Not in any particular order...

Orion
    Phantom Lord
    Damage Inc.
    Motor Breath
    To live is to Die/Dyers Eve
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019

HARDWIRED... TO SELF-DESTRUCT (2016). I really want this to be a great album. The first half is really solid with a few really great songs. But the second one doesn’t have much to offer. And Lars looks goofy on the cover. 
    There are quite a few songs on here that are great..  It's the first album in a long while that actually sounds like a Metallica record.

Now that we're dead is a damn classic with some of the guitar riffs.

I just can't take you seriously though.  Anyone that loves the Black album best just doesn't get Metallica...

SHOTS FIRED!!!!
    James is soooooooo hit and miss with the lyrics. And it's evident on Hardwired. But okey, I might agree on 3 stars for it. The first half is so much better than the second though. 

Now that were dead, Hardwired, Moth into Flame and Halo on Fire (the hightlight of the show this summer... together with Sad but True) are great.

But its a good album with evident flaws. So 2 stars. Maybe 3 on a good day.

i doubt you can say much bad about The Black Album
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852

HARDWIRED... TO SELF-DESTRUCT (2016). I really want this to be a great album. The first half is really solid with a few really great songs. But the second one doesn’t have much to offer. And Lars looks goofy on the cover. 
    There are quite a few songs on here that are great..  It's the first album in a long while that actually sounds like a Metallica record.

Now that we're dead is a damn classic with some of the guitar riffs.

I just can't take you seriously though.  Anyone that loves the Black album best just doesn't get Metallica...

SHOTS FIRED!!!!
    James is soooooooo hit and miss with the lyrics. And it's evident on Hardwired. But okey, I might agree on 3 stars for it. The first half is so much better than the second though. 

Now that were dead, Hardwired, Moth into Flame and Halo on Fire (the hightlight of the show this summer... together with Sad but True) are great.

But its a good album with evident flaws. So 2 stars. Maybe 3 on a good day.

i doubt you can say much bad about The Black Album
    I can tell u a lot about the Black album.  It was a different direction than the previous 4.  There were no heavy hitters.

The beginning of the end.

There is a reason why it ranks 5th of the first couple of albums.

Highlight of the album is the Unforgiven solo.  Not much does it for me after that.

It's also the last Metallica album that I cared to learn the lyrics to and the only album of the first 5 that I don't listen to still.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I have never seen anyone rank Of Wolf and Man anywhere near the top of any Metallica song list, but then again no one would probably think my top PJ songs should be there either so I get it. I am not a hardcore, everything post the Black album suck fan. I enjoy their evolution and music from all their albums.

I don't think I could rank them in order, but 5 off the top for me:

Blackened
    The Outlaw Torn
    Leper Messiah
    Frantic
    For Whom the Bell Tolls

There are very few Metallica songs I skip, but those I would skip all are on the Black album or later.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergs said:
    I have never seen anyone rank Of Wolf and Man anywhere near the top of any Metallica song list, but then again no one would probably think my top PJ songs should be there either so I get it. I am not a hardcore, everything post the Black album suck fan. I enjoy their evolution and music from all their albums.

Blackened
    The Outlaw Torn
    Leper Messiah
    Frantic
    For Whom the Bell Tolls

There are very few Metallica songs I skip, but those I would skip all are on the Black album or later.
    Dissing Of Wolf and Man...

"My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" top 5.

:P
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Bringing this over here where it belongs so we don't derail the all-important Trump thread, you really like Load better than Kill 'Em All and Justice? To each their own but I've never heard anyone say that before. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Love this shit...

https://youtu.be/V_srhzakPbM
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Bringing this over here where it belongs so we don't derail the all-important Trump thread, you really like Load better than Kill 'Em All and Justice? To each their own but I've never heard anyone say that before. 
    Yes I do.

White-trash-hetfield-with-emotional-depth 

Over

angry-boy-hetfield-singing-in-a-distant-bathroom

any day.
  • And I like Kill 'Em All
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Corey G said:
    Nice! I saw them in like 1996. Suicidal Tendencies and Alice In Chains were the openers. I was so happy cause I’m a giant AIC fan and hadn’t seen them since 1993. Anyways, Layne got all fucked up on dope and they had to cancel. Lame ass Candlebox replaces them on the tour. I was soooo fucking pissed! Lol. Metallica and Suicidal were still mega though. Metallica is so damn good. I haven’t seen them in over 20 years. I’m stoked to go! Even if I have to go by myself! 
    I got to see them again this year. They played in Slane Castle over here, with a pretty amazing opening lineup as well, Ghost, Stiff Little Fingers etc.!
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Corey G said:
    Nice! I saw them in like 1996. Suicidal Tendencies and Alice In Chains were the openers. I was so happy cause I’m a giant AIC fan and hadn’t seen them since 1993. Anyways, Layne got all fucked up on dope and they had to cancel. Lame ass Candlebox replaces them on the tour. I was soooo fucking pissed! Lol. Metallica and Suicidal were still mega though. Metallica is so damn good. I haven’t seen them in over 20 years. I’m stoked to go! Even if I have to go by myself! 
    I got to see them again this year. They played in Slane Castle over here, with a pretty amazing opening lineup as well, Ghost, Stiff Little Fingers etc.!
    Did you get St Anger or Frantic?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    tbergs said:

