Fender Telecaster: Question for those who have had them.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    i just went and played that jimmy page tele again. it is on sale for $600 off. i almost bought it. then i had a closer look. it isn't the same one I had played before. it had a crack on the pickguard near one of the screws, the headstock had some black stuff on it from the hanger that would not wipe off, and the pickup selector was missing the top hat. i played it and the frets on the 12 fret up were sharp. i was not impressed with quality control so i left it there. the roadworn was $700 less and i liked it better, just didn't like the pickups. the search continues....
    Sorry to hear about the poor Q.C.!  Hope you find a good one.

I'm hoping to get down to Folsom to look and see what they've got down there tomorrow, time permitting.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    good luck brian! hope you were able to get there and check out some teles.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    good luck brian! hope you were able to get there and check out some teles.

Hey, thanks man!

I went to Nicholson's in Folsom and they usually have a good selection of gear but it turns out they had just recently done a trade show and are very low on inventory right now.  Will have to check it out again in a month or so.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I have a question for you more seasoned guitar players.  I hope it keeps thread integrity as it is a Tele related question.  I'm a beginner.  Started playing just over a year ago.  I have a Strat that I love.  I've always been a bit partial to Fender I suppose, which has me eyeing a Tele to add to the collection.  It's between a Tele and LP.  I know this is purely subjective, but in very general terms, do you feel I will get what I need out of a Tele for the type of music I enjoy playing the most (as I continue to learn)?  This would include the likes of PJ, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, AIC, Tom Petty to name a few.  I know there are no canned answers as it relates to this, but will the Tele give me the versatility needed to play some of the crunchier, hard rock, tones that I'll want at times (not always)?  I've played both and can hear the differences in both, of course, but thought I'd run it by you fine folks to get some opinions.  Thanks in advance.
    bbiggs said:
    I have a question for you more seasoned guitar players.  I hope it keeps thread integrity as it is a Tele related question.  I'm a beginner.  Started playing just over a year ago.  I have a Strat that I love.  I've always been a bit partial to Fender I suppose, which has me eyeing a Tele to add to the collection.  It's between a Tele and LP.  I know this is purely subjective, but in very general terms, do you feel I will get what I need out of a Tele for the type of music I enjoy playing the most (as I continue to learn)?  This would include the likes of PJ, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, AIC, Tom Petty to name a few.  I know there are no canned answers as it relates to this, but will the Tele give me the versatility needed to play some of the crunchier, hard rock, tones that I'll want at times (not always)?  I've played both and can hear the differences in both, of course, but thought I'd run it by you fine folks to get some opinions.  Thanks in advance.

I'll be interested to hear what gimmesometruth27  says here.  I think I can guess but I'm not as seasoned in electrics (most of my playing over the years has been acoustic.)

brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:

I'll be interested to hear what gimmesometruth27  says here.  I think I can guess but I'm not as seasoned in electrics (most of my playing over the years has been acoustic.)
    i've always been a les paul guy. but the older i get i am super intrigued by the idea of a tele. it is a simple guitar with single coils and you can play any style of music with it. i used to think they looked funny, but the older i get i think they look timeless.

you can get all of those sounds of all of those bands with a tele. as a rhythm player that just kind of holds it down with the bass i just prefered les pauls. also, because i am a big guy that likes having a big heavy guitar, i liked how the les paul feels more substantial hanging on my shoulder. 

les pauls are a little darker and throaty sounding to me, but a tele can really cut through a mix with the single coils.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:

i've always been a les paul guy. but the older i get i am super intrigued by the idea of a tele. it is a simple guitar with single coils and you can play any style of music with it. i used to think they looked funny, but the older i get i think they look timeless.

you can get all of those sounds of all of those bands with a tele. as a rhythm player that just kind of holds it down with the bass i just prefered les pauls. also, because i am a big guy that likes having a big heavy guitar, i liked how the les paul feels more substantial hanging on my shoulder. 

