What book are you reading?

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    I rarely re-read books ("so many books, so little time"), but this one is proving to be WELL worth the second go-around!  One of my favorites from Henry:

Ha! I'm always re-reading books! 

Presently, I'm re-reading a new-to-me translation of this one.

Great translation so far. I must check out some of their other Dostoevsky translations.
    Dostoevsky is badass! I haven't read Demons.  Will have to give it a go.
    Hobbes said:
    Just finished Fight Club.
    Great writing but it really left me depressed.  That wasn't the kind of thing I needed- especially at that time.

Psychological Testing: Principles, Applications, and Issues (8th ed.)

I'm always game for a good adventure book, haha!

No, seriously, keep up the good work with the studies!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    Hobbes said:
    The Stranger, Albert Camus. Translated by Matthew Ward (1989).
    I read that years ago for a sociology class.  Should probably read it again since I can't remember it, lol.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hobbes said:
    The Stranger, Albert Camus. Translated by Matthew Ward (1989).
    I read that years ago for a sociology class.  Should probably read it again since I can't remember it, lol.
    Here are the Cliff Notes. 

https://youtu.be/SdbLqOXmJ04
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    I rarely re-read books ("so many books, so little time"), but this one is proving to be WELL worth the second go-around!  One of my favorites from Henry:

Ha! I'm always re-reading books! 

Presently, I'm re-reading a new-to-me translation of this one.

Great translation so far. I must check out some of their other Dostoevsky translations.
    Dostoevsky is badass! I haven't read Demons.  Will have to give it a go.
    Hobbes said:
    Just finished Fight Club.
    Great writing but it really left me depressed.  That wasn't the kind of thing I needed- especially at that time.

Psychological Testing: Principles, Applications, and Issues (8th ed.)

I'm always game for a good adventure book, haha!

No, seriously, keep up the good work with the studies!
    Thanks dude. So many chapters in this book to read for this subject. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    RIP Toni Morrison. I had to read The Bluest Eye for a literature unit at university. Was a good read.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    riotgrl said:
    Enkidu said:
    Two great books.  
    How is Midnight in Chernobyl?  It's on my to-read list but after watching the Chernobyl series on HBO I wasn't ready to dive into a book quite yet.
    I read Bad Blood recently; hell of a story.  I'm interested to see how Elizabeth Holmes fares in the court system. 
    Just checked out Midnight in Chernobyl and looking forward to reading it.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited August 2019
    I'm currently reading Jon Ronson - So you've been publically shamed. 
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    brianlux said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Yay, book form!
    Brave soul, reading all that!
    I think the size is intimidating people. It is written for the general public and it patiently develops the plot lines. I like it. I'm only on 160ish, but so far so good. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    riotgrl said:

Probably the most important book I've read in a long while.  Great look at how baked into our society racism really is and how it's not just the banks and realtors that denied people of color opportunities but the US government's role as well.  He also discusses how current segregation patterns are linked to these original abuses and the role of the 2008 housing crisis in the lives of people of color.  Very eye-opening, and in today's climate, a very necessary look at systemic racism.
    I agree.

Behind the stats fought the heroes, and I wish the trials had more coverage, but that would be a different book. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    a book on the knights templar 
    Is Dan Jones the author?
    Happy Book Lovers Day!
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653

This book is so damn good. You can learn a lot about the world, things that were never available, through what people type intonhe search bar and internet behavior in general 
    I just started reading this. I'm like 2 chapters in and it's fascinating. I've been getting into and studying data science the last 1.5-2 years, so it's cool to see real world examples like this. And kind of scary too lol
    Next to Warren Zanes' Petty, this is the best book I've read this year:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377

Hobbes said:

Great book.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    A racial satire.
    One of the funniest books I've read.
    I can't in good conscience describe any of the scenes in this book to you.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

I SAW PEARL JAM

• Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    utu book
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Revisiting this gem. Hello, old friend.

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832

One of the best. I couldn't put it down.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Malazan - Book of the Fallen 
    Book I - Gardens of the Moon

Here we go again. 

I had a brief period between the last book and Patti Smith’s new book on Tuesday. I could’ve slowed my pace on the last one, I suppose. 

Then again, the pull toward this sublime tome is difficult to resist. Ishmael has the sea; I have the book he narrates. 

Call me Daniel. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • I am finally getting to read The Boss's book. Compared to Neil's and Keith's it's perfect.
    I bought a Kindle and some Kindle books.
    Anyone here use a Kindle?
    I'm about 3/4 of the way though Alfred Lansing's Endurance; Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.   I've read many survival/ adventure type books and this is one of the most intense yet.  What those guys went through it mind blowing.  To make the mood even more perfect, we're experiencing some very unusually cool weather here for this time of year and I've been feeling really run-down and not able to get warm.  Excellent!

• Still this one. read 50 pages. 

And also:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"