Fanviews / reviews

Comments

• VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I'm really liking the sound of this too:
     And then there’s “Quick Escape,” a slick mid-tempo (yes!) callback to the Yield era 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Other than the writer's strange appreciation of Backspacer, this is a pretty damn good review. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Enjoy, all......
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    "Every time I listen to Gigaton I enjoy it more than the previous listen. Gigaton is a matured Pearl Jam, but it’s still definitely Pearl Jam. A band that has seen and been through so much, it’s great to see they still have the energy, the will and the message to the masses after 30 years."

I like this quote for it indicates a slow burner and these albums are imo the best.

Is it me, also listening to the new fragments that the sounds seems "bigger". What I mean to say, is that the songs are not cluttered like Future Days for example. While if you strip this song down, it is actually not so bad. Like there is room for space, silence - which makes each instrument more clear. I hope I make sense but DoC you can hear this. The instruments are not overbearing; there is room between the instrumentation. I don't know if you experience that the same way, but it makes the album feels "bigger". While BS was more introvert and LB also, but in a lesser extent. ST was extrovert but with no focus. This seems to have a focus and a definite arch which was missing with ST and LB.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    M"F"C !
  • max8700max8700 Posts: 205
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm really liking the sound of this too:
     And then there’s “Quick Escape,” a slick mid-tempo (yes!) callback to the Yield era 

Quick Escape is the song I have been waiting for them to make. 2 guitar solos from McCready? Yes please!
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    These clips have me pumped to hear Gigaton in its entirety!  Can’t get here fast enough 
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    edited March 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    No, thank you. Fanviews are also pouring in. Some very detailed. I will put some of these online after the 27th and also on FB. Music, with this lockdown, is more important than ever.

• www.theskyiscrape.com
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    JPPJ84 said:
    This one states that Stone is the lead singer on Buckle Up.   Can someone confirm that???  Hasn’t been referenced in any other writes ups.   

Figured we would have heard about this by now. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Thought I heard Stone wrote Buckle Up

ed sings it, though
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Who Ever Said - Ed penned rocker with a chaotic second half that shows off the band in full force. Awesome last ten seconds, and the chorus of this song is one of PJ’s catchiest to date. 

Super Blood - We have heard. One of, if not the most fun songs on the record. Catchiness is all over this record. 

Dance - Our first glimpse of Gigaton. I kinda wish now that I had not listened to anything until I heard all of it, because in hindsight I feel listening to this song first with all the others would make me appreciate both the song and record even more. 

Quick Escape - Much to be said. Zeppelin, Bowie, Them Crooked Vultures influences, and Faith No More all over. Much like Who Ever Said, the second half of the song is pure bliss. They put a lot of effort into every part of all these songs. There is no filler here. 

Alright - If the previous two songs were not WTF moments for you then this one will be the first. Sounds nothing like anything else and very familiar at the same time. It has a bit of an OK Computer vibe if you ask me. Not the last time I get a Radiohead vibe from songs on Gigaton. 

7 O’Clock - LOVE the intro jam. Very similar to Stop Draggin My Heart Around by Petty and Nicks. The verses are the first moment on this album where I felt like it wasn’t working. The choruses soar, but then the end feels a bit too much like the end of Sirens. This to me was clearly a pieces together song. The flow is weird. 

Never Destination - Fun Ed penned rocker with great vocal interplay with Jeff’s bass during the breakdown. Almost has a 60’s rock n roll vibe to it. Come for the fun of it, stay for the brilliance of the end of it. 

Take the Long Way -  Straight up Soundgarden with sick tone to the guitar and fantastic harmonies. Sounds like nothing else on the album. 

Buckle Up - Second song with serious Radiohead vibes if you ask me. Some of the most beautiful vocals that Ed has ever done, til the next song anyway. Stone needs to contribute more. PJ needs more songs like this. One of the most interesting songs they have ever done. 

Comes Then Goes - Probably my favorite of the bunch. The guitar(s) and vocals are recorded beautifully, perhaps better than any recording this band has done. The content is crushing and if you sit down and listen to this with the lyrics in front of you and some knowledge of this band, than this song will level you. It has a Pete Townshend solo acoustic feel to it. 

Retrograde - It took me quite a few listens to grasp what was going on here, and in many ways the entire album. It’s rich in texture and layering. This song is continuing to grow on me, and again the last half of the song is phenomenal. 

River Cross - Much improved on the solo Ed version we all know. Wasn’t a huge fan of it, but Matt’s drums and the Kalimba that Jeff plays really add a great dimension to the song that it lacked prior. 

Overall best record since Avocado, which to me is there best record this century. Nothing will touch the 90’s records but this isn’t far behind. 
    looking to hear of the earth
    D-Rod said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    This one states that Stone is the lead singer on Buckle Up.   Can someone confirm that???  Hasn’t been referenced in any other writes ups.   

Figured we would have heard about this by now. 
    Stone plays trombone on Buckle Up.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Who Ever Said - Ed penned rocker with a chaotic second half that shows off the band in full force. Awesome last ten seconds, and the chorus of this song is one of PJ’s catchiest to date. 

Super Blood - We have heard. One of, if not the most fun songs on the record. Catchiness is all over this record. 

Dance - Our first glimpse of Gigaton. I kinda wish now that I had not listened to anything until I heard all of it, because in hindsight I feel listening to this song first with all the others would make me appreciate both the song and record even more. 

Quick Escape - Much to be said. Zeppelin, Bowie, Them Crooked Vultures influences, and Faith No More all over. Much like Who Ever Said, the second half of the song is pure bliss. They put a lot of effort into every part of all these songs. There is no filler here. 

Alright - If the previous two songs were not WTF moments for you then this one will be the first. Sounds nothing like anything else and very familiar at the same time. It has a bit of an OK Computer vibe if you ask me. Not the last time I get a Radiohead vibe from songs on Gigaton. 

7 O’Clock - LOVE the intro jam. Very similar to Stop Draggin My Heart Around by Petty and Nicks. The verses are the first moment on this album where I felt like it wasn’t working. The choruses soar, but then the end feels a bit too much like the end of Sirens. This to me was clearly a pieces together song. The flow is weird. 

Never Destination - Fun Ed penned rocker with great vocal interplay with Jeff’s bass during the breakdown. Almost has a 60’s rock n roll vibe to it. Come for the fun of it, stay for the brilliance of the end of it. 

Take the Long Way -  Straight up Soundgarden with sick tone to the guitar and fantastic harmonies. Sounds like nothing else on the album. 

Buckle Up - Second song with serious Radiohead vibes if you ask me. Some of the most beautiful vocals that Ed has ever done, til the next song anyway. Stone needs to contribute more. PJ needs more songs like this. One of the most interesting songs they have ever done. 

Comes Then Goes - Probably my favorite of the bunch. The guitar(s) and vocals are recorded beautifully, perhaps better than any recording this band has done. The content is crushing and if you sit down and listen to this with the lyrics in front of you and some knowledge of this band, than this song will level you. It has a Pete Townshend solo acoustic feel to it. 

Retrograde - It took me quite a few listens to grasp what was going on here, and in many ways the entire album. It’s rich in texture and layering. This song is continuing to grow on me, and again the last half of the song is phenomenal. 

River Cross - Much improved on the solo Ed version we all know. Wasn’t a huge fan of it, but Matt’s drums and the Kalimba that Jeff plays really add a great dimension to the song that it lacked prior. 

Overall best record since Avocado, which to me is there best record this century. Nothing will touch the 90’s records but this isn’t far behind. 
    Excellent review sir. 
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Who Ever Said - Ed penned rocker with a chaotic second half that shows off the band in full force. Awesome last ten seconds, and the chorus of this song is one of PJ’s catchiest to date. 

Excellent review sir. 
    Thanks, we should all be excited for this. It’s well worth the wait. 
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

Excellent review sir. 
    Your top three from the new album?
    I don't think anyone would've been upset had this been the follow up to Yield. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Excellent review sir. 
    Your top three from the new album?
    Comes Then Goes, Quick Escape, Who Ever Said
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    I don't think anyone would've been upset had this been the follow up to Yield. 
    This may be the best way of putting it so far. I am glad they waited though because their catalogue wouldn’t be the same without Binaural.
  • TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,072
     Quick Escape......DAMMMNNN!!!!!
    Can't wait to see Comes Then Goes live.
    This is good.  Real good.  Definitely just what I needed right now.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • MstermistyMstermisty Posts: 20
    edited March 2020
    I’m a few spins in.  I love it.

This feels like one of those albums where your least favorite song upon first listen is your favorite at some point down the road.

Now let’s get rid of this fuckin’ virus so we can hear these great songs live!
    Post edited by Mstermisty on
    Tradin' stories with the leaves...
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    I’m a few spins in.  I love it.
    How, how do some people have it already?
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006