Fanviews / reviews

Comments

• D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,789
    ed243421 said:
    Thought I heard Stone wrote Buckle Up

ed sings it, though
    That’s what I thought.  Yahoo must be wrong and I must be right. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,101
    It’s out there. A buddy of mine tried to slip it to me recently, but I dodged it. Waiting for Friday!
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,895
    Yeah, it was on reddit over the weekend.  They are locking down on it now, but it's out there.  
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,680
    eboweddie said:
    This doesnt surprise me from the NME.......

The fact they dwell on river cross as being a highlight and proceed to get the lyrics wrong when doing so suggests they didnt really pay much attention. 

and I am not saying at all that River cross isnt a highlight ........
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 918
    And say hail hail from 2011. And spelled pearl jam wrong!!!! 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,993
    pdalowsky said:
    eboweddie said:

The fact they dwell on river cross as being a highlight and proceed to get the lyrics wrong when doing so suggests they didnt really pay much attention. 

Yup, I agree with this. It’s about as surprising at the 5/10 that Pitchfork will give it
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,817
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Who Ever Said - Ed penned rocker with a chaotic second half that shows off the band in full force. Awesome last ten seconds, and the chorus of this song is one of PJ’s catchiest to date. 

Super Blood - We have heard. One of, if not the most fun songs on the record. Catchiness is all over this record. 

Dance - Our first glimpse of Gigaton. I kinda wish now that I had not listened to anything until I heard all of it, because in hindsight I feel listening to this song first with all the others would make me appreciate both the song and record even more. 

Quick Escape - Much to be said. Zeppelin, Bowie, Them Crooked Vultures influences, and Faith No More all over. Much like Who Ever Said, the second half of the song is pure bliss. They put a lot of effort into every part of all these songs. There is no filler here. 

Alright - If the previous two songs were not WTF moments for you then this one will be the first. Sounds nothing like anything else and very familiar at the same time. It has a bit of an OK Computer vibe if you ask me. Not the last time I get a Radiohead vibe from songs on Gigaton. 

7 O’Clock - LOVE the intro jam. Very similar to Stop Draggin My Heart Around by Petty and Nicks. The verses are the first moment on this album where I felt like it wasn’t working. The choruses soar, but then the end feels a bit too much like the end of Sirens. This to me was clearly a pieces together song. The flow is weird. 

Never Destination - Fun Ed penned rocker with great vocal interplay with Jeff’s bass during the breakdown. Almost has a 60’s rock n roll vibe to it. Come for the fun of it, stay for the brilliance of the end of it. 

Take the Long Way -  Straight up Soundgarden with sick tone to the guitar and fantastic harmonies. Sounds like nothing else on the album. 

Buckle Up - Second song with serious Radiohead vibes if you ask me. Some of the most beautiful vocals that Ed has ever done, til the next song anyway. Stone needs to contribute more. PJ needs more songs like this. One of the most interesting songs they have ever done. 

Comes Then Goes - Probably my favorite of the bunch. The guitar(s) and vocals are recorded beautifully, perhaps better than any recording this band has done. The content is crushing and if you sit down and listen to this with the lyrics in front of you and some knowledge of this band, than this song will level you. It has a Pete Townshend solo acoustic feel to it. 

Retrograde - It took me quite a few listens to grasp what was going on here, and in many ways the entire album. It’s rich in texture and layering. This song is continuing to grow on me, and again the last half of the song is phenomenal. 

River Cross - Much improved on the solo Ed version we all know. Wasn’t a huge fan of it, but Matt’s drums and the Kalimba that Jeff plays really add a great dimension to the song that it lacked prior. 

Overall best record since Avocado, which to me is there best record this century. Nothing will touch the 90’s records but this isn’t far behind. 
    Excellent review sir. 
    Thanks, we should all be excited for this. It’s well worth the wait. 
    Your top three from the new album?
    Comes Then Goes, Quick Escape, Who Ever Said
    I d replace who ever said with never destination. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,907
    eboweddie said:
    And say hail hail from 2011. And spelled pearl jam wrong!!!! 
    "‘Superblood Wolfmoon’, am album highlight" - Grammar - unless it is a highlight only in the morning.  In that case, there would still be grammar issues.  
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 918

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Who Ever Said - Ed penned rocker with a chaotic second half that shows off the band in full force. Awesome last ten seconds, and the chorus of this song is one of PJ’s catchiest to date. 

