Nirvana. Overrated?

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Not overrated one bit.  If anything, I think they’re underrated.  They paved the way and changed the game completely during those early years.  I find it interesting that some have said Grohl was the most talented band member.  I’ve always thought he rode the wave of Nirvanas success into his Foo Fighters career.  That’s not a knock on Grohl. Talented dude and I’ve always liked Foo Fighters (less these days), but to say he's more talented than Cobain doesn’t compute to me.  I’ve always wondered what they would have been, if not for Kurt’s death, and how that would have potentially changed the trajectory of PJ, Soundgarden, AIC. 

Not one mention of Bleach in this entire thread either. That album f’n rocks. 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    If they are so overrated then why did they have a bigger impact on music than other grunge bands?
    There was Nirvanamania when Nevermind was released. The biggest thing since Beatlemania.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    bbiggs said:
    Not overrated one bit.  If anything, I think they’re underrated.  They paved the way and changed the game completely during those early years.  I find it interesting that some have said Grohl was the most talented band member.  I’ve always thought he rode the wave of Nirvanas success into his Foo Fighters career.  That’s not a knock on Grohl. Talented dude and I’ve always liked Foo Fighters (less these days), but to say he's more talented than Cobain doesn’t compute to me.  I’ve always wondered what they would have been, if not for Kurt’s death, and how that would have potentially changed the trajectory of PJ, Soundgarden, AIC. 

Bleach is the shit.

I just pre-ordered the Live & Loud vinyl, I can't freakin wait to spin this.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/nirvana-live-and-loud-concert-vinyl-streaming-services-861210/

• bbiggs said:

Bleach is the shit.

I just pre-ordered the Live & Loud vinyl, I can't freakin wait to spin this.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/nirvana-live-and-loud-concert-vinyl-streaming-services-861210/

Saw this on an internet store and thought it was one of those bootleg releases... hmm... Will buy this I think
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    My opinion is strictly that. My opinion.  But even though I like Nirvana and own their albums on vinyl, they seem to be overrated in my eyes. Kurt’s lyrics are nonsense for the most part. To me, I believe that Dave Grohl has a much bigger influence on the band than it has ever been said. Soundgarden, Tad, Alice In Chains, Kyuss, the Melvins and of course Pearl Jam are much more listened to in my house and I believe to be better bands than Nirvana. I think Nirvana was right place, right time but not as important as everyone seems to make them. Maybe I am wrong. But just my opinion. 
    Thanks for your opinion.  But yes, you are wrong.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    My opinion is strictly that. My opinion.  But even though I like Nirvana and own their albums on vinyl, they seem to be overrated in my eyes. Kurt’s lyrics are nonsense for the most part. To me, I believe that Dave Grohl has a much bigger influence on the band than it has ever been said. Soundgarden, Tad, Alice In Chains, Kyuss, the Melvins and of course Pearl Jam are much more listened to in my house and I believe to be better bands than Nirvana. I think Nirvana was right place, right time but not as important as everyone seems to make them. Maybe I am wrong. But just my opinion. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jja5iWRp1w
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Will definitely be ordering live and loud.   Imagine if Pearl Jam didn’t cancel?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    mcgruff10 said:
    Will definitely be ordering live and loud.   Imagine if Pearl Jam didn’t cancel?!
    Were they supposed to perform, too? If so, I (obviously) didn't know that.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    If they are so overrated then why did they have a bigger impact on music than other grunge bands?
    There was Nirvanamania when Nevermind was released. The biggest thing since Beatlemania.
    First no it wasn't, second because sheep gonna follow. Just because something becomes a craze doesn't mean it's any good. It just means it was marketed well. 

Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but I find it tough to read such negative comments about Nirvana. KC may have been a dick at times (and the heroin around a baby ain't good) but they made some incredible music. 

I still lump Ten and Nevermind (and BMF) together along with Vs and In Utero (and Siamese Dream) together which provided me with some of the greatest music as a young adult. I'll always cherish it.
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Were they supposed to perform, too? If so, I (obviously) didn't know that.
    Yes.  I believe Ed got sick and they canceled last minute. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    bbiggs said:

I like Nirvana's music a bit better than Foo Fighters, but Foo Fighters have so many albums, that even at a few decent songs per album, it's now added up to a lot of decent songs.

I will say I think Dave Grohl earned it.  People seem to think he had overnight success with the Foo Fighters.  I think that first tour was bars, the 2nd tour was still small venues. I saw them in support of the colour and the shape in '97, and they played the University of BC student rec centre which held about 1200 people.   I saw them the next summer again at Edgefest and they had an afternoon slot before green day and a bunch of Canadian rock bands.    Even in the 2000 I saw them supporting RHCP.     While his notiarity maybe got him  some fans in the beginning, I think it was the relentless touring and releasing of albums that built the Foo's legacy.    I don't feel it's fair to say it was from Nirvana...  It helped him his foot in the door, but it was a career he had to start over and spend years building to being an arena/stadium headliner.
    @rummy
    straight from the pj20 book: 
    First no it wasn't, second because sheep gonna follow. Just because something becomes a craze doesn't mean it's any good. It just means it was marketed well. 

It wasn't marketed. Nevermind's success was word of mouth. The music was so good people went crazy for it.
    I've read a number of books with commentary from music journalists and musicans and they all say it was the biggest phenomenon since Beatlemania. How do you know they were sheep, they were excited that there was something better than that shit hair metal that was big at the time.
    mcgruff10 said:
    @rummy
    straight from the pj20 book: 
    Fuck Courtney could be a nasty piece of work. 
    Why? 
    I love Jeff's reaction. What more can you do. He handled it with class.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Out of all the balls that Courtney has seen in her life, I’m sure a basketball 🏀 isn’t one of them. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Like 'em or not, Gern (I think they were great) you have to give Kurt credit for being the first person ever to play guitar on their head:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

He was so amazing on stage. True rocker.
  • Out of all the balls that Courtney has seen in her life, I’m sure a basketball 🏀 isn’t one of them. 
    Can't stand these kind of shit comments.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

Lol 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

It wasn't marketed. Nevermind's success was word of mouth. The music was so good people went crazy for it.
    I've read a number of books with commentary from music journalists and musicans and they all say it was the biggest phenomenon since Beatlemania. How do you know they were sheep, they were excited that there was something better than that shit hair metal that was big at the time.
    This is marketing, my friend.  And it was the biggest form or music marketing in the world in 1991.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg
    The album I meant.
    Marketing is more pushing shit products onto people that mindlessly buy it.
    This song sold itself. It didn't need a video. 
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Out of all the balls that Courtney has seen in her life, I’m sure a basketball 🏀 isn’t one of them. 
    I’m sorry Jesus. Maybe when your done turning water into wine, you can enlighten us all on a proper comment. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Out of all the balls that Courtney has seen in her life, I’m sure a basketball 🏀 isn’t one of them. 
    I’m sorry Jesus. Maybe when your done turning water into wine, you can enlighten us all on a proper comment. 
    I think most on here are enlightened enough.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019

This is marketing, my friend.  And it was the biggest form or music marketing in the world in 1991.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg
    I still consider that a top 5 sweater/shirt in the history of sweaters/shirts.

1. Freddy Kruegers
    2. Kurt Cobains in the SLTS video
    I thought it was pretty funny. 
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I thought it was pretty funny. 
    Ofc you did
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Had Nirvana not paved the way I’m sure someone else would have. 
    I have never been a big fan. Liked a few songs but I just don’t see myself listening to nevermind when I’m sitting at home and 60 years old. 
    I don’t believe it is timeless music. Therefore my vote is for a bit overrated. 

I have never been a big fan. Liked a few songs but I just don’t see myself listening to nevermind when I’m sitting at home and 60 years old. 

I see your point at 60 years old but do you see yourself listen to, say, Ten or Superunknown? (Not sure if you are a SG fan?)

Oddly enough, I've made it this far (46) so I'll probably still be listening in 14 years.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    rummy said:

I see your point at 60 years old but do you see yourself listen to, say, Ten or Superunknown? (Not sure if you are a SG fan?)

Oddly enough, I've made it this far (46) so I'll probably still be listening in 14 years.

I am a soundgarden fan, yes. And I can see your point about Ten and superunknown. I’d like to believe those albums are a little more “mature” than Nevermind. Who knows, maybe, maybe not. Time will tell I guess.
    i know that if I’m alive at 60 ill still be listing to the Beatles, Stones etc ... as they are completely timeless.
    Black Crowes, Phish and some other 90’s bands I know I’ll forever cherish.