***Petition: PJ, Please Play A Tragically Hip Song In Ottawa***

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

PJ_Soul said:

Most Canadian Gen Xers love the Hip (plus many from other generations) and know how amazing they are. But no band is loved by everyone.
    Lucky for me, I love love love them. And i think a Hip ballad would be amazing for PJ to cover. I agree that Wheat Kings would be particularly perfect. But there are some rockers that PJ could easily pull off too. I think they could really kill several Hip covers.

I just started listening to these guys this week and I'm definitely a new fan! They've got a lot of catalog and I'm working my way through it day by day.
    Awesome! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited May 2016
    BS44325 said:

Last good Hip album was Phantom Power which was released in 98! They have barely been relevant since then. I've seen them live a billion times and always enjoyed their shows but they really lost their edge about 15 years ago. A hip cover just wouldn't make sense except for the small canadian contigent on these boards. For the most part they had zero impact on the international stage.

The thread is about PJ covering the Hip in Canada. That would be extremely relevant. The Hip are huge and very beloved in Canada, and they still easily sell out arena shows across the country, no matter how you feel about their last few albums.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited May 2016
    BS44325 said:

Last good Hip album was Phantom Power which was released in 98! They have barely been relevant since then. I've seen them live a billion times and always enjoyed their shows but they really lost their edge about 15 years ago. A hip cover just wouldn't make sense except for the small canadian contigent on these boards. For the most part they had zero impact on the international stage.

wow 6 albums, not including this years, that are all quality albums since PP. I'll will say "We are the Same" took awhile to grow on me but now enjoy listening too it, the remaining 5 are solid.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

The thread is about PJ covering the Hip in Canada. That would be extremely relevant. The Hip are huge and very beloved in Canada, and they still easily sell out arena shows across the country, no matter how you feel about their last few albums.
    Yeah but the band has no meaning to Pearl Jam. They cover Neil Young and others because he/they had an impact on them. PJ wouldn't cover the hip just because of our nostalgia and Gord's tragic bout with cancer. The Hip have not been relevant to the band so a cover, while appreciated, would seem out of place.
    edited May 2016
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

Yeah but the band has no meaning to Pearl Jam. They cover Neil Young and others because he/they had an impact on them. PJ wouldn't cover the hip just because of our nostalgia and Gord's tragic bout with cancer. The Hip have not been relevant to the band so a cover, while appreciated, would seem out of place.
    No, I have no reason to assume PJ has ever even listened to the Hip before (or maybe they have - who knows. I would be shocked if PJ didn't know who they are at least). But I think the idea is that they might learn a song for the fans. The relevancy is all about the Canadian fans, which is why I can see PJ doing it. Plus i'm sure they have real empathy for a fellow muscian with a serious illness and whose fans have that on their minds.
    But at any rate, PJ played "Running Back to Saskatoon" when they played there once, and I have never heard that the The Guess Who have any significant relevancy for the PJ, so they are obviously willing to play stuff just because of its relevancy to the place and the fans at the time. And it didn't seem out of place at all.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

No, I have no reason to assume PJ has ever even listened to the Hip before (or maybe they have - who knows. I would be shocked if PJ didn't know who they are at least). But I think the idea is that they might learn a song for the fans. The relevancy is all about the Canadian fans, which is why I can see PJ doing it. Plus i'm sure they have real empathy for a fellow muscian with a serious illness and whose fans have that on their minds.
    But at any rate, PJ played "Running Back to Saskatoon" when they played there once, and I have never heard that the The Guess Who have any significant relevancy for the PJ, so they are obviously willing to play stuff just because of its relevancy to the place and the fans at the time. And it didn't seem out of place at all.
    True on The Guess Who cover but they were a band that received major North American airplay back in the 70's. American Woman was massive. Taking Care of Business by BTO was huge. You couldn't listen to the radio in the 70's 80's and even now and not here these songs. Pearl Jam for sure heard them in their youth and were no doubt impacted by them in some way. The Hip never had an equivalent single that broke in the states and they came around too late to impact PJ.
  • ^^^
    The Hip never had an equivalent single that broke in the states and they came around too late to impact PJ.

That may be true but I think PJ is very in tune with musical surroundings.
    As PJSoul mentioned earlier Running Back to Saskatoon was very fitting (I was there)
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

True on The Guess Who cover but they were a band that received major North American airplay back in the 70's. American Woman was massive. Taking Care of Business by BTO was huge. You couldn't listen to the radio in the 70's 80's and even now and not here these songs. Pearl Jam for sure heard them in their youth and were no doubt impacted by them in some way. The Hip never had an equivalent single that broke in the states and they came around too late to impact PJ.
    The Guess Who example is one I was going to bring up as well (which I still find weird, since they were from Winnipeg-they should have played a GW tune in Winnipeg!). it would be weird for PJ to play the Hip anywhere but Canada, true. But in Canada, any arena here would go nuts. And it would be a nice gesture.