Super Blood - We have heard. One of, if not the most fun songs on the record. Catchiness is all over this record. 

Dance - Our first glimpse of Gigaton. I kinda wish now that I had not listened to anything until I heard all of it, because in hindsight I feel listening to this song first with all the others would make me appreciate both the song and record even more. 

Quick Escape - Much to be said. Zeppelin, Bowie, Them Crooked Vultures influences, and Faith No More all over. Much like Who Ever Said, the second half of the song is pure bliss. They put a lot of effort into every part of all these songs. There is no filler here. 

Alright - If the previous two songs were not WTF moments for you then this one will be the first. Sounds nothing like anything else and very familiar at the same time. It has a bit of an OK Computer vibe if you ask me. Not the last time I get a Radiohead vibe from songs on Gigaton. 

7 O’Clock - LOVE the intro jam. Very similar to Stop Draggin My Heart Around by Petty and Nicks. The verses are the first moment on this album where I felt like it wasn’t working. The choruses soar, but then the end feels a bit too much like the end of Sirens. This to me was clearly a pieces together song. The flow is weird. 

Never Destination - Fun Ed penned rocker with great vocal interplay with Jeff’s bass during the breakdown. Almost has a 60’s rock n roll vibe to it. Come for the fun of it, stay for the brilliance of the end of it. 

Take the Long Way -  Straight up Soundgarden with sick tone to the guitar and fantastic harmonies. Sounds like nothing else on the album. 

Buckle Up - Second song with serious Radiohead vibes if you ask me. Some of the most beautiful vocals that Ed has ever done, til the next song anyway. Stone needs to contribute more. PJ needs more songs like this. One of the most interesting songs they have ever done. 

Comes Then Goes - Probably my favorite of the bunch. The guitar(s) and vocals are recorded beautifully, perhaps better than any recording this band has done. The content is crushing and if you sit down and listen to this with the lyrics in front of you and some knowledge of this band, than this song will level you. It has a Pete Townshend solo acoustic feel to it. 

Retrograde - It took me quite a few listens to grasp what was going on here, and in many ways the entire album. It’s rich in texture and layering. This song is continuing to grow on me, and again the last half of the song is phenomenal. 

River Cross - Much improved on the solo Ed version we all know. Wasn’t a huge fan of it, but Matt’s drums and the Kalimba that Jeff plays really add a great dimension to the song that it lacked prior. 

Overall best record since Avocado, which to me is there best record this century. Nothing will touch the 90’s records but this isn’t far behind. 
    Excellent review sir. 
    Never Destination is up there but I like the unpredictability of Who Ever Said
    looking to hear of the earth
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Excellent review sir. 
    Never Destination is up there but I like the unpredictability of Who Ever Said
    Both stellar songs.  I m wondering how they will translate live.  

• JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,435
    I‘m still waiting for Friday but it’s exciting to read positive feedback from you guys who‘ve listened already!! I‘ll still wait =)
    JPPJ84 said:
    I‘m still waiting for Friday but it’s exciting to read positive feedback from you guys who‘ve listened already!! I‘ll still wait =)
    I m guessing amazon will be streaming this on Friday?
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    pdalowsky said:
    eboweddie said:

Just gonna post this. I laughed at the "semi-brillance" part as well as some of the article as well.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Thanks for posting that review up above. So excited!!
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,435
    mcgruff10 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    I m guessing amazon will be streaming this on Friday?
    Don’t know 🤷🏼‍♀️
    YouTube music will. Singles have been hitting there a midnight!
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • This album is just incredible, front to back. Holy crap.
    This album is just incredible, front to back. Holy crap.
    The only song I am not digging is seven o'clock, otherwise it is freaking awesome.  That last 1:45 of retrograde....holy shit.  Ed hitting those notes...my god.  I could see them just jamming that out like old school immortality.  Could make a great set closer.  
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,041
    Searched the thread and didn't see it mentioned, but Boom isn't on the record at all. Keys handled by Josh Evans, BOB, etc.
    He wasn’t on Lightning Bolt either.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,296
    He was
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    Truly amazing album....not a dud on the whole thing. Will write up a full review after I've digested it more. I can't wait to learn this album on guitar. So fucking good. Thanks, PJ.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Come on

Quick Escape is one of their best songs in years. Holy cow. 
    pjl44 said:
    Quick Escape is one of their best songs in years. Holy cow. 
    Yup
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    NewJPage said:
    He was
    I stand corrected! You’re right!