les pauls are a little darker and throaty sounding to me, but a tele can really cut through a mix with the single coils.
    Good feedback and thanks for the info. Much appreciated. 
  • samosansamosan Posts: 31
    I also have a player telecaster guitar, the same model as already someone mentioned before in this thread, but it is white with maple neck,  I guess it is similar as the one you tried in the 80s. :-)
    Well, my experience with this tele is really good, I have it now for 2 years, it is played very smoothly and I think it sounds great. I think you would have love it

• whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    brianlux said:
    Several years ago I walked into a music store in Petaluma, CA and fell in love. No, not that way- I already had a girl friend- no, I sat day and played a white Fender Telecaster and it was love a first strum of the 6 strings. It was one of those weird times where you bond almost instantly with a guitar. Problem was, even though I'm pretty sure it was an affordable Mexican made model, I was fairly young and broke and no way could afford that guitar.

So now, jump ahead several decades and I had this dream about a white Tele a couple of nights ago. Then today, forgetting I'd had the dream, I wore this white Telecaster pin I've had for years... and now I'm thinking, OK, it's time to find that long desired Tele. High time!

The problem is, there are so darned many of them these days. I really want something fairly classic. But even there, the choices are tough. The American Professional Tele looks great but at over $1500 I'm just not sure my chops are good enough to sink that much money into yet another guitar (I already have 6- 3 acoustic, 3 electric- and I mostly play one or two of them). The lower end Player Telecaster at $675 is much more reasonable for my budget these days but I wonder if I'd be cutting myself short.

So I just thought I'd throw this out and see what kind of feedback some of you players might have that way- what you like, what you don't like, that sort of thing. Thanks a bunch in advance!

just go play as many as you can. I played a mexi tele for years and I still love it. Don’t judge a guitar by its price tag. There are plenty of expensive duds and really killer cheap guitars
    Self-admitted tele nut here - can’t believe I just found this thread. Advice from @opsopcopolis is spot on. There are expensive, American made lemons and budget gems. You should play them all. 

In my opinion, the single-most important feature of a guitar that needs to work for you is the neck. Thickness, shape, frets, material, finish. There is variation in these at different price points. But playing them (and for a while) is the only way to find what you like. Personally, I’m not super fussy, but have played enough to know that I prefer a thicker, curvier fretboard (vintage 7.25” to 9.5” radius, and narrow frets. They can be short, vintage or narrow-tall, anything in between. I don’t like jumbo, even medium jumbo frets, and don’t like flat fretboards. I can play skinny-neck guitars, but it’s just not my preference. 

Next thing the guitar has to do is to make the sound you want it to. As you probably know, you can find Teles with single cool pickups, humbucker a, P-90’s, TV Jones and every other pickup. Pickup heights are adjustable, which makes a huge difference, and if you sour on them, they can be switched out easy enough. On cheaper models, this is reasonable and can be fun. 

Others have recommended the Road Worn - I think this is among the better values out there. Unique neck with vintage radius but taller frets. Nitro finish. Hotter pickups. 

The Classic Lacquer series is also discontinued now, but like the road worn, can be found used for even better value. More true to vintage spec. 

Don't dismiss Squier either. The Classic Vibe range is pretty consistently awesome. Pre-2019 were made in China - better pickups in my opinion, but thinner necks and medium jumbo frets. The current line is made in Indonesia. Vintage tall frets. All have a thick poly finish. 

I think that the American Vintage line, between 2012-2017, represent the very best production-line guitars that Fender has made - possibly ever. Also now discontinued, but can be found used for 12-1300. Again, very vintage spec-wise. There are also Thin Skin versions of that line, special runs through Wildwood in CO and Dave’s one Wisconsin, that are a postmodern take on vintage specs, but are the best instruments I’ve ever played. The American Original line out there now was based on the success of these. If I were in the market, I’d be keeping an eye out for a used one of these...

They are gorgeous, have a neck and specs I like, and the Fender Pure Vintage 64 pickups in then, which I think are as good as you can find (stratty neck pickup). 

