Options

The LOVE Of The Band RUSH

Comments

• Options
    The introduction speech to Rush's induction to the RnR HoF is still one of the greatest ever.
    I still vividly remember, to this day, the first time I heard Farewell To Kings on vinyl. It had that much of an effect on me. It was 1977.
    I'm losing my heroes at an alarming rate these days...and coming to terms with not ever seeing Rush play live again is hurting me now.
    It was a great ride for them and I remain feeling super blessed to have been with them on that ride. RIP Neil.

rock and roll hall of fame 2013 Rush´s induction

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    are you kidding me? he had the same brain cancer type as Gord Downie? WTF?
    That’s crazy. Fuck Cancer 

Fuck it indeed.

Been thinking since I heard about Neil how he handled this and how it reflected him vs Girds ordeal. A very private man thrust into a public life handled terminal illness with privacy.

And Gord decided to share publicly and somehow give us 15 glorious goodbye shows.

Inevitably both methods suck. Cancer sucks.
    i still don't know how gord did that. he was an intensely private person. even the canadian media didn't know he was divorced until someone noticed his house went up for sale. i can't imagine the humility of dealing with that, the possibility of being on stage in front of 20,000 people and forgetting not only the lyrics but what you are doing there. he gave his all for his band mates and his fans. just incredible. 

that being said, i don't fault neil at all for retiring. that's probably what most of us would have done, especially after doing it for 40 years. 

I understood Neil wanted to retire. He earned it. Felt a little abrupt at the time as we always got at least 2 decent legs to each tour and R40 was only one. And it was the first one in decades that they dusted off many older songs. The R40 email came out in winter 2015 and 7 quick months later Rush was done.

I also don’t know how Gord did that tour. Watching the behind the scenes struggles on Long Time Running was eye opening.

Living in metro NY I was always lucky enough to see The Hip in smaller venues, but I always wanted to catch them in a large Canadian NHL arena. Caught the last such show in Ottawa 2 days before their last Kingston show. Great city. Always I’ll be grateful for Gord’s courage doing that tour.
  • Options

Fuck it indeed.

Been thinking since I heard about Neil how he handled this and how it reflected him vs Girds ordeal. A very private man thrust into a public life handled terminal illness with privacy.

And Gord decided to share publicly and somehow give us 15 glorious goodbye shows.

i still don't know how gord did that. he was an intensely private person. even the canadian media didn't know he was divorced until someone noticed his house went up for sale. i can't imagine the humility of dealing with that, the possibility of being on stage in front of 20,000 people and forgetting not only the lyrics but what you are doing there. he gave his all for his band mates and his fans. just incredible. 

that being said, i don't fault neil at all for retiring. that's probably what most of us would have done, especially after doing it for 40 years. 

I understood Neil wanted to retire. He earned it. Felt a little abrupt at the time as we always got at least 2 decent legs to each tour and R40 was only one. And it was the first one in decades that they dusted off many older songs. The R40 email came out in winter 2015 and 7 quick months later Rush was done.

I also don’t know how Gord did that tour. Watching the behind the scenes struggles on Long Time Running was eye opening.

Living in metro NY I was always lucky enough to see The Hip in smaller venues, but I always wanted to catch them in a large Canadian NHL arena. Caught the last such show in Ottawa 2 days before their last Kingston show. Great city. Always I’ll be grateful for Gord’s courage doing that tour.
    This is the best thing I read all day.  
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    The introduction speech to Rush's induction to the RnR HoF is still one of the greatest ever.
    I still vividly remember, to this day, the first time I heard Farewell To Kings on vinyl. It had that much of an effect on me. It was 1977.
    I'm losing my heroes at an alarming rate these days...and coming to terms with not ever seeing Rush play live again is hurting me now.
    It was a great ride for them and I remain feeling super blessed to have been with them on that ride. RIP Neil.

rock and roll hall of fame 2013 Rush´s induction

I was just watching this yesterday. Best induction ever.
    I've probably watched the documentary Beyond a Lighted Stage at least 10 times and it'll be on again tomorrow. Rush were my first favourite band and never dropped out of my top 5. Neil was my hero and the reason I started drumming (badly) in elementary school. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    I don't understand the thread title but I like a lot of Rush's work.

