Advice on how to get out of jury duty.

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
I have been summoned to appear on Monday (10/28) to jury duty.  Has anyone gotten out of it, and what did you do?
I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Work has a standard letter. They do not compensate us for jury duty. I always get excused.  

My husband works for the county. He has no choice but to go when called up. He went to jury selection wearing an obnoxious concert shirt. I'll see if I can find his choice. Hang on...
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Oooor, just do it.  It is an interesting process and something you are responsible for as contributing member of society.

It was one of these. I think the first one, though. 
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Oooor, just do it.  It is an interesting process and something you are responsible for as contributing member of society.
    I'm not opposed to doing it, it's just bad timing for me.  I served 3 years ago in a civil case.  Just a lot going on at home and work and it would be nice to not have to spend several days next week in court.
    Family hardship. Go and claim that. It's a real thing. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I just let it be known that I think the US justice system is a sick joke and that I have nothing but contempt for the court.

Have never been picked!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Act like you have Tourette's and keep blurting out stuff like "Judge is an asshole!", "whoop whoop guilty!" "Fry the bastard!" "Qantas never crashed"
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    See the source image
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2019
    So weird having jurys made out of random people who knows nothing of the law deciding on peoples fates.

I would be too scared to say or think anything.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    dankind said:
    I just let it be known that I think the US justice system is a sick joke and that I have nothing but contempt for the court.

Have never been picked!
    I only make eye contact with the defense.  Throw in a smile & wink and it's an immediate dismissal every time.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Claim that you have a bias against one of the parties and that you cannot be a fair and impartial juror.
    So weird having jurys made out of random people who knows nothing of the law deciding on peoples fates.

^^ This. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Being on a jury is a good (not necessarily fun, mind you, but good) experience.  We are fortunate to have a legal system with jurors rather than some of the horrid alternatives.   Unless you've already served as a juror so many times you just can't stand the thought, I would do it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited October 2019
    I'm not opposed to doing it, it's just bad timing for me.  I served 3 years ago in a civil case.  Just a lot going on at home and work and it would be nice to not have to spend several days next week in court.
    Sorry about the above- just noticed this.  If you really think the trial could go weeks, maybe just explain to the court what you've got going on.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    Being on a jury is a good (not necessarily fun, mind you, but good) experience.  We are fortunate to have a legal system with jurors rather than some of the horrid alternatives.   Unless you've already served as a juror so many times you just can't stand the thought, I would do it.
    What are these "horrid alternatives" you speak off?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    brianlux said:
    Sorry about the above- just noticed this.  If you really think the trial could go weeks, maybe just explain to the court what you've got going on.
    When they let you go, ask them if they would've done the same if you had been a person of color. That should keep the notices from showing up for longer than the customary four (or however many) years.

brianlux said:
    What are these "horrid alternatives" you speak off?
    I'm sure some alternatives are more horrid than having a dozen blue-haired retirees and camo-wearing trailer bats deciding the fates of our more discriminated against citizens, but I'm also certain that there are much better ways than this extremely dated system.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

why? it's actually a great system. a  jury of 12 is far less likely to be biased than 1 judge.  and you are given specific instructions on what each charge is and what is required for said charge to be guilty.  the problems in our justice system do not come from a jury system. They come from prosecutors who have a very wide leeway on who is charged and what charges are brought.  that is a much bigger issue than juries.  
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2019
    pjhawks said:

why? it's actually a great system. a  jury of 12 is far less likely to be biased than 1 judge.  and you are given specific instructions on what each charge is and what is required for said charge to be guilty.  the problems in our justice system do not come from a jury system. They come from prosecutors who have a very wide leeway on who is charged and what charges are brought.  that is a much bigger issue than juries.  
    Why do you limit it to a binary choice of "the great system of 12" or "the bad system of 1 judge" ?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Wouldn't recommend it...but this seems like the easiest way out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94zkBGm1IoU
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Give yourself a challenge:

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I wish I could serve. I think it would be a good experience. I always get dismissed immediately because my dad and brother are in law enforcement, so I will be one of the first the defense will dismiss every time. 
    What is annoying is I still would have to go in, waste an entire day knowing I will be dismissed in the first 5 minutes of jury selection.
    And it is even worse since I moved to Colorado. When you get your notice you don't even know if you're called until the night before. And if you're not actually called in it doesn't count, so you may have rearranged your entire schedule for something that never happens and doesnt even count as you serving. And even if you're not called you are basically on hold, have to call back in at 11 AM to see if you need to report at 1:00. Makes planning for work nearly impossible. And again, if not called in it doesn't count.
    It's a PITA in Ohio, too. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    pjhawks said:

I have always been on the 'professional juror' train.  A panel of permanent jurors who are well-versed in the legal system, court cases, mind tricks played by prosecution and defense lawyers, etc.  

As far as jury duty.  My county at least gives you the opportunity to push it back months at a time which is nice.  
    My experience, I have found just to go with it and not worry about it.  If you get picked, you get picked.  
    Land of the free, except when it comes to jury duty.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    MayDay10 said:
    pjhawks said:

I have always been on the 'professional juror' train.  A panel of permanent jurors who are well-versed in the legal system, court cases, mind tricks played by prosecution and defense lawyers, etc. 
    I concur.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • MayDay10 said:
    pjhawks said:

Yes.
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I have been summoned 6 times, and it has always resulted in a plea bargain.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    pjhawks said:

Why do you limit it to a binary choice of "the great system of 12" or "the bad system of 1 judge" ?
    Please inform us what the best system is.  We can all tell you are dying to tell us.