The other thing id encourage you (and anyone else still reading this novel) to check out TDPRI.com - there are several lifetimes worth of knowledge there for all guitar enthusiasts, tele or not, from luthiers, techs, amp builders and players of all levels from all over the world. Pretty cool stuff. 

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with (with pictures). 
    brianlux said:
    Several years ago I walked into a music store in Petaluma, CA and fell in love. No, not that way- I already had a girl friend- no, I sat day and played a white Fender Telecaster and it was love a first strum of the 6 strings. It was one of those weird times where you bond almost instantly with a guitar. Problem was, even though I'm pretty sure it was an affordable Mexican made model, I was fairly young and broke and no way could afford that guitar.

So now, jump ahead several decades and I had this dream about a white Tele a couple of nights ago. Then today, forgetting I'd had the dream, I wore this white Telecaster pin I've had for years... and now I'm thinking, OK, it's time to find that long desired Tele. High time!

The problem is, there are so darned many of them these days. I really want something fairly classic. But even there, the choices are tough. The American Professional Tele looks great but at over $1500 I'm just not sure my chops are good enough to sink that much money into yet another guitar (I already have 6- 3 acoustic, 3 electric- and I mostly play one or two of them). The lower end Player Telecaster at $675 is much more reasonable for my budget these days but I wonder if I'd be cutting myself short.

So I just thought I'd throw this out and see what kind of feedback some of you players might have that way- what you like, what you don't like, that sort of thing. Thanks a bunch in advance!

just go play as many as you can. I played a mexi tele for years and I still love it. Don’t judge a guitar by its price tag. There are plenty of expensive duds and really killer cheap guitars
    Self-admitted tele nut here - can’t believe I just found this thread. Advice from @opsopcopolis is spot on. There are expensive, American made lemons and budget gems. You should play them all. 

In my opinion, the single-most important feature of a guitar that needs to work for you is the neck. Thickness, shape, frets, material, finish. There is variation in these at different price points. But playing them (and for a while) is the only way to find what you like. Personally, I’m not super fussy, but have played enough to know that I prefer a thicker, curvier fretboard (vintage 7.25” to 9.5” radius, and narrow frets. They can be short, vintage or narrow-tall, anything in between. I don’t like jumbo, even medium jumbo frets, and don’t like flat fretboards. I can play skinny-neck guitars, but it’s just not my preference. 

Next thing the guitar has to do is to make the sound you want it to. As you probably know, you can find Teles with single cool pickups, humbucker a, P-90’s, TV Jones and every other pickup. Pickup heights are adjustable, which makes a huge difference, and if you sour on them, they can be switched out easy enough. On cheaper models, this is reasonable and can be fun. 

Others have recommended the Road Worn - I think this is among the better values out there. Unique neck with vintage radius but taller frets. Nitro finish. Hotter pickups. 

The Classic Lacquer series is also discontinued now, but like the road worn, can be found used for even better value. More true to vintage spec. 

Don't dismiss Squier either. The Classic Vibe range is pretty consistently awesome. Pre-2019 were made in China - better pickups in my opinion, but thinner necks and medium jumbo frets. The current line is made in Indonesia. Vintage tall frets. All have a thick poly finish. 

I think that the American Vintage line, between 2012-2017, represent the very best production-line guitars that Fender has made - possibly ever. Also now discontinued, but can be found used for 12-1300. Again, very vintage spec-wise. There are also Thin Skin versions of that line, special runs through Wildwood in CO and Dave’s one Wisconsin, that are a postmodern take on vintage specs, but are the best instruments I’ve ever played. The American Original line out there now was based on the success of these. If I were in the market, I’d be keeping an eye out for a used one of these...

They are gorgeous, have a neck and specs I like, and the Fender Pure Vintage 64 pickups in then, which I think are as good as you can find (stratty neck pickup). 

