The Golf Thread

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Played 9 holes by myself this morning....kinda forgot how nice it is to play by yourself.  Shot a 46 which is pretty damn good for me....no 8's which is always a nice thing!  Have really gotten into it and practiced/played quite a bit the past few weeks.  Of course I wait until the end of summer to do that.  Hoping to get a decent amount of rounds in for the fall.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I love solo golf, especially when the course is empty and I can play a couple extra balls and fly around the course.

Welp, I have played a grand total of 2.5 rounds so far this year, 2 rounds and a par 3 course and I am set to play Trump National (Philly) with my company's CEO in a little over a month.  Oh, also likely to get on Philly Cricket Club this fall.  I think I need to get to the range...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Fall/Spring golf > Summer golf

Cliff, where’s the Trump course in Philly?
    chinese-happy.jpg

Absolutely. 

Jersey. A little ways down too I think. I see signs for it on the way to the shore.  So not in Philly or even particularly close.  Not 100% sure though.
    And for the record, I hate the motherfucker, but not gonna say no to the round with someone like that
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926

Spring > Summer > Fall

There is only one reason I don’t put Fall above Summer. LEAVES! If I’m not in the fairway I hate searching for the ball in leaves. I play a lot of courses with mature trees so it can be a real pain in the ass. 
  • Rory won player of the year.  I guess we will get more Koepka has a chip on his shoulder commentary for the next 12 months.
    Rory won player of the year.  I guess we will get more Koepka has a chip on his shoulder commentary for the next 12 months.
    Fuck Koepka.

Going to be in the Outer Banks for a week starting this weekend. Hoping to golf at least three times. Anyone golfed down there before? I know there are not a ton of courses but any recommendations?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Rory won player of the year.  I guess we will get more Koepka has a chip on his shoulder commentary for the next 12 months.
    Fuck Koepka.

Going to be in the Outer Banks for a week starting this weekend. Hoping to golf at least three times. Anyone golfed down there before? I know there are not a ton of courses but any recommendations?
    Big fan of Currituck Club 
    Have played Seascape a bunch. A couple annoying blind shots and a par 3 on the water and if the wind is blowing can be absolutely brutal, but a nice course.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    Won tickets to the Drive, Chip, and Putt competition at Augusta through the ticket lottery this week.  Will be my 4th trip to Augusta but first time for the DCP competition. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    JojoRice said:
    Won tickets to the Drive, Chip, and Putt competition at Augusta through the ticket lottery this week.  Will be my 4th trip to Augusta but first time for the DCP competition. 
    That's awesome. Do you have any idea about what it's like to get tickets to that Women's Am tournament? I would go see that.

Assume you can't walk the course for DCP?
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    JojoRice said:
    That's awesome. Do you have any idea about what it's like to get tickets to that Women's Am tournament? I would go see that.

Assume you can't walk the course for DCP?
    Women's Amateur is done through lottery as well. Some friends of mine went last year and had a great time. 

Ya the DCP is only open for the range, 18th green, #1 tee, #9 green, #10 tee. Main golf shop and concessions will be open too. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    Fuck Koepka.

Have played Seascape a bunch. A couple annoying blind shots and a par 3 on the water and if the wind is blowing can be absolutely brutal, but a nice course.
    Thanks. Those are two we talked about playing.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Fuck Koepka.

I like currituck a lot more. I am not a big fan of seascape. People that I play that course with are, but I think it is annoyingly hard. Might just be that it doesn’t fit my game but I have left it annoyed on more than one occasion
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    They seem to have killed the Greenbrier by moving it.  It got a few big names in the past but by making it the first tourney of the year, no really big names this year..Grounds badges are free but the crowd looks really small. Im going tomorrow. Still a gorgeous place to walk around.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    edited September 2019
    Was out in Denver for the Bears game over the weekend.  We stayed in Frisco, CO Friday night and played some golf out in the mountains.  Most beautiful course I've ever played.  And holy shit does the ball fly out there....hit a 6 iron 250 yards on 1 hole.  It sure helps being at 9-10K feet!!

