Options

Not happy that there is an opening act on this first NA leg

Comments

• Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    Why should you be happy? PJ fans are infamous for being unsatisfied.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    mpedone said:
    I mean it is an incredibly easy solution - go to the show after the opener if you don't want to see them, or use the opener as your pre-game time and grab a beer with someone

I doubt Pearl Jam designed it so the sets would be shorter

But, you have to be there before the opener, just in case PJ comes out and play a super-secret and then personally hands out beers and tambos to everyone in the pit! If you skip the opener, you might miss out!
    Snark aside, the old days were fun when Ed would do a song solo before the opener and sometimes join the opener. There really was incentive to get in there even if you weren't totally familiar with the first band.
  • Options
    tusevuntusevun Posts: 218
    I'm happy there's an opener. Then at least you get a gist of when PJ is going to come on. In Boston last year, they told us to be to our seats at a certain time, and the band didn't come out for like another 40 minutes.

As isn't Jack Irons on drums? I know he plays on the record. But is he touring too? That would be cool as hell. 

Is he in your band?

Klinghoffer: I don’t have a band at the moment. The Pearl Jam tour is going to be me by myself.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    shecky said:
    Why should you be happy? PJ fans are infamous for being unsatisfied.
    Fair point

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    I heard they are co-headlining. Some nights Pearl Jam will go on first. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    tusevun said:
    I'm happy there's an opener. Then at least you get a gist of when PJ is going to come on. In Boston last year, they told us to be to our seats at a certain time, and the band didn't come out for like another 40 minutes.

As isn't Jack Irons on drums? I know he plays on the record. But is he touring too? That would be cool as hell. 

Is he in your band?

Klinghoffer: I don’t have a band at the moment. The Pearl Jam tour is going to be me by myself.

Bummer. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Maybe get some more of this...

• Options
    Be happy they're not playing a festival.  Those are really short and tend to lean towards greatest hits.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Be happy they're not playing a festival.  Those are really short and tend to lean towards greatest hits.
    I saw Pearl Jam do a 3 hour festival show, so that is not always the case!
  • Options
    I saw Pearl Jam do a 3 hour festival show, so that is not always the case!

It' not the case whether the sole act, festival or an opening band.  Very strange this narrative.
  • Options
    rollings said:
    Matts3221 said:
    I think it is great an opening band is going out with them , not sure why you would not want to hear new music. Instead of standing around for hours waiting for PJ to come out you get an opening band. Plus it will get people into their seats when their set is over. Never understand why people hate hearing a band they have not heard before.
    This is what I was getting at (sorry Matts for using your post as example ) 

No worries , its a pretty simply concept , having an opening band , if people are waiting around outside the venue or getting a drink down the street or whatever they are doing. When the opening band is on they know "oh ok after this set PJ is coming on " will get people to move towards there seats. Honestly if there was an opening at the Fenway Shows in 18 I think they would not have come out so late.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    man, I would love to see the band this year... have fun- all who attend.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    Several comments

1.  I'm happy the band is still touring and playing shows
    2.  I see nothing, yet at least, that the sets aren't going to be around 30 songs
    3.  At worse, a new band I checked out live and not having to wait for the seats to fill before live music is played
    4.  People need to stop being fickle, the band is touring and playing live shows this year
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Wow, go figure. Someone not happy about something.  =)  :|
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Go listen to new music.  

Go for the sizzle, stay for the steak!
    It’s usually fried bologna, at best. IME, the opening bands have generally ranged from “I’m getting as far away from this noise as possible(Sonic Youth, Bad Religon, Gob Roberts) to “I can tolerate this for 30 minutes(Sparta, Buzzcocks, Death Cab For Cutie). Only one I can say that’s really stuck is Band of Horses and they can be sorta one note.
  • Options
    Haha I wish I got to see Sonic Youth open for them. Half of the reason just to watch everyone hate on it.
  • Options
    Haha I wish I got to see Sonic Youth open for them. Half of the reason just to watch everyone hate on it.
    I saw Sonic Youth open for them once. I think in 2000. As I was walking in, the two Sonic Youth guitar players were having a lightsaber battle with their guitars and creating all types of fuzz and feedback (aka...insufferable noise). 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Smellyman said:
    Maybe get some more of this...

