***The Official Stone Temple Pilots Thread***

Comments

• JT167846JT167846 Posts: 782
    I'm looking forward to the Tiny Music super deluxe set. Not for myself, just I was going through my CDs a few years back as I've lived overseas for 15 years or so and found a copy of Tiny Music my friend lent me in like 2000 which I totally forgot to give back. So when it drops I'll surprise her with it and say both thank you and sorry! I never do that generally as I'm so anal with mine...still feel stink about it!
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited December 2019
    new album coming out called Perdida Splash, acoustic based 10 track record. Out beginning of Feb. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    On top of that, they've announced some semi-intimate acoustic performances. 

I still wish the DeLeo brothers just retired the STP name and continued on under something else. 
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I still haven't received my replacement Live 2018 vinyl.
    I got mine a while back. I badgered them several times though. You might have to do the same. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465

I still wish the DeLeo brothers just retired the STP name and continued on under something else. 
    I agree that it's not the same STP, but the surviving members do have a right to tour and make money off the name. They've tried other names with different singers in the past (Talk Show, Army of Anyone) with little success.

I agree that it's not the same STP, but the surviving members do have a right to tour and make money off the name. They've tried other names with different singers in the past (Talk Show, Army of Anyone) with little success.
    exactly. name is just a marketing tool. talk show was a great record. but you're only as successful as your branding and how much push you get from your record company. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    How successful are they?  I just got an email that they're playing the commodore in Vancouver.   That's a bar that holds a max of 1100 people.   That's a pretty small venue.   As much as I believe they have the right to use the name to earn a living, they do seem to be losing their ability to make money off it.
  • ewalesewales Victoria, B.C Posts: 13
    edited December 2019
    I'm going to pick up some tickets to the Vancouver show tomorrow.
    Stone Temple Pilots were my favorite band as a kid, to get to see the Deleo brothers at the Commodore is pretty cool. I know it's not the same band, but I saw them in 2008 and I don't really think Scott was there if you know what I mean.
    If they're going to play Atlanta or Adhesive it'll be worth it.
    Post edited by ewales on
    Zod said:
    How successful are they?  I just got an email that they're playing the commodore in Vancouver.   That's a bar that holds a max of 1100 people.   That's a pretty small venue.   As much as I believe they have the right to use the name to earn a living, they do seem to be losing their ability to make money off it.
    Pretty sure they're doing small venues because of the acoustic nature of the new record.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Zod said:
    Pretty sure they're doing small venues because of the acoustic nature of the new record.
    Even still, it’s a helluva paycheck.
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    During my outing on RSD, picked up a copy of STP unplugged '93. Really looking to spin this. 
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
    During my outing on RSD, picked up a copy of STP unplugged '93. Really looking to spin this. 
    You'll have to let me know how that sounds.  A friend of mine bought one of the unplugged bootlegs and it was obviously sourced from the mp3's of a bad VHS copy.  It even had 2 second gaps between the songs...

Given that there was a really nice copy on the CD inside the core boxset, it would be nice if they gave it an official pressing one day (or if a bootlegger used that source :) ).
    In regards to the comment about small venues because it's acoustic.   I'd almost thing a 4000 seat Theatre would be a better fit than a 1100 seats open designed bar?   I assumed they'd go for a bigger payday if they thought they could?

I dunno..  I haven't gone to any shows with the new singer.   I've read for the first tour it was mostly small theatres.   There doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm for it, so maybe it continues to wane?
    Zod said:
    In regards to the comment about small venues because it's acoustic.   I'd almost thing a 4000 seat Theatre would be a better fit than a 1100 seats open designed bar?   I assumed they'd go for a bigger payday if they thought they could?

I dunno..  I haven't gone to any shows with the new singer.   I've read for the first tour it was mostly small theatres.   There doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm for it, so maybe it continues to wane?
    the last time STP toured here WITH Scott, they had to switch venues from the arena to the Burton Cummings theatre, which holds 1500. and it did not sell out. 

when the new STP with Jeff toured here for the new record, they came with like 5 other bands, played the arena, but the stage was moved up significantly, and there was a LOT of empty seats. They co headlined with Seether FFS. They keep getting lumped in with the post-grunge bands, which I find really odd. 

I have a feeling they won't ever reach the arena status again. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Zod said:

the last time STP toured here WITH Scott, they had to switch venues from the arena to the Burton Cummings theatre, which holds 1500. and it did not sell out. 

when the new STP with Jeff toured here for the new record, they came with like 5 other bands, played the arena, but the stage was moved up significantly, and there was a LOT of empty seats. They co headlined with Seether FFS. They keep getting lumped in with the post-grunge bands, which I find really odd. 

Probably not but they are still a great live band.  I caught them at Louder than Life in Louisville a few months back.  

I was actually an STP fan before I was a PJ fan
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Zod said:

Probably not but they are still a great live band.  I caught them at Louder than Life in Louisville a few months back.  

I was actually an STP fan before I was a PJ fan
    they are. I really wish Jeff would stop the Scott impersonation though. it's so egregious it actually made me uncomfortable. nobody dances like scott on stage. jeff has copied it step for step. it's weird. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I guess I didn't notice that too much.  He does sound like him for sure.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I guess I didn't notice that too much.  He does sound like him for sure.
    he does, and that's obviously why they chose him. at the show in winnipeg it was incredibly weird how he was doing the scott shuffle. and wearing the exact same type outfit that scott wore on stage here in 2008. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I got mine a while back. I badgered them several times though. You might have to do the same. 
    Yeah, I'll have to follow-up on that again with Dr. Rhino. I got an email on 3/15 saying that replacements have shipped. I last emailed them on 5/1 saying that I haven't received mine yet. No response from them, but I get busy and then forget to follow up.

As for the other discussions here, I saw Talk Show open for Foo Fighters in 97, and they were heavily booed. Not because they were bad, but because people wanted Weiland. I recall enjoying that album, but whether they call themselves STP or something else, they will always be compared to the original lineup.

I also really enjoyed the last album, so hopefully this next one is good. I didn't see them on tour though, as the closest was a festival 5 hours away and I didn't care about enough of the bands to make the trek. I do agree that he needs his own sound though. But that could be argued both ways.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

Id Like to see a brother(S) tour. Something Like ...

STP

Black Crowes

Oasis

Collective Soul

Im sure that would put asses in the seats.

Alone, these guys (minus Oasis) cant sell out sheds but together, they could take over the world. HAHA

Yeah, I'll have to follow-up on that again with Dr. Rhino. I got an email on 3/15 saying that replacements have shipped. I last emailed them on 5/1 saying that I haven't received mine yet. No response from them, but I get busy and then forget to follow up.

As for the other discussions here, I saw Talk Show open for Foo Fighters in 97, and they were heavily booed. Not because they were bad, but because people wanted Weiland. I recall enjoying that album, but whether they call themselves STP or something else, they will always be compared to the original lineup.

I also really enjoyed the last album, so hopefully this next one is good. I didn't see them on tour though, as the closest was a festival 5 hours away and I didn't care about enough of the bands to make the trek. I do agree that he needs his own sound though. But that could be argued both ways.
    yeah, I bought tickets last minute as I cared for none of the other bands on the bill. but I hate making the mistake of passing on a show for it to never come up as an opportunity again. STP came for Core opening for freaking Megadeth, and I skipped it (i was in my "leaving metal" stage), and they didn't come back until the reunion record. would have loved to have seen the early years. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

4 years today. RIP Scott. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I was thinking about seeing him exactly 4 years ago, but the show was canceled due to low tickets sales, if memory serves me.
    makes you wonder if STP deliberately scheduled the announcement of the new album the day before the anniversary of SW's passing, knowing people would be checking out their socials that day. 

god I would hope not. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

STP

Black Crowes

Oasis

Collective Soul

Alone, these guys (minus Oasis) cant sell out sheds but together, they could take over the world. HAHA

That's actually a pretty good idea. You should sell that idea to theory promoters.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    edited December 2019

STP

Black Crowes

Oasis

Collective Soul

There can be an indie version with Arcade Fire and The National.
    Post edited by darthvedder on
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Well, got me some tickets for STP in Toronto this February.
    its a cool venue and how could I miss an acoustic show. This will be my first show seeing the new guy. I’ve seen STP two other times and both with Scott.
    Zod said:

I guess to be fair.. I'm not sure how much Arena status they achieved.  I saw STP 3 times.  First time was the Queen E. Theater in Vancouver in 2000.   That was the No. 4 tour before things started to go bad.   The show was really good and it sold out but it wasn't a big venue (I heard they were supposed to play a similar venue in '96, but I think it got cancelled due to the blizzard).   We drove overnight to Portland and went to Tattoo the Earth which was a metal festival.  Somehow they got tacked on as the headliner.   That show as amazing.    Then I saw them around 2010ish play the small arena here in Victoria.  It was pretty full but I don't think it sold out.  The show wasn't great.  Band and the crowd were pretty lathargic.

Sometimes it's kind of crazy that we had so many of these big 90s bands, but many of them never really sustained arena popularity.   Or could only do them in bigger markets.   I saw Nirvana play the PNE forum in '94 which holds 5000 people.  I saw Soundgarden play the same venue in '96.   Soundgarden got a tour of bigger venues when they reunited (saw the gorge show), but were back to theatres the tour after.

Even the pumpkins were playing bigger shows (rocking the crap out of GM place in '96), but many of those bands just started to kiss arenas but couldn't hold onto them :(
    when STP came here in 2009 they played the arena and it was pretty full. and that was without a new record. but it was their first show here since 93. so there's that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD