LA Roll Call 2020

124»

Comments

  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NYPosts: 401
    I am headed to LA for our first visit.  It sounds like the hotels near LAX are a good value and convenient for travel to the show and airport.  Do any locals suggest staying downtown or in a more touristy area?  We land mid day Wednesday and depart Friday morning so we don't have a ton of time in LA.  Travelling from Upstate NY so this may be our only trip to LA, I am not planning on renting a car either.  Any suggestions on where to stay and what to do?  
  • Looking for one L.A. ticket
    let me know if anyone has an extra!
  • BB162610 said:
    I am headed to LA for our first visit.  It sounds like the hotels near LAX are a good value and convenient for travel to the show and airport.  Do any locals suggest staying downtown or in a more touristy area?  We land mid day Wednesday and depart Friday morning so we don't have a ton of time in LA.  Travelling from Upstate NY so this may be our only trip to LA, I am not planning on renting a car either.  Any suggestions on where to stay and what to do?  
    Yes, the hotels at LAX will be the most convenient to the venue, but it isn't a particularly interesting/fun neighborhood for your downtime.  If you are willing to deal with a little driving/Ubering, I think downtown would be a great choice.  Downtown LA has changed a lot in the last 15 years since I started working there.  There are tons of great food choices, great bars, fabulous hotels.  There is a decent chance you will have pool weather that time of year, and there are several hotels downtown with good pools/pool scenes.  One newer hotel that is fabulous is the NoMad.  Even if you don't stay there, it's worth checking out for a cocktail.  Clifton's Cafeteria is also taking a peak inside for a drink.  Ace Hotel is newish and skews to a younger crowd.  There are lots of chain hotels if you are beholden to a brand, Marriott, Intercontinental, Westin, Hilton, Sheraton, as well as smaller budget boutique hotels like O Hotel.  There are Bird/Lime/Lyft scooters everywhere, but downtown is also very walkable and mostly flat except for Bunker Hill.  For things to do, The Broad is a newish contemporary art museum that is worth a visit even if you think you are not an art lover.  Tickets are free, and you can make reservations in advance.   
  • smaksmak Posts: 187
    smak said:
    kaw753 said: hi
    Any idea if there is a curfew at the Forum and/or what time the show is likely going to end? Contemplating taking a late night flight out after the show.
    Forum is indoors.  No curfews that I'm aware of.  Shows in the past have ended around 11:45PM.  While the Forum is very close to LAX, you'll find the traffic leaving the Forum to be bad.  You'll find the traffic at LAX to be shocking.  Even at late hours.  There are a bunch of red-eye flights and traffic can be at a stand-still.  I'm not sure what flights are after 1am.  I'd recommend staying at a LAX hotel and taking a very early morning flight.
    +1
    Getting out of the parking lot is a mess. Unless you are local, too many things can go wrong navigating to make a close call flight out.
    I've got a 1:15am flight.  If it means I leave before the 2nd encore and take an uber instead of my friend driving me, that's what I'm going to have to do.

    But I would like to see if we can park somewhere we can get out quickly. 

    Anybody know how it is with the SoFi in it's current state?  Or it's state in 10 weeks?

    I'm sure I'll drive down there a few weeks before to look.

    Maybe I can run down to Hollywood Park and Uber from there.  
    SoFi reportedly opens July 25
    I was thinking parking would be open there, but maybe not.  Where do 20,000 people park for a show, without the Hollywood Park parking before SoFi started being built?  I haven't been to a show there since.
  • smaksmak Posts: 187
    smak said:
    kaw753 said: hi
    Any idea if there is a curfew at the Forum and/or what time the show is likely going to end? Contemplating taking a late night flight out after the show.
    Forum is indoors.  No curfews that I'm aware of.  Shows in the past have ended around 11:45PM.  While the Forum is very close to LAX, you'll find the traffic leaving the Forum to be bad.  You'll find the traffic at LAX to be shocking.  Even at late hours.  There are a bunch of red-eye flights and traffic can be at a stand-still.  I'm not sure what flights are after 1am.  I'd recommend staying at a LAX hotel and taking a very early morning flight.
    +1
    Getting out of the parking lot is a mess. Unless you are local, too many things can go wrong navigating to make a close call flight out.
    I've got a 1:15am flight.  If it means I leave before the 2nd encore and take an uber instead of my friend driving me, that's what I'm going to have to do.