Blackened
    The Outlaw Torn
    Leper Messiah
    Frantic
    For Whom the Bell Tolls

Damage Inc
    Crash Course (even as a cover)
    Breadfan
    Four Horseman
    Creeping Death

They can fuck themselves post Justice.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

Blackened
    The Outlaw Torn
    Leper Messiah
    Frantic
    For Whom the Bell Tolls

Damage Inc
    Breadfan
    Four Horseman
    Creeping Death

We have one song in common.
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:

Blackened
    The Outlaw Torn
    Leper Messiah
    Frantic
    For Whom the Bell Tolls

Damage Inc
    Breadfan
    Four Horseman
    Creeping Death

You do know that Breadfan is a cover too right?

In case no one has ever seen this it is worth a watch.  I like the OG but Metallica kills it.

https://youtu.be/54H3EUAzpVg
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    wow I hadn't heard that scalping story...that's fucked up
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Yes, I know Breadfan's a cover.  I also love their cover of Stone Cold Crazy, much better than Queen's.  I just didn't feel like writing the caveat again after the Crash course.

And yes, that scalp story is crazy.  It's par for course with Metallica though.  Never enough cash for those fuckers.  
  • tbergs said:
    Of Wolf and Man 
    This is magic by the way
    https://youtu.be/mcm6D8m4ldc

tbergs said:
    Of Wolf and Man 
    This is magic by the way

I got to see Of Wolf and Man performed for the first time ever Live.
    mrussel1 said:
    Yes, I know Breadfan's a cover.  I also love their cover of Stone Cold Crazy, much better than Queen's.  I just didn't feel like writing the caveat again after the Crash course.

And yes, that scalp story is crazy.  It's par for course with Metallica though.  Never enough cash for those fuckers.  
    I figured.

Breadfan is my alltime fav cover they do.

Right up there is Whiskey and Last Caress too.
  • tbergs said:
    Of Wolf and Man 
    This is magic by the way

I got to see Of the Earth performed for the first time ever Live :)

Of-bros
    ^ Isn't that from the album that had both a love song and a song that extolled American jingoism?  The lyrics could have been written by Toby Keith.  
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Revised listing:

Pre Black Album:

Blackened
    Leper Messiah
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Seek & Destroy
    Damage Inc.

Honorable mention:

Creeping Death
    Master of Puppets
    Dyers Eve

Post Justice:

Enter Sandman
    The Outlaw Torn
    Frantic
    All Nightmare Long
    Moth Into the Flame

Honorable mention:

Bleeding Me
    Devil's Dance
    Sad But True

It's a hopeless situation...
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    My favorite cinema has announced they will show the 20 year S&M shows in October. Sounds like it’s gonna be a proper concert film with snippets from 99 as well and what not. I’m going!
  • JPPJ84 said:
    My favorite cinema has announced they will show the 20 year S&M shows in October. Sounds like it’s gonna be a proper concert film with snippets from 99 as well and what not. I’m going!
    Yes, October 9th... 

I'm going too :)

Tickets go on sale tomorrow here.
    tbergs said:
    Of Wolf and Man 
    This is magic by the way

Of-bros
    lol, of-bros.  I like that.

You are still dead to me though...
    tbergs said:
    Revised listing:

Pre Black Album:

Blackened
    Leper Messiah
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Seek & Destroy
    Damage Inc.

Honorable mention:

Creeping Death
    Master of Puppets
    Dyers Eve

Post Justice:

Enter Sandman
    The Outlaw Torn
    Frantic
    All Nightmare Long
    Moth Into the Flame

Honorable mention:

Bleeding Me
    Devil's Dance
    Sad But True

Solid choices.

Puppets gets a lot of love from me too.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    tbergs said:
    Of Wolf and Man 
    This is magic by the way

Of-bros

tbergs said:
    Of Wolf and Man 
    This is magic by the way

I think I saw them 3x on that tour.  Once was the tour with GnR which was a shit show.  They also came to Cleveland to Blossom, which was a lot of fun.  And the last time they played a total GA show at the Lee Civic Center in Ft Myers FL.  That was out and out madness.  The whole place was a moshpit, including the seats.  
  • tbergs said:
    Of Wolf and Man 
    This is magic by the way

Of-bros

Well...

https://youtu.be/vFX9sJwYwGA
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    Of Wolf and Man 
    This is magic by the way

I think I saw them 3x on that tour.  Once was the tour with GnR which was a shit show.  They also came to Cleveland to Blossom, which was a lot of fun.  And the last time they played a total GA show at the Lee Civic Center in Ft Myers FL.  That was out and out madness.  The whole place was a moshpit, including the seats.  
    ^that must have been awesome!!!

They had added another night to Nassau Coliseum and I went that night.  Had "taper section".  I begged to borrow a camcorder but no one was giving it up... Bastards.

Ended up trading our tix to a couple on the floor.  We pushed up until we were 10 rows away maybe?  Close enough to see the sweat pour off them!

I am still waiting to hear Breadfan live...  That is my white whale song.