The other thing id encourage you (and anyone else still reading this novel) to check out TDPRI.com - there are several lifetimes worth of knowledge there for all guitar enthusiasts, tele or not, from luthiers, techs, amp builders and players of all levels from all over the world. Pretty cool stuff. 

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with (with pictures). 

Thanks for good tips, whoanelly.  Looks like guitar shopping will be put off for some time now.

Oops, forgot to hit "post comment" yesterday but it was saved.

• marjenmarjen CT Posts: 792
    Thoughts on squire affinity series tele vs the fender player series? I have an epiphanies les Paul that i have had for like 25 year but looking to get s tele. I dont play a ton but have started to pick it up more lately. Not sure its worth it to jump to the player series for just messing around. But I am lefty and only squire is a color i dont like where as i love the white lefty player series. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited April 2020
    Go to as many used guitar shops as you can find and hit up Craigslist.  There are some great teles out there.  I have had some high end fender custom shop stuff and a small builder model.  I now only have a Frankenstein tele with a warmoth body and a usacg neck that was put together by my friend that was a tech for spoon. The guitar is amazing.  But really all teles are. Also if you are on a budget check out some of the bolt on neck models from Reverend guitars, t he t have some that are definitely teleesque and some wild departures with various different pickup configs. If you have to have a fender and are on a budget the road worn series and a trip to a tech to set up the guitar really can’t be beat.
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    marjen said:
    Thoughts on squire affinity series tele vs the fender player series? I have an epiphanies les Paul that i have had for like 25 year but looking to get s tele. I dont play a ton but have started to pick it up more lately. Not sure its worth it to jump to the player series for just messing around. But I am lefty and only squire is a color i dont like where as i love the white lefty player series. 
    One of the best teles I have ever played is my buddy’s squier series tele.  He had it set up by a good tech and swapped to higher end pickups and it plays and sounds great, especially when he plays it, although he makes a living off being a pro musician so that could be one of the reasons.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    I ended up getting a tele in early Feb. and I absolutely love playing it.  I’m not a good player, but the thing is an absolute joy to play for what I’m able to get out of it. This puppy will stay with me for a very long time. 
    bbiggs said:
    I ended up getting a tele in early Feb. and I absolutely love playing it.  I’m not a good player, but the thing is an absolute joy to play for what I’m able to get out of it. This puppy will stay with me for a very long time. 

Nice!  What model did you get?

I still hope to have a Tele some day but with stores closed and me not wanting to be out there, it wil probably have to wait until next year some time.

brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:

I still hope to have a Tele some day but with stores closed and me not wanting to be out there, it wil probably have to wait until next year some time.
    I got a real good deal on a used American Professional through a private sale.  Very clean, well taken care of and upgraded noiseless pickups, which sound really good.  It's probably more guitar than I need as someone newer to the instrument, but I knew that if it wasn't right for me I could easily recoup my investment, so it was a safe purchase.  As it turns out, I fell in love with it immediately and have every intention of owning it forever!  I hope you're able to get one when the time is right.  I was lucky to get mine before the Covid-19 mess, as now I have more time than ever to play it and improve, being that we're home all the time.

bbiggs said:
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:

I got a real good deal on a used American Professional through a private sale.  Very clean, well taken care of and upgraded noiseless pickups, which sound really good.  It's probably more guitar than I need as someone newer to the instrument, but I knew that if it wasn't right for me I could easily recoup my investment, so it was a safe purchase.  As it turns out, I fell in love with it immediately and have every intention of owning it forever!  I hope you're able to get one when the time is right.  I was lucky to get mine before the Covid-19 mess, as now I have more time than ever to play it and improve, being that we're home all the time.

Nice!  I've read good things about the American Professional.  I'll look forward to checking them out when able to do so!

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    @brianlux
    https://www.samash.com/fender-telecasters/fender-60s-telecaster-electric-guitar-f60telexxx
    I have this exact guitar only in black.  I absolutely love it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Nice- a classic look! 

