Options

LA Roll Call 2020

I couldn't find any roll call started yet for LA, so I'm starting one.  I'm going to San Diego, LA and Oakland shows, and I know SD and Oakland well, but don't know LA well.  What are the best places/best areas to stay in LA?  What's the best way to get to the Forum?  Any good options besides driving?  Any info would be very helpful.  
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    If you're only going to be in town for the shows, I'd probably recommend staying somewhere on the west side. You have the beach cities from Redondo up to Santa Monica. Around the airport or in El Segundo are other possibilities. Downtown and Hollywood are other options but a little further from the venue. Really no convenient way besides driving or Uber/Lyft to get to the Forum. 
  • Options
    I'll be there for both. Stayed near LAX last time I saw a show at the forum.  Easy drive from there.    
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
  • Options
    I'll be attending the April 16th show. Didn't want to attend both because I'll be attending Coachella the prior weekend (Rage Against the Machine), and I'll be traveling to London to see Pearl Jam at Hyde Park. All is well. 
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    Going to both nights in LA!

• Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 900
    Going to both nights in LA!

me too!
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    Both nights!!! as well as SD
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,108
    in For Both LA's and SD

Flying from NY on Friday the 10th...Been to all the SOCAL shows since 2009 ( Gibson was awesome, wtf) usually do Oakland Shows too.....gonna hit up some Europe dates instead this year

California shows are my favorite 
  • Options
    I just hope the person who summoned "Angry Eddie" during LA1 in 2013 didn't decide to go this time around  =)
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    I just hope the person who summoned "Angry Eddie" during LA1 in 2013 didn't decide to go this time around  =)

Me too that really sucked! I was in GA a few peeps back when that happened. PJ didn't come back to LA for years!

• Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 749
    I'll be there for both. Stayed near LAX last time I saw a show at the forum.  Easy drive from there.    
    The hotels around LAX are cheap on points or $$ and a $15 Uber ride from the Forum. I always do that and figure things out from there. Also easy to grab a flight out after the show the next morning. I think I have the Hyatt Regency this time.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,420
    Staying around the airport is the best option if you want to be relatively close to the venue.  However, in terms of knocking about during the day, there isn't really much to do near the airport.  Renting a car is an option, as if Uber/Lyft, if you want to see other parts of the city.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Got reserved tix for both LA nights, will be using one only.

Many places to stay around here can be on the pricey side.  Good luck to all searching for decent hotels!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,420
    Here is a boutique hotel in the $200 range.....close to many places, and about a 35 minute drive to the venue (depending on the time of day).

https://farmersdaughterhotel.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3fierO2a5wIVFL3sCh2chwthEAAYASAAEgIDkPD_BwE

• Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 749
    I long ago stopped renting cars in LA and just go with Uber. Parking is $20 everywhere you go and I enjoy the occasional alcoholic beverage during the shows.
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,910
    I'm going to LA2 on Apr 16.  Stay anywhere on the west side e.g., from Redondo Beach on the South to Brentwood on the north.  If you're just flying in and out, stay at any of the airport hotels.  As for things to do, if you're staying a few days?  I always like going to Catalina Island or Newport Beach.  Both are treks.  I like Point Dume state beach (Pacific Coast Highway near Kanan road, go to the end of Westward road).  That's the beach with the squared off cliff with big rocks going out to the sea that you've seen in a billion movies, shows and ads.  They cleared off the statue of liberty's head (Spaceballs) so there is a place to sit on the beach.  
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 974
    Going to both L.A. shows. My buddy lives out there, so free lodging. 
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20
  • Options
    It was recommended for visitors by some fine folks here that the best (and safest) options for hotels are along Century Blvd. We booked a room just east of the 405. Looks like a quick 10 minute Uber/Lyft from there to the Forum.  There looks to be a special section in the Forum parking lot for Ride Sharing/Taxis. Section H.
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • Options
    Original_ShiftyOriginal_Shifty Posts: 182
    edited January 2020
    delete
    Post edited by Original_Shifty on
  • Options
    Here's the Ride Sharing / Taxi pickup area.
  • Options
    korn-1korn-1 Los Angeles, transplanted from Chicago Posts: 922
    In for SD and both LA shows. I live in Hollywood and my brother is flying in from Colorado. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    kerbjackkerbjack kamloops bc Posts: 218
    Both nights for LA and SD...gonna try to fit in a Dodgers and Padres game while I'm down. Gonna be a facking great week!
    'Have you seen the way that tree bends?'
  • Options
    SM187650SM187650 Canada Posts: 696
    In for both LA shows. Flying down from Calgary. Can’t wait!! 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Here's the Ride Sharing / Taxi pickup area.
    Thank you for this!  Though I live in LA, I'll be Ubering there and home.
  • Options
    Going to both LA shows.  Can't wait!
    11.11.93 (Denton) | 9.16.95 (Austin) | 7.5.98 (Dallas) | 10.31.00 (Mountain View) | 10.6.09 (LA) | 11.23.13 (LA) | 11.24.13 (LA) | 9.26.21 (Ohana) | 10.2.21 (Ohana Encore) | 5.6.22 (LA) | 5.7.22 (LA)
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,910
    One thing I want to mention to those of you flying in to LA International(LAX), if you plan to take an Uber/Lyft/Taxi upon flight arrival to LAX to a hotel or elsewhere, LAX has a cockamamie setup that you need to be aware of.  No curbside Uber/Lyft/Taxi when you get out of the baggage area.  You need to take a specific green bus that will take you to a special area(lot) which is a staging area for Uber/Lyft/Taxi.  Once you get to that lot, then you line up.  This scheme is called LAX-IT.  Research this in advance so you know what to expect.  It was 1st implemented last October.  Didn't go well, they made adjustments and I'm not sure if it is better or not.  There isn't a lot of signage and when I arrive home into LAX, I see tons of confused people who don't know what the hell to do.  So they ask parking shuttle drivers, etc., and slows them down.  Trust me, do your research before you arrive.  When you leave LA, Uber/Lyft/Taxi can drop you off at the terminals like at normal airports.  Black cars (limos) exempt from the LAX-IT lot/rules.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    One thing I want to mention to those of you flying in to LA International(LAX), if you plan to take an Uber/Lyft/Taxi upon flight arrival to LAX to a hotel or elsewhere, LAX has a cockamamie setup that you need to be aware of.  No curbside Uber/Lyft/Taxi when you get out of the baggage area.  You need to take a specific green bus that will take you to a special area(lot) which is a staging area for Uber/Lyft/Taxi.  Once you get to that lot, then you line up.  This scheme is called LAX-IT.  Research this in advance so you know what to expect.  It was 1st implemented last October.  Didn't go well, they made adjustments and I'm not sure if it is better or not.  There isn't a lot of signage and when I arrive home into LAX, I see tons of confused people who don't know what the hell to do.  So they ask parking shuttle drivers, etc., and slows them down.  Trust me, do your research before you arrive.  When you leave LA, Uber/Lyft/Taxi can drop you off at the terminals like at normal airports.  Black cars (limos) exempt from the LAX-IT lot/rules.
    Wow, that sounds really ugly. Makes me glad I got a hotel with it's own airport shuttle. 
  • Options
    Wow, that sounds really ugly. Makes me glad I got a hotel with it's own airport shuttle. 
    Which I've just learned, hotel shuttles are only available on the Departures level, so when arriving in LA, you need to go up to the Departures level to catch your hotel shuttle.
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 543
    Dang. I didn't get a hotel with a shuttle.  Going to try and book another. 
    Thanks for the talking Heads up.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    🖐🏼in for both. 
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    I'm in for both LA shows too, still looking at travel options.  Staying in Corona with friends, so not close to Forum.  We still need to figure out transportation options. Thanks for the info on the Uber arena areas.