***Petition: PJ, Please Play A Tragically Hip Song In Ottawa***

Comments

• jpequjpequ Posts: 142
    I also would love to see this. To me, the hip are the "other band" that plays an original set list at every show, and every song is alive in that it's not really played the exact same way twice.
    That being said, Cordelia or Twist My Arm would be my picks if I had any say.
  • PJPATPJPAT Posts: 399
    I am making the trip to Toronto just for the chance to see a Hip cover.  Saw the Hip in the Chicago area many times.  Great band that made it in the States IMO.  Lucky to have made the London show on the last tour.

Ed will say something.  Maybe play Light Years in tribute like he did in Wrigley.  Can't decide what cover I would want.  Little Bones, Cordelia, Wheat Kings, Scared, Fiddlers Green, Ahead By a Century, So hard done by etc...
    Can not wait!
    "All the money you make will never buy back your soul" Bob Dylan

"I need honesty, I need truth, and I need hope...I need it! That's what music means to me." EV
  • PJPAT said:
    Ed will say something.  Maybe play Light Years in tribute like he did in Wrigley.  Can't decide what cover I would want.  Little Bones, Cordelia, Wheat Kings, Scared, Fiddlers Green, Ahead By a Century, So hard done by etc...
    Can not wait!
    He said something about Gordie and the CBC broadcast during Wrigley 1 in 2016. A beautiful nod, but I think that's all we're ever likely to get.
  • hmm not sure which song of theirs would be my favourite

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    even as a guy who voted trudeau twice, I think it would be pretty funny if he dedicated Fuckin' Up in Ottawa to our scandal-plagued PM. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

but yeah, if they ever covered the hip, it would be in toronto. a guy hopefully going to ottawa can dream though. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    PJPAT said:
    Can not wait!
    He said something about Gordie and the CBC broadcast during Wrigley 1 in 2016. A beautiful nod, but I think that's all we're ever likely to get.

That and Jeff wearing the "Gord Fucking Downie" shirt were pretty amazing.
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • guitar101 said:
    PJPAT said:
    Can not wait!

That and Jeff wearing the "Gord Fucking Downie" shirt were pretty amazing.
    That was pretty cool but a fan gave him that.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2020
    PJPAT said:
    Can not wait!
    That’s why I said he would probably say something... the precedent is there. 
    My point was, they may have considered a cover but an equally (if not more) popular Canadian rock musician from Ontario passed away. If they do one cover they may feel they have to do both for Fear of doing a disservice to either.
    Instead, I envision Ed talking about both gentlemen and the horrible disease that got them both. After which, they will dedicate a song to both of them.  Come Back, Long Road, something like that. 

PJPAT said:
    Can not wait!
    That’s why I said he would probably say something... the precedent is there. 
    My point was, they may have considered a cover but an equally (if not more) popular Canadian rock musician from Ontario passed away. If they do one cover they may feel they have to do both for Fear of doing a disservice to either.
    Instead, I envision Ed talking about both gentlemen and the horrible disease that got them both. After which, they will dedicate a song to both of them.  Come Back, Long Road, something like that. 

yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense. too bad, honestly. I would LOVE to hear them do the Hip. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

benjs said:
    I must be the only person in this country that can't stand the Hip, never listened to the Hip, and hopes to God this band never covers the Hip...with all due respect.
    Completely agree. Good Downie sounds like (and looks like) a cheap Michael Stipe ripoff. The band make derivative crap, and their live performance I saw at Massey Hall a few years back was godawful. I remember the guy constantly wiping his sweaty brow with a rag, then holding it out over the audience, waiting for people to cheer and beg for the rag - which he gave them and grabbed a new one. Gross.
    @benjs

I keep coming back to how I just can't understand this view. to each their own, but sounds like michael stipe? I don't find that at all. I'm not at all an REM fan, and I've tried.

full disclosure: I was the only person in my entire group of friends that hated it when people would put on Road Apples at parties. But I was deeply rooted in my Metallica and Nirvana ways at the time. I wanted nothing else. But when I opened myself up musically, I found the beauty in what these guys made together. 

