8:46 am on a tuesday

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Renfield said:
    Sitting here for the past 2 hours having coffee, remembering that morning. By the time I got up to our roof deck (I still live in the same building), the Towers had collapsed. My brain couldn’t connect the image of the huge plume of smoke vs. the actual Towers as I had seen them each & every day for the previous 20 years. 
    crazy....I can't imagine what it would have been like to live there

I was in my office listening to a local morning radio show.  They broke the news about a plane hitting the tower but at that point everyone was guessing it was just a small plane.  Then, as details started to come out, the second plane hit.  I'll never forget the radio host saying something like "another plane hit...this is obviously not an accident".  Then i turned on the TV.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Just taught 9/11 to my first period class and even though it has been 18 years it doesn't get any easier.   I can not watch the towers coming down, I have to look away.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just taught 9/11 to my first period class and even though it has been 18 years it doesn't get any easier.   I can not watch the towers coming down, I have to look away.
    there is no way I could teach about that day. just don't think i could get the words out right or keep from crying if i tried.  it's so strange to me that it's already been 18 years.  freshmen in college are the last ones born before this happened. it is kind of crazy that there are kids in high school who weren't even born when this happened.  time has gone by so damn fast

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    there is no way I could teach about that day. just don't think i could get the words out right or keep from crying if i tried.  it's so strange to me that it's already been 18 years.  freshmen in college are the last ones born before this happened. it is kind of crazy that there are kids in high school who weren't even born when this happened.  time has gone by so damn fast

Last year at this time, I asked the girl who buses tables at wing night if she knew anything about 9/11.  She said "Not really, they taught us a little bit about it in school every year on the day, but that was it."  It's crazy knowing there are functioning high school & college kids who have little to no clue about this day, let alone it's significance.
    Rest in Peace to all those fallen.  A big thank you to Jon Stewart for his emotional speech regarding the Victim's Compensation Fund.  Thank you to Congress for listening and extending the program. We still need to do better.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Last year at this time, I asked the girl who buses tables at wing night if she knew anything about 9/11.  She said "Not really, they taught us a little bit about it in school every year on the day, but that was it."  It's crazy knowing there are functioning high school & college kids who have little to no clue about this day, let alone it's significance.
    Rest in Peace to all those fallen.  A big thank you to Jon Stewart for his emotional speech regarding the Victim's Compensation Fund.  Thank you to Congress for listening and extending the program. We still need to do better.
    it's sickening that JS had to even do that in the first place, but at least they went along with it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Not to sound crass but did you have any emotional attachment to Iwo Jima?  D-Day? The Enola Gay?

It's the same for these kids now as they have no emotional attachment.  

I never thought that our generation would have a moment like that.  I'm hoping future generations don't have to have one either.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Not to sound crass but did you have any emotional attachment to Iwo Jima?  D-Day? The Enola Gay?

I never thought that our generation would have a moment like that.  I'm hoping future generations don't have to have one either.
    Oh I know.  Mine would have been the Vietman War, I guess (born in '77).  I was just thinking it's crazy that it's already been that long ago that we've gotten to grown kids/young adults not knowing about it.  It just doesn't seem that long ago.
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

it's our generations Kennedy assassination. agree hoping future generations don't have days like those.
  • pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Oh I know.  Mine would have been the Vietman War, I guess (born in '77).  I was just thinking it's crazy that it's already been that long ago that we've gotten to grown kids/young adults not knowing about it.  It just doesn't seem that long ago.
    Vietnam war was looked at as a war we lost, Invading Iraq also didn't have any consequences to us.

Yes it is eerie that there are kids that don't understand the ramifications of that day.
  • Remember my director telling us make sure we have plenty of disposables , surgical gowns , sutures , etc etc for the incoming injured none ever came ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I wonder if Iraq and Afghanistan have a day where they can mourn the millions killed by the US following 9/11.  You can knock off the "woe is me" anytime...what America did post 9/11 was disgusting.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • I wonder if Iraq and Afghanistan have a day where they can mourn the millions killed by the US following 9/11.  You can knock off the "woe is me" anytime...what America did post 9/11 was disgusting.
    I totally agree ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited September 2019
    I wonder if Iraq and Afghanistan have a day where they can mourn the millions killed by the US following 9/11.  You can knock off the "woe is me" anytime...what America did post 9/11 was disgusting.
    Why on this day would you bring this up?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    And that means we can’t mourn the thousands murdered?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mace1229 said:
    No!  Hush with that nonsense, mace.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The truth hurts.  Navy seals could have found bin laden with minimal loss of life.  If was so damn. important to some of you, why did you not leave your cushy life and join the fight?  Likely not, but sending kids to die in a bullshit war is OK.  At least after Pearl Harbour people left their cushy jobs to join the fight, and those that could not, sacrifice in some way back home.

