****Official Metallica thread****

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    So my view on Napster. 
    The reason you have Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora and whatever the hell else u use to stream is because of them.  So THANK Metallica for that.

Also remember at the time bands made a ton on music sales. 

This was also the beginning of bands getting huge deals and most bands weren't getting anything like the deals that Madonna and U2 made.  You can also thank Napster for your high priced concert tix too.

What I was upset with was the ability to download any song from the site.  I searched PJ and found a ton of songs I'd never heard before like Won't Back Down for example.  Also songs that were long lost by other bands and out of print.  It was GREAT to get these.

Well, now we have Youtube and you can find almost anything and everything unless the band is a dickhead and takes it down.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,592
    hrd2imgn said:
    Why is everyone so mad at an artist/group being mad their music was being stolen?  So they didn't want to give away stuff they(with their label) spent millions producing/distributing makes them bad?  This wasn't like dubbing a cassette,  not even close, millions of  records not being sold, but being obtained illegally, oh sorry "shared".  Every artist should have been pissed.  Pearl Jam never gave albums away for free, they just didnt care people ripped them off and stole it.  Then everyone was like it isnt Napstets fault...they just made a platform, but gun companies just make guns they dont kill people is the same argument.

It is against the law, they didn't like their product being stolen.  The mob loved free shit, so it was the bands as bad guys....typical bassakwards thinking.
    Metallica are dicks for a bunch of reasons.  Who is “so mad” about it.  It’s just typically Metallica who goes the extra mile to be that way.  Rolling Stones sell tickets for outrageous prices, but at least you know it’s happening.  Metallica buys up its own tickets, colluding with Live Nation to do so, after they set the prices.  Did they decide they were too cheap after announcing or did they not want to reinforce the asshole image by having high prices to start?  Who can say, only Lars and James.  Dicks.  
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Tonight's one should be kinda cool. Salt Lake City Jan. '97
    Greatest era.

WHERES YOUR CROWN
    KING NOTHII-IIING

Is it only me, or is James vocals a bit low in the mix (only heard the first two songs).
    Justice tour 
    No Until it Sleeps on that tour. 

So, wrong.
    Zzzz... 

No jingoist Black songs on the Justice tour
    The loss of that tour to not get to hear DO YOU LIKE HEAVY?! METALLICA GIVES YOU HEAVY BABEEEEY!!
    😆
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,792
    Melbourne 2013 tonight.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited June 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    Why is everyone so mad at an artist/group being mad their music was being stolen?  So they didn't want to give away stuff they(with their label) spent millions producing/distributing makes them bad?  This wasn't like dubbing a cassette,  not even close, millions of  records not being sold, but being obtained illegally, oh sorry "shared".  Every artist should have been pissed.  Pearl Jam never gave albums away for free, they just didnt care people ripped them off and stole it.  Then everyone was like it isnt Napstets fault...they just made a platform, but gun companies just make guns they dont kill people is the same argument.

It is against the law, they didn't like their product being stolen.  The mob loved free shit, so it was the bands as bad guys....typical bassakwards thinking.
    Metallica are dicks for a bunch of reasons.  Who is “so mad” about it.  It’s just typically Metallica who goes the extra mile to be that way.  Rolling Stones sell tickets for outrageous prices, but at least you know it’s happening.  Metallica buys up its own tickets, colluding with Live Nation to do so, after they set the prices.  Did they decide they were too cheap after announcing or did they not want to reinforce the asshole image by having high prices to start?  Who can say, only Lars and James.  Dicks.  
    I don't think it is that easy. Metallica seem to do a lot for their fans too, like now during Corona. And when they tour they tour a lot. So if you are fan, it is almost like a service of them touring close to you. I guess it's only Africa they do not tour regularly on their long ass tours

They are not expecting every fan to fly to Berlin.

And I don't think them going against Napster was wrong. I don't remember the details though, so maybe Lars did something shitty back then. But stopping a software solely built around sharing stolen property... what's not to try and stop.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,705
    mrussel1 said:
    hrd2imgn said:

I don't think it is that easy. Metallica seem to do a lot for their fans too, like now during Corona. And when they tour they tour a lot. So if you are fan, it is almost like a service of them touring close to you. I guess it's only Africa they do not tour regularly on their long ass tours

And I don't think them going against Napster was wrong. I don't remember the details though, so maybe Lars did something shitty back then. But stopping a software solely built around sharing stolen property... what's not to try and stop.
    Lars' big misstep was getting the names of users that had downloaded Metallica (I was actually one of the ones that swiped the rough mix of "I Disappear") and making them (us) seem like enemies, when we're all just fans and it's really the people that made the software that he should've been going after. Which he did...afterward. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mrussel1 said:
    hrd2imgn said:

Lars' big misstep was getting the names of users that had downloaded Metallica (I was actually one of the ones that swiped the rough mix of "I Disappear") and making them (us) seem like enemies, when we're all just fans and it's really the people that made the software that he should've been going after. Which he did...afterward. 
    Yes! Exactly!
    edited June 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    hrd2imgn said:

I figured it was something like this. Him going after regular folks first. 

At the same time, from their perspective - why would a fan download stuff that has been stolen and leaked from them. Is that really a fan. Etc.

now I'm gonna listen to that Limp Bizkit MI2 song. 
    edited June 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    hrd2imgn said:

At the same time, from their perspective - why would a fan download stuff that has been stolen and leaked from them. Is that really a fan. Etc.

Yeah that's fair. I think what also ruffled their feathers was I Disappear wasn't even finished yet, and the rough mix was somehow leaked and available on Napster. That sort of thing would piss off any artist.

Side note, anyone else think the main riff from "I Disappear" sounds a lot like "Just A Girl" by PJ? That was my first thought when listening to the rough mix on Napster.

As for you being in Mission Impossible 2 Soundtrack mode now, I love the remix of Chris Cornell's "Mission" on that soundtrack. It was remixed as "Mission 2000." I've read that Chris hated the remix, but I love it. Movie soundtracks were awesome back in the day.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    Melbourne 2013 tonight.
    gonna pass on this one as well

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited June 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    hrd2imgn said:

Yeah that's fair. I think what also ruffled their feathers was I Disappear wasn't even finished yet, and the rough mix was somehow leaked and available on Napster. That sort of thing would piss off any artist.

Side note, anyone else think the main riff from "I Disappear" sounds a lot like "Just A Girl" by PJ? That was my first thought when listening to the rough mix on Napster.

As for you being in Mission Impossible 2 Soundtrack mode now, I love the remix of Chris Cornell's "Mission" on that soundtrack. It was remixed as "Mission 2000." I've read that Chris hated the remix, but I love it. Movie soundtracks were awesome back in the day.
    OH, never heard that one. 

I just remember from the MTV days, that when the Metallica song came on feeling "Oh... this one really falls in the shadow of the Limp Bizkit song that is a huge hit". But using the MI theme will do that I guess.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    mrussel1 said:
    hrd2imgn said:

OH, never heard that one. 

I just remember from the MTV days, that when the Metallica song came on feeling "Oh... this one really falls in the shadow of the Limp Bizkit song that is a huge hit". But using the MI theme will do that I guess.
    Check it out. It's pretty cool. I prefer it to the Euphoria Morning version. But like I said, Chris didn't....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqSz16Wgs_0

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

Metallica: Live in Bogotá, Colombia - May 2, 1999 (Full Concert)

Watch Metallica Live in San Francisco Tonight at 8 PM EDT  5 PM PDT on YouTube  Facebook
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    S&M 2 trailer premiers tomorrow at 9AM
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    S&M 2 trailer premiers tomorrow at 9AM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRCLe6_kBRc

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    edited July 2020
    S&M2 looks and feel as having as much heart and energy put into it as Superman IV: Quest for Peace. 

And as forgettable as The Hobbit trilogy

Don’t see the point ot it. 

They should have recorded in a cool looking classy place. They should have played a Unforgiven suite and Lars should not wear a fucking ball cap. 
    S&M2 looks and feel as having as much heart and energy put into it as Superman IV: Quest for Peace. 

They should have recorded in a cool looking classy place. They should have played a Unforgiven suite and Lars should not wear a fucking ball cap. 
    and how do you really feel? :tongue:

Berlin '06 tonight. Looking at the setlist, pretty solid. Played Master of Puppets in it's entirety 

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • NSLNSL Nashville, TN Posts: 291

Sorry you feel that way.  I went to the first night and it was definitely one of my favorite concerts i've ever attended.  
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
    edited July 2020

and how do you really feel? :tongue:

Berlin '06 tonight. Looking at the setlist, pretty solid. Played Master of Puppets in it's entirety 

The Berlin show was pretty great I must say.  Besides playing Master in it's entirety, They actually did a new song that they called "The New Song" which was pretty good

Post edited by eeriepadave on
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Happy birthday James Hetfield!

tonights show they are showing one from his birthday in Dallas in 2000
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    Drive in theater concert on 8/29.
    $115.00 a car, hard pass.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    Drive in theater concert on 8/29.
    $115.00 a car, hard pass.

very hard pass. nearest drive in near me is like over an hour away. Plus too expensive. I'll just watch their Monday night shows on youtube which have been pretty good. Last night was a show in Munich, Germnay from 2004 i think
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    We have a pop up drive in my town, so its easy to get to, but not paying $115.00 to sit in the car and basically watch a concert film.
    From what I gather its not even actually going to be live, shot and recorded ahead of time.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i will NEVER have an issue with metallica suing napster. they were stealing their product. i dont' give a shit if they were rich or poor. stealing is stealing. that's not being an asshole. that's wanting to be compensated for your work. 

guess you are not a fan of the song Hunger Strike then?
    lol, sure. let me know when soundgarden or pearl jam announce they are ok with fans stealing their music. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mrussel1 said:
    hrd2imgn said:

so supposed greed is an excuse to steal now? so every time you go to walmart or starbucks, you walk out without paying?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:
    hrd2imgn said:

so supposed greed is an excuse to steal now? so every time you go to walmart or starbucks, you walk out without paying?
    Yeah that's what I do and what I meant.  Nailed it.
    Last week of Metallica Monday’s 
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • NSLNSL Nashville, TN Posts: 291
    Great show for the last Metallica Monday.  Got my S&M 2 cd/blu ray in the mail today!  Can't wait to throw that on this weekend
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
    edited August 2020
    Watched For Whom the Bell Tolls from S&M2 on youtube.

Looks so fucking uninspired. The venue (a regular arena and not a cool, classy concert hall like the first one). The shots of the crowd. The band playing in that round stage setting and walking around. And that the camera-team doesn't seem to really have gone through shooting on a round stage beforehand, so a lot of the shots are messy. And all the ugly shot-in-shot stuff done in editing. Juck.

Looks like a chashgrab. Comes off as uninspired and forgettable as Unforgiven III.