The Democratic Presidential Debates

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    DEBATE RANKING

1. Warren (fighting to survive. Killed Bloomberg all by herself)

2. Sanders (Energized and refuted attacks ("if not capitalist it must be communism" "Your healthcare plan is expensive" effecticly. 
    3. Pete (Best at showing an alternative to Sanders)

4. Biden (Not bad per se but disappeared a lot)
    5. Amy (think's her "punchlines" are smarter and more fun then they are)

6. Bloomberg (a Trump test dummie)
    You ranking @cincybearcat

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.
    Yeah and after finishing the debate last night...might need to move Warren up to the #1 and slide Pete down 1 spot.  While I didn't always like what she said or what she was doing, Warren dominated the narrative of the night.  Pete was solid, but got a little petty with Amy I thought...though Amy's responses to him did highlight potential risk with her....she may have finished below Bloomberg even.  Joe/Bernie was basically a wash and could be flipped.  I put Joe ahead because he benefited on stage the most by Bloomberg being attacked. Well, bernie benefited in that people didnt attack him as much as well.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    DEBATE RANKING

2. Sanders (Energized and refuted attacks ("if not capitalist it must be communism" "Your healthcare plan is expensive" effecticly. 

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.
    Yeah and after finishing the debate last night...might need to move Warren up to the #1 and slide Pete down 1 spot.  While I didn't always like what she said or what she was doing, Warren dominated the narrative of the night.  Pete was solid, but got a little petty with Amy I thought...though Amy's responses to him did highlight potential risk with her....she may have finished below Bloomberg even.  Joe/Bernie was basically a wash and could be flipped.  I put Joe ahead because he benefited on stage the most by Bloomberg being attacked. Well, bernie benefited in that people didnt attack him as much as well.
    There's a weird vibe between Pete and Amy.  She does not like him and takes what he says very personally, it appears. 
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    DEBATE RANKING

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.
    How do you all decide which candidates to call by their first names?
    ecdanc said:
    DEBATE RANKING

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.
    How do you all decide which candidates to call by their first names?
    Hahaha I wondered when someone would ask me that.  No magic bullet, just random mostly.  Except I don't really want to spell Pete's or Amy's last name all the time.  Usually pick the shorter of the 2 and go with it for the most part.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Oh and almost everyt ime I think about typing Liz, and then wonder if someone on an internet messageboard will claim it;s sexist or something so I go with Warren.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958

Warren proposes contract to free women from Bloomberg NDAs 

https://youtu.be/aa_1Ac0X860

Haha. Warren is back!

"In the end is gonna be Trump VS Someone, and I'm liking someone"

It's not surprising.  Warren wants people that signed loan contracts to get the benefit and not pay.  She want people who signed NDAs to get the whatever they got to agree to sign and then still not abide by the contract.  She is very consistent.
    Rich, powerful people can exert a lot of influence in these situations and buy off silence. It's right to press him on this, especially if he's running for President. He doesn't have to back down, but I think it's important that the public understands what they're getting in a candidate. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    Here's an interesting thought.  This, I fully admit, is hypothetical, but I like to get these thoughts down anyway:

There seems to be a wide spread feeling among Democratic voters that this year's Democratic primary is very frustrating.  Other than the die hard fans in each camp, many of us do not feel strongly about any of the front running candidates.  Most of us moderately to strongly dislike certain aspects of all or most of the candidates and many of us strongly dislike some of them altogether.  Yet, when we were talking about Andrew Yang, I heard very little negative feedback about him.  And that's not just here, that is in general.  He seems well liked and well likeable.  So why is he out of the race?  I believe it is money.  Sadly, in America, money wins the game.  (Bloomberg may well prove to be the exception.) 

So my wild assed hypothesis is this:  If every registered Democrat in America had made a one time donation of $10 to Andrew Yang's campaign, I believe he would be leading the pack.  True, he did not do well in the last debate he was in, but there were circumstances that contributed to that:  he was mostly ignored by the panel and given little time, he was exhausted from a crazy hard schedule trying to raise many and he also had to make more appearances than the others to get some exposure, and I have read that his mic was cut at times during the debate. 

The man is well liked by a broad spectrum of people.  If only, in a more perfect world.  If only.

I like yang but part of his problem is the same issue MB had last night, experience. It’s a lot to ask of Yang to take the stage and beat the experienced politician. Yes trump did that, but believe it or not he is a once in a generation highly skilled politician. As an outsider, he knew republicans were ripe for the taking, if he gave them guns and baby judges. And as an outsider, his outlandish attacks stick, something that only works with voters who like bullies, aka republicans 

MB also failed yesterday due to lack of experience. He was sucker punched by warren, mostly because as a woman warren gets away with crap that a man would not. And we have some sort of weird ritual where it’s ok to publicly berate a billionaire. I wonder if any politician other than trump mocked Bernie in the days he had less money, how that would have flied with the voters.
    You still at it with the reverse sexism shtick?

Love to hear an example of a man getting away with that language on a debate stage and an attack like that without verification. 

#Warrenistrump
    DEBATE RANKING

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.

Warren was an aggressive bully, cut people off, acted with entitlement with her expectation to always speak and slandered a candidate without evidence. We already have someone similar and he is president. On top of all that she is a horse faced liar.
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    Here's an interesting thought.  This, I fully admit, is hypothetical, but I like to get these thoughts down anyway:

There seems to be a wide spread feeling among Democratic voters that this year's Democratic primary is very frustrating.  Other than the die hard fans in each camp, many of us do not feel strongly about any of the front running candidates.  Most of us moderately to strongly dislike certain aspects of all or most of the candidates and many of us strongly dislike some of them altogether.  Yet, when we were talking about Andrew Yang, I heard very little negative feedback about him.  And that's not just here, that is in general.  He seems well liked and well likeable.  So why is he out of the race?  I believe it is money.  Sadly, in America, money wins the game.  (Bloomberg may well prove to be the exception.) 

So my wild assed hypothesis is this:  If every registered Democrat in America had made a one time donation of $10 to Andrew Yang's campaign, I believe he would be leading the pack.  True, he did not do well in the last debate he was in, but there were circumstances that contributed to that:  he was mostly ignored by the panel and given little time, he was exhausted from a crazy hard schedule trying to raise many and he also had to make more appearances than the others to get some exposure, and I have read that his mic was cut at times during the debate. 

The man is well liked by a broad spectrum of people.  If only, in a more perfect world.  If only.

I like yang but part of his problem is the same issue MB had last night, experience. It’s a lot to ask of Yang to take the stage and beat the experienced politician. Yes trump did that, but believe it or not he is a once in a generation highly skilled politician. As an outsider, he knew republicans were ripe for the taking, if he gave them guns and baby judges. And as an outsider, his outlandish attacks stick, something that only works with voters who like bullies, aka republicans 

MB also failed yesterday due to lack of experience. He was sucker punched by warren, mostly because as a woman warren gets away with crap that a man would not. And we have some sort of weird ritual where it’s ok to publicly berate a billionaire. I wonder if any politician other than trump mocked Bernie in the days he had less money, how that would have flied with the voters.
    You still at it with the reverse sexism shtick?

Love to hear an example of a man getting away with that language on a debate stage and an attack like that without verification. 

#Warrenistrump
    Your hashtag includes the man you're looking for. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    DEBATE RANKING

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.

Warren was an aggressive bully, cut people off, acted with entitlement with her expectation to always speak and slandered a candidate without evidence. We already have someone similar and he is president. On top of all that she is a horse faced liar.

DEBATE RANKING

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.

Is Warren responsible for Pearl Jam only playing one show at MSG? Is that why your statements are transitioning into the blatantly sexist?
    mrussel1 said:
    DEBATE RANKING

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.
    There's a weird vibe between Pete and Amy.  She does not like him and takes what he says very personally, it appears. 

One will receive great pressure to drop out on March 4. It's literally survivor.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited February 2020
    DEBATE RANKING

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.

I agree with all of this (well maybe not the "horse-faced" part), but since it was directed at Bloomberg, I found it entertaining. 

Speaking of Bloomberg, he really, really bombed in the face of Warren's attacks. Trump had to weather that same storm in his first GOP debate ("Mr. Trump, you've called women you don't like fat pigs, disgusting slobs...….") Trump's response? "Only Rosie O'Donnell!" Was that very mean towards Rosie O'Donnell? Of course. But ya know what he was really saying there? "Yeah, I said that shit. I'm an asshole. DEAL WITH IT." 