How come no one holds their phones sideways when videotaping? They all like those black bars on the sides?
  • Options
    I saw Sonic Youth open for them once. I think in 2000. As I was walking in, the two Sonic Youth guitar players were having a lightsaber battle with their guitars and creating all types of fuzz and feedback (aka...insufferable noise). 
    I looked up at the video screen and they had a guitar on the ground, foot on the strings and wringing the whammy bar....couldn’t tell the difference between that and when they were actually playing.
  • Options
    Ngl sounds awesome, I guess insufferable noise is sort of my bag tho
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2020
    Im deeply disappointed I never got to see Sonic Youth live. Bad Religion is facking killer live.  
    But for sure there are a lot of “easy listening” PJ fans. They are the ones who like all their pretty songs and they like to sing along. 

To each their own. I can’t wait to see Josh K (3 times!) and the Pixies (twice!) opening for PJ in 2020.  Having opening acts is the cool thing to do. If a thousand people in the crowd dig it who never heard it before, awesome. 
    If you hate it... get in line for beers or show up late. No one cares. 
  • Options
    Im deeply disappointed I never got to see Sonic Youth live. Bad Religion is facking killer live.  
    But for sure there are a lot of “easy listening” PJ fans. They are the ones who like all their pretty songs and they like to sing along. 

To each their own. I can’t wait to see Josh K (3 times!) and the Pixies (twice!) opening for PJ in 2020.  Having opening acts is the cool thing to do. If a thousand people in the crowd dig it who never heard it before, awesome. 

Saw Frank Black open in 98.  He was good.
  • Options
    I once saw Chris Cornell open for Linkin Park, the girl next to me asked her boyfriend who the opening act was and he replied Chris Cornell. She then followed up with Never heard of him but I guess everyone needs to get their start somewhere! She then got an education lol
  • Options
    I love their choices for opening acts.  I've seen Iggy Pop, Ben Harper, Sonic Youth, Band of Hoses, Sleater Kinney, Mudhoney, Bad Religion and probably some others.  Going to have to check out pluralone
    8/28/98, 9/8/98, 8/3/00, 8/23/00, 8/24/00,8/27/00, 9/1/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/9/03, 7/14/03, 5/31/06
    6/3/06, 6/19/08, EV 8/7/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 05/18/10, EV 6/18/11, 10/25/13, 4/29/16, 9/2/18
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347

Very well put.  I can’t believe I’m reading complaints about getting to see Sonic Youth and Pearl Jam in one show.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,025
    Ngl sounds awesome, I guess insufferable noise is sort of my bag tho

Yeah, sounds great. Sonic Youth never failed to impress.

Highly recommend the best band put of Seattle in the last 25 years - Sunn O)))
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options

Very well put.  I can’t believe I’m reading complaints about getting to see Sonic Youth and Pearl Jam in one show.
    You can’t believe that people into a classic rock styled band aren’t into noise rock pioneers? I figured we’d get the couple recognizable SY songs and a fairly safe set. What we got was a 45 minute (non)musical abortion. Other fan feedback, irl and on board  I heard was even less kind. 

I’m fairly open minded and very tolerant of opening bands but some of their openers have just been bad and get by solely on hipster cred. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Seems like a lot of this can come down to whether you're a broad music fan or if you just like certain bands. I'm definitely the former so I appreciate getting to check out a band without committing to one of their own shows. Sonic Youth didn't do much for me but I'm glad I got to see them and without shelling out for a headlining show. Same with the Buzzcocks.
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,865

I would LOVE to see the Pixies open for PJ! It was tempting to go to Italy just for that!
    I do enjoy it when the opener is someone I know. Was bummed to miss Band of Horses open for them a few years back. Loved seeing Dino Jr open for Foo Fighters a couple of years ago. I don't mind when it's a band I've not heard. Sometimes, that leads to me checking them out (At The Drive-In blew me away when they opened for Rage). At worst, if we're not into it (like with whatever Motley Crue-wannabe opened for Ghost on their most recent tour), we hang out on the concourse until they wrap up and people watch (of course, this won't be as good at PJ as it was at Ghost, but whatever).
    All that said, I hope I like Pluralone, as I'll be seeing it four times! I guess if it doesn't do much for me at the first couple of shows, we'll know to take our time getting in!
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA