Options

Not happy that there is an opening act on this first NA leg

Comments

• Options
    LYackyLYacky 🇨🇦 Posts: 72
    the only shows this would effect would be the first couple. 

Once the production team and bands are on the same page, it will work like clockwork. You cant tell me PJ is touring for a new album and NOT going to be playing 3 hour shows. 

This is a classic case of bitching before we even see how it works out. 

I didn't think I sounded bitchy. I even had a classic LOL in the original post.

As far as im concerned, something made you type this out and start a new thread on it instead of just going to the Pluralone thread. 

I didn't scour the forum before posting. I had a thought, I posted it.
    semi gutted
    ohhhh you're trolling. I get it now.  
    I think "trolling" is a bit harsh. I don't think there's anything wrong with his post. As I said above I'm all for supporting & listening to new bands too, just not at the expense of PJ stage time. I'm sure it'll be fine tho. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    Did everyone forget that PJ used to tour all the time with openers and the main set length never suffered?
    Sort of.  I remember pre-2013 tours having openers, but set times seemed to vary between 2 hours and 2h40m.     I felt if the band played 2 hours they were doing their minimum (ahem Seattle 09).  If they played over 2.5 hours they were really into it.   3 hour shows prior to 2013 were a rarity.  If you got one, it was definitely special.

2013 upped the bar.  Almost every show was 3 hours, and some of them towards the end got closer to 3.5 hours (Vancouver/Seattle).   It was amazing to get that every night.  The problem is you get use to it.   They raise their own bar.  To go back from 3 hour+ shows to 2 hour+ shows will be tough.  Just because we got that taste.

The good news is that it's possible the shows continue to be 3 hours.   Mudhoney opened those final dates of the 2013 tour and PJ still went the distance.   Shows end past midnight, which means (at least in Vancouver) they paid a fine for having done so.    Maybe $5 of every ticket should to go to the "pay the fine for breaking curfew fund" :)
  • Options
    Is Ed going to come out before the openers and play like he did back in the day?
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,785
    Related image
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    Be glad there is a tour for you to see. It’s been 6 years since they played in Australia
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,785
    goldrush said:
    Be glad there is a tour for you to see. It’s been 6 years since they played in Australia
    Image result for customer complaint gif
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    Remove Porch, Evenflow and RVM. Just made up 27 mins. 
  • Options
    unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    edited January 2020
    I've never thought a show suffers from having a support act, I've seen PJ play 3 hour festival sets so doubt that a support act will make much difference!
  • Options
    Remove Porch, Evenflow and RVM. Just made up 27 mins. 
    Facts. or put them on a rotation
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,890
    Did everyone forget that PJ used to tour all the time with openers and the main set length never suffered?
    I recall a show in 2003 where they had TWO openers. It was a little weird; the first band just played acoustic versions of PJ songs before Sleater-Kinney played. Then, Eddie brought them all out for Fortunate Son and RITFW. 
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    I’ve never understood this complaint. The schedule is made by PJ. If they want to play 2 hours or 4 it’s up to them. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,400
    ComeToTX said:
    I’ve never understood this complaint. The schedule is made by PJ. If they want to play 2 hours or 4 it’s up to them. 
    I just think it kills some of the excitement and anticipation. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,206
    Maybe we’ll get an Eddie preshow!
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    I'm excited to get a new experience also. PJ has introduced me to lots of great music.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
    Apparently.  Also, the amount of bitching about openers in general is kind of embarrassing imo
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I'm glad Josh Klinghoffer's new project is opening. Maybe Jack Irons will even be there? Caught RHCP a couple of years ago and Jack opened along with BabyMetal. That show was a lot of fun. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 741
    I much prefer no opening act as well. I did notice though at Fenway in  2018 the sets were a bit shorter. By all means, a bit shorter is still a long concert by today's standards. I think they are getting old and Ed's voice cannot handle 3 hour shows anymore. As much as it sucks, I can understand it. They spoiled us. 
  • Options
    JoshoeuhJoshoeuh Posts: 167
    Became a Band of Horses fan when they opened in 2010. I’m supportive of this. 
    Columbus 2010 - Atlanta 2012 - Charlotte 2013
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,092
    Pearl Jam has rarely steered me wrong.  I have loved "an evening with Pearl Jam" but I have also loved many openers.  Their openers have turned me into a fan of many excellent bands over the years.
  • Options
    phaqewphaqew Posts: 18
    Pearl Jam has always had openers. My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses, Ben Harper, Social DIstortion, Bad Religion, etc etc. 
    Ive never had an issue with who they choose to warm up for them. always a good show. Im looking forward to hearing Pluralone. They wouldnt be on my radar otherwise.
  • Options
    Lame. No thought whatsoever for Josh K. (Friend of the band) and what he has gone through recently.  An “lol” in there doesn’t diminish the thoughtlessness of this post. 
  • Options
    JR86440 said:
    I much prefer no opening act as well. I did notice though at Fenway in  2018 the sets were a bit shorter. By all means, a bit shorter is still a long concert by today's standards. I think they are getting old and Ed's voice cannot handle 3 hour shows anymore. As much as it sucks, I can understand it. They spoiled us. 
    I believe they were 2h45m. They had some cross outs and I feel like it because no one got to their seats for the longest time.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I appreciate a good opening band.  Just saw The Lumineers a week ago.  They had two opening bands just like they did the previous time we saw them.  (Margaret Glaspy and Andrew Bird in 2017.)  This time was J.S. Ondara and Mt. Joy.  Both are bands I have never heard before and enjoyed.  Even my daughter texted me, "I think they are actually good!"  (She's seen a few bad opening bands with us.)  The National is also pretty good about trying to have people open for them who we may not have seen or heard.  

Trust the band.  Trust the process.  It'll all be good.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 785
    So glad this is happening and Josh is opening.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    PJ's opening acts now will always have a sizeable crowd to play for down front in the gotta-get-GA-gotta-get-rail crowd.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,040
    Surprise surprise another thread on this forum complaining about something. You don’t like it, don’t go to the show. It’s not complicated. 
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,925
    When they had  Midlake and Mudhoney opening for them on the second leg of 2013, these were the set lengths. I think we're gonna be alright. And the 2 Fenway shows in 2018 were 30 songs each and that was coming on stage fairly late.  

Dallas 33
    Oklahoma 31
    Portland 34
    Spokane 34
    Calgary 32
    Vancouver 36
    Seattle 37

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    So excited for these shows.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,850
    JimmyV said:
    So excited for these shows.
    31 more days for me. Damn you leap year! :anguished:
  • Options
    I mean it is an incredibly easy solution - go to the show after the opener if you don't want to see them, or use the opener as your pre-game time and grab a beer with someone

I doubt Pearl Jam designed it so the sets would be shorter