So faced with the exact same (legitimate, by the way) attack on their character, Trump diffused the situation with a one-liner, while Bloomberg stood there and let Warren neuter him. THIS is the guy who's entire campaign is based on "I can beat Donald Trump?" And how? What is his argument against Trump? That Trump's a mean, corrupt, asshole? Yeah......and? We all know that. Is Bloomberg going to suggest that he's a legit businessman and Trump's a fraud? That'd be true, but with the economy doing so well, and unemployment at an all-time low, what person that bases their vote on something like the economy is going to care that Trump bankrupted casinos decades ago? As long as things are going well economically now...
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    DEBATE RANKING

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.

And you forgot about the part where she won the debate by mopping the floor with your candidate.

She exposed Bloomberg's vulnerabilitys as a candidate and should be thanked for it.

Warren is Trump, that's pretty cute.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    edited February 2020
    didnt Bloomberg explicitly state he was only going to attack trump?  like yang and steyer , he was going to lay out his record and vision? that trump was the enemy......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    mickeyrat said:
    didnt Bloomberg explicitly state he was only going to attack trump?  like yang and steyer , he was going to lay out his record and vision? that trump was the enemy......
    On his commercials he's doing two things none of the other dems are really doing: aligning himself with Obama and going after Trump.  These seem to be good strategies.  Who knew a guy doing that, that has been mayor of the biggest city in the Country (probably higher profile than most governorships) would be so un-ready for prime time?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    edited February 2020
    Folks,

Here's the thing...after yesterday's unsurprising news that Russia is at it again and Trump is covering it up, we all have to be on the same page. That's number one.

Number two...no matter who the nominee is, a moderate billionaire with a sexist past from a sexist time, a former Obama VP, or a socialist senator from Vermont who is closer to the NRA than most would like.....one thing is clear---WE ALL HAVE TO UNITE BEHIND WHOMEVER IS THE NOMINEE.

Donald Trump is an existential risk to our democracy. Defeating him is more important than literally ANY OTHER ISSUE in this campaign. I really hope the candidates in the next debate focus on that instead of tearing each other down. That's number three (Biden voice).

You know I am an independent. My views are moderate mostly. But I can tell with 100% certainty that I will back Bernie or Elizabeth, or the reincarnation of Hillary as a result of a brokered convention. I also pledge to volunteer my time to help whomever it is. I hope you all will do the same.

Quit the bickering. Focus on the most important thing that unites all of us------defeating this fucking Russian stooge in November. Literally the future of the country is dependent upon this.  Anything else you care about policy-wise should be a distant second. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Folks,

Here's the thing...after yesterday's unsurprising news that Russia is at it again and Trump is covering it up, we all have to be on the same page. That's number one.

Number two...no matter who the nominee is, a moderate billionaire with a sexist past from a sexist time, a former Obama VP, or a socialist senator from Vermont who is closer to the NRA than most would like.....one thing is clear---WE ALL HAVE TO UNITE BEHIND WHOMEVER IS THE NOMINEE.

Donald Trump is an existential risk to our democracy. Defeating him is more important than literally ANY OTHER ISSUE in this campaign. I really hope the candidates in the next debate focus on that instead of tearing each other down. That's number three (Biden voice).

You know I am an independent. My views are moderate mostly. But I can tell with 100% certainty that I will back Bernie or Elizabeth, or the reincarnation of Hillary as a result of a brokered convention. I also pledge to volunteer my time to help whomever it is. I hope you all will do the same.

Quit the bickering. Focus on the most important thing that unites all of us------defeating this fucking Russian stooge in November. Literally the future of the country is dependent upon this.  Anything else you care about policy-wise should be a distant second. 
    Donald Trump is the apotheosis of American democracy, not a threat to it. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    Folks,

can I stop waiiting for witnesses to be called now?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Folks,

can I stop waiiting for witnesses to be called now?
    Thank god for Mitt Romney, man. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Folks,

That all sounds well and good, Juggler. But if Sanders goes into the convention with the most delegates, but not the 1,991 he needs to secure the nomination, and the superdelegates give the nomination to someone else, forget about beating Trump, I think it could be an electoral death-sentence for the Democrats. Let's say, hypothetically, that Sanders gets 33% of the total votes in the primary and that's the plurality, but he doesn't receive the nomination. Well that's 33% of registered democrats that might tell the party to fuck off forever. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Folks,

That all sounds well and good, Juggler. But if Sanders goes into the convention with the most delegates, but not the 1,991 he needs to secure the nomination, and the superdelegates give the nomination to someone else, forget about beating Trump, I think it could be an electoral death-sentence for the Democrats. Let's say, hypothetically, that Sanders gets 33% of the total votes in the primary and that's the plurality, but he doesn't receive the nomination. Well that's 33% of registered democrats that might tell the party to fuck off forever. 
    I've said this many times, democrats love finding ways to lose elections they should win.

