Options

NCAA College Football -

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    I think there is more to it than that....will be interesting to see how it plays out
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    I think there is more to it than that....will be interesting to see how it plays out
    I dunno.....they’ll be one of the one loss teams and their one loss will have been to #1. if they lose again, they’re done. an LSU loss might let someone it, too, but I don’t see that happening.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,779
    This definitely feels like the most wide open CFP race so far, doesn't it? So many legitimate scenarios. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,947
    Go Dawgs!!!!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Because of Georgia's unimpressive win against A&M and Alabama's shellacking of WCU they get 4th place.

Oklahoma and Utah will be the other 2 odd man out teams w 1 loss.

Next week has Nothing crazy.  OSU should walk all over Mich and the other entertaining game would be Alabama and Auburn.

The polls should have LSU, OSU Clemson and Bama in the top 4. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    I think Bamas win should be meaningless.  Playing a JV team at this point of the season is even more of a joke than starting with one.
    I don't put them at 4, but we will see.  (I say UGA)
  • Options
    I think Bamas win should be meaningless.  Playing a JV team at this point of the season is even more of a joke than starting with one.
    I don't put them at 4, but we will see.  (I say UGA)
    Exactly.  Georgia barely beat a shit team.  That always holds weight.

LSU will be 4.
  • Options
    Don't think so.  
    We will see what the committee says.
  • Options
    Don't think so.  
    Theres always the LSU Georgia game too.  Georgia loses that and Bama is in.
  • Options
    Don't think so.  
    This is what I see happening.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    Any chance Oklahoma is able to crack the 4-spot?  They still have a Big 12 title game to try to change some minds.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Any chance Oklahoma is able to crack the 4-spot?  They still have a Big 12 title game to try to change some minds.
    The playoff committee and the media that persuades them are nothing but a bunch of SEC dick-tuggers, so no chance Oklahoma gets in. 
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    There are still a lot of big games left to play. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Agree.  Many scenarios still to play out.  Hoping we see some crazy results the next few weeks.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,015
    edited November 2019
    Why do they stick to just a 4 playoff system anyway? Doesn't make sense to me since it is a little subjective to begin with. Should have at least 8. Even top 12 with 1-4 getting a bi the first week would only add 2 more weeks to the season. Seems like no big deal to me, especially since there's like 3 or 4 weeks off before playoffs begin.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    mace1229 said:
    Why do they stick to just a 4 playoff system anyway? Doesn't make sense to me since it is a little subjective to begin with. Should have at least 8. Even top 12 with 1-4 getting a bi the first week would only add 2 more weeks to the season. Seems like no big deal to me, especially since there's like 3 or 4 weeks off before playoffs begin.
    I'm with ya!  And get rid of the totally pointless conference championship games while we're at it!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    This is definitely a year that makes the case for 8 teams.

It would give plenty of elbow-room to give the Pac-12 and Big-12 winners a shot.  Also Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Georgia.  Clemson

The 8th team would be the point of contention....  Florida?  Utah/Oregon loser?  Baylor?  Penn State/Michigan/Wisconsin?  

It would also provide ample space for when there is an undefeated Mid-Major worthy enough.... or when Notre Dame doesnt play anyone and the NCAA wants the TV money.
  • Options
    Eventually they'll go to 8.  It'll be more financially motivated than morally.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Here's how Division II does it (go Northwest Missouri State, btw, class of 2005!):

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    So they go to eight and then the argument becomes who's the best two-loss team. The it goes to sixteen, and everybody is arguing who's the best three-loss team. 
    If it went to sixteen eventually, then Bowl games become obsolete. This is probably inevitable though within ten years.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,015
    I don't think that would be a very valid argument if that did happen. Right now you have a #5 seed who is currently out of the playoffs because their one loss is to the #1 team. While I am happy to see Alabama out of it for now, really if your 1 loss is to the top rated team you should deserve a shot in playoffs. 
    When the argument gets down to which 2 or 3 loss teams deserve to be in, well they probably don't have a real shot anyway. Its more symbolic at that point, but there's a few 1-loss teams that can have a shot most years.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,207
    mace1229 said:
    I don't think that would be a very valid argument if that did happen. Right now you have a #5 seed who is currently out of the playoffs because their one loss is to the #1 team. While I am happy to see Alabama out of it for now, really if your 1 loss is to the top rated team you should deserve a shot in playoffs. 
    When the argument gets down to which 2 or 3 loss teams deserve to be in, well they probably don't have a real shot anyway. Its more symbolic at that point, but there's a few 1-loss teams that can have a shot most years.
    it will go to 8 eventually.  5 top conferences champions all will get an automatic bid and the last 3 will be at-large. so no more shutting out the Pac-12 and Big-12 and also allows for multiple SEC teams and wild cards like Notre Dame and smaller conference teams.  8 makes perfect sense under that scenario.
  • Options
    A different look at the idea that losing to the #1 team should get you a shot in playoffs.

You already were measured, and you were found lacking.
    You already lost.
    Give someone else a shot -- the idea is to figure out the best team, right?  Well, if so, Alabama ain't it if LSU runs the table and heads in, undefeated.
    I might argue that it should disqualify them.

Now...if LSU loses a game, then I think that changes things.  All of the sudden they could be viewed as equal.  (Although if you can only take one clearly you take LSU since they already have an answer to the question of who would win that matchup.)
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,637
    Don't think so.  
    I don't see this happening.  I think if OU wins out, without any undue drama, they will get the nod.  They ahve a close loss to a solid KState team on the road.  Alabama really needs to pass the eye test with Mac to get the nod.  Remember that Auburn gets credit, but they are...what a four loss team?  Meh.  OU should get in as a conference winner vs a non-divisional winner with a backup QB.  
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    A different look at the idea that losing to the #1 team should get you a shot in playoffs.

You already were measured, and you were found lacking.
    You already lost.
    Give someone else a shot -- the idea is to figure out the best team, right?  Well, if so, Alabama ain't it if LSU runs the table and heads in, undefeated.
    I might argue that it should disqualify them.

Now...if LSU loses a game, then I think that changes things.  All of the sudden they could be viewed as equal.  (Although if you can only take one clearly you take LSU since they already have an answer to the question of who would win that matchup.)
    Further to my point above, if GA beats LSU, I think they are both in.  They won't take a one loss OU vs a one loss LSU unless LSU gets mauled, Burrow suffers a season ending injury, etc.  In other words, something that makes LSU look non-competitive.  
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,779
    I'm rooting for chaos the next 2 weeks.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,832
    O to the motherfucking H!!!!!!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I - O!

that’s domination, homes.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Drive,  drive on down the field... men of scarlet and grey...
  • Options
    I'm for Harbaugh losing - every chance we get!