    But I would like to see if we can park somewhere we can get out quickly. 

    Anybody know how it is with the SoFi in it's current state?  Or it's state in 10 weeks?

    I'm sure I'll drive down there a few weeks before to look.

    Maybe I can run down to Hollywood Park and Uber from there.  
    Parking at the closest spot to exit from Hollywood Park is a good strategy. I did this, and left 2 songs early at the end of Temple of the Dog and saved an hour for sure. You need a good 10-15 minute head start at the end and traffic to LAX is your next obstacle. If your friend can drop you at departures and you rush in...
    I know the forum has VIP parking, but I don't know where it is, and what advantages there are.
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,454
    I'll be there. Somehow scored GA Floor both nights. Thanks 10 Club! 
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

    “The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden StatePosts: 2,695
    smak said:
    smak said:
    kaw753 said: hi
    Any idea if there is a curfew at the Forum and/or what time the show is likely going to end? Contemplating taking a late night flight out after the show.
    Forum is indoors.  No curfews that I'm aware of.  Shows in the past have ended around 11:45PM.  While the Forum is very close to LAX, you'll find the traffic leaving the Forum to be bad.  You'll find the traffic at LAX to be shocking.  Even at late hours.  There are a bunch of red-eye flights and traffic can be at a stand-still.  I'm not sure what flights are after 1am.  I'd recommend staying at a LAX hotel and taking a very early morning flight.
    +1
    Getting out of the parking lot is a mess. Unless you are local, too many things can go wrong navigating to make a close call flight out.
    I've got a 1:15am flight.  If it means I leave before the 2nd encore and take an uber instead of my friend driving me, that's what I'm going to have to do.

    But I would like to see if we can park somewhere we can get out quickly. 

    Anybody know how it is with the SoFi in it's current state?  Or it's state in 10 weeks?

    I'm sure I'll drive down there a few weeks before to look.

    Maybe I can run down to Hollywood Park and Uber from there.  
    SoFi reportedly opens July 25
    I was thinking parking would be open there, but maybe not.  Where do 20,000 people park for a show, without the Hollywood Park parking before SoFi started being built?  I haven't been to a show there since.
    They jam them in that lot. I think there’s been certain shows where they’ve had to turn people away because the lot is full but that's usually latecomers. There are some surrounding businesses that offer parking in their lots. I miss that Hollywood Park lot across the street. Was so much quicker to get out there.
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,454
    kasedoug said:
    smak said:
    smak said:
    kaw753 said: hi
    Any idea if there is a curfew at the Forum and/or what time the show is likely going to end? Contemplating taking a late night flight out after the show.
    Forum is indoors.  No curfews that I'm aware of.  Shows in the past have ended around 11:45PM.  While the Forum is very close to LAX, you'll find the traffic leaving the Forum to be bad.  You'll find the traffic at LAX to be shocking.  Even at late hours.  There are a bunch of red-eye flights and traffic can be at a stand-still.  I'm not sure what flights are after 1am.  I'd recommend staying at a LAX hotel and taking a very early morning flight.
    +1
    Getting out of the parking lot is a mess. Unless you are local, too many things can go wrong navigating to make a close call flight out.
    I've got a 1:15am flight.  If it means I leave before the 2nd encore and take an uber instead of my friend driving me, that's what I'm going to have to do.

    But I would like to see if we can park somewhere we can get out quickly. 

    Anybody know how it is with the SoFi in it's current state?  Or it's state in 10 weeks?

    I'm sure I'll drive down there a few weeks before to look.