I can't imagine they'd never heard of the Hip. they are from seattle. a lot of radio there gets canadian crossover. also, they played in Vancouver and Toronto enough over the years they absolutely would have heard of them. Jeff Ament went to a Watchmen show years ago, and they were way lower on the radar than the Hip.

kind of strange to argue about this, isn't it?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    terrible music

terrible music

:hushed:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• GustieIIIGustieIII Posts: 231
    I think the Hip should cover PearlJam on this tour, really serve the Canadian fanbase...
    What do you think would be the best song to cover?
    My vote is foxymophandlemama ;)
    Like A Fist To The Jaw
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    How about PJ cover last of the unplucked gems?
    Simple but sweet.....boots and hearts?
    Man ol man...
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    BS44325 said:

I know people that would say that a certain "other" band hasn't had a good album since 1998.

I don't like talking to these people.
    rummy said:

BS44325 said:

I know people that would say that a certain "other" band hasn't had a good album since 1998.

I don't like talking to these people.
    as to your first sentence: exactly.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PEMBERTON.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I'm going to resurrect this thread. My wife and I are hitting the Ottawa show (if we get chosen!), and while I know that Toronto is probably the most likely place they'd bust out a Hip cover, however unlikely that is, it would be amazing if they did it in Ottawa. 

Grace, Too?
    Ahead By A Century?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,394
    I heard that Canada legalized marijuana exactly one year to the date of Downie's death. 

I have no suggestions or requests of their songs to cover. I seem to recall Ed only met Gord briefly at one point in time. I do commend the Hip for their First Nation, Metis, and Inuit activism. For example: why does the entire world know Greta's name, but not the young First Nation's girls name who does the Water walk? 
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    If we can't stand them at their Last Kiss, we don't deserve them at their Grace, Too.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Hope they get a chance to cover one of their songs this March. 
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Grace, too would be unbelievable - definitely a song Ed would kill. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Most Canadian Gen Xers love the Hip (plus many from other generations) and know how amazing they are. But no band is loved by everyone. Lucky for me, I love love love them. And i think a Hip ballad would be amazing for PJ to cover. I agree that Wheat Kings would be particularly perfect. But there are some rockers that PJ could easily pull off too. I think they could really kill several Hip covers.
    I just started listening to these guys this week and I'm definitely a new fan! They've got a lot of catalog and I'm working my way through it day by day.
        So many great tunes.  The earlier albums are their best work.  I came to the Hip very late - just a few years ago, and never saw them live.  Us that were at Wrigley 1 in 2016 remember that EV gave them a shout out from the stage that night as their final show in Kingston was being played as we were watching PJ.   
  • Allspread said:
    Most Canadian Gen Xers love the Hip (plus many from other generations) and know how amazing they are. But no band is loved by everyone. Lucky for me, I love love love them. And i think a Hip ballad would be amazing for PJ to cover. I agree that Wheat Kings would be particularly perfect. But there are some rockers that PJ could easily pull off too. I think they could really kill several Hip covers.
        So many great tunes.  The earlier albums are their best work.  I came to the Hip very late - just a few years ago, and never saw them live.  Us that were at Wrigley 1 in 2016 remember that EV gave them a shout out from the stage that night as their final show in Kingston was being played as we were watching PJ.   
    I missed Wrigley to be at that show in Kingston. Man, what a special night that was. Still can't bring myself to go back and re-watch the concert.
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Lake Fever would be a good one, too...let's make it happen!
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • I'd see Ed do Ahead by a Century solo during encore 2 at Ottawa. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Would love a full song but a tag would be cool as well. Pretty awesome when Ed stopped the Wrigley Night 1 show to talk about Gord Downie. 
    PJNB said:
    Would love a full song but a tag would be cool as well. Pretty awesome when Ed stopped the Wrigley Night 1 show to talk about Gord Downie. 
    absolutely. I started this thread prior to that show, and just him talking about him and the Hip was as much as a canadian/hip fan could have hoped for. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SB117186SB117186 Posts: 334
    PJNB said:
    I was streaming the PJ show on my phone while watching the Hip show on CBC, what a night!
    BS44325 said:
    Ed's speech at wrigley tells you you are incorrect. 
    Jeff's "best of" in Rolling Stone (Gord's solo album Introduce Yerself, which Jeff said made him openly weep) would also tell you that. 

people in here underestimate this band's reach with other musicians. Sure, they didn't "make it" in the US if you measure it by their canadian success, but they toured the US extensively, sometimes playing 2000 seat theatres. Not sure how that's not making it in the US. Any band would kill for that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    BS44325 said:
    Ed's speech at wrigley tells you you are incorrect. 
    Jeff's "best of" in Rolling Stone (Gord's solo album Introduce Yerself, which Jeff said made him openly weep) would also tell you that. 

people in here underestimate this band's reach with other musicians. Sure, they didn't "make it" in the US if you measure it by their canadian success, but they toured the US extensively, sometimes playing 2000 seat theatres. Not sure how that's not making it in the US. Any band would kill for that. 
    The idea that the Hip never made it because they weren't an arena act in the United States is so thoroughly bizarre to me. Something like ten million people watched their last show. Wanna know what that is? A BAND THAT MADE IT REALLY FUCKING BIG.
    Anyway, if we're talking Pearl Jam covering the Hip, it'd be cliched, but Ed would nail "Wheat Kings." He really, really would.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • I thought a PJ cover of the Hip was possible and was hoping for it until Neil Peart shockingly passed away last week. I would highly expect at a minimum for Ed to say some very kind words about both of these important and influential artists.  In the unlikely event a cover or tag is done it would probably be Rush with the news being so recent. 
    Then again... I’ve been wrong many many many times in my life.