Post edited by Indifference71 on
  • Awesome photos!  J
    Was out in Denver for the Bears game over the weekend.  We stayed in Frisco, CO Friday night and played some golf out in the mountains.  Most beautiful course I've ever played.  And holy shit does the ball fly out there....hit a 6 iron 250 yards on 1 hole.  It sure helps being at 9-10K feet!!

That looks awesome.
  • I've only been to Frisco in the winter.  Good memories with the family.  Love skiing.

But I went to Telluride in 2016 and that was the first time in COlorado in the summer.  It blew me away.

Fuck Koepka.

I like currituck a lot more. I am not a big fan of seascape. People that I play that course with are, but I think it is annoyingly hard. Might just be that it doesn’t fit my game but I have left it annoyed on more than one occasion
    Ended up playing Currituck, Seascape and the Carolina Club. Currituck is definitely the best. Carolina Club is nice too. Pretty wide open course. Seascape only had the back 9 open so didn't really get the full experience there. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    here’s where I work my little retirement job...

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    here’s where I work my little retirement job...

I keep telling my dad to get a job at a golf course. 

How often do you play?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Anyone in the Philly area, this week is the Crump Cup at Pine Valley.  They open the doors on Sunday to the public for the final match.  It is realistically your only chance to see the course. I have done it twice and it is absolutely glorious.  Not sure I am going to make it Sunday, but trying to. Highly highly recommended.  You park at Clementon Park for $20, hop on a school bus, stand around for a little while until the gates open, then get in right as they are about to tee off.  They say no phones, but you can sneak a photo or two here and there.  The pro shop is not open, though you shouldn't really be buying/wearing Pine Valley gear unless you play it (I have a hat from a neighbor who's son is a caddie there, but never really wear it).  It is an awesome walk. Highly highly recommended

A local guy is towards the top of the board after the first day too.
    Fuck Koepka.

Ended up playing Currituck, Seascape and the Carolina Club. Currituck is definitely the best. Carolina Club is nice too. Pretty wide open course. Seascape only had the back 9 open so didn't really get the full experience there. 
    Did you get wind blowing on that par 3? I hate that fucker
    Fuck Koepka.

17 right? First time through I fucking smoked a 5 iron 20 feet from the cup. Second time the wind caught it and I was about 20 yards short. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Anyone in the Philly area, this week is the Crump Cup at Pine Valley.  They open the doors on Sunday to the public for the final match.  It is realistically your only chance to see the course. I have done it twice and it is absolutely glorious.  Not sure I am going to make it Sunday, but trying to. Highly highly recommended.  You park at Clementon Park for $20, hop on a school bus, stand around for a little while until the gates open, then get in right as they are about to tee off.  They say no phones, but you can sneak a photo or two here and there.  The pro shop is not open, though you shouldn't really be buying/wearing Pine Valley gear unless you play it (I have a hat from a neighbor who's son is a caddie there, but never really wear it).  It is an awesome walk. Highly highly recommended

Isn't that a Trump course?
    chinese-happy.jpg

The Trump Course is real close and used to have a similar name before he bought it.  That's the one I am playing in a couple weeks.

Pine Valley is the number 1 rated course in the US and one of the best in the world.  It is amazing. 

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/10258143/pine-valley-golf-club-tops-golf-digest-rankings-world-top-100-courses

https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/americas-100-greatest-golf-courses-ranking

The Trump Course is real close and used to have a similar name before he bought it.  That's the one I am playing in a couple weeks.

Pine Valley is the number 1 rated course in the US and one of the best in the world.  It is amazing. 

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/10258143/pine-valley-golf-club-tops-golf-digest-rankings-world-top-100-courses

Oh that's right. Trump's is in Pine HILL. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    Fuck Koepka.

17 right? First time through I fucking smoked a 5 iron 20 feet from the cup. Second time the wind caught it and I was about 20 yards short. 
    Yeah, 17 sounds right. Every time I am there i am pretty much dead into the wind and it always messes up anything I was doing.

Oh that's right. Trump's is in Pine HILL. 

Yeah, that sounds right.  Pine Valley is everything it's cracked up to be. Sunday is a highly recommended experience.