5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• JM144705JM144705 Philadelphia Posts: 429
    Please god no! Life is too short to waste on shitty music.
  • Jebus4uJebus4u Posts: 5
    on2legs said:
    Yes if the opening band is The Gaslight Anthem.  No if it’s anyone else.  
    With a SOLAT cover 
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    edited August 2019
    Staind.... 
    im kidding. 

in all seriousness though, AWOLNATION. thats 40 minutes no one on this board is prepared for. Everyone would walk away smiling, something that seems really hard to do these days around here.... 

https://youtu.be/AQjpBSGplgA?t=1557

also, the current guitarist, not the one pictured here, is Zack Irons. I dont know what else to say but that this should have happened years ago
    Post edited by SandyRavage on
  • jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Brandi, Sleater, or Mudhoney yes!
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    The Hold Steady should open for them.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Awolnation is really good.  Caught them at ACL 8 or 9 years ago.  

Maybe im in the minority but give me a great opening band and 29 PJ songs vs no opening band and 35 PJ songs.  
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    No, almost every opening band they choose sucks.  Only way to top the level of suck they’ve approached wools be have some of the acts mentioned so far, like Gaslight Anthem.

Isbell and Sturgill are so far beyond this it would have to almost be co-headlining.
    At least in the Northeast, Isbell and Sturgill are nowhere near Pearl Jam's level yet. The last time each came through on their own, Isbell played a 3500 capacity pavilion and Sturgill a 2500 theater. Isbell has played 7500 seats twice but as a coheadliner with Brandi Carlile or Frank Turner. I love both of those guys but they have a ways to go before they're co-headlining with Pearl Jam. 

I wasn’t trying to say they were as big as PJ. Just that they can pull off their own high profile tours and it would have little benefit downgrading from the the headline spot. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    No, almost every opening band they choose sucks.  Only way to top the level of suck they’ve approached wools be have some of the acts mentioned so far, like Gaslight Anthem.

Isbell and Sturgill are so far beyond this it would have to almost be co-headlining.
    At least in the Northeast, Isbell and Sturgill are nowhere near Pearl Jam's level yet. The last time each came through on their own, Isbell played a 3500 capacity pavilion and Sturgill a 2500 theater. Isbell has played 7500 seats twice but as a coheadliner with Brandi Carlile or Frank Turner. I love both of those guys but they have a ways to go before they're co-headlining with Pearl Jam. 

I wasn’t trying to say they were as big as PJ. Just that they can pull off their own high profile tours and it would have little benefit downgrading from the the headline spot. 
    You said they should be co-headlining with Pearl Jam.

On this new point, I can sorta see that with Isbell. Sturgill, though, is right at the level of many PJ openers I've seen...MMJ, Band of Horses, etc. I don't know that either of those guys is headlining 18k seats+ anytime soon. Seems to me there is plenty of benefit to getting in front of potential new fans in arenas and amphitheaters. I'm sure a lot goes into those tour decisions, so who knows. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Please no co-headling tours.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • I agree no co-headline tours. 

But Sturgill, Isbell, Carlie would expose them to a new bigger audience and I would love to see them. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:

On this new point, I can sorta see that with Isbell. Sturgill, though, is right at the level of many PJ openers I've seen...MMJ, Band of Horses, etc. I don't know that either of those guys is headlining 18k seats+ anytime soon. Seems to me there is plenty of benefit to getting in front of potential new fans in arenas and amphitheaters. I'm sure a lot goes into those tour decisions, so who knows. 
    I put “almost coheadlining” meaning that clearly PJ would be the headliner in a hypothetical tour. 

I think Isbell and Sturgill are both well beyond BoH at their most popular and 2006 MMJ. 

They don’t need that bump to get from 2500 cap venues to 7500 cap venues. 
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    Please no country acts as openers.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:

I put “almost coheadlining” meaning that clearly PJ would be the headliner in a hypothetical tour. 

If only there was a word for when two bands go on tour but they're not co-headlining and one band is the clear headliner...
    RP112579 said:
    Give the new Sturgill song a spin. It ain't Dwight Yoakam, I'll tell ya that.
    RP112579 said:
    100% agree.

• Who’s on PJs level that they would go-headline with?

co-headers are for bands that are fading fandom wise. pJ can still sell out pretty much any venue. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I wonder if pj could sell
    out a 50 show arena tour.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I hope they take that challenge 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited September 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think so .... (?)
    (Read: I hope so)
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited September 2019
    Who’s on PJs level that they would go-headline with?
    Foo Fighters?

co-headers are for bands that are fading fandom wise. pJ can still sell out pretty much any venue. 
    A couple one-offs like they did with Petty is all I can imagine. In that case, Neil Young? Roger Waters? 
  • Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!!
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    More openers and less PJ sounds terrible and co headliners sounds even worse. 
  • No co-headliners, for sure. I skipped AiC this time around, because who wants to spend money on Korn? 
    rummy said:
    Foo Fighters?
    Please God no.

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited September 2019
    Yea. Korn and Alice In Chains seems like a weird tour. I liked the first three Korn albums but haven’t listened to them in years to see how they hold up. And yes, while the new AIC is good, they will never be Layne good so I would miss that tour too 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited September 2019
    Pearl Jam  // Neil Young with Crazy Horse

Would be a good co-headlining tour.

All profits could go to Amnesty and the fight to stop torture around the world.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Pearl Jam with Alice in Chain playing a shorter set before (but longer than a opening act slot) would be cool also.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I thought the opening act was the fight at the Merch table :o