8:46 am on a tuesday

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I recall walking up 5th Avenue a few hours after the attack (normally packed with cars and commercial traffic) and it was so empty, could have played street hockey.
    I was walking down 1st Avenue very late that night and there wasn't a car to be seen. It was shockingly eerie.
    Occasionally we saw black vans driving slowly around the blocks. We assumed they were government.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    edited September 2018
    JC29856 said:
    I know this will make many on here feel good given their newfound affection for Dubs
    "My pet baseball"
    Yankees go on to lose the World Series only winning one since. 

Not much heat on it but right down the middle of the plate.  I'd love to have had a swat at that pitch!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Another great NY baseball moment...

https://youtu.be/hQhH6yZ8lxw
  • mickeyrat said:
    First responders still dying from job caused illness with little support from their government
    I also wonder how many regular people are suffering from those same illnesses from being in that area.

I unfortunately know a handful of people whom lost their lives that day.  I also know a handful of people that lost their lives years after.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    I know this will make many on here feel good given their newfound affection for Dubs
    "My pet baseball"
    Yankees go on to lose the World Series only winning one since. 

Not much heat on it but right down the middle of the plate.  I'd love to have had a swat at that pitch!
    Same here! I would try to Norm Charlton him.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited September 2018
    unsung said:
    Another great NY baseball moment...

https://youtu.be/hQhH6yZ8lxw
    great? Great was 47 working the fork
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I wish the yankees or mets would have won the world series that year; it would have meant so much for the city.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    I wish the yankees or mets would have won the world series that year; it would have meant so much for the city.  
    Heck yeah.  Good call.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Heck yeah.  Good call.
    Funny i remember havin the same sentiment i asked a Mets fan if he was rooting for the Yankees in the series hi's response i'm quoting him " No i'd rather the planes hit the towers again then see the Yankees win the series " i was stunned asked another Mets fan same question this guys says no i'm rooting for Arizona ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Heck yeah.  Good call.
    Funny i remember havin the same sentiment i asked a Mets fan if he was rooting for the Yankees in the series hi's response i'm quoting him " No i'd rather the planes hit the towers again then see the Yankees win the series " i was stunned asked another Mets fan same question this guys says no i'm rooting for Arizona ...
    They should have just kept Arizona a spring training camp state only.  :lol:

brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Heck yeah.  Good call.
    Wow. I am a huge Yankees fan and would have been totally fine if the Mets won it in 2001.  The city needed it so bad. I mean game seven in the World Series was awesome but I hate hate hate schilling and the dbacks 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I will never root for the Yankees or Mets, under any circumstances 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited September 2018
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Heck yeah.  Good call.

Yes, that's New York!

Most of us hate the cross town rival, especially with baseball and hockey.

Edit, one of my old one liners, I'd root for the Iraqi national team before I'd root for the Rangers!
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Heck yeah.  Good call.
    wow what a fucking asshole. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    my2hands said:
    I will never root for the Yankees or Mets, under any circumstances 
    lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Has anybody been to the 9/11 museum in nyc?  if so, what were your impressions?
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    mcgruff10 said:
    I went last year.  it was very moving but to be honest i was very aware that I was standing on a massive grave site and felt weird.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    ‘Unbelievable’: Bald eagle lands on top of firetruck ladder during 9/11 ceremony

https://globalnews.ca/news/4442747/9-11-bald-eagle/?utm_source=GlobalToronto&utm_medium=Facebook
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    that's crazy
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited September 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    I went when it was only opened a few months, and back again a few years later.
    That was my first trip to NYC. Went with my wife, she was living and teaching in Brooklyn when 9/11 happened. She lived just on the other side of Brooklyn Bridge, so as a result her local FD was among the first on scene and suffered the most.

It was a nice memorial. The first time we went there was about 45 minutes of security checks and meta detectors, which honestly sort of hindered the experience for me. Not that I didn't want to bother with safety, but it was a reminder of how much security has changed and took away a little from the experience of focusing on the loss and the victims.
    It wasn't nearly as bad the second time.

I didn't feel weird about the massive grave site, but I did think about it. One of the "cool" things was a single tree that survived.
    Other than that, it was like any  memorial. You go, you reflect, you get sad. There isn't much else to do, I think we were there about 20-30 minutes.
    My wife wasn't very impressed though. I think because she experienced it, the memorial didn't really do it justice in her mind, didn't capture what happened. Just really a list of names around an infinity pool.
    For her I don't think anything will capture how she felt the weeks and months after, walking by every church plastered with thousands of missing posters. Recognizing the same faces on the walls of missing for weeks. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    mcgruff10 said:
    I highly recommend this museum with a minimum of 3 hours to take it all in plus time before and after at the memorial. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mcgruff10 said:
    I highly recommend this museum with a minimum of 3 hours to take it all in plus time before and after at the memorial. 
    I forgot about the museum part. I can't remember much about it, was only opened about a month when I went, so I think that was about 7 or 8 years ago. We went back about a year later, so it was worth doing twice.
    The only part I really remember is reflecting on everything at the fountain/infinity pool and taking in what happened at that spot.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes, my ex and I went there a few years ago. It's pretty deep brother
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes, my ex and I went there a few years ago. It's pretty deep brother
    I want to go but I don’t know if I am ready. It is still tough to watch those images. I was watching a special last night on the World Series and got all teary eyed when W threw out that first pitch. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,418
    never forget

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    18 years ago...wow.
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Sitting here for the past 2 hours having coffee, remembering that morning. By the time I got up to our roof deck (I still live in the same building), the Towers had collapsed. My brain couldn’t connect the image of the huge plume of smoke vs. the actual Towers as I had seen them each & every day for the previous 20 years. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    mickeyrat said:
    never forget

Working so close to the Pentagon that I could see, hear, and feel the impact I can still remember every aspect and minute of that day.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    still tear up remembering that day.  18 years.  never forget those who lost their lives that day.
  • Didn’t seem real for days after. 
    hippiemom = goodness