Halifax does his research.

13»

Comments

• mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Everyday we are risking our lives just by going to work ! Shootings happen in every scenario possible...
    Don't you have a better chance of being killed in a car crash than getting shot?
    Over 30,000 every year in the US since the 1940s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

It is the most dangerous thing most of us do on a daily basis.  I don't think that lessens the trouble of our gun culture, but the drive is far more dangerous than what may happen at the destination.  We're just so desensitized to it and accept it.  The gun crowd probably wants us to get that point with mass shootings.
    We don’t just “accept” it. We’re constantly making roads, cars and drivers safer, passing and enforcing laws to get a desired result. Compare that 30,000 deaths per year to vehicle miles driven, number of cars on the road and number of licensed drivers and you’ll see progress on reducing automobile deaths. With guns, it seems the opposite. Less gun owners, more guns, less restrictions and the numbers of deaths have stayed constant. And mass shootings have increased.

In my lifetime I’ve seen the following regarding making driving safer:

speedlimits set to road conditions 
    drinking age raised to 21 nationally
    curfews for new drivers
    DUI laws implemented and enforced
    mandatory seat belt laws
    seat belts going from non-existence to lap belts to three point and car seats for babies and kids
    technology in cars like lane departure warnings
    delayed traffic signaling 
    airbags
    road & highway design standards 

And the list goes on and on. The assault weapons ban expired in 2004. What other “safety” laws as they relate to guns has been passed since then?

Make all cars have a governed speed of 60MPH and I will listen to this further.  While cars have triple digits still on the dashboard this is rather moot.
    Preposterous. That’s like saying, “make all guns single shot muskets with powder and musket ball,” and I’ll listen to your gun rights argument. 
    No quite different.  No mention of muskets in the constitution.

No mention of cars in the constitution either now that I think of it?

My argument is if you want to stop cars from killing people limit them in speed.  I can use the same argument on cars and guns though.  Why do I need a car that can do 120mph?  Because it's fun.
    crash mitagation is standard now on all commercial trucks.  its coming to cars too......PITA but it works. dramatically increasd the number of miles driven before an incident at my work. in fact they are still counting. we get video played off certain crash avoidances. it also displays dumbfucks in cars pulling stupid shit.
    If my new car that I purchase has that crash avoidance thing I expect my insurance rates to drop considerably.

Will they?

I still want to be able to do 120 on an open abandoned highway.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    edited September 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Everyday we are risking our lives just by going to work ! Shootings happen in every scenario possible...
    Don't you have a better chance of being killed in a car crash than getting shot?

It is the most dangerous thing most of us do on a daily basis.  I don't think that lessens the trouble of our gun culture, but the drive is far more dangerous than what may happen at the destination.  We're just so desensitized to it and accept it.  The gun crowd probably wants us to get that point with mass shootings.
    We don’t just “accept” it. We’re constantly making roads, cars and drivers safer, passing and enforcing laws to get a desired result. Compare that 30,000 deaths per year to vehicle miles driven, number of cars on the road and number of licensed drivers and you’ll see progress on reducing automobile deaths. With guns, it seems the opposite. Less gun owners, more guns, less restrictions and the numbers of deaths have stayed constant. And mass shootings have increased.

curfews for new drivers
    mandatory seat belt laws
    seat belts going from non-existence to lap belts to three point and car seats for babies and kids
    airbags

And the list goes on and on. The assault weapons ban expired in 2004. What other “safety” laws as they relate to guns has been passed since then?

Make all cars have a governed speed of 60MPH and I will listen to this further.  While cars have triple digits still on the dashboard this is rather moot.
    Preposterous. That’s like saying, “make all guns single shot muskets with powder and musket ball,” and I’ll listen to your gun rights argument. 

My argument is if you want to stop cars from killing people limit them in speed.  I can use the same argument on cars and guns though.  Why do I need a car that can do 120mph?  Because it's fun.
    crash mitagation is standard now on all commercial trucks.  its coming to cars too......PITA but it works. dramatically increasd the number of miles driven before an incident at my work. in fact they are still counting. we get video played off certain crash avoidances. it also displays dumbfucks in cars pulling stupid shit.
    If my new car that I purchase has that crash avoidance thing I expect my insurance rates to drop considerably.

Will they?

Are you required to have insurance as a gun owner?

And you do get a break on your insurance for certain safety features like airbags, antilock brakes, etc. My point stands, that with the evolution of the car and resulting highway carnage, laws, licensing and regulations changed to mitigate the carnage. With firearms, it seems the opposite is true.

Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:

curfews for new drivers
    mandatory seat belt laws
    airbags

Will they?

And you do get a break on your insurance for certain safety features like airbags, antilock brakes, etc. My point stands, that with the evolution of the car and resulting highway carnage, laws, licensing and regulations changed to mitigate the carnage. With firearms, it seems the opposite is true.

When I took my conceal class the instructor taught the class to have a lawyer on retainer if you decide to carry.  There was a cost.

Laws have changed by state to outright ban things, where as you can't own it or sell it anymore.  The car laws changed but you can still buy the old cool ones without those newer features.

Older cars are worth more.  Interesting right?

We can go back and forth on this.  I'm enjoying it actually.
  • mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:

curfews for new drivers
    mandatory seat belt laws
    airbags

Will they?

When I took my conceal class the instructor taught the class to have a lawyer on retainer if you decide to carry.  There was a cost.

Laws have changed by state to outright ban things, where as you can't own it or sell it anymore.  The car laws changed but you can still buy the old cool ones without those newer features.

Not the same. Are you legally required to have insurance as a gun owner? A “recommendation” is not the same as a legal requirement.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:

curfews for new drivers
    mandatory seat belt laws
    airbags

Will they?

Not the same. Are you legally required to have insurance as a gun owner? A “recommendation” is not the same as a legal requirement.

I agree, now Comment on my next part.  The one where the banned guns can't be bought or traded but the cars can.
  • mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:

curfews for new drivers
    mandatory seat belt laws
    airbags

Will they?

I agree, now Comment on my next part.  The one where the banned guns can't be bought or traded but the cars can.
    Cars haven’t been banned. Unless they don’t pass inspection or they get grandfathered in after 25 years.

Brilliantati©
  • Older cars in good condition are worth more, unless they’re a Rambler or Pinto. But again, a serious collector would pay for mint.

Brilliantati©
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

Can you say the same for firearm fatalities in the past 20 years?

Brilliantati©
  • Are cars designed to kill people?   No, cars are intended to transport people from A to B.  

The only function of guns is to kill people.  That is their primary purpose.  

Totally different argument.  Should people not live in houses to avoid house fires?    Not fly to avoid dying in a crash?  Don’t tell me I have to give up my car in order for you to give up your precious AR-15 that just sits on a shelf to make you feel stronger than you are.
  • Are cars designed to kill people?   No, cars are intended to transport people from A to B.  

Totally different argument.  Should people not live in houses to avoid house fires?    Not fly to avoid dying in a crash?  Don’t tell me I have to give up my car in order for you to give up your precious AR-15 that just sits on a shelf to make you feel stronger than you are.
    Who said to give up your car?  Cars aren't designed to klll people yet they do more so than firearms.

The AR-15 I used to own was for fun.  Make me feel stronger?  Not sure how that works?  Is that like wheaties or something?  What a dumb statement.  I get amazed at what comes out of some of your mouths sometimes, it baffles me.

What my argument about cars is correct Halifax, they don't "ban" cars.  They make new safety laws but those cars can still be bought and sold freely on the market.

Ban the gun and you can't do that.

I really want to be able to own what I want
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

Can you say the same for firearm fatalities in the past 20 years?

Interesting numbers.  It appears that the recession caused less deaths by cars.  I'm curious about gun related deaths during that time now too.

You may be on to something.

Who said to give up your car?  Cars aren't designed to klll people yet they do more so than firearms.

The AR-15 I used to own was for fun.  Make me feel stronger?  Not sure how that works?  Is that like wheaties or something?  What a dumb statement.  I get amazed at what comes out of some of your mouths sometimes, it baffles me.

What my argument about cars is correct Halifax, they don't "ban" cars.  They make new safety laws but those cars can still be bought and sold freely on the market.

They don't ban cars because cars are for transportation and like just about everything there are accidents that happen and people get killed.  5,200 people died from choking in 2017 but we don't ban food because food isn't designed to kill people. 

Guns are designed to kill people.  They aren't malfunctioning when a shooter shoots up a school.  The guns are serving their intended purpose.   That is why it is way, way, way different to suggest banning gun ownership versus car ownership.   It is like gun owners are constantly surprised that guns are killing innocent people.  Oh dear, how can we ever fix this problem?

They don't ban cars because cars are for transportation and like just about everything there are accidents that happen and people get killed.  5,200 people died from choking in 2017 but we don't ban food because food isn't designed to kill people. 

Guns are designed to kill people.  They aren't malfunctioning when a shooter shoots up a school.  The guns are serving their intended purpose.   That is why it is way, way, way different to suggest banning gun ownership versus car ownership.   It is like gun owners are constantly surprised that guns are killing innocent people.  Oh dear, how can we ever fix this problem?

You can’t. Nothing can be done but pray.

Brilliantati©