Is technology taking over our lives?!?

167891012»

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    just grounded my 13 year old daughter from her phone for lying about usage. we'll see if it's taking over her life or mine in the next few days! LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• just grounded my 13 year old daughter from her phone for lying about usage. we'll see if it's taking over her life or mine in the next few days! LOL
    Keep us updated!

I figure a week of withdrawal you should see some warning signs, lol.  She would be missing out on EVERYTHING!
  • So I was on twitter and again noticed that pretty much all it is, is people retweeting other stories.

The same thing can be regurgitated millions of times and still be a "fresh" tweet.

Friggin crazy.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    So I was on twitter and again noticed that pretty much all it is, is people retweeting other stories.

The same thing can be regurgitated millions of times and still be a "fresh" tweet.

Friggin crazy.
    I've reduced my Facebook usage to probably an average of one or two minutes a day (usually just checking in to see if I have any  messages) and avoid Twitter like the plague I believe it is.  I refuse to have or own a Smart Phone, especially as I watch someone close to me become more and more addicted to hers.  That doesn't mean I think electronic media is evil- quite the opposite, it has many excellent qualities- but social media like FB and Twitter are ruining multiple generations.  Each each one that follows is getting sucked in more than the next and sooner. 

What will this all lead to?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    So.  Figured I would bump this thread as the AI world is heating up with ChatGPT.

Have you seen the commercial w the kids talking about internet lag and AI doing their homework?

We are and will be at the mercy of the machines soon.

Crazy that the newer youth doesn't want to drive or go out.  I guess that means more sunsets for me, lol?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    So.  Figured I would bump this thread as the AI world is heating up with ChatGPT.

Have you seen the commercial w the kids talking about internet lag and AI doing their homework?

Crazy that the newer youth doesn't want to drive or go out.  I guess that means more sunsets for me, lol?
    I want AI to make my cocktails at home for me! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

I want AI to make my cocktails at home for me! 
    You need Rosey!
    Are Robots the Future of Retail
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

Several years ago I had a client develop a website that brought writers and people needing a writer (term papers, book reports, ads, etc.) together online. It was pretty slick. You filled out what you needed, how many words, etc., and a fee would be generated that would either be accepted or rejected.

Now the shit writes itself. Insane.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Several years ago I had a client develop a website that brought writers and people needing a writer (term papers, book reports, ads, etc.) together online. It was pretty slick. You filled out what you needed, how many words, etc., and a fee would be generated that would either be accepted or rejected.

At what point do the kids become so lazy that we become the movie Wall-E.  That movie was actually more disturbing than Idiocracy.

Any teachers notice AI doing the work for them?  My GF has...
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694

At what point do the kids become so lazy that we become the movie Wall-E.  That movie was actually more disturbing than Idiocracy.

I caught a few of my college students using AI this year. I give them one chance to redo the paper for a reduced grade. If they use it again they get a zero on the assignment. So far, no repeat offenders. 
    GlowGirl said:

I caught a few of my college students using AI this year. I give them one chance to redo the paper for a reduced grade. If they use it again they get a zero on the assignment. So far, no repeat offenders. 
    It's funny because as a teacher on the subject you know when it's bullshit, lol.
  • I wasn't sure where to put this.  I ride and this scared the shit out of me when I saw it.  Is this what our youth thinks will get them clicks on social media?  This is just nuts to me.

They mow down a bike rider and kill him for fun.  So help me if they get off for this.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/09/17/car-hits-bicycle-kills-murder-video-las-vegas/
  • People are so detached and desperate for attention. It's pathetic and horrific 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • I wasn't sure where to put this.  I ride and this scared the shit out of me when I saw it.  Is this what our youth thinks will get them clicks on social media?  This is just nuts to me.

They mow down a bike rider and kill him for fun.  So help me if they get off for this.

Hope they rot in jail 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

Hope they rot in jail 
    That doesn't seem to phase people.  I think most don't believe they'll get into trouble or jail time.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I saw that video the other day and it horrified me. How can you be so callous as to do something like that? plan it out, and execute it, knowing the full well this, at the least, changes someone's life, or at most, ends it? WTAF
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I saw that video the other day and it horrified me. How can you be so callous as to do something like that? plan it out, and execute it, knowing the full well this, at the least, changes someone's life, or at most, ends it? WTAF
    They seem to not think it would kill him?  Is that a video game thing?  Has it finally done what people were worried about all those years ago?

It was done very nonchalant and callous as you said.  Would be interesting to hear why they thought it was a good idea.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I wasn't sure where to put this.  I ride and this scared the shit out of me when I saw it.  Is this what our youth thinks will get them clicks on social media?  This is just nuts to me.

This is outrageous, holy fuck.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    I bike about 120 miles per week (for about six months/year here in Minnesota). I'm a purely recreational rider and 90% of my rides are on recreational paths. That said, I am on streets at times and it's tough enough riding on streets with the speeds and the so-so attention drivers pay to their surroundings, not to mention the occasional driver who is angry enough to actually yell at me for daring to transport myself without a motor.  How awesome to think that now someone could try to hit more for sport and clout...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    OnWis97 said:
    I bike about 120 miles per week (for about six months/year here in Minnesota). I'm a purely recreational rider and 90% of my rides are on recreational paths. That said, I am on streets at times and it's tough enough riding on streets with the speeds and the so-so attention drivers pay to their surroundings, not to mention the occasional driver who is angry enough to actually yell at me for daring to transport myself without a motor.  How awesome to think that now someone could try to hit more for sport and clout...

Almost got into accident last week as a passenger because the other driver didn't understand rules of a three way stop sign. Its dangerous out there. 
  • PEGASUS

I just heard a CRAZY story on NPR about Pegasus.  I had forgot about it until yesterday.  The story was about the newspaper in El Salvador. That is the first article.  The others are good reads too.   

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/13/1072867927/journalists-probing-salvadoran-government-were-spied-on-using-military-grade-tec

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/8/what-you-need-to-know-about-israeli-spyware-pegasus

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/18/1164565631/mexico-probes-armys-use-of-spyware-against-human-rights-activists