Advice on how to get out of jury duty.

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    There are plenty of people not-working...figure a way to draw from the pool of the unemployed and compensate them fairly...my time is not free, especially for the government.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    deadendp said:

It was one of these. I think the first one, though. 
    My husband did something similar, though ultimately he was released because he said he knew people who'd been arrested on bullshit charges.

It's a pain in the ass but the two times I actually served, I was interested to see how the process works.

I was disappointed, and ended up people-watching.

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    hedonist said:
    deadendp said:

It was one of these. I think the first one, though. 
    My husband did something similar, though ultimately he was released because he said he knew people who'd been arrested on bullshit charges.

It's a pain in the ass but the two times I actually served, I was interested to see how the process works.

I was disappointed, and ended up people-watching.

I'm going to get crap about this, but every single time my husband votes, he is pulled up for jury duty.  He has a job that is scheduled 6-12 months in advance.  Since they schedule down to the last person, there is no extra human to take his place. 

No, he is not one to call off-- at all.  

So, when he has to go in for jury duty, it is a giant pain in his ass.  He said that he will never vote again.  I can't make him do it and it's his choice.  

I seem to get called up every two years and I vote every time I can.  

Our daughter, soon-to-be 16, is beyond irritated that she cannot vote in the next presidential election.  Makes me thrilled to see her want to vote.  She'll probably get called up as often as I do.  Her introvert will come out to play.  She will be excused.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Poncier said:
    Act like you have Tourette's and keep blurting out stuff like "Judge is an asshole!", "whoop whoop guilty!" "Fry the bastard!" "Qantas never crashed"
    reminds me of the South Park episode where Cartman pretends to have tourette's :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp1KMYvqkeo&t

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Related to a cop. Your cousin married one. Like that...
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    ^ I mean if it's a criminal case 
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    In Pittsburgh there’s a question in the initial questionnaire.. Are you capable of equality weighing the testimony of both the defendant and police... something like that. I answer no, and when asked why I say I would tend to believe to testimony of police officers. I’m 2/2 using that to get out. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I've only ever gotten a call twice. But then got a call a day or two before each report date and was told I wasn't needed.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    dankind said:
    I just let it be known that I think the US justice system is a sick joke and that I have nothing but contempt for the court.

I like this method.  

If I have every been selected, I just toss the notice. I find it curious that they never send the notice return receipt or certified mail.  If they ever contacted me regarding the notice, I would say I never received it.

Seriously have a hard time believing people can "judge" the facts completely and without biased, I have doubts about myself.  Also, watching "brain games" I am convinced eye witnesses are not iron clad.  So many people in jail that should not be there.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    pjhawks said:
    So weird having jurys made out of random people who knows nothing of the law deciding on peoples fates.

I would be too scared to say or think anything.
    why? it's actually a great system. a  jury of 12 is far less likely to be biased than 1 judge.  and you are given specific instructions on what each charge is and what is required for said charge to be guilty.  the problems in our justice system do not come from a jury system. They come from prosecutors who have a very wide leeway on who is charged and what charges are brought.  that is a much bigger issue than juries.  
    Why do you limit it to a binary choice of "the great system of 12" or "the bad system of 1 judge" ?
    Please inform us what the best system is.  We can all tell you are dying to tell us.
    He's back lol.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2019
    pjhawks said:
    So weird having jurys made out of random people who knows nothing of the law deciding on peoples fates.

why? it's actually a great system. a  jury of 12 is far less likely to be biased than 1 judge.  and you are given specific instructions on what each charge is and what is required for said charge to be guilty.  the problems in our justice system do not come from a jury system. They come from prosecutors who have a very wide leeway on who is charged and what charges are brought.  that is a much bigger issue than juries.  
    Why do you limit it to a binary choice of "the great system of 12" or "the bad system of 1 judge" ?
    Please inform us what the best system is.  We can all tell you are dying to tell us.
    Too dangerous. I got banned and is on some form of  probation because of "sarcasm". So I feel rather lawless on here and is not here to debate.
    I just asked a question to pjhawk out of curiosity. And not on AMT, but on AET.

Hope you understand. Thank you.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    "Sarcasm"
    The use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Yeah, I am not sure about the use of irony.  The rest of it fits though.

I've been called a number of times since moving to NJ, most recently earlier this year.  (State, after having been called for Federal last year.)
    I reported but was waived via phone/text the past two times.
    The previous time I went and sat for most of a day at the courthouse before being told o was excused since the juries were selected.

I am interested in doing it but it would be a pretty large difficulty with my work schedule and traveling as much as I do for work.  

Once retired I would like to be called and to try and be a fair juror.
    I think the system is fucked that most of the people are angry to be selected.  Doesn't bode well for then trying to be fair if they resent that they have to be there.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    The first time I was called up, I was down with a blown knee, broken leg and due for surgery. They excused me.

Since jury pay isn't given either by the courts or by where I work, it is not financially feasible for me to set life aside for an undetermined period of time. I'd probably fall asleep anyhow. I sleep with my eyes open, so maybe they wouldn't notice... 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Go for it on fourth and one?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    pjhawks said:

Too dangerous. I got banned and is on some form of  probation because of "sarcasm". So I feel rather lawless on here and is not here to debate.

I feel for ya man. Once person arbitrarily deciding your innocence or guilt based as much or more on their overarching viewpoint than the actual offense  If only there were a system where they randomly selected 12 fellow poster to review the incident and decide if you should be punished or not. 
  • DewieCox said:
    pjhawks said:

I feel for ya man. Once person arbitrarily deciding your innocence or guilt based as much or more on their overarching viewpoint than the actual offense  If only there were a system where they randomly selected 12 fellow poster to review the incident and decide if you should be punished or not. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    oh but we have 500 episodes of law asnd order to chose from......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    So far I’m 0 for 3.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Just tell them you can spot a guilty person just by looking at them
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Unless you are at a job that doesn't pay while you're on jury duty, why do so many want to get out of it? I would think it is fun, and something completely different than going to work. 
    And most trials are 3-4 days, very rarely are you on one for over a week. Pretty much only the celebrity/highly publicized cases. Sounds like fun, I'd be into it if I was ever allowed.
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    I've done jury duty twice and never get picked. I've ignored the notice the last few years, I get all the follow up notices saying I could be fined or jailed and then after a few of those they stop. A year later the whole process starts over again, I swear the next time I get called I'll go..unless there is a tour.
    NYPJ
    Still not picked yet.  If I don’t today, i’ll still have to come back in tomorrow.
    So I ended up not getting picked.  There was a blood drive going on in the courthouse, and anyone who wanted to participate was put into a separate juror pool.  I volunteered, however they only took 6 down at a time and went by alphabetical order.  I ended up not giving blood, because the drive ended around 3pm and when I was placed back into the standard juror pool it was almost the end of the day.  Then all of us, who weren't picked were told we didn't have to come back today. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    So I ended up not getting picked.  There was a blood drive going on in the courthouse, and anyone who wanted to participate was put into a separate juror pool.  I volunteered, however they only took 6 down at a time and went by alphabetical order.  I ended up not giving blood, because the drive ended around 3pm and when I was placed back into the standard juror pool it was almost the end of the day.  Then all of us, who weren't picked were told we didn't have to come back today. 
    So only one day there?
    Could have been worse - too bad they were not able to collect blood from all who wanted to donate, this is a valuable resource.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    So only one day there?
    Could have been worse - too bad they were not able to collect blood from all who wanted to donate, this is a valuable resource.
    I used to donate all of the time.  I have O negative.  At some point, when things are more practical in my life, I'd like to get back to doing it more regularly.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    mace1229 said:
    Unless you are at a job that doesn't pay while you're on jury duty, why do so many want to get out of it? I would think it is fun, and something completely different than going to work. 
    And most trials are 3-4 days, very rarely are you on one for over a week. Pretty much only the celebrity/highly publicized cases. Sounds like fun, I'd be into it if I was ever allowed.
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind serving on a jury as long as the case didn't go past that 3-4 day average. Last time I was called in was around the time that Dylann Roof's trial (Charleston massacre gunman) was about to start. At the time, there was some talk of moving the trial away from the SC lowcountry and placing it in Columbia where I live. I was definitely worried that was going to be the case because that one had the possibility of lasting a long time. That wound up not being the case as it stayed in Charleston. The trial, which I wasn't selected, was a case of inmate abuse by SC Corrections Officers. I didn't mind not being selected for that one either 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I was recently summoned for a big, high profile trial.  There were about 100 potential jurors to start with.  
    Had to sit there and hear excuse after excuse why people couldn't do it.  Some of them were completely ridiculous.  I actually felt bad for the judge, having to sit there and having to hear all of that bullshit.  
    I didn't want to do it, but I had no excuse not to.  They cut me during the last round.  Woohoo!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I will never serve.

I don't have any excuses; I just have scruples.

I'm not trying to get out of anything; I just vehemently oppose the whole process, and I tell the truth about how I feel to the officers of the court -- you know, how you're supposed to do.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    In all honesty, if I had made the initial cut, I wouldn't have bull shitted.  I just more wanted to start this thread as more humor than seriousness. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    In all honesty, if I had made the initial cut, I wouldn't have bull shitted.  I just more wanted to start this thread as more humor than seriousness. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA0glbG6c-8
    This weekend we rock Portland