Living without money.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    Into the wild
    That book and McCandless' quest for a simpler life was also inspiring.  And another fine read too!
    I have actually read that Alaska Authorities said that book and the story of McCandliss have been more harmful than anything.  McCandliss was ill-prepared and had no real idea of how to live off-grid or off the land.  Every year Alaska has to do some rescue's along that trail and just a couple weeks ago a honeymooning couple from Europe had tragedy strike when the newlywed bride died crossing a fast-moving river and was swept away 1feet  downriver...

I wish the media would quit with the romance of living off the land.  Not much of society is equipped to live off the land...
    That is not an accurate summary of the McCandless story.  He was pretty well prepared and he was living quite successfully until he got sick, most likely from a fungal infection.

Yes, his story has inspired idiots to exercise their idiocy, but a cursory glance at the SAR records of any major National Park will show that idiots love to exercise their idiocy at every opportunity.
    Into the Wild
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild_(film)

Noting McCandless' unpreparedness, the stranger who drops him off lends him a pair of boots.  

Four months later, at the abandoned bus, life for McCandless becomes harder, and he begins to make poor decisions. As his supplies begin to run out, he realizes that nature is also harsh and uncaring. 

Dude.  The guy did not even have the most basic equipment...good hiking boots.  That sounds like some who was prepared.  He did not even make it summer.

If he was prepared he would have known about the runoff that causes that particular river hard to cross.  

Did you really just quote a Wikipedia article about a Hollywood film based on a book as a source? lol
    Try again.  Read the book and Krakauer's interviews and notes.
    Quoting the movie summary lol
    Dude...all you do is flap your gums about how right you are and how wrong everyone else...you are a baffle them with bullshit kind of guy...not dazzle them with brilliance.  You should learn to ignore my post because I think very little of you...and some of your ridiculous post...

You guys actually to agree on some stuff.  Maybe keep the personal gripes to a personal message?  It's a bummer to come on here and read personal attacks.  I'm not ratting anyone out, just sayin'.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I'm pretty surprised (though I guess I shouldn't be) at how hard it is for Pearl Jam fans to countenance a lifestyle outside of Western Civilization norms.

How is money and what comes with achieving it a Western Civilization norm? All facets of human society have had some form of currency. And the few that do “survive” without money need many things to work in their favor to even survive. Money brings a lot of evil with it, greed being the main factor in that. To each his own. Whatever anyone wants to do to make their lives complete to them all the power to them. It’s just not for me. 
    Quite a few things have been listed that people seem to think require money and they don't.  Also, a few things have been listed that aren't necessary to a happy or fulfilled life at all.
    Now, I'm not saying this is the right lifestyle, or even a better one, but when people can't even conceive or accept the idea of something different, it shows a high level of inurement within Western norms.
    All things considered, I'm pretty content with life, the one I've built with my husband.  That's the most important thing to me.

Also important are meds for my health, fresh produce and meat (expensive!), blood tests, MRI's, all that shit.

If someone is young and/or prepared enough to truly go for it, great for them.  But!  Know that eschewing the lifestyle isn't tantamount to a closed mind.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I'm pretty surprised (though I guess I shouldn't be) at how hard it is for Pearl Jam fans to countenance a lifestyle outside of Western Civilization norms.

How is money and what comes with achieving it a Western Civilization norm? All facets of human society have had some form of currency. And the few that do “survive” without money need many things to work in their favor to even survive. Money brings a lot of evil with it, greed being the main factor in that. To each his own. Whatever anyone wants to do to make their lives complete to them all the power to them. It’s just not for me. 
    Quite a few things have been listed that people seem to think require money and they don't.  Also, a few things have been listed that aren't necessary to a happy or fulfilled life at all.
    Now, I'm not saying this is the right lifestyle, or even a better one, but when people can't even conceive or accept the idea of something different, it shows a high level of inurement within Western norms.
    All things considered, I'm pretty content with life, the one I've built with my husband.  That's the most important thing to me.

Also important are meds for my health, fresh produce and meat (expensive!), blood tests, MRI's, all that shit.

If someone is young and/or prepared enough to truly go for it, great for them.  But!  Know that eschewing the lifestyle isn't tantamount to a closed mind.
    Come on, you would be much happier scavenging for food out of dumpsters, wearing the same clothes every day, and smelling like shit!  Just admit it :)
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Come on, you would be much happier scavenging for food out of dumpsters, wearing the same clothes every day, and smelling like shit!  Just admit it :)
    Who said anything about smelling like shit?  Why would you imply ipso facto that everyone who scavenges for there meals smells like shit?  What's the deal?  Do you somehow feel threatened by the subject matter here?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Who said anything about smelling like shit?  Why would you imply ipso facto that everyone who scavenges for there meals smells like shit?  What's the deal?  Do you somehow feel threatened by the subject matter here?
    How the heck do you not smell?  I mean I've done plenty of backpacking and never really smelt like roses.  I remember after two weeks on the trail in New Mexico I smelt absolutely putrid lol.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Just seems logical that you would be stinky if you foraged in dumpsters for food...I wasn’t being overly serious, btw.
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

How the heck do you not smell?  I mean I've done plenty of backpacking and never really smelt like roses.  I remember after two weeks on the trail in New Mexico I smelt absolutely putrid lol.  
    Two weeks in NM???  Bless your heart!
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

First of all, why would you assume homeless people go without bathing for two weeks?  Some do, this is true.  We had one homeless guy who smelled so badly I couldn't get near him without almost passing out.  Customers were leaving the store because of him. I finally had to ask him to please bath before coming into the store and he ran out the door screaming all the way down the block.  But I'll bet that guy had lost his mind.  Perhaps he was a Vietnam Vet. 

