Beastie Boys

Comments

• surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    jjflash said:
    surforia said:
    jjflash said:
    I recently started reading the Beastie Boys Book and am about 1/3 the way thru. Mike and Adam, along w/ friends and contemporaries, trade anecdotal stories like to the way the exchange rhymes on the records. The book reads like a history lesson in hip hop. Highly recommended for fans of The Beasties and/or hip hop

You need to check out the audio book.  Adam and Mike narrate it, as well as some unbelievable guests (e.g., Will Farrell, Jon Stewart, Snoop, Chuck D, etc.). 
    Good to know...thanks for the tip! Will make for good listening during trail running or on a road trip :sunglasses:
    Btw, nice avatar...I've that poster in my office :rock_on:

Thanks! 
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Yes! We don't have Apple TV so might have to go the IMAX route
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I saw Popstar: Never Stop Popping...
    That's close enough for me.  Better music, for sure.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Beastie Boys were awesome.  Paul's Boutique was absolute excellence.

(I did like that Pop Star movie....so over the top stupid that it was hilarious)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited March 2020

(I did like that Pop Star movie....so over the top stupid that it was hilarious)
    They were NOT,
    They couldn't RAP, 
    Thank God THE, 
    Shouting every THIRD
    Word died with THEM.

Horrible, screechy, cheesy...the guys on Whose Line Is It Anyway were easily as good as them lol
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495

I just bought PB today at the record store.  The album artwork and music are their best.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    Loved License to Ill in junior high, but that 3 album run from Paul’s Boutique -> Ill Communication was unreal, with Check Your Head being their masterpiece. 

I lost interest around Hello Nasty, but they’ll always be one of my favorite acts; I can’t wait to see this movie. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    rgambs said:

They were NOT,
    They couldn't RAP, 
    Thank God THE, 
    Shouting every THIRD
    Word died with THEM.

Horrible, screechy, cheesy...the guys on Whose Line Is It Anyway were easily as good as them lol
    Well, I probably hate some music others love.  Nothing is for everyone.
    Very talented guys if you look at the journey they took.  

I just bought PB today at the record store.  The album artwork and music are their best.
    Love PB on the TT, with the cans on and volume way up.
    rgambs said:

They were NOT,
    They couldn't RAP, 
    Thank God THE, 
    Shouting every THIRD
    Word died with THEM.

Lol

Can not wait to spin this later tonight 

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Paul's Boutique is a landmark album.....way ahead of its time!
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    rgambs said:

They were NOT,
    They couldn't RAP, 
    Thank God THE, 
    Shouting every THIRD
    Word died with THEM.

Sooooo Run DMC didn't move the needle with you either?

Can not wait to spin this later tonight 

I bought the anniversary edition and it sounds wonderful.
    rgambs said:

They were NOT,
    They couldn't RAP, 
    Thank God THE, 
    Shouting every THIRD
    Word died with THEM.

Lawd no, that stuff is straight hokey!  I get that it was the early, influential stuff, but it wasn't good.
    You can go back and listen to the forerunners of heavy rock and Zeppelin, Cream, Sabbath, etc still sound good and valuable...the early rap sounds so amateur it hurts. 
    The first rap I ever listened to was Eminem, you just can't go back to that hokey stuff when you start with such master work.  
    edited March 2020
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

They were NOT,
    They couldn't RAP, 
    Thank God THE, 
    Shouting every THIRD
    Word died with THEM.

Lawd no, that stuff is straight hokey!  I get that it was the early, influential stuff, but it wasn't good.
    You can go back and listen to the forerunners of heavy rock and Zeppelin, Cream, Sabbath, etc still sound good and valuable...the early rap sounds so amateur it hurts. 
    The first rap I ever listened to was Eminem, you just can't go back to that hokey stuff when you start with such master work.  

Sabbath was pretty f/n hokey.

It doesn't mean they weren't "good and valuable" and ahead of their time, but as compared to some of the metal we've got in the last few decades, they were hokey AF.

It's evolution, baby.

EDIT: it also doesn't help that Eminem was the first rap you listened to. If you grew up on this stuff & saw the evolution you may have a different perspective.

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

They were NOT,
    They couldn't RAP, 
    Thank God THE, 
    Shouting every THIRD
    Word died with THEM.

It doesn't mean they weren't "good and valuable" and ahead of their time, but as compared to some of the metal we've got in the last few decades, they were hokey AF.

It's evolution, baby.

EDIT: it also doesn't help that Eminem was the first rap you listened to. If you grew up on this stuff & saw the evolution you may have a different perspective.

Well said except for that bit about Black Sabbath.

The Beastie Boys album Pauls Boutique is an absolute masterpiece.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

They were NOT,
    They couldn't RAP, 
    Thank God THE, 
    Shouting every THIRD
    Word died with THEM.

It's evolution, baby.

One of the greatest albums ever made.
    Best purchase I've made this year and luckily right before what's going down right now.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

They were NOT,
    They couldn't RAP, 
    Thank God THE, 
    Shouting every THIRD
    Word died with THEM.

It's evolution, baby.

In hindsight I wish I said dated instead of hokey. Oh well. 

& yeah, PB is a masterpiece, but I can say love Check Your Head just as much. Both are insane & really ahead of their time.

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Sabbath is hokey. Harmonica in songs. Not in my metal. Pioneers? Yes. Zeppelin started metal. Sabbath started the use of dark imagery in songs. 

The Beastie Boys were always ahead of their time. They were just so far above. I agree with guy who says early rap sounds dated but the Beastie Boys have stood the test of time. And passed with all A’s. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    Sabbath is awesome.  C'mon, Paranoid is pure awesomeness.  
    T.I.
    I believe Rhymin & Stealin had a Tommy guitar riff to connect the worlds of Sabbath and BBoys.

T.I.
    I believe Rhymin & Stealin had a Tommy guitar riff to connect the worlds of Sabbath and BBoys.

Also, War Pigs... Snow Blind (off the top of my head)... thinking about those songs was why I pulled back on the term hokey... nothing hokey about those tunes.

T.I.

Also, War Pigs... Snow Blind (off the top of my head)... thinking about those songs was why I pulled back on the term hokey... nothing hokey about those tunes.

Yep - I actually meant the album, not just the tune.  That album is a Top 10 for me.  (As is Paul's Boutique)

T.I.

Yep - I actually meant the album, not just the tune.  That album is a Top 10 for me.  (As is Paul's Boutique)

Gotcha. & yes... it's a fantastic album.
    T.I.
    Ahhhh, let's tie all 3 together then.  And on the cool check in... The song Rhymin n Stealin has the Drum beat from Led Zeps when the levee breaks, guitar is from Sabbath's Sweet Leaf.
    T.I.
    Ahhhh, let's tie all 3 together then.  And on the cool check in... The song Rhymin n Stealin has the Drum beat from Led Zeps when the levee breaks, guitar is from Sabbath's Sweet Leaf.
    Ha.  Nicely done.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY