2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Vedd Hedd said:
    JimmyV said:
    Noload said:
    JimmyV said:
    Meh. States that can't get their shit together well enough not to vote for Trump shouldn't be rewarded. 
    They have fans that didn't vote for Trump in every state. If they want to screen their destinations based on red/blue, that's their choice obviously, but I give them more credit than to make that the litmus for show locations.  
    I don't disagree at all. I guess I should have said, "States that can't get their shit together well enough not to vote for Trump shouldn't be rewarded because of that."

The band is going to play where the band is going to play, and I doubt red/blue is really much of a consideration. 

The country has changed drastically since 2013/14 (the last full tour) and I wonder if progressives like some in this band are starting to feel honestly uncomfortable in solid red states. For example open carry laws do make some of us blue staters VERY uncomfortable. 

(BTW the above comment is not about politics)
    The last time I saw a show in Nashville (2003), there was a delay in getting into the venue. I asked a cop if he knew why there was a delay, and the guy said, "Well that sonofabitch singer was killing a doll of the president on stage during his last show, so now there is a bomb threat."

SMH

Good thing everything is so much better now. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • BigrfishBigrfish Edmonton, AB Canada Posts: 260
    Prague 2018 was phenomenal in part that it was an arena.  Even though a big place it still has a much better atmosphere than a stadium.  
    Absolutely! That was my first ever PJ show after 27 frickin' years...and it was mindblowing. I never thought that an arena show could be intimate, but Prague 2018 pulled it off.
    As much as I like travelling for gigs, I shure hope they'll do the Nordic countries on the next Euro tour...they completely got overseen in 2018.
    28 years between shows for me. Not Prague.. but we did Krakow, and participated in an amazing show at Tauron arena.. Berlin was pretty cool for an outdoor show as well.
  • BigrfishBigrfish Edmonton, AB Canada Posts: 260
    On board for some Western Canada dates
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    JimmyV said:
    Noload said:
    JimmyV said:
    Meh. States that can't get their shit together well enough not to vote for Trump shouldn't be rewarded. 
    They have fans that didn't vote for Trump in every state. If they want to screen their destinations based on red/blue, that's their choice obviously, but I give them more credit than to make that the litmus for show locations.  
    I don't disagree at all. I guess I should have said, "States that can't get their shit together well enough not to vote for Trump shouldn't be rewarded because of that."

The band is going to play where the band is going to play, and I doubt red/blue is really much of a consideration. 

The country has changed drastically since 2013/14 (the last full tour) and I wonder if progressives like some in this band are starting to feel honestly uncomfortable in solid red states. For example open carry laws do make some of us blue staters VERY uncomfortable. 

That will leave 4 states plus DC they can play if they make it by that standard.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Mike D88 said:
    I'm not white enough to leave the country and guarantee I can get back in.
    Same here. I actually was harassed by CBP in 2018 when I got back from shows in Barcelona/London/Italy.  I'd prefer to not go through that again.
    I’m so sorry you endured this.  Very sad.
    Thank you. It's important that people know this is happening. I was born here to legal parents and even have Global Entry/pre-check--didnt matter. Only suspicion was that I'm brown. We're at their mercy. 

Narrow minded people don’t even realize that we all came from Africa. Nothing more satisfying than telling a room full of racists they’re actually black when you explain the migration of humans. 
    There are a lot of us out there who know what’s happening and care. I just don’t know if or when it will change because it seems to get worse.
    Well said cock block 4 life.
    Hmmmm....please don't think I'm a jag-off but our definition of "c block" is actually where inmates convicted of murder are housed in PA.  My husband is a retired correctional officer who always worked c block....perhaps we need to change it but it did make me laugh!

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    edited September 2019
    Don't think I would go to a ballpark show unless it was in my hometown.  In that case, I'll take what I can get in Minnesota.  

From what I've heard there's always been a standing offer at Target Field. Target was a sponsor for Backspacer, Eddie is a Twins fan, there's a play MN thread on the board that has almost 11,000 replies, the first date sold out on the 2014 midwest tour was St. Paul, the event would pull from across the midwest and be a welcomed change up from the wrigley rut.  There are my reasons. :-)
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Vedd Hedd said:
    JimmyV said:
    Noload said:
    JimmyV said:

The last time I saw a show in Nashville (2003), there was a delay in getting into the venue. I asked a cop if he knew why there was a delay, and the guy said, "Well that sonofabitch singer was killing a doll of the president on stage during his last show, so now there is a bomb threat."

Went to Pilgrimage in Franklin TN for EV solo (came on stage and he knelt).  When he did speak politics there was noticeable silence with some departing at that point.  So I guess things haven't changed much since 2003.  Nevertheless it was a great festival.  

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Don't think I would go to a ballpark show unless it was in my hometown.  In that case, I'll take what I can get in Minnesota.  

From what I've heard there's always been a standing offer at Target Field. Target was a sponsor for Backspacer, Eddie is a Twins fan, there's a play MN thread on the board that has almost 11,000 replies, the first date sold out on the 2014 midwest tour was St. Paul, the event would pull from across the midwest and be a welcomed change up from the wrigley rut.  There are my reasons. :-)
    I was at that St Paul show. was an great one. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Don't think I would go to a ballpark show unless it was in my hometown.  In that case, I'll take what I can get in Minnesota.  

Do you do the merch thing, standing in line etc.?

Has anyone ever noticed the white van that travels everywhere and stalks the Merch trailer till it opens....crazy stuff happened at that concert.  
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    Vedd Hedd said:
    JimmyV said:
    Noload said:
    JimmyV said:

Went to Pilgrimage in Franklin TN for EV solo (came on stage and he knelt).  When he did speak politics there was noticeable silence with some departing at that point.  So I guess things haven't changed much since 2003.  Nevertheless it was a great festival.  

'Wait, this guy isnt conservative?  Since when?  We are outta here."

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622

Except for that momentum killing, rambling 10 minute speech from a doctor mid set. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited September 2019
    PJNB said:
    My guess is 2020 Australia before or after USA. 2021 gets SA in the spring. Euro in the summer and mid west somewheres in there too. Maybe late fall after baseball playoffs. 
    Sounds to ambitious. 

My guess is: Australia (maybe a short stint in asia) and US in 2020. 

South America and Europe in 2021

EDIT: read your post wrong. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 646
    MayDay10 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    Never understood the hate for ballpark shows. Everyone involved has a great time and there are always plenty of surprises. Not to mention the city overrun with more PJ fans than you’d typically see. They’ll be plenty of options next year but stadiums every couple of years is a niche this band thrives in.
    I am a mile and a half away and the sound quality is diminished, if not distorted at times.  Unless I go into a giant GA pit with all sorts of competition for personal space.  The whole scene is very open-air and the very opposite of 'intimate'.  From a $200? seat last year, I couldn't even see Mike 70% of the time as he was blocked by the rigging/stage, and couldnt see the drum kit at all.  Had to watch on the screen for the most part. 

The venues themselves (like Wrigley) arent designed for that many humans.  Everything is packed and uncomfortable, whether its the streets around the stadium, gates to get in, or the concourses.  

The weather uncertainty, with the urgency of lots of $$$ spent for travel.

The merch conventions blown up.  4-6 posters for the show(s).  I realize we get this with more conventional shows, but with these ballpark shows the merch thing is injected with roids.  

And yes, a Pearl Jam concert is still a concert.  But for me, to take multiple days off of work, pay money for flights, beg parents or in-laws to watch the kids for a few days, board the dog, pay for hotel room, etc, the ballpark show is not enough of a payoff of a concert experience.  There is a lot of alternative things I would rather do with that currency than see a ballpark show.  
    100% agree
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    jdopj said:
    MayDay10 said:
    100 Pacer said:
    Never understood the hate for ballpark shows. Everyone involved has a great time and there are always plenty of surprises. Not to mention the city overrun with more PJ fans than you’d typically see. They’ll be plenty of options next year but stadiums every couple of years is a niche this band thrives in.
    I am a mile and a half away and the sound quality is diminished, if not distorted at times.  Unless I go into a giant GA pit with all sorts of competition for personal space.  The whole scene is very open-air and the very opposite of 'intimate'.  From a $200? seat last year, I couldn't even see Mike 70% of the time as he was blocked by the rigging/stage, and couldnt see the drum kit at all.  Had to watch on the screen for the most part. 

The venues themselves (like Wrigley) arent designed for that many humans.  Everything is packed and uncomfortable, whether its the streets around the stadium, gates to get in, or the concourses.  

The merch conventions blown up.  4-6 posters for the show(s).  I realize we get this with more conventional shows, but with these ballpark shows the merch thing is injected with roids.  

And yes, a Pearl Jam concert is still a concert.  But for me, to take multiple days off of work, pay money for flights, beg parents or in-laws to watch the kids for a few days, board the dog, pay for hotel room, etc, the ballpark show is not enough of a payoff of a concert experience.  There is a lot of alternative things I would rather do with that currency than see a ballpark show.  
    100% agree
    +2. A local show sure but I will never travel for a pj ballpark concert again. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Do you do the merch thing, standing in line etc.?

Has anyone ever noticed the white van that travels everywhere and stalks the Merch trailer till it opens....crazy stuff happened at that concert.  
    no, wife and i saw the ridiculous line and decided to leave and see the sights. don't regret it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    Will go out a limb and say 6-10 stadium shows, 2-4 festivals anchoring 18-24 arena (amphitheatre shows what???) In 2020 so I will say a total of...32 shows in 2020. Hold me to this..that's a big touring year with a Nov/Dec 2019 album release. It's no risk at this point. 
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    If it's stadiums I might voluntarily skip a tour for the first time since I started going to pj shows in 98. Do not have much desire to do the Wrigley thing AGAIN. 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    mcgruff10 said:
    jdopj said:
    MayDay10 said:
    100 Pacer said:

100% agree
    +2. A local show sure but I will never travel for a pj ballpark concert again. 
    I think i'm right ther with you guys. I'll go if it's close to home, but travel days are probably over for a Ball Park show. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    I don’t think Chicago, Boston or Seattle will see non-baseball Park shows for a very long time

Theyre just too easy, too profitable, and they’re marketing gold

There will surely be arenas mixed in for smaller cities, but I think those 3 cities are essentially Ballpark or none.  I could also see the ballparks expanding to NYC and Philly, although I do think NYC is less likely as MSG is iconic in its own way. 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    If they keep going for ball park shows, places like Portland and Vancouver are in trouble. Bummer.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943

rummy said:
    If they keep going for ball park shows, places like Portland and Vancouver are in trouble. Bummer.
    Maybe.  It depends on the size of the tour.  If the tours small then yah, I think we're in trouble.  They'd most likely continue to focus on bigger markets with bigger venues they can sell out.

If they do a bigger tour to support a new album, I could see it be a mix of Stadiums and Arenas.    I think PJ's popularity is hard to judge because of how few shows they play.  So many people travel just to see them. The more dates they play, the less people have to travel, and the less demand there could be for some markets. 

It makes sense to play Stadiums in the big markets and maybe the home shows.   If they're going to play more than the mega big cities then they'll have to mix in Arenas.

PJ rarely ignores Vancouver anyways, as it's so close to Seattle.  '98,'00,'03,'05,'09,'11,'13, and Pemberton in '16. 
    The thing about the ballparks - particularly Fenway and Wrigley - is that they are in demand. A lot of bands want those paydays and there are only so many slots in the MLB calendar for concerts. Pearl Jam can't just decide to play these places every year or every other year. The venues need to want them over whoever else.

• CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    At least at the ballparks, virtually every 10club member that wanted a ticket got one, excluding the few that wanted GA only. Opting not to go to a stadium is still your option. Putting in for multiple shows and getting shutout sucks.  In a lot of smaller venues, it seems Pearl Jam is losing the fight to guarantee us the best seats. With the ballparks, they can offer a ton more to us. 
  • Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,541
    CW55354 said:
    At least at the ballparks, virtually every 10club member that wanted a ticket got one, excluding the few that wanted GA only. Opting not to go to a stadium is still your option. Putting in for multiple shows and getting shutout sucks.  In a lot of smaller venues, it seems Pearl Jam is losing the fight to guarantee us the best seats. With the ballparks, they can offer a ton more to us. 
    Good point
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    CW55354 said:
    True but some of the 10c seats were really really far away from the stage.  Bring back arenas and amphitheaters.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    The thing about the ballpark is you have to resign yourself that unless you're in the front middle section, you're going to be looking at screens all night (or an obstructed view, lol). There's just not a lot of good views.  I've never had issue with the sound in the 4 that I've been to, but I've also been on the field 3 times and the RF roof deck the other.  And as CW55354 said, chances of getting a ticket are very good. With arenas, not as much. 

Arenas, though, you can be in the balcony and still feel like it's rather intimate, in a way.  I'd like to go back to that this time around.   
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    mcgruff10 said:
    CW55354 said:
    True but some of the 10c seats were really really far away from the stage.  Bring back arenas and amphitheaters.
    Agreed.  Just do a real tour like most bands do.   Don't necessarily need to play 60-70 shows like 1998, 2000 and 2003, but even you know, 20-25 summer dates at sheds would be a nice change of pace.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

Sheds in the sticks are a pain in the ass, but a few dozen summer dates no matter where they are would be the best case scenario for 2020. IMO. 

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    JimmyV said:
    The thing about the ballparks - particularly Fenway and Wrigley - is that they are in demand. A lot of bands want those paydays and there are only so many slots in the MLB calendar for concerts. Pearl Jam can't just decide to play these places every year or every other year. The venues need to want them over whoever else.
    In Wrigley’s case, they do want them over anyone else. Ed is tight with the whole organization. I suspect he gets first dibs. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mcgruff10 said:
    CW55354 said:
    Yep. Maybe if we say it enough times it will come true.