A a picnic in the bag as well!  :smile:

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I like Tele's a lot. I have a Strat & a Gretsch Electromatic, but I've been thinking of buying one of those DIY tele kits. I want a 3rd guitar that I would primarily use for funky tunings and that I can beat up a little bit without breaking the bank. Have y'all ever used one of these kits?

I just thought it would be a fun project while stuck at home. Here's an example:
    https://reverb.com/item/2610850-byoguitar-telecaster-electric-guitar-kit-unfinished?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0ML3sdSL6QIVyrzACh1DUwf1EAYYCCABEgJJO_D_BwE&merchant_id=102053354&pla=1&utm_campaign=2068628530&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    I like Tele's a lot. I have a Strat & a Gretsch Electromatic, but I've been thinking of buying one of those DIY tele kits. I want a 3rd guitar that I would primarily use for funky tunings and that I can beat up a little bit without breaking the bank. Have y'all ever used one of these kits?

I just thought it would be a fun project while stuck at home. Here's an example:
    https://reverb.com/item/2610850-byoguitar-telecaster-electric-guitar-kit-unfinished?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0ML3sdSL6QIVyrzACh1DUwf1EAYYCCABEgJJO_D_BwE&merchant_id=102053354&pla=1&utm_campaign=2068628530&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

That looks like fun!  Very tempting.  Would love to hear your thoughts on this product if you go for it, thanks!

After doing some research, I settled on this one. Should be a fun project & it'll arrive by Friday so I can build it over the weekend!

https://thefretwire.com/collections/solid-body-guitar-kits/products/diy-electric-guitar-kit-tele-deluxe-style-build-your-own-guitar
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    After doing some research, I settled on this one. Should be a fun project & it'll arrive by Friday so I can build it over the weekend!

https://thefretwire.com/collections/solid-body-guitar-kits/products/diy-electric-guitar-kit-tele-deluxe-style-build-your-own-guitar

Cool!  Have fun putting it together!

mfc2006 said:

oh man i LOVE those old tele deluxes with the big headstocks and humbuckers. i almost bought a 1973 a few years ago, but a guy in my band was like "if you want to buy a vintage tele, buy a tele with single coil and no binding. those humbucker teles aren't teles." i regret listening to him.

i always wanted to do one of these kits, but i am shit at soldering and even more shit at lacquering.

definitely let us know how it turns out. can you maybe provide step by step updates so we know if you encountered any challanges/issues and what your thoughts on the build are?

edited April 2020
    mfc2006 said:

oh man i LOVE those old tele deluxes with the big headstocks and humbuckers. i almost bought a 1973 a few years ago, but a guy in my band was like "if you want to buy a vintage tele, buy a tele with single coil and no binding. those humbucker teles aren't teles." i regret listening to him.

i always wanted to do one of these kits, but i am shit at soldering and even more shit at lacquering.

definitely let us know how it turns out. can you maybe provide step by step updates so we know if you encountered any challanges/issues and what your thoughts on the build are?
    Will do! I am also shit at soldering, which is why my sister will be helping me with that part....even though she doesn't know it yet. Ha!

Not sure if I'll lacquer it or not; I kind of like the original wood look. We'll see what I think when it arrives.

Looking forward to this little project!

EDIT: It has already shipped! I ordered it yesterday. Awesome!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    It looks like the kit is set to arrive tomorrow. I'll post a picture of it here when it does. I'll probably start working on it this weekend!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    It looks like the kit is set to arrive tomorrow. I'll post a picture of it here when it does. I'll probably start working on it this weekend!
    Good luck!
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Good luck!
    Thanks! I'll need it! Haha

I think I'm a pretty handy guy, but I've never done anything like this. I'm sure I'll feel better about it once it arrives.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Good luck!
    Thanks! I'll need it! Haha

I think I'm a pretty handy guy, but I've never done anything like this. I'm sure I'll feel better about it once it arrives.

That's an awesome project to take on.  Look forward to hearing about it.  Once complete, you'll appreciate that guitar like none other!