they make derivative crap? derivative of what? they write blues rock and later a more alternative sound with an incredible lyricist and poet. 

he's probably one of the few front men of a mainstream rock band that I would consider a "performance artist". he's well aware of the absurdity of his actions on stage. that's why he was the polar opposite in real life. that performance piece I have seen him do. he's playfully mocking the rock star and the fan at the same time. 

you also might want to give Gord's solo work a shot. He's made several solo records, and all of them are very interesting in their own ways. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    love to see wheat kings in hamilton
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    benjs said:
    I must be the only person in this country that can't stand the Hip, never listened to the Hip, and hopes to God this band never covers the Hip...with all due respect.
    Completely agree. Good Downie sounds like (and looks like) a cheap Michael Stipe ripoff. The band make derivative crap, and their live performance I saw at Massey Hall a few years back was godawful. I remember the guy constantly wiping his sweaty brow with a rag, then holding it out over the audience, waiting for people to cheer and beg for the rag - which he gave them and grabbed a new one. Gross.
    @benjs

I keep coming back to how I just can't understand this view. to each their own, but sounds like michael stipe? I don't find that at all. I'm not at all an REM fan, and I've tried.

full disclosure: I was the only person in my entire group of friends that hated it when people would put on Road Apples at parties. But I was deeply rooted in my Metallica and Nirvana ways at the time. I wanted nothing else. But when I opened myself up musically, I found the beauty in what these guys made together. 

they make derivative crap? derivative of what? they write blues rock and later a more alternative sound with an incredible lyricist and poet. 

he's probably one of the few front men of a mainstream rock band that I would consider a "performance artist". he's well aware of the absurdity of his actions on stage. that's why he was the polar opposite in real life. that performance piece I have seen him do. he's playfully mocking the rock star and the fan at the same time. 

you also might want to give Gord's solo work a shot. He's made several solo records, and all of them are very interesting in their own ways. 
    HFD - it took me many years to get there (wow, was I ever harsh above), but I'm thankful that something finally 'clicked' for me. I'm still of the opinion that the Massey Hall show I saw was horrendous and full of cringe-worthy showmanship that wasn't for me, and I still find they have similar vocal characteristics (Stipe and Downie), but I 'got it' by the time I saw them on their last tour.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • benjs said:
    benjs said:
    @benjs

HFD - it took me many years to get there (wow, was I ever harsh above), but I'm thankful that something finally 'clicked' for me. I'm still of the opinion that the Massey Hall show I saw was horrendous and full of cringe-worthy showmanship that wasn't for me, and I still find they have similar vocal characteristics (Stipe and Downie), but I 'got it' by the time I saw them on their last tour.
    Cool. It’s a love affair between a nation and a band which is just so rare.  Very special

changed the name of this thread. I totally understand how unlikely this is, and also how polarizing the Hip can be to some, so please, no need for posts about how they suck or how PJ don't know who the hip is. This is a positive thread about a wish that would probably make a lot of attendees at the show very happy. So, let's do this!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• changed the name of this thread. I totally understand how unlikely this is, and also how polarizing the Hip can be to some, so please, no need for posts about how they suck or how PJ don't know who the hip is. This is a positive thread about a wish that would probably make a lot of attendees at the show very happy. So, let's do this!
    Well said HFD. 
    PJ does many covers and fans aren’t going to like em all. They play 30-40 songs a night. You will live lol

