Pearl Jam is returning to Europe in 2020

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Italy is not gonna be all clear by June July or August, people have to just be realistic..I know I wouldn’t be comfortable being in a crowd even come September I’m sorry but that’s how I see it..
    Ignore above post, I am not able to delete it.

I hope they don't come for the risk is way too high. The Netherlands takes the same approach as Italy with the false presumption of Mass immunity that has been dismissed by the WHO. (Other European countries took different policies.) But as always the Dutch know it "better". I am Dutch, but I am also a scholar (even sent my last academic book to PJ.) I am now working on an international platform with viruologists and epidemiologists (sp - late at night here and tired) to create awareness. Since some fellow Dutch citizens are stubborn (a cultural trade), I get a lot of hate email. My facebook is open anyone can read it, I collected a lot of data: https://www.facebook.com/anthonie.holslag . (Some posts are in English and others in Dutch. Google translate is a good tool.) Wanted to share an important graph but forum does not allow me, or I do not know how to do it. (I think I did it:not but not sure if it is ditect;y linked to the the post.) Curious if PJ received the book.I sent, since it includes decions by the state and how people follow it because cultural elements are internalized that creates a blind spot.

Numbers can be misleading. Country is smaller than Italy. 

Whoa thanks man for your dedication to make people aware! Stay safe 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Australia could ban travel for up to 6 months. Could being the key word. 
  • rahjiimrahjiim Posts: 120
    I also hope that they wait as long as they can, because obviously if they make a decision now, it can only be to cancel. 

I also want to keep hoping as long as possible. 

I just don't see why they would cancel before the festivals they play do. 
    rahjiim said:
    I also hope that they wait as long as they can, because obviously if they make a decision now, it can only be to cancel. 

Me too with the waiting. However I think we all know how this plays out unless there is a miracle in the next month or month and a half. There is still 92 days until the tour but the big question is if somehow we can overcome this in that time (big if) will there even allowed to be people getting together in large numbers? So many countries are afraid of a second wave coming but they also fear a financial collapse and depend so much on tourism that some may open back up for the summer just to shut down again in the fall/winter. 

I am still waiting on a couple of festivals in the spring to cancel for May shows in North America. Really surprised to not have them officially cancel yet. 
    PJNB said:
    rahjiim said:

Me too with the waiting. However I think we all know how this plays out unless there is a miracle in the next month or month and a half. There is still 92 days until the tour but the big question is if somehow we can overcome this in that time (big if) will there even allowed to be people getting together in large numbers? So many countries are afraid of a second wave coming but they also fear a financial collapse and depend so much on tourism that some may open back up for the summer just to shut down again in the fall/winter. 

I am still waiting on a couple of festivals in the spring to cancel for May shows in North America. Really surprised to not have them officially cancel yet. 
    I wonder what role contracts and insurances play when making a decision. Before they postponed North America, I asumed they had to wait for the government to stop large gatherings, because making the decision themselves might have been expensive. 
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    rahjiim said:
    PJNB said:
    rahjiim said:

I wonder what role contracts and insurances play when making a decision. Before they postponed North America, I asumed they had to wait for the government to stop large gatherings, because making the decision themselves might have been expensive. 
    People were saying that, but actually PJ postponed before governments issued any orders.  Their letter to fans expressed frustration with lack of leadership by governments (my interpretation).
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    kst said:
    rahjiim said:
    PJNB said:
    rahjiim said:

People were saying that, but actually PJ postponed before governments issued any orders.  Their letter to fans expressed frustration with lack of leadership by governments (my interpretation).
    Yep they were ahead of it! 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    kst said:
    rahjiim said:
    PJNB said:
    rahjiim said:

Mad respect for them for doing that.  They think with their brains/hearts versus their pocket book.  
    kst said:
    rahjiim said:
    PJNB said:
    rahjiim said:

Yes, don't get me wrong, I respect them for it even more, but why cancel Europe now and leave festivals that haven't cancelled yet without a headliner? 
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 584
    Yes these shows are 100% not happening this summer. 
    rahjiim said:
    kst said:
    rahjiim said:
    PJNB said:
    rahjiim said:

Yes, don't get me wrong, I respect them for it even more, but why cancel Europe now and leave festivals that haven't cancelled yet without a headliner? 
    I respect your opinion but me personally I’m not going to an arena full of people or stadiums full of people not this year and maybe not ever again , I’m not trusting any government telling me all is good to go.

rahjiim said:
    kst said:
    rahjiim said:
    PJNB said:
    rahjiim said:

I respect your opinion but me personally I’m not going to an arena full of people or stadiums full of people not this year and maybe not ever again , I’m not trusting any government telling me all is good to go.

Sorry, English is not my first language, I feel my point isn't clear. While the way they handle postponing the North American dates Was axmirable, it would be unnecessary to make a decision about Europe today, because everybody knows the situation anyway. 
    rahjiim said:
    rahjiim said:
    kst said:
    rahjiim said:
    PJNB said:
    rahjiim said:

Sorry, English is not my first language, I feel my point isn't clear. While the way they handle postponing the North American dates Was axmirable, it would be unnecessary to make a decision about Europe today, because everybody knows the situation anyway. 
    It’s ok man everyone is totally affected by this crisis I hope you get to see the band this year👍

The IOC has said the Tokyo games (keep as is, postpone, cancel) will be decided in the next 4 weeks.  I know that’s a much bigger, more complicated event than a PJ tour, but it’s also a month later than the tour.  I would be shocked if PJ doesn’t make a decision by April 15.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• one_stoneone_stone Posts: 291
    edited March 2020
    matt84 said:
    I habe been very positive about the tour happening for quite some time (June is a few month away) but sitting here semi quarantined in Austria watching what happening just 300km away in Italy I think Summer Tours will definitely be cancelled... We can just hope that we don't get hit as hard as Italy here but the case numbers are growing... The most reliable news I saw that shuts down touring was, that the Czech Republic will close their borders for at least the next 6 month from now on. (Source: Main Austrian News Agency - sorry only in German... https://orf.at/stories/3158919/)
    Post edited by one_stone on
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    matt84 said:
    I agree with you. There is historical precedence of a recent pandemic, see Spanish Flu of 1918, this lasted over a year. With more people on the planet, more travelers, and less kindness, I fear this pandemic could be really challenging for everyone.

Like many others, I'm fine with quarantining at home. Going to the supermarket once a week or every ten days is the most stressful part of my week, as I can't help but think someone near me has travelled recently and is not following the health department's 14 day self isolation period;  or that the person next to me is living with someone who is ill and is actually self isolating. I realize that this one stress of mine is mild compared to others out there and I sympathize for them.

I hope everyone is keeping safe where ever you may be. I feel really bad for all the folks working at Costco, supermarkets, in health care, and other businesses that are still open. These are very uncertain and unsettling days. Let's hope humanity becomes more humane sooner than later and less about social MEdia, so that people act in their community's best interests and not their own going forward.

It was a downer when Pearl Jam cancelled their tour, but it was the proactive and correct move. I'm anxious in a supermarket at the moment, there was no way I was going to attend a concert with 20,000 fans five days ago.

On the bright side, we all will have a new album to listen to at the end of this week :)
    'Be kind, safe, and healthy everyone
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    rahjiim said:
    PJNB said:
    rahjiim said:

I think, because I heard something once, that they have insurances for these kind of things. Besides PJ postpones concerts, not cancel them. They will come to Europe eventually. I hope they plan to do Amsterdam last again. I also hope to see it for our half-baked goverment, stewing in their neo-liberal soup seems to be clueless. Belgium lock down. Germany lock down. Netherlands: keep distance from one another. Reality (I live near a big park) more than 100 people on the street. Playing tag, barbecuing, laughing, sharing beer. (It was a nice day that gave you the "spring itch".)  The Dutch dont seem to realize that with corona you look into the past. The people you see now infected, were the once who contracted the virus two weeks ago. The people on the street and beaches today, we will see in upcoming weeks. It is going to be an humanitarian disaster. (No exateration.) There is a shortage of life support and bed *now:* wait three weeks down the road.

