 

Buckle Up - Really cool song that I think a lot of us will be chasing for years to come to hear at least once. Hope I am wrong on that as I think it would be great to see! 

Comes Then Goes - Going to be a hard one for Eddie to sing live I bet emotionally. It's a longer song that pretty much stays in the same place throughout but it keeps my interest the whole time. Live I can see him killing it.

Retrograde -  First 3:30 had me thinking Sirens/Just Breathe fans are going to love this and I thought it was just ok. After that though holy shit does it take off all on Eddies shoulders too. If he can nail that live as I think he can we are in for a treat! Funny enough after listening to the whole song the start sounds much better than I thought it did on first listen. 

River Cross - I am not sure if this could be a show opener or just the start to the first or second encore. I would like it as an opener but I love  this song. This section is my favourite moment of the whole album I think. Imagine the whole arena singing this part together. Chills. 

03:45 - 04:25 Can't hold me down. Can't hold me down. Won't hold us down. Won't hold us down! Live it out. Let it out. Let it out! Shout it out! Won't hold us down. Won't hold us down!
    @PJNBThanks, appreciate your review!