• If they did do this, I'd imagine it would be something more well known to Americans. "Grace, Too" fits the bill quite nicely and I think Pearl Jam could knock "Ahead by a Century" out of the park.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2020
    If they did do this, I'd imagine it would be something more well known to Americans. "Grace, Too" fits the bill quite nicely and I think Pearl Jam could knock "Ahead by a Century" out of the park.
    If they were covering the Hip in Ottawa why would they need the song to be well known to Americans? 
    If they did do this, I'd imagine it would be something more well known to Americans. "Grace, Too" fits the bill quite nicely and I think Pearl Jam could knock "Ahead by a Century" out of the park.
    If they were covering the Hip in Ottawa why would they need the song to be well known to Americans? 
    I would imagine that there's most likely a big group of americans that will be at that show. i agree that they'd most likely pick one of their most popular songs. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 50MC is in all my usernames (50 mission cap). I've been a fan of the Hip and PJ almost equally. Used to travel down to the states where they would play smaller venues. Got to meet Gord. Have a setlist signed by the whole band framed.
    I could see maybe Ed strumming Wheat Kings on his own at the start of the first encore to get a sign a long going. Its just G, C and D...maybe the band comes in at the end. Not sure I could see a full band cover happening...
  • If they did do this, I'd imagine it would be something more well known to Americans. "Grace, Too" fits the bill quite nicely and I think Pearl Jam could knock "Ahead by a Century" out of the park.
    Because Pearl Jam are a bunch of Americans? I guess they could ask a Canadian what to play but my thoughts are they'd go with what they know.
  • Grace too is my vote!  Well for today it is.
    Love to hear it on a tag on Daughter it is.
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
    Because Pearl Jam are a bunch of Americans? I guess they could ask a Canadian what to play but my thoughts are they'd go with what they know.
    I’m thinking they would play what they know or like, what song they relate to, not what “Americans” would know and it’s unlikely they would tailor their setlist for Americans visiting Ottawa.
    How many of the 60,000 at Seattle2 knew “Missing” was a Chris Cornell cover? I’m thinking the number was pretty low.  Point being, to honor CC they could have played any one of a number of well known hits and didn’t. PJ doesn’t roll that way. 

• BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    edited January 2020
    Bit of a different situation as the band was close to Chris Cornell and were likely familiar with most/all of his catalog. I guess we'll see.
    I’m thinking they would play what they know or like, what song they relate to, not what “Americans” would know and it’s unlikely they would tailor their setlist for Americans visiting Ottawa.
    How many of the 60,000 at Seattle2 knew “Missing” was a Chris Cornell cover? I’m thinking the number was pretty low.  Point being, to honor CC they could have played any one of a number of well known hits and didn’t. PJ doesn’t roll that way. 

true enough. but they probably counted on the locals from seattle knowing the poncier tape. but you have a point. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    2 months till the Ottawa show. Would be great if they covered a Hip tune.
  • Spurs14Spurs14 Buffalo Grove, IL Posts: 226
    Huge Hip fan here.  Since the LA ticket situation has been a huge fiasco (see other threads), I request So Hard Done By at LA 1.  Assuming I even get a ticket.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    changed the name of this thread. I totally understand how unlikely this is, and also how polarizing the Hip can be to some, so please, no need for posts about how they suck or how PJ don't know who the hip is. This is a positive thread about a wish that would probably make a lot of attendees at the show very happy. So, let's do this!
    I'll be thrilled if they do it for the Toronto show (my only, lol), but for your sake and others I hope this happens in Ottawa!
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Bump for Gord's birthday today. Would have been 56 years old. Here is one of my favourite songs from these guys. 

https://youtu.be/e8Fi46BFAF0
  • YourLightMadeUsStarsYourLightMadeUsStars NB, Canada Posts: 28
    PJNB said:
    Bump for Gord's birthday today. Would have been 56 years old. Here is one of my favourite songs from these guys. 

https://youtu.be/e8Fi46BFAF0
    Great song. I feel a bit ashamed to be Canadian not knowing that Gord and I share(d) the same birthday  =)   

Been in full blown PJ mode since the tour rumblings but today I will listen to some Hip.  I was lucky enough to see them a few times and even though I'm the "Pearl Jam guy" to those that know me, I have always said the only two bands I've come across that come anywhere close to the live performance you get with PJ are the Hip and Springsteen. 

I 100% support a nod in any way to Gord and the Hip at a Canadian show.