The Golf Thread

Comments

• Beer is my version of the Tour Striker these days.  Has anyone tried CBD while golfing?  I think I may give it a try.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Have not tried CBD yet but was looking for it a few months ago as my grocery store was supposed to be selling it. 
    edited February 2020

https://www.golf.com/news/2020/02/05/phil-mickelson-distance-report-sport-governed-amateurs-usga/

I'm not a big fan of Phil at times.  This is one of them.  It is such a simple solution to roll the ball back so we don't have to build 8,000 yard golf courses.  He sounds self-serving here.  When you make a lot of money endorsing clubs and golf balls, you certainly aren't going to want to hurt equipment manufacture's business.   No matter what you do to the ball, longer hitters will hit it shorter than shorter hitters (so advantage to long hitters).   Long drives and wedges on courses with no trees or water are not exciting to watch (other than the majors because they are majors).   I forget who said it, but they said back in the early 90's "to Tiger proof a golf course you should make it shorter". 

Golf is very unique though.  Unlike hockey, football, baseball and basketball every course is different.  It would be difficult to narrow down to one type of ball or one type of club.  But distance should be easy to fix.  Does the game need the manufacturers to thrive?     

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    One of my favorite tournaments of the year to watch.  Pebble Beach is such a beautiful place...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    One of my favorite tournaments of the year to watch.  Pebble Beach is such a beautiful place...
    Yeah, I enjoy it too. Hardos hate on it since the Ams slow it down so much and they give so much time to them, but I could watch anyone play Pebble.

Have Day in my one and done, so in a good spot for the weekend.
    Yeah, I enjoy it too. Hardos hate on it since the Ams slow it down so much and they give so much time to them, but I could watch anyone play Pebble.

I honestly wish they would show more of the amateurs....it feels like they barely show them most of the time unless it's Bill Murray.  Wish he would just go away.

Also went with Day in my one and done....he's looking really good so far.  Phil out there tearing it up as usual....almost went with him but got scared away since he's pretty much been garbage since this tournament last year.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383

I honestly wish they would show more of the amateurs....it feels like they barely show them most of the time unless it's Bill Murray.  Wish he would just go away.

another source of agreement! :smiley:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

Also went with Day in my one and done....he's looking really good so far.  Phil out there tearing it up as usual....almost went with him but got scared away since he's pretty much been garbage since this tournament last year.
    Today was pretty painful. A top 5 course and you get some country star launching his putter 30 feet in the air, with multiple replays. And you get Larry the cable guy blading a bunker shot, bouncing off the grand stand to 15 feet. I only saw part of today but it seemed like a snl broadcast 
    Oh and Macklemore riding some scooter thing. Today was horrible 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Keep seeing "The Chase for 83 Everywhere." Must be kind of a big deal? ha

Go get 'em Tiger!
    chinese-happy.jpg

Go get 'em Tiger!
    Because a marketing campaign says it is?

Go get 'em Tiger!
    Because a marketing campaign says it is?
    yes.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    One of my favorite holes in all of golf this weekend. Wish they just had featured hole coverage on 10.  On vacation for this entire tournament, so won't see anything.
    Putting poorly again. Hopefully just getting this out of his system before Augusta...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    He sucks at this course.  Very strange that he has played there so many times without a victory.
    Nice win for Adam Scott.
    He sucks at this course.  Very strange that he has played there so many times without a victory.
    He’s gotta start putting better. Last place finish, dead last in putting as well. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    That was a fun tournament.  A great field and a really tough course.  

Surprised to see so many guys dropping out of the WGC Mexico tourney this week...
    edited February 2020
    I think these WGC’s fall behind four majors, the players, fedex playoffs, The Memorial, and Tiger’s tourney.  So when at best they are the 11th highest profile tourney of the year they aren’t that big a deal.  Squeeze them into a packed schedule and then they get even less attendance.

This year there is the Ryder Cup and Olympics too.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    I think these WGC’s fall behind four majors, the players, fedex playoffs, The Memorial, and Tiger’s tourney.  So when at best they are the 11th highest profile tourney of the year they aren’t that big a deal.  Squeeze them into a packed schedule and then they get even less attendance.

Oh yeah definitely not prestigious or anything but they're a guaranteed payday with no cut so usually the fields there are pretty stacked.  
    Bought some golf course architecture books.  Knowing myself they’ll sit unread for years.  Hope not though.  
    Patrick Reed is one hell of a putter. Great leaderboard yesterday. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Bought some golf course architecture books.  Knowing myself they’ll sit unread for years.  Hope not though.  
    Nerd!  B)
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Nerd!  B)

What is the phrase?  Those who can't do, teach?   At least I can tell people this is an Eden Hole when I'm shooting a 105 with them.
  • One of my favorite holes in all of golf this weekend. Wish they just had featured hole coverage on 10.  On vacation for this entire tournament, so won't see anything.
    We went to Riv for the first time this year, and after walking the whole course, sat in the stands they have set up right of the green on 10.  It's cool to see all the ways the hole can be played.  Saw Ryan Armour drive it on the front left of the green, then his 90 foot putt went into the back bunker.  He made a great/nearly impossible up and down from there for par.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    ddeschler said:
    One of my favorite holes in all of golf this weekend. Wish they just had featured hole coverage on 10.  On vacation for this entire tournament, so won't see anything.
    We went to Riv for the first time this year, and after walking the whole course, sat in the stands they have set up right of the green on 10.  It's cool to see all the ways the hole can be played.  Saw Ryan Armour drive it on the front left of the green, then his 90 foot putt went into the back bunker.  He made a great/nearly impossible up and down from there for par.
    That is awesome.  Love me some putting into bunkers.  Would love to sit at both the tee and green on that hole.  Sounds like fun.

18 is an awesome hole too.  A great course overall.
    All the rage these days.  Interested in what you have to say.

Follow the Fried Egg on twitter
    No Tiger at Bay Hill has to be at least a little concerning.

Definitely not making the Olympics.
    Yeah no shot at the Olympics for him unless he wins once or twice before the cutoff to qualify.

PGA National is such a brutal course.  Kinda fun to watch these guys struggle so much.  Crazy to see a guy like Koepka +8 and nowhere near the cut.  
    Yeah no shot at the Olympics for him unless he wins once or twice before the cutoff to qualify.

PGA National is such a brutal course.  Kinda fun to watch these guys struggle so much.  Crazy to see a guy like Koepka +8 and nowhere near the cut.  
    Yeah, man. I haven't been able to see any of it, but the scores are awesome.

Have Fleetwood this week so liking his start.