If ypu want an update and compare it to other countries, look at this site: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR13E7ObvOxro10Ow9VBI3QS7SNdPr0zl9c-JXQyJoVMbyohXfk3rUulUAI

Notice the Dutch "closed cases" (with no lockdown) compared with France (with a lock down)  Netherlands 2 recovered and 179 death. France: 2200 recoveries and 674 death. Still no lockdown in the Netherlands. In % this is: Netherlans closed cases - recovered 1% and dead 99%. France: 77% recovered and 23% fatalities. We have this neo-liberal party in the Netherlands that takes economy first, health second. And since the Dutch took the "herd immunity" approah, which is not scientifally validated, we are going downhill fast. May not even hear the damn album. The approach I heard is considered "survivest of the fittest". (That is how some politicians openly called it.) The last time I heard this phrase, stemming from an ideology. was Nazi Germany. And I should know for I am a genocide scholar.

edited March 2020
    kst said:
    The IOC has said the Tokyo games (keep as is, postpone, cancel) will be decided in the next 4 weeks.  I know that’s a much bigger, more complicated event than a PJ tour, but it’s also a month later than the tour.  I would be shocked if PJ doesn’t make a decision by April 15.
    It’s being reported tonight that Canada is not sending athletes to the Olympics if they are not postponed.  Same for Australia.
    Post edited by RatherStarved on

• pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    If this happens we will be thrilled because Pearl Jam will only play if it is 100% safe to do so, we know they make the right decisions, we know they have safety at the forefront of everything and we know they don't take risks. So if by some miracle it goes ahead, the world will be back to normal. 

If it doesnt, as we all expect, we will have new dates to look forward to and be excited about. Maybe even a winter tour......I dont recall the last time they played out here in the winter....it would make queuing at the early entry that little more interesting.....

pdalowsky said:
    If this happens we will be thrilled because Pearl Jam will only play if it is 100% safe to do so, we know they make the right decisions, we know they have safety at the forefront of everything and we know they don't take risks. So if by some miracle it goes ahead, the world will be back to normal. 

If it doesnt, as we all expect, we will have new dates to look forward to and be excited about. Maybe even a winter tour......I dont recall the last time they played out here in the winter....it would make queuing at the early entry that little more interesting.....

This guy gets it. People can be pessimistic or realistic as they want but the fact is if Pearl Jam is playing this summer we are in a much better place than we are today and I for one am hopeful we can get there. We can all read the forecasts and predictions of this lasting 12-18 months from now but I am for one hopeful that we can kick this in the ass in the next two months. 
    PJNB said:
    pdalowsky said:

This guy gets it. People can be pessimistic or realistic as they want but the fact is if Pearl Jam is playing this summer we are in a much better place than we are today and I for one am hopeful we can get there. We can all read the forecasts and predictions of this lasting 12-18 months from now but I am for one hopeful that we can kick this in the ass in the next two months. 
    That's basically what I was trying to say yesterday. 
    kst said:
    kst said:
    It’s being reported tonight that Canada is not sending athletes to the Olympics if they are not postponed.  Same for Australia.
    Olympics postponed.  New dates TBC.

• eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
    Henry street Dublin yesterday.  Pearl jam not making a tour is the least of our worries lads. 

For sure there are bigger issues.  No question.

We’re just speculating on the impact on the tour because that’s what this chat topic is.

If there is a “what’s the fastest way to a drug or vaccine” topic I’d love to know where that is.  That’s the important chat.

I've taken it for granted that Frankfurt London and vienna are off for me. Please god they will come back in 2021. All going well

kst said:
    kst said:
    kst said:
    Olympics now on for 2021, let’s hope this virus is contained by then !

• craigraethercraigraether Posts: 1,048
    kst said:
    kst said:
    kst said:
    Olympics now on for 2021, let’s hope this virus is contained by then !

The Olympics are a much bigger deal - with people and athletes coming from over the globe. Virus would need to completely gone or it could be spread again world wide. We could be all clear in Europe, NA and Asia - but not Africa and SA and that would still be a problem

There are conflicting reports on whether the Olympics have been postponed or are soon to be postponed.  Either way it doesn’t look good.

• mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    The tour is not gonna happen. Having to deal with different policies of over 10 different countries will be too much of a hassle to pull off on such short notice.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
This discussion has been closed.