Doesn't mean we can't do whatever we can to help whoever the nominee is
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mrussel1 said:
    DEBATE RANKING

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.
    I dont think anyone in the race likes Pete. Honestly. Hes like that dude from The Big Bang Theory. 

i think the rest have respect for eachother. But they don’t like Pete. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2020
    Folks,

I've said this many times, democrats love finding ways to lose elections they should win.

Like bringing out tired run of the mill american-right-wing-moderates that don’t excite anyone, with talks about change being a powerpoint bulletpoint and not something from the heart. 

Proven by history.

So Sanders or Warren is the answer. Not another KerryGoreHillary  
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited February 2020
    Folks,

That's true. I just think, in this scenario where Sanders has a plurality but not the majority, granting him the nomination likely will bode well for Trump's re-election, but to deny him the nomination will have ramifications that go well beyond the Trump presidency. Would you rather four more years of Trump as President while the Democrats are forced to FINALLY get their act together. Or would your rather risk creating a great possibility of President Donald Trump Jr? And maybe 20 years from now (the way the Democrats' "resistance" is going)....Empress Ivanka?

I personally think Trump will beat whoever the nominee is. So for the sake of their democratic party's future, the DNC better not fuck with their voters and say "Sure you like Bernie Sanders, but we're smarter than you and we know he can't beat Trump, so here's Bloomberg." That would blow up in their faces two-fold. First off, they'll piss off a large portion of their party, and secondly, in my opinion, Bloomberg will lose anyway. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Folks,

That's true. I just think, in this scenario where Sanders has a plurality but not the majority, granting him the nomination likely will bode well for Trump's re-election, but to deny him the nomination will have ramifications that go well beyond the Trump presidency....

I personally think Trump will beat whoever the nominee is. So for the sake of their democratic party's future, the DNC better not fuck with their voters and say "Sure you like Bernie Sanders, but we're smarter than you and we know he can't beat Trump, so here's Bloomberg." That would blow up in their faces two-fold. First off, they'll piss off a large portion of their party, and secondly, in my opinion, Bloomberg will lose anyway. 
    You're not exactly going out on a limb predicting treacherous waters if there is a brokered convention, dude. Of course that will dramatically weaken whoever is the nominee. 

My point is a simple one--no matter who it is/no matter how it plays out, support him/her and stop driving wedges before it's too late. The democrats have, once again, offered up a less than ideal field of candidates. Trump should be easy to beat but they are stepping all over themselves yet again. We gotta come together. Too much is at stake. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Folks,

That's true. I just think, in this scenario where Sanders has a plurality but not the majority, granting him the nomination likely will bode well for Trump's re-election, but to deny him the nomination will have ramifications that go well beyond the Trump presidency....

You're not exactly going out on a limb predicting treacherous waters if there is a brokered convention, dude. Of course that will dramatically weaken whoever is the nominee. 

My point is a simple one--no matter who it is/no matter how it plays out, support him/her and stop driving wedges before it's too late. The democrats have, once again, offered up a less than ideal field of candidates. Trump should be easy to beat but they are stepping all over themselves yet again. We gotta come together. Too much is at stake. 
    One of whom is one of the most popular politicians in the country. Weak!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    DEBATE RANKING

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.
    I dont think anyone in the race likes Pete. Honestly. Hes like that dude from The Big Bang Theory. 

Why would an adult dislike someone based on similarity to a character from a sitcom?
    ecdanc said:
    Folks,

One of whom is one of the most popular politicians in the country. Weak!
    lol...love your spirit man. Keep it up
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DEBATE RANKING

1) Pete
    2) Warren

3) Joe
    4) Bernie

5) Amy
    6) Bloomberg

Not that different.

Why would an adult dislike someone based on similarity to a character from a sitcom?
    I don't think they are making that specific connection...

Amy: Man, Pete is just to much like Sheldon
    Joe: Fo sho
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
This discussion has been closed.