But then another homeless guy used to come into the to the store reeking and I suggested the same thing.  He looked up at me and said, "Oh, thanks," and he never smelled poorly after that.  And we have had other homeless people come in who did not smell badly at all, ever.

It is well documented that during the era of North American continental conquest by the Europeans, the white pioneers smelled badly but the indigenous people for the most part did not.  So would you guys assume that all people who live as hunter-gatherers stick like shit?
    If you live near a stream or lake, you bath in the water.  If you live in the city, there are places where you can bathe.  Years ago, I lived in my van for a couple of years.  I did not "smell like shit".  I found places to bathe. 

And I believe in a society that didn't use money this would not be a problem.  Not having money does not negate the ability to bathe.  I think you guys are grasping at straws here.

PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Two weeks in NM???  Bless your heart!
    It was awesome!   I absolutely love everything about the west.  Still gotta hit up Texas proper!

Where you at @PJPOWER

Let's put this subject of odor into further perspective.  I went to a seated musical performance at an upscale venue years ago.  Most of the people in attendance were well to do upper middle class suburbanites.  The couple sitting behind me were all decked out and coifed.  They reeked of cologne, perfume, alcohol and garlic.  I would much rather have sat near someone who had the same clothes they'd worn a few days and maybe hadn't bathed in a couple of days.  Someone like Suelo.  "Smells like shit" is relative.

mcgruff10 said:
    Where you at @PJPOWER

Lubbock area
    brianlux said:
    Let's put this subject of odor into further perspective.  I went to a seated musical performance at an upscale venue years ago.  Most of the people in attendance were well to do upper middle class suburbanites.  The couple sitting behind me were all decked out and coifed.  They reeked of cologne, perfume, alcohol and garlic.  I would much rather have sat near someone who had the same clothes they'd worn a few days and maybe hadn't bathed in a couple of days.  Someone like Suelo.  "Smells like shit" is relative.
    Yes, “smells like shit” is relative.  Not a fan of perfumes, cologne, or alcohol either...Garlic, though...
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Yes, “smells like shit” is relative.  Not a fan of perfumes, cologne, or alcohol either...Garlic, though...
    It wasn't your statement.  I'm hoping for a reply from McGruff.

brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    What am I replying too? I m confused.  
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I work at a really good job and there is a guy I work with that you can smell from, no joke, 10 feet away. And his work vehicle will make you gag from the odor. This guy makes easily $95-110 thousand US dollars a year. So money and stink don’t really go together. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    What am I replying too? I m confused.  
    Sorry, you said:

"How the heck do you not smell?  I mean I've done plenty of backpacking and never really smelt like roses.  I remember after two weeks on the trail in New Mexico I smelt absolutely putrid lol."

I replied:

"First of all, why would you assume homeless people go without bathing for two weeks?  Some do, this is true.  We had one homeless guy who smelled so badly I couldn't get near him without almost passing out.  Customers were leaving the store because of him. I finally had to ask him to please bath before coming into the store and he ran out the door screaming all the way down the block.  But I'll bet that guy had lost his mind.  Perhaps he was a Vietnam Vet. 

But then another homeless guy used to come into the to the store reeking and I suggested the same thing.  He looked up at me and said, "Oh, thanks," and he never smelled poorly after that.  And we have had other homeless people come in who did not smell badly at all, ever.

It is well documented that during the era of North American continental conquest by the Europeans, the white pioneers smelled badly but the indigenous people for the most part did not.  So would you guys assume that all people who live as hunter-gatherers stick like shit?
    If you live near a stream or lake, you bath in the water.  If you live in the city, there are places where you can bathe.  Years ago, I lived in my van for a couple of years.  I did not "smell like shit".  I found places to bathe. 

And I believe in a society that didn't use money this would not be a problem.  Not having money does not negate the ability to bathe.  I think you guys are grasping at straws here."

edited August 2019
     I just merely said how I find it difficult to smell good after I was backpacking.  Even after a weekend of hunting or camping I smell funky when I come home.  So I do find it hard to believe that someone without money could in fact be always clean and smell good.  Without money how could one buy soap or shampoo?  Even if you do bathe in a river or stream it doesn’t mean you get those odors out.  Did the native Americans use something special to mask their smell?  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    mcgruff10 said:
     I just merely said how I find it difficult to smell good after I was backpacking.  Even after a weekend of hunting or camping I smell funky when I come home.  So I do find it hard to believe that someone without money could in fact be always clean and smell good.  Without money how could one buy soap or shampoo?  Even if you do bathe in a river or stream it doesn’t mean you get those odors out.  Did the native Americans use something special to mask their smell?  
    Suelo's whole premise is that there is enough waste that people can, if they choose to, live off of that waste.  You and I choose not to , but it can be done, at least in first world countries where there is so much waste.  A person choosing to live without money will have to spend some of their time scavenging things like soap and clothing as well as food.  Suelo has retrieved all kinds of things found in dumpsters, left on the roadside, or sometimes given to him including bicycles, bedding,  cookware, etc.  Of course going to a money-free society would be a difficult and complex transition, but as long as there is as much waste in our first world as there is, I thinks it's great that there are people willing to live that way. 

Many indigenous tribes use/ used plants like yucca , soap-root, California lilacs, buffaloberry among others to make soap.  It can also be made from lye and animal fat.

edited August 2019
    Yeah you lost me at scavenging for soap and clothing lol. That’s a big no thank you for me. 
    I did find the Native American soap very interesting.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I’m sure what we put in our bodies has a lot to do with the smell that comes out of them. Earlier civilizations seem to have healthier diets. But who knows. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yeah you lost me at scavenging for soap and clothing lol. That’s a big no thank you for me. 
    I did find the Native American soap very interesting.  
    Oh, for sure.  Like I said, very few of us would choose to live this way.  But far more to the point is what I've said many time here which is that there is much to learn from people like Daniel Suelo and others who chose to view life differently from our dead end money driven economy.  All one has to do is look at the degradation of the world around us to see that we are grinding ourselves into the ground.  And yet new approaches are looked down upon or even thought of (at least subconsciously) as a threat.  People like Daniel give us a clear opportunity to see how wasteful we are. 

Here's that Ted talk again.  I think it's worth checking out.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    Into the wild
    That book and McCandless' quest for a simpler life was also inspiring.  And another fine read too!
    I have actually read that Alaska Authorities said that book and the story of McCandliss have been more harmful than anything.  McCandliss was ill-prepared and had no real idea of how to live off-grid or off the land.  Every year Alaska has to do some rescue's along that trail and just a couple weeks ago a honeymooning couple from Europe had tragedy strike when the newlywed bride died crossing a fast-moving river and was swept away 1feet  downriver...

I wish the media would quit with the romance of living off the land.  Not much of society is equipped to live off the land...
    That is not an accurate summary of the McCandless story.  He was pretty well prepared and he was living quite successfully until he got sick, most likely from a fungal infection.

Yes, his story has inspired idiots to exercise their idiocy, but a cursory glance at the SAR records of any major National Park will show that idiots love to exercise their idiocy at every opportunity.
    Into the Wild
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Wild_(film)

Noting McCandless' unpreparedness, the stranger who drops him off lends him a pair of boots.  

Four months later, at the abandoned bus, life for McCandless becomes harder, and he begins to make poor decisions. As his supplies begin to run out, he realizes that nature is also harsh and uncaring. 

Dude.  The guy did not even have the most basic equipment...good hiking boots.  That sounds like some who was prepared.  He did not even make it summer.

If he was prepared he would have known about the runoff that causes that particular river hard to cross.  

Did you really just quote a Wikipedia article about a Hollywood film based on a book as a source? lol
    Try again.  Read the book and Krakauer's interviews and notes.
    Quoting the movie summary lol
    Dude...all you do is flap your gums about how right you are and how wrong everyone else...you are a baffle them with bullshit kind of guy...not dazzle them with brilliance.  You should learn to ignore my post because I think very little of you...and some of your ridiculous post...

Your username is just so very appropriate!
     lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    I call bullshit. That stuff is bad, but someone that hasn’t bathed is the worst. Nothing worse.
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    I call bullshit. That stuff is bad, but someone that hasn’t bathed is the worst. Nothing worse.
    We got way off topic here.  Living without money has nothing to do with how people smell.  I'm not even sure how we got there.  Maybe check out some of the other information I've posted here and forget about b.o. and bad breath.

brianlux said:
    You ought to toughen up there Buttercup!
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    You’ve never ride the elevator at an engineering college. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    You’ve never ride the elevator at an engineering college. 
    Hahahaha you REALLY need to toughen up if you think that's bad.  

I'm teasing you, but I'm also not lol

You would sound like a Valley Girl to someone who has worked in medical fields, serious manual labor, played sports, been deployed, etc... A little body odor is not a big deal.
    rgambs said:
    I'm teasing you, but I'm also not lol

You would sound like a Valley Girl to someone who has worked in medical fields, serious manual labor, played sports, been deployed, etc... A little body odor is not a big deal.
    Ummm just cause you’ve been around it doesn’t mean it’s ok. It’s a big deal
    hippiemom = goodness