While the US was bombing the shit out of 2 countries most of you were leading nice comfortable lives.  None of you's sacrificed much is my bet.  But hey, at least 1 a year you remember...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Remember my director telling us make sure we have plenty of disposables , surgical gowns , sutures , etc etc for the incoming injured none ever came ...
    Once we gathered our thoughts, we decided to go and donate blood, so we walked over to St Vincent’s Hospital. It was mobbed with others like us wanting to help (everyone just wanting to do something/anything). 
    They had set up portable gurneys all around the perimeter of the hospital in preparation of triage. We were turned away, being told they had enough donors. Didn’t seem that they were aware yet that no one was going to be arriving.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    hedonist said:
    mace1229 said:
    No!  Hush with that nonsense, mace.
    That’s really what it sounded like to me.
    edited September 2019
    The truth hurts.  Navy seals could have found bin laden with minimal loss of life.  If was so damn. important to some of you, why did you not leave your cushy life and join the fight?  Likely not, but sending kids to die in a bullshit war is OK.  At least after Pearl Harbour people left their cushy jobs to join the fight, and those that could not, sacrifice in some way back home.

While the US was bombing the shit out of 2 countries most of you were leading nice comfortable lives.  None of you's sacrificed much is my bet.  But hey, at least 1 a year you remember...
    Classless post.  This is as clean as I can make my point to you without getting banned
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517

Sadly, it was a blood thirsty time.  You were very unpopular if you were against war or dared speak ill of our dufus president.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    pjhawks said:

Classless post.  This is as clean as I can make my point to you without getting banned
    Yup.  Personally, I'm thankful for the "save draft" feature.

mace, right on.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Bay of Pigs
    JFK
    RFK
    MLK
    Vietnam
    Love Canal
    Space Shuttle Challenger
    Exxon Valdez
    Chernobyl
    Bhopal
    Kuwaiti Oil Fires
    Irag
    Afghanistan
    9/11
    Deepwater Horizon
    Fukushima

I remember them all, each as horrible in their own way.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    brianlux said:
    Bay of Pigs
    JFK
    RFK
    MLK
    Vietnam
    Love Canal
    Space Shuttle Challenger
    Exxon Valdez
    Chernobyl
    Bhopal
    Kuwaiti Oil Fires
    Irag
    Afghanistan
    9/11
    Deepwater Horizon
    Fukushima

I remember them all, each as horrible in their own way.

November 8, 2016
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    pjhawks said:

Just what we should expect from this person.  

Not a good person - this is yet another thread where this is made obvious.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Remember that day very vividly.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

Is it too hard for you to show some respect on a thread about 9/11 at least? The people who died had no control over what happened after, and they’re the ones this thread is about. Amazing to me that a person who was alive and on this continent on that day could show such insensitivity.

Maybe start another thread and spew your angry and apathetic monologues there next time.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    18 years ago, where did time go?
    Makes me feel old being a mature age university student surrounded by students who don't remember that day as they were too young.

I'll never forget. I was in year 11 at high school but home that day because I had a cold. I was lying in bed in the morning and all I could hear coming from the television in the living room was "America under attack".
    I was thinking and imagining some foreign military has started bombing America.
    I got out of bed to investigate and thought it was a movie on the television. Truly horrifying.

Boy how I miss those days before 9/11.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited September 2019

this is disgusting. this about remembering the fallen, not a political discussion of what came after. we or most are all well aware of the injustices that happened as a result of this day, but this is the not the place for this bullshit. 

jesus, dude, you ramble on and on complaining about the toxicity of the internet like you're some kind of fucking victim. look in the mirror, dude. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD