2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    I'd prefer arenas, but I'd still goto ballparks in a heartbeat.  
  • Oh man... so it is Asia, Australia, and South Africa? I saw the numbers 6-1-6 in his post and assumed Dimi meant the area code 616, which is Grand Rapids, MI. Van Andel has been bringing in some big acts lately.

Perhaps a compromise...baseball stadiums with retractable roofs? 
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    Oh man... so it is Asia, Australia, and South Africa? 
    I didn't read it that way at all.  To me, it read as a hint of ballparks.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Oh man... so it is Asia, Australia, and South Africa? I saw the numbers 6-1-6 in his post and assumed Dimi meant the area code 616, which is Grand Rapids, MI. Van Andel has been bringing in some big acts lately.

HOUSTON TEXAS
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    pjhawks said:

Yes.  did you see Green Day's tour they just announced?  any of those cities you don't think PJ sells? maybe Texas but even that I think they would do ok.

that being said yes bring them back indoors.
    Yeah, but that is with 4 bands on the bill, with Fall Out Boy appealing to the 30 year olds, so it does get a little bit of a different demographic appeal. 

I'm shocked that Ed Sheeran played stadiums last year with his coffee shop style of music, but at least he's current and plays pop music.

Either way, I'm going to try to hit a few shows for my 40th year on the planet.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Oh man... so it is Asia, Australia, and South Africa? I saw the numbers 6-1-6 in his post and assumed Dimi meant the area code 616, which is Grand Rapids, MI. Van Andel has been bringing in some big acts lately.

if pj was gonna go to australia,asia and south africa,trust me i would start the party already...when u see me post a kangaroo means its locked...i wish i could do that..
    as i said..fuckin election year..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    God I hope it's not Vote For Change. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Oh man... so it is Asia, Australia, and South Africa? I saw the numbers 6-1-6 in his post and assumed Dimi meant the area code 616, which is Grand Rapids, MI. Van Andel has been bringing in some big acts lately.

if pj was gonna go to australia,asia and south africa,trust me i would start the party already...when u see me post a kangaroo means its locked...i wish i could do that..
    as i said..fuckin election year..
    Just give me nyc, philly and one place i haven't seen them.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    hihobibo said:
    pjhawks said:

Yes.  did you see Green Day's tour they just announced?  any of those cities you don't think PJ sells? maybe Texas but even that I think they would do ok.

that being said yes bring them back indoors.
    Yeah, but that is with 4 bands on the bill, with Fall Out Boy appealing to the 30 year olds, so it does get a little bit of a different demographic appeal. 

I'm shocked that Ed Sheeran played stadiums last year with his coffee shop style of music, but at least he's current and plays pop music.

Either way, I'm going to try to hit a few shows for my 40th year on the planet.
    I have no idea what Ed Sheeran does, but that was the largest grossing tour in history. $750M gross.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Vedd Hedd said:
    JimmyV said:
    Noload said:
    JimmyV said:
    Meh. States that can't get their shit together well enough not to vote for Trump shouldn't be rewarded. 
    They have fans that didn't vote for Trump in every state. If they want to screen their destinations based on red/blue, that's their choice obviously, but I give them more credit than to make that the litmus for show locations.  
    I don't disagree at all. I guess I should have said, "States that can't get their shit together well enough not to vote for Trump shouldn't be rewarded because of that."

The band is going to play where the band is going to play, and I doubt red/blue is really much of a consideration. 

The country has changed drastically since 2013/14 (the last full tour) and I wonder if progressives like some in this band are starting to feel honestly uncomfortable in solid red states. For example open carry laws do make some of us blue staters VERY uncomfortable. 

(BTW the above comment is not about politics)
    The last time I saw a show in Nashville (2003), there was a delay in getting into the venue. I asked a cop if he knew why there was a delay, and the guy said, "Well that sonofabitch singer was killing a doll of the president on stage during his last show, so now there is a bomb threat."

As much as some might dislike the other side, we should always be respectful in our protest, whether or not we get any respect from Mr. Trump. I'm hoping if any on stage protests - would keep that in mind.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    all the people wanting no more ballpark shows are forgetting how hard it can be to get tickets for this band in smaller venues. believe me, I don't want ballpark shows either, but if it's the only way I get to see them, so be it. 
    I would rather just not see them. Not enough upside. 

That's my view. I skipped the Home shows right in my backyard. I have less than ZERO interest in ballpark/stadium shows. Arenas and amphitheaters or bust for me.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    I don't care where they play. I will never skip a Boston show again. Too few days ahead to get torn up over the venue.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I can't imagine skipping a show of my favourite band (or one of my favourites) just because of the venue. Especially if there was no travel involved. But I have only seen them 5 times in 30 years. maybe that's the difference?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    I can't imagine skipping a show of my favourite band (or one of my favourites) just because of the venue. Especially if there was no travel involved. But I have only seen them 5 times in 30 years. maybe that's the difference?
    I've seen them over 40 times, and as I approach that age I simply have less and less desire to be crammed into a stadium with 50,000 people. Not to mention other issues with these shows that have already been mentioned. I also feel that the shows just aren't as good as they used to be when I traveled the country following a tour.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    JimmyV said:
    I don't care where they play. I will never skip a Boston show again. Too few days ahead to get torn up over the venue.
    Exactly. Imagine being so bitter about the venue that anyone would skip a show in their own city. Wrigley is a dump, but if they play there, I'll be there.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I do think that is a significant difference

If there was no travel, I would go.  There isn't really a venue nearby that fits this trend, other than maybe the Rogers Centre or whatever it is called now.  That is an hour away, I would possibly go.
  • jefftjefft Posts: 649
    MayDay10 said:0
    I do think that is a significant difference

If there was no travel, I would go.  There isn't really a venue nearby that fits this trend, other than maybe the Rogers Centre or whatever it is called now.  That is an hour away, I would possibly go.
    Roger's center 2 night stand in the summer would be awesome, especially with the roof open.
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    Yeah, I'm 90 miles or so from Fenway and wouldn't miss it.  But if they were playing a stadium in NY or Philly?  Highly unlikely I'd travel for that.  
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    JimmyV said:
    Boston was an incredible experience, I don't get all the complaining. We've all seen that video from outside Fenway right?
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
    Yeah, I'm 90 miles or so from Fenway and wouldn't miss it.  But if they were playing a stadium in NY or Philly?  Highly unlikely I'd travel for that.  
    Agreed. We did Seattle last year and Wrigley in 2013, but both of those were events. NY and Philly don't appeal to me.

Mike D88 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Boston was an incredible experience, I don't get all the complaining. We've all seen that video from outside Fenway right?
    I really don't either. But...to each their own. 

• I've a feeling Europe will be skipped.  Will have to travel.

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Yeah, I know I've been privileged and lucky to have seen them a bunch of times, and maybe why I'm a little picky these days. I'm older and have less patience for hordes of idiots, so the bigger the venue the less thrilled I am. I also have seen them at amazing venues like the Showbox, Gorge and Benaroya, so at this point an arena is the largest place I can imagine wanting to see them. I also don't get the thrill I used to out of seeing them, probably a combination of me changing, and the performances being different. Add to that the risk of paying hundreds of dollars for obstructed views half a mile away from the stage, and there is very little to tempt me to hit up a ballpark show. Pearl Jam is still one of the best live acts out there, but stadiums/ballparks just don't have any draw for me no matter who is playing.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    NewJPage said:
    If it's stadiums I might voluntarily skip a tour for the first time since I started going to pj shows in 98. Do not have much desire to do the Wrigley thing AGAIN. 
    I would really be disappointed if it's just the stadium/ballpark tour again.

Give us a good album.
    Give us a real tour. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541
    I have been to all four Fenway shows, the original Wrigley show, the home shows and Missoula last summer.  Hands down, Fenway knows how to put on a show, easy to get in and out of, lines are reasonable etc. I can understand folks not being happy with obstructed view seats, I have been fortunate to always be on the field.

Wrigley 13 was fun and special, but I wouldn't travel for it again unless it was the only show that year.  Safeco was my first trip to Seattle and we had a blast, the shows were great but I don't think we would go back for another stadium show.  They have a lot of bugs to work out if they are going to continue to host shows.  Missoula was an awesome town to visit and experience, but again, not sure I would travel back for a stadium show.  

Stadium shows are definitely better than none.  I have seen the band 50 times, its hard to believe that 1 out of every 6ish of those shows have been in a stadium.  I really miss the sheds.    
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    jeffbr said:
    Yeah, I know I've been privileged and lucky to have seen them a bunch of times, and maybe why I'm a little picky these days. I'm older and have less patience for hordes of idiots, so the bigger the venue the less thrilled I am. I also have seen them at amazing venues like the Showbox, Gorge and Benaroya, so at this point an arena is the largest place I can imagine wanting to see them. I also don't get the thrill I used to out of seeing them, probably a combination of me changing, and the performances being different. Add to that the risk of paying hundreds of dollars for obstructed views half a mile away from the stage, and there is very little to tempt me to hit up a ballpark show. Pearl Jam is still one of the best live acts out there, but stadiums/ballparks just don't have any draw for me no matter who is playing.
    wow, that is incredible. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 204
    I was at both Fenway shows last year, and while they were good shows, the curfew really made it tough. It didn't help that they didn't come on stage either night until almost 8pm, so songs had to be cut out of the setlist to make the 10:30pm curfew. The sound was great, but for the curfew alone, I'd prefer an arena over Fenway anyday.
    NDJeff7 said:
    I was at both Fenway shows last year, and while they were good shows, the curfew really made it tough. It didn't help that they didn't come on stage either night until almost 8pm, so songs had to be cut out of the setlist to make the 10:30pm curfew. The sound was great, but for the curfew alone, I'd prefer an arena over Fenway anyday.
    Fair, although the band could have and should have gone on earlier. 

• NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 204
    JimmyV said:
    NDJeff7 said:
    Agreed, the ticket said 6:30 but I figured it would be around 7:15/7:30 before they actually went on. The crowd was getting pretty restless when it got close to 8, knowing that they'd be done by 10:30.

I think I'm just slightly bitter that Sonic Reducer got scratched and it's been on my bucket list for 25 years to see live :)
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    JimmyV said:
    NDJeff7 said:
    I was at a Springsteen show in the suburbs of Prague at a football stadium that had a hard 10pm curfew. We wandered out on stage at 6:30pm and played a 30 minute acoustic set as a warm up.