    Maybe I can run down to Hollywood Park and Uber from there.  
    SoFi reportedly opens July 25
    I was thinking parking would be open there, but maybe not.  Where do 20,000 people park for a show, without the Hollywood Park parking before SoFi started being built?  I haven't been to a show there since.
    They jam them in that lot. I think there’s been certain shows where they’ve had to turn people away because the lot is full but that's usually latecomers. There are some surrounding businesses that offer parking in their lots. I miss that Hollywood Park lot across the street. Was so much quicker to get out there.
    I was turned away from the Forum lot for the TOTD show and they ended up re-directing me to a side area that they cleared out/closed off for the event. Best Forum parking ever. Didn't have to wait forever to get out of the lot after the show (I've been stuck in there for an hour-plus for other shows I've attended at the Forum). Of course, traffic getting out of the general area was still a huge pain, and I generally expect the whole process to take at least 90 minutes any time I park in the Forum lot. Anything less is a blessing.

    If you don't mind a little walk, there are other lots around the Forum that open up for events. You'll still be stuck in area traffic getting to the freeway, but at least you won't be battling just to get out of the lot itself. Just be wary -- some of the other "lots" are very sketchy. When I went to the Forum for Bon Iver a few months ago, I parked in a "lot" set up next to an apartment complex. I knew something was wrong when I handed the "attendant" my money as he sipped on a bottle of whiskey. Returned there after the show was over and all parking signs, along with the attendant, were nowhere to be seen. Pretty sure I got scammed. Thankfully my car was still there.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

    “The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,248
    @walkunafraid congrats! I'll be your +1 lol
  • smaksmak Posts: 187
    kasedoug said:
    smak said:
    smak said:
    kaw753 said: hi
    Any idea if there is a curfew at the Forum and/or what time the show is likely going to end? Contemplating taking a late night flight out after the show.
    Forum is indoors.  No curfews that I'm aware of.  Shows in the past have ended around 11:45PM.  While the Forum is very close to LAX, you'll find the traffic leaving the Forum to be bad.  You'll find the traffic at LAX to be shocking.  Even at late hours.  There are a bunch of red-eye flights and traffic can be at a stand-still.  I'm not sure what flights are after 1am.  I'd recommend staying at a LAX hotel and taking a very early morning flight.
    +1
    Getting out of the parking lot is a mess. Unless you are local, too many things can go wrong navigating to make a close call flight out.
    I've got a 1:15am flight.  If it means I leave before the 2nd encore and take an uber instead of my friend driving me, that's what I'm going to have to do.

    But I would like to see if we can park somewhere we can get out quickly. 

    Anybody know how it is with the SoFi in it's current state?  Or it's state in 10 weeks?

    I'm sure I'll drive down there a few weeks before to look.

    Maybe I can run down to Hollywood Park and Uber from there.  
    SoFi reportedly opens July 25
    I was thinking parking would be open there, but maybe not.  Where do 20,000 people park for a show, without the Hollywood Park parking before SoFi started being built?  I haven't been to a show there since.
    They jam them in that lot. I think there’s been certain shows where they’ve had to turn people away because the lot is full but that's usually latecomers. There are some surrounding businesses that offer parking in their lots. I miss that Hollywood Park lot across the street. Was so much quicker to get out there.
    I'm going to be coming from Pasadena, so it's going to be hard to get there that early.  But I probably should make an effort.to do so.
  • smaksmak Posts: 187
    There still seems to be some parking across the street.  Just not nearly as much as their used to be.


  • It was recommended for visitors by some fine folks here that the best (and safest) options for hotels are along Century Blvd. We booked a room just east of the 405. Looks like a quick 10 minute Uber/Lyft from there to the Forum.  There looks to be a special section in the Forum parking lot for Ride Sharing/Taxis. Section H.
    We've moved to the Hermosa Beach area and away from Century Blvd. About 30 minutes from The Forum. Just wanted a nicer area to hang out during the day, and for my wife, who will be on her own Night 2, to not feel like a prisoner.
    Vancouver 2011, LA1 & LA2 2013, Vancouver 2013, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2 2018
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,801
    Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan beaches AKA 'South Bay' will be nice.  Hopefully less than 30mins.  It is not that far.  Take Aviation blvd north towards the Forum rather than getting on the 405 Freeway.  Will save you a lot of time.  Hermosa Pier was used in that dance scene in LALA Land movie.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • grizdawg420grizdawg420 Charlotte, NCPosts: 1
    Hi all!  we were going to be in LA for my kids spring break  - flying out from north carolina - scored 3 tix to the Wed 15th show - Sec 210 - my son will be 9yo - he has never been to a PJ show - not sure what to expect - hope the peeps around us are cool - may not make it the whole show but no way we could not go as we were already in LA that week - stayin in hollywood - should be fun!!!
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me / I'll hold the pain / Release me."


