Time change. Again.

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    You don't gain or lose any sleep.  You sleep the same amount of time.  The clock just says something different when you wake up.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    You don't gain or lose any sleep.  You sleep the same amount of time.  The clock just says something different when you wake up.
    Actually not necessarily. Let's use the evil spring forward as an example...let's say you are someone who works Sundays and you have to be at work at 8 AM, and normally get up at 7AM to get ready and drive to work. And you always go to bed at 11 PM Saturday night, and you get exactly 8 hours of sleep. On that one horrible weekend in March, you go to bed at 11 PM as per usual, and you set your smart phone alarm for 7 AM as usual, your phone automatically moves up the 1 hour at 2 AM, and your alarm rings 7 hours after you went to bed instead of 8.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • You don't gain or lose any sleep.  You sleep the same amount of time.  The clock just says something different when you wake up.
    This logic is flawed if you go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day.

I say to hell w day lights saving time!!!

I want the sun still shining at 430 PM!

It's only flawed if, like Poncier said, you have to set an alarm on Sunday morning.  I would assume those folks are a vast minority of people.
    You're last two statements contradict each other.  If you want the sun still shining later, then you want daylight saving time.
  • You don't gain or lose any sleep.  You sleep the same amount of time.  The clock just says something different when you wake up.

It's only flawed if, like Poncier said, you have to set an alarm on Sunday morning.  I would assume those folks are a vast minority of people.
    You're last two statements contradict each other.  If you want the sun still shining later, then you want daylight saving time.
    Technically it ended yes, but the whole idea of moving the clocks is called "daylights saving time" is it not?

Abolish any clock movement changes so I have daylight at 430 and you can call it St Elmos day, I don't give a shit just stop changing the damn clocks so its dark before friggin happy hour.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Poncier said:
    mace1229 said:
    What doesn’t make sense to me is we are only on standard time about 4 months, and DST about 8. Why is the standard to less used one? We should be on DST year round at that point.
    Used to be a pretty even split years ago (would spring forward in April and fall back in October), for whatever reason the dates got switched, don't know why.
    I remember that. I think they got switched because everyone likes DST more. So why not stick with it year round is my point.
    mace1229 said:
    Poncier said:
    mace1229 said:
    What doesn’t make sense to me is we are only on standard time about 4 months, and DST about 8. Why is the standard to less used one? We should be on DST year round at that point.
    Used to be a pretty even split years ago (would spring forward in April and fall back in October), for whatever reason the dates got switched, don't know why.
    I remember that. I think they got switched because everyone likes DST more. So why not stick with it year round is my point.
    My guess is the only semi-legit reason would be so kids aren't at the bus stop in pitch black in the morning.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

So.....you like day light savings time then? Sounds like you dislike standard time. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

Technically it ended yes, but the whole idea of moving the clocks is called "daylights saving time" is it not?

Abolish any clock movement changes so I have daylight at 430 and you can call it St Elmos day, I don't give a shit just stop changing the damn clocks so its dark before friggin happy hour.
    It's not the idea of moving the clock that's called daylight saving time, but rather the result of moving the clock forward an hour in the spring.  But I'm with you.  Give me my damn daylight in the evening!!

So.....you like day light savings time then? Sounds like you dislike standard time. 
    It's a damn oxymoron...

We aren't saving daylight by falling back so what daylight are we saving in a time that has less of it?

It makes no damn sense...

It's a damn oxymoron...

We aren't saving daylight by falling back so what daylight are we saving in a time that has less of it?

Because falling back isn't daylight saving time!!!  You have everything backwards.

It's a damn oxymoron...

Because falling back isn't daylight saving time!!!  You have everything backwards.
    EXACTLY!!!!

WTF do we call it that if we aren't saving daylight!?!

It's a damn oxymoron...

EXACTLY!!!!

We don't call it that!!! We are NOT on daylight saving time right now, that's what I'm trying to tell you.

It's a damn oxymoron...

EXACTLY!!!!

We don't call it that!!! We are NOT on daylight saving time right now, that's what I'm trying to tell you.
    I don't believe you even though I know you're right, but it IS part of daylight savings time, it's part of the process.

It's evil man, friggin evil.

Shit is making me lose it.

It's a damn oxymoron...

EXACTLY!!!!

I don't believe you even though I know you're right, but it IS part of daylight savings time, it's part of the process.

It's evil man, friggin evil.

Shit is making me lose it.
    :lol: That might be the full moon approaching!
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Image may contain 1 person possible text that says DAVID LEE ROTH REMINDS YOU TO JUMP Rex AHEAD ANLHOUR THIS WEEKEND
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    norm said:
    Image may contain 1 person possible text that says DAVID LEE ROTH REMINDS YOU TO JUMP Rex AHEAD ANLHOUR THIS WEEKEND
    Or in the jugglers world you fall back tonight 😉
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    Just replying to acknowledge all the long time user names from the first couple of pages.  Some have left just to leave this place, some have left to leave this world.  Kind of makes me nostalgic for how long I've been around here.  Certainly through years of DST.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited March 2020
    Robbed on another hour of sleep?  And for what reason, might I ask?  Wanna know what I think of this nonsense?  Well, it's a bit like this:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

^^^ OK, I only look half that grumpy today.  But when I realized It was already passed noon when my body clock was still reading AM,  I HAD to reach for more coffee!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I vote we should set the clocks back 1 hour every Sunday. Who cares 2 pm would be pitch dark sometimes, that extra hour would be worth it.
    mace1229 said:
    I vote we should set the clocks back 1 hour every Sunday. Who cares 2 pm would be pitch dark sometimes, that extra hour would be worth it.

Dude, you're making my head spin!  :lol: 

But now that I thin about it, every 24 hours we would get an extra day, right?  Cooooool!

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Loving the extra hour of sleep.....but always hate losing an hour of sunlight this time of year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Fuuuuuuuuck daylight savings time.  Kids were miserable this morning and getting them out the door to daycare was a disaster.  Great start to the week!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    People are slaves to routine.  Shake it up!
    The extra evening light is a wonderful thing, I will make good use of it preparing the garden for planting.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    rgambs said:
    The extra evening light is a wonderful thing, I will make good use of it preparing the garden for planting.
    Yes.  Like I said before.  I want more daylight in the evening, not in the morning!
    rgambs said:
    Yes.  Like I said before.  I want more daylight in the evening, not in the morning!
    Eh, I was just getting used to the sun starting to rise as I left the house, now its still an hour away.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Poncier said:
    rgambs said:
    Eh, I was just getting used to the sun starting to rise as I left the house, now its still an hour away.
    Morning is supposed to be dark.  The late afternoon, not so much.
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Just replying to acknowledge all the long time user names from the first couple of pages.  Some have left just to leave this place, some have left to leave this world.  Kind of makes me nostalgic for how long I've been around here.  Certainly through years of DST.  
    +1 :waving:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    Lizard said:
    +1 :waving:
    Yes, you were absolutely one of the ones I haven't seen around in a while.  But then again, I don't come here much myself any more.  New PJ music and tour news always brings me back though.  It really is amazing that life goes on for all of us but we still have this connection that brings us back to each other every so often.  That's pretty fucking cool if you ask me.