Also, unless someone is tied to a chair and made to listen to something they don't like while being waterboarded, I absolutely give so bearance to the notion of despising any music.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    brianlux said:

Also, unless someone is tied to a chair and made to listen to something they don't like while being waterboarded, I absolutely give so bearance to the notion of despising any music.
    BRIAN, you are absolutely right in that title that I started should be no more. I will change it soon as of the moment I'm on my phone.

I started the thread with that title due to many of my friends can't stand the band especially Geddy's voice. I was hoping those who cant stand would come on and post why they've a displeasure with the band RUSH.

At the time I started the thread, we had several hardcore fans me included. I knew we would post our love of the band but really wanted to hear from those who who did not. 

At the moment I'm in complete shock.

Peace, rest in it always PROFESSOR!

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    edited January 2020
    So this was my sequence of events in hearing of Neil's death.

Friday night I'm driving to work and I decided to give my daughter a hands free call. Interupting my listening of the new release of RUSH '84 Live. I tell her all about getting in shape as she is doing the same. I rambling on, she's mentions someone died, but I continue rambling on till she stops me and says, Daaaaad, did you hear who I said died? I answer, some guy died so. She says, I said Neil Peart died (so proud of her she said the proper pronunciation of his name) and I answer, Neil Peart of Toronto, the Professor from our band RUSH......YES.

I literally drove off the road. At that moment ALL sorts of thoughts went through my head. What the hell happened, my thoughts it had to be a plane crash, he better not had been on that downed Ukranian plane. Then she tells me it was brain cancer, I was like what...I haven't heard a thing anywhere not even Fox News nothing. 

So once I got to work last night I immediately went to The Rush Forum. There they already had up a whole thread section dedicated to him with 9 threads on him already. I was confused how could they have all this up already and he just died today? Then i read on and I was like you mean to tell that he's been gone since Tuesday and I'm just hearing about it. Well there should be said for political distractions, they seem to work.

That is how I heard about Neil's passing from my daughter. I'm so glad I took her to the Vapor Trails at 6 and then the Snakes & Arrows Tour in '09 she's become a RUSHNUT as well.

Peace

PS.....TRF now has up to 16 threads on Neil
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    g under p said:
    brianlux said:nu

BRIAN, you are absolutely right in that title that I started should be no more. I will change it soon as of the moment I'm on my phone.

I started the thread with that title due to many of my friends can't stand the band especially Geddy's voice. I was hoping those who cant stand would come on and post why they've a displeasure with the band RUSH.

At the time I started the thread, we had several hardcore fans me included. I knew we would post our love of the band but really wanted to hear from those who who did not. 

go back and edit...  
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    O Baterista 2002 Vapor Trails Tour.
    just a phenominal set. saw them Aug 8 at Polaris Amphitheater(long since closed) recall it was a nicenight. dry, not hot.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    g under p said:

go back and edit...  
    I just realized I could make the change on my phone.

I just have one question, did anyone out there knew Neil was sick and battling cancer?. I had absolutely no clue.

Just his week I had two RUSH moments. I'll share them another time.

Peace

• Options
    g under p said:
    mickeyrat said:
    g under p said:

go back and edit...  

I just have one question, did anyone out there knew Neil was sick and battling cancer?. I had absolutely no clue.

Peace

As is true to Neil, he kept his battle private.

I turn my face to the sun
    Close my eyes,
    Let my defenses down
    All those wounds
    That I can't get unwound

I let my past go too fast
    No time to pause
    If I could slow it all down
    Like some captain,
    Whose ship runs aground
    I can wait until the tide comes around

• Options
    g under p said:
    mickeyrat said:
    g under p said:

go back and edit...  

Peace
    nope. totally Neil to have kept this private.

and either didnt tell the boys or geddy is a good liar cuz I swear he's been asked how Neil was doing in retirement.....

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

Fuck it indeed.

i will always regret not going to see the hip at a small minneapolis club of 700 when they were on the fully completely anniversary tour. my buddy didn't want to go. "next time" he said. there was no next time. never saw the hip in a small venue. always wanted to. 

same thing happened to me with soundgarden. 

GO SEE THE SHOWS YOU WANT TO SEE. DON'T WAIT. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    g under p said:
    brianlux said:

Nice change there, g! 

I know you have much love for the band Rush.  Losing Mr. Peart so unexpectedly is a shock for all, so for a #1 fan like yourself, no doubt that much more so.  So good thoughts going out to you.  Thankfully, we still have the music to go to in order to remember why we love what we do so much.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Fuck it indeed.

i will always regret not going to see the hip at a small minneapolis club of 700 when they were on the fully completely anniversary tour. my buddy didn't want to go. "next time" he said. there was no next time. never saw the hip in a small venue. always wanted to. 

same thing happened to me with soundgarden. 

GO SEE THE SHOWS YOU WANT TO SEE. DON'T WAIT. 

That’s rough. Like Brian said above, we still have the music.

One time I saw Soundgarden was the same day as the Rangers Stanley Cup parade (I’m an Islanders fan and required to hate the Rangers).  The Knicks were playing in the Finals that night and..... this crazy ex football player was driving around his white bronco that night with the media and police following. And the Railroad was on strike! What a freaking night.

Smallish venue, NYS Armory, a place that I never heard of any other concert ever being there. Good thing as it was like 150 degrees inside.

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    PLAY ALL OF YOUR RUSH ALBUMS TODAY........................LOUD! For the Professor!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Love rush... Heard the news yesterday and couldn't believe it. We listened to Rush last night and had a few drinks. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mickeyrat said:

i'm shocked rush didn't already have their own sirius station. i figured they had a big enough following for that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    I was in a drum line in high school (1984-1986) and we used to geek out over Peart. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

i'm shocked rush didn't already have their own sirius station. i figured they had a big enough following for that. 
    whats cool about these tribute channels is they'll have guest dj's, call in's with fans sharing memories, other artists calling in sharing stories.

they are usually a week long or so.

• Options
    Well I already play ALL THEIR ALBUMS LOUD while at work, play, car and at home. 

At the driving range today I was listening to Grace Under Pressure. It was the best I've hit balls since I restarted playing golf last month.

I changed my avatar on my Texas Hold em poker online to Neil playing the S&A kit. However, I haven't been winning as much since I made the change, still stuck just under 200 mil.

Peace

• Options
    who here is familiar with Geddys solo album from 2000? rereleased not long ago. I foundthe personnel on it interesting....

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Counterparts and Roll the Bones were on rotation on my CD player in the mid 90s just as much as anything grunge.  I still blast those songs
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    who here is familiar with Geddys solo album from 2000? rereleased not long ago. I foundthe personnel on it interesting....

I had it back in the day and added Geddy to my Pandora back then. Always enjoyed Home on the Strange

and Rush’s one direct link to Pearl Jam...

Matt Fucking Cameron on Drums, as you hinted. And former drummer Jeremy Taggart of OLP fame got a song.

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    I think I've recovered, now that I've gone through just about everything they've recorded. Just this I was only listening Neil's  drum fills, its amazing what he was able to play. It sure feels like I've lost my favorite  uncle.

Anyway, here's The Spirit Of Radio live with Neil's drums isolated......

https://youtu.be/Q0SV682Ez2c

Peace

• Options
    g under p said:
    I think I've recovered, now that I've gone through just about everything they've recorded. Just this I was only listening Neil's  drum fills, its amazing what he was able to play. It sure feels like I've lost my favorite  uncle.

Anyway, here's The Spirit Of Radio live with Neil's drums isolated......

https://youtu.be/Q0SV682Ez2c

Peace
    amazing of course. one thing that strikes me about this, how fat geddys basslines are. it covered some of the subtleties from neils drimming

• Options
     Dig this shit......