  • mdevitremdevitre Los AngelesPosts: 20
    If anyone has tix to 4-15, I desperately need 2!!  Thanks!!
    [X]  Ventura, California (May 12, 1992)
    [X]  Las Vegas, Nevada (December 01, 1993)
    [X]  Mountain View, California (October 01, 1994)
    [X]  San Diego, California (November 06, 1995)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (September 14, 1996)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (September 16, 1996)
    [X]  San Diego, California (July 10, 1998)
    [X]  Great Western Forum (July 13, 1998)
    [X]  Inglewood, California (July 14, 1998)
    [X]  Las Vegas, Nevada (October 22, 2000)
    [X]  Los Angeles, California (October 24, 2000)
    [X]  San Diego, California (October 25, 2000)
    [X]  Irvine, California (June 02, 2003)
    [X]  San Diego, California (June 05, 2003)
    [X]  Los Angeles, California (July 09, 2006)
    [X]  Hollywood, California (July 12, 2006)
    [X]  Santa Barbara, California (July 13, 2006)
    [X]  Universal City, California (September 30, 2009)
    [X]  Gibson Amphitheater (October 07, 2009)
    [X]  Los Angeles, CA (November 23, 2013)
    [X]  Los Angeles, CA (November 24, 2013)
    [X]  Greenville (April 16, 2016)
    [X]  Boston 1 (August 05, 2016)
    [X]  Boston 2 (August 07, 2016)
  • PJ N DCPJ N DC Posts: 130
    Is there anyone intrested in trading for a pair of LA N1 Sec. 229 .....in return for an excellent seat on either N1 or N2? 
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    00 - VA Beach, Columbia, MD
    03 - Pittsburgh, State College, PA, Bristow, VA, Scranton, PA
    05 - St. Johns, Newfoundland, Pittsburgh, Newark, The Vic
    08 - Washington, DC (EV Solo), VA Beach, Washington, DC
    09 - Philadelphia (EV Solo) & Philadelphia (Spectrum Shows)
    10 - Bristow, VA
    12 - Philadelphia (Made in America Festival)
    13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Charlottesville, VA, Charlotte, NC
    14 - St. Louis, MO
    16 - Hampton, VA, Philadelphia 2, New York City 1&2
    18 - Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San DiegoPosts: 1,037
    Hold On said:
    I couldn't find any roll call started yet for LA, so I'm starting one.  I'm going to San Diego, LA and Oakland shows, and I know SD and Oakland well, but don't know LA well.  What are the best places/best areas to stay in LA?  What's the best way to get to the Forum?  Any good options besides driving?  Any info would be very helpful.  
    I live in SD.... going to LA.. for shows at Forum I stay walking distance at the motels on Century (check hotels.com and search Inglewood for near Forum. 
    Parking and even getting an uber is PITA after shows. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 8,695
    Hold On said:
    I couldn't find any roll call started yet for LA, so I'm starting one.  I'm going to San Diego, LA and Oakland shows, and I know SD and Oakland well, but don't know LA well.  What are the best places/best areas to stay in LA?  What's the best way to get to the Forum?  Any good options besides driving?  Any info would be very helpful.  
    I live in SD.... going to LA.. for shows at Forum I stay walking distance at the motels on Century (check hotels.com and search Inglewood for near Forum. 
    Parking and even getting an uber is PITA after shows. 
    Thanks for that info. I'll check that out, but by any chance do you have some Hotel/s recommendation/s? (I'd like  to be within walking distance too)
  • baldog27baldog27 Posts: 71
    I am still looking for (1) LA1 GA - have San Diego Seat or LA1 J, or London, Budapest, AMS1 GA to trade
Sign In or Register to comment.