*** Charlottesville Fanviews Here 10/29/13 ***

1111213141517»

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Tiki said:
    5 years already?   dammnnnn
    Seems like 5 days ago.  OK, maybe 5 months.  But definitely not 5 years.
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    About time for a redo...
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    One of those increasingly rare times where you could road trip between shows (Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte).
  • One of those increasingly rare times where you could road trip between shows (Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte).
    I did the same trip!  It was awesome.  Granted I live in Charlottesville, which made it easier, but still: it was great.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    One of those increasingly rare times where you could road trip between shows (Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte).
    I did the same trip!  It was awesome.  Granted I live in Charlottesville, which made it easier, but still: it was great.
    I live in Richmond, but C'ville is one of my favorite cities in America, especially this time of  year.  I love going to JPJ for any show.  Super excited for the two DMB shows next month.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    I live in Richmond, but C'ville is one of my favorite cities in America, especially this time of  year.  I love going to JPJ for any show.  Super excited for the two DMB shows next month.  
    Oh cool, I love going to Deep Groove in the Fan.  I love Bodos, the rest of Cvile is meh for me, as is DMB, but I'll be at that show too haha.

Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    Oh cool, I love going to Deep Groove in the Fan.  I love Bodos, the rest of Cvile is meh for me, as is DMB, but I'll be at that show too haha.

Deep Groove is cool because it's small and it's in the fan.  But the best record store is BK Records which is just south of the river, 10 minutes from Deep Groove.  Way better selection and prices.  They actually beat or tie Amazon with their new vinyl prices, which is amazing.  

See I love the university scene in C'ville.  I tried to get my oldest to go but it was too big for her.  She's at W&M now which is also only an hour away, but it's small like she likes it.  
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    6 years ago I was hopping in the car.....
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

6 years ago I was hopping in the car.....
    Woohoo!  Still my favorite show from this decade (with the possible exception of Seattle 2 of last year).  But the intimacy, the crowd, the campus, sunny fall day in Charlottesville.. it was all absolutely perfect.  And man did they uncork a show...
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Still hurts that i missed this show. I had 10 C tickets too.

GREAT Bootleg, though.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    such a fan of this show...
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • DV28676DV28676 Posts: 25
    edited September 2022
    Regarding the two boys Eddie pulled onstage in Charlottesville, Dane just started his third year at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD. He is studying to be a naval officer and also throws the discus, hammer, and shot for the Navy Track & Field team. Heath just committed to throw for the University of Miami. He is still a senior in high school. My baby girl is now nine and is attending her first show tonight in OKC. 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    DV28676 said:
    Regarding the two boys Eddie pulled onstage in Charlottesville, Dane just started his third year at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD. He is studying to be a naval officer and also throws the discus, hammer, and shot for the Navy Track & Field team. Heath just committed to throw for the University of Miami. He is still a senior in high school. My baby girl is now nine and is attending her first show tonight in OKC. 
    I don't even know you and I seriously just teared up at this update.  Well done with your young'uns!  That is all so cool...  Please report on what your baby girl thinks of her first PJ show!
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,015
    DV28676 said:
    awesome!
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
    edited September 2023
    Post edited by spankyMP on
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 398
    10 years ago and still the best concert I've ever been to 
    GB281198 said:
    Oh wow, the 10 yr anniversary of this show snuck up on me and passed me... which means my 30 yr anniversary of my first PJ show ever also snuck up on me and passed me, because part of why I was so emotional at this show was realizing it was my 20 yr anniversary of being a PJ fan, that first show at the Warfield in San Francisco.

This remains one of my most favorite PJ shows, even though I saw some epic ones between '93 and '00 (both famous epic ones and ones just epic to me). Seattle 2 in 2018 joined the ranks of "Best Ever" 5 yrs later, but this Charlottesville one remains so special. And how crazy, I'll be there next weekend to the same John Paul Jones Arena to see another band. I'll yell hello in there from everyone who treasures the memory of that show <3
    JH6056 said:
    GB281198 said:
    Oh wow, the 10 yr anniversary of this show snuck up on me and passed me... which means my 30 yr anniversary of my first PJ show ever also snuck up on me and passed me, because part of why I was so emotional at this show was realizing it was my 20 yr anniversary of being a PJ fan, that first show at the Warfield in San Francisco.

This remains one of my most favorite PJ shows, even though I saw some epic ones between '93 and '00 (both famous epic ones and ones just epic to me). Seattle 2 in 2018 joined the ranks of "Best Ever" 5 yrs later, but this Charlottesville one remains so special. And how crazy, I'll be there next weekend to the same John Paul Jones Arena to see another band. I'll yell hello in there from everyone who treasures the memory of that show <3
    Sounds like we are of a like mindset.  For years I had C'ville as my favorite show of this "era".  And then Wrigley 2 2016 was right up there, and recently just surpassed by Seatte2 which was just off the chain.  What keeps C'ville still right there was the intimacy of the show, in the small venue, amazing set.  I was in pit for all three of these shows that I mention, but C'ville I was right in front of Stone which I really enjoyed.  Anyway, still such an amazing show on an amazing beautiful fall day in the foothills of Virginia.  Can't beat it. 

Also, sounds like you are going to DMB next weekend.  I'll be there as well.  I never miss the fall tour home shows.  I love the Nov/Dec run that they do.  My son is at JMU and will be meeting me there for the show, as I'm in Richmond. 
    mrussel1 said:
    JH6056 said:
    GB281198 said:

Sounds like we are of a like mindset.  For years I had C'ville as my favorite show of this "era".  And then Wrigley 2 2016 was right up there, and recently just surpassed by Seatte2 which was just off the chain.  What keeps C'ville still right there was the intimacy of the show, in the small venue, amazing set.  I was in pit for all three of these shows that I mention, but C'ville I was right in front of Stone which I really enjoyed.  Anyway, still such an amazing show on an amazing beautiful fall day in the foothills of Virginia.  Can't beat it. 

Also, sounds like you are going to DMB next weekend.  I'll be there as well.  I never miss the fall tour home shows.  I love the Nov/Dec run that they do.  My son is at JMU and will be meeting me there for the show, as I'm in Richmond. 
    Oh wow no kidding? Let me know if there's a meet up, especially before Friday's show! I have poopy upper level WH seats for both nights, and 2nd night will be on my own, but a meet up would be great to know about if there is one, we can say hi in person!
    JH6056 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JH6056 said:
    GB281198 said:

Oh wow no kidding? Let me know if there's a meet up, especially before Friday's show! I have poopy upper level WH seats for both nights, and 2nd night will be on my own, but a meet up would be great to know about if there is one, we can say hi in person!
    I'll do that.  I'm not sure which I'm attending yet.  I'm going to Greenville with my wife next week for that show.  I'm taking a client and his wife that live there.  And then one or both Cville.  I didn't do warehouse for this.  In fact I've been skipping warehouse lately and just doing instant ticketing or going to Ants Marching.  I feel like the Warehouse isn't the best bet anymore.  Too often I end up with mediocre seats. 
    mrussel1 said:
    JH6056 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JH6056 said:
    GB281198 said:

I'll do that.  I'm not sure which I'm attending yet.  I'm going to Greenville with my wife next week for that show.  I'm taking a client and his wife that live there.  And then one or both Cville.  I didn't do warehouse for this.  In fact I've been skipping warehouse lately and just doing instant ticketing or going to Ants Marching.  I feel like the Warehouse isn't the best bet anymore.  Too often I end up with mediocre seats. 
    Lesson definitely learned on the Warehouse side. We can take this convo over to another forum if we need to, but what is "instant ticketing"? Remember I'm way out of touch with most DMB stuff :)  And cool, let me know when you know what you're doing. I'm a bit reliant on the friend I'm staying with in terms of when we get to JPJ but she'd probably be good with going to a gathering even though I'm definitely the bigger DMB fan.  Enjoy Greenville!
    mrussel1 said:
    JH6056 said:
    GB281198 said:

I was right in front of stone as well, 2nd off the rail. I posted some video clips above of when Eddie fake stage dove on us and Mike's solo during alive. I still hold this up as my top show and I've been at some all time greats. Being in the pit just elevates the experience, so being in the pit for Austin 1 this year is up there for me too.