****Official Metallica thread****

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    edited July 2019
    Let's vote on Metallica albums up until the Black one.  So no Load or Death Magnetic stuff.

Include re-revisited too.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
    1-Puppets
    2-Kill em all
    3-Justice
    4-Garage days
    5-Lightning
    6-Black album
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    Ranked them all just to show how much Justice doesn't do it for me.  Blackened, Justice, and One are great songs, the rest are filler to me.  Covers albums don't do anything for me either.  Load/Reload are just too bloated.  They could have made one album out of those.  The songs on St. Anger aren't terrible but the production makes that album hard to listen to.

1. Puppets
    2. Kill 'Em All
    3. Lightning
    4. Black album
    5. Death Magnetic
    6. Hardwired
    7. Justice
    8. Garage Days
    9. Load/Reload
    10. St. Anger

Billboard: Secretly Recorded Phone Call Offers Window Into How Live Nation Helped Metallica and Other Artists Place Ticke Billboard: Secretly Recorded Phone Call Offers Window Into How Live Nation Helped Metallica and Other Artists Place Tickets.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8521538/live-nation-resale-market-secretly-recorded-phone-calls-concert-tickets
    I always knew this was happening.  It's nice to know that my black helicopter feeling wasn't false.
    So yes the demand for concert tickets is there and there are plenty of people who will pay high prices, enough to sell out most shows.  However, once you go this route concerts become something only for the rich.  Middle class fans of the band are effectively shut out of the concert experience.  The difference with sporting events is that almost all sports are on TV and so you can still watch the games.  Concerts are not broadcast so you are out of luck if you ever want to see your favorite bands.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

Billboard: Secretly Recorded Phone Call Offers Window Into How Live Nation Helped Metallica and Other Artists Place Ticke Billboard: Secretly Recorded Phone Call Offers Window Into How Live Nation Helped Metallica and Other Artists Place Tickets.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8521538/live-nation-resale-market-secretly-recorded-phone-calls-concert-tickets
    I always knew this was happening.  It's nice to know that my black helicopter feeling wasn't false.
    So yes the demand for concert tickets is there and there are plenty of people who will pay high prices, enough to sell out most shows.  However, once you go this route concerts become something only for the rich.  Middle class fans of the band are effectively shut out of the concert experience.  The difference with sporting events is that almost all sports are on TV and so you can still watch the games.  Concerts are not broadcast so you are out of luck if you ever want to see your favorite bands.
    What about the working class?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Ranked them all just to show how much Justice doesn't do it for me.  Blackened, Justice, and One are great songs, the rest are filler to me.  Covers albums don't do anything for me either.  Load/Reload are just too bloated.  They could have made one album out of those.  The songs on St. Anger aren't terrible but the production makes that album hard to listen to.

1. Puppets
    2. Kill 'Em All
    3. Lightning
    4. Black album
    5. Death Magnetic
    6. Hardwired
    7. Justice
    8. Garage Days
    9. Load/Reload
    10. St. Anger
    Harvester of sorrow > One
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958

Problem is technology has made it much easier for good seats to get to their full market value. If bands don't figure out how to capture that money, it just goes to scalpers. Few bands commandeer so many good seats (and work hard to limit scalping) as Pearl Jam does.

At this point, if you want to see an arena show or up, you're gonna pony up. Especially if you want to be up close. The solution for the cost conscious is to keep your ears open and find bands you can see in clubs for 20 or 30 bucks. Seeing Fleetwood Mac from the 10th row isn't a basic human right.

1. Puppets
    2. Kill 'Em All
    3. Lightning
    4. Black album
    5. Death Magnetic
    6. Hardwired
    7. Justice
    8. Garage Days
    9. Load/Reload
    10. St. Anger
    To Live is To Die and Dyers Eve are absolute classics.  The middle of To Live when they turn the volume up and down on their guitars and Kurts solo?  Man I'm getting chills just thinking about that.

MASTER OF PUPPETS (1986). Starts off as strong as Ride the Lightning but is not as strong throughout. The ”second half slump” is felt. 

MASTER OF PUPPETS (1986). Starts off as strong as Ride the Lightning but is not as strong throughout. The ”second half slump” is felt. 
    The second side is the BEST side!!!  Orion is a damn masterpiece amongst the others on that side!!!

You love production and KISS so this album must not be for you...

Puppets won "Metal Album of the year" awards from a few publications and ranks higher than the other Metallica albums, but I can't make you change your mind...

You are nuts
    edited July 2019

The second side is the BEST side!!!  Orion is a damn masterpiece amongst the others on that side!!!

Puppets won "Metal Album of the year" awards from a few publications and ranks higher than the other Metallica albums, but I can't make you change your mind...

You are nuts
    And Bono thought The Fixer was excellent.

EDIT: Id say the first three of side A and the first two on side B is Where its at. Throw in Orion If you want three from both sides. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

1. Puppets
    2. Kill 'Em All
    3. Lightning
    4. Black album
    5. Death Magnetic
    6. Hardwired
    7. Justice
    8. Garage Days
    9. Load/Reload
    10. St. Anger
    To Live is To Die and Dyers Eve are absolute classics.  The middle of To Live when they turn the volume up and down on their guitars and Kurts solo?  Man I'm getting chills just thinking about that.
    Yeah, just could never get into that album...I've tried many times.

1. Puppets
    2. Kill 'Em All
    3. Lightning
    4. Black album
    5. Death Magnetic
    6. Hardwired
    7. Justice
    8. Garage Days
    9. Load/Reload
    10. St. Anger
    Yeah, just could never get into that album...I've tried many times.
    I will say that it does listen different for me now too but the constant I have is To live/Dyers.  Beautiful songs.

The hammer that is the last song goes out as fast as it started which is just great.

You are nuts

EDIT: Id say the first three of side A and the first two on side B is Where its at. Throw in Orion If you want three from both sides. 
    You are dead to me...

You are nuts

You are dead to me...
    I'll get resurrected, sooner or later.

..AND JUSTICE FOR ALL (1988). Maybe it’s the songs being a few minutes too long but I find it hard keeping the interest during some of them. And it sounds more stale than earlier albums. ”One” is the bands most overrated song. Harvester of Sorrow is a gem. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

You are nuts

You are dead to me...
    I don't think there is a single wrong or bad note on that entire album. Pure musical domination. Side B is the f-ing best! Damage Inc. is their best heavy song, hands down. I played that cassette non-stop. Nothing like flipping back to Side A and Battery after finishing the beast of Damage Inc.
    It's a hopeless situation...

..AND JUSTICE FOR ALL (1988). Maybe it’s the songs being a few minutes too long but I find it hard keeping the interest during some of them. And it sounds more stale than earlier albums. ”One” is the bands most overrated song. Harvester of Sorrow is a gem. 
    That resurrection is going o be a little longer now, lol.

When One came out it was an event.  There was an actual video.  It was a big deal.

They were on the damn grammys for gods sake!!!!  No metal band plays the grammys?!?  Yet, there they were on stage for almost 7 minutes playing as awesome as they could and performed One.

They exploded in popularity after that.

But yes, the songs are a little long at times.
    tbergs said:

You are nuts

You are dead to me...
    I don't think there is a single wrong or bad note on that entire album. Pure musical domination. Side B is the f-ing best! Damage Inc. is their best heavy song, hands down. I played that cassette non-stop. Nothing like flipping back to Side A and Battery after finishing the beast of Damage Inc.
    I'm not surprised that more people aren't killing him for this, seriously.

Puppets is a masterpiece.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    tbergs said:

You are nuts

You are dead to me...

Yes it is.... Leper Messiah, The Thing That Should Not Be. That whole album just kicks ass....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

Attaway77 said:
    tbergs said:

You are nuts

You are dead to me...

Yes it is.... Leper Messiah, The Thing That Should Not Be. That whole album just kicks ass....
    Two nice songs.
    Greg Fidelman, I like the way the music sounds when he produces, it just has a fullness to it (if that makes any sense). He did the last Slipknot album and the new one as well, and they both sound badass... 
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

Attaway77 said:
    Greg Fidelman, I like the way the music sounds when he produces, it just has a fullness to it (if that makes any sense). He did the last Slipknot album and the new one as well, and they both sound badass... 
    Lulu ?
    Attaway77 said:
    Lulu ?
    Ha!! Hey man, the musicians create the music. I've never actually listened to that album in full so I have no clue how it sounds. Heard a few brief seconds here and there, just never dove into it.

edited July 2019

SELF-TITLED (1991). AKA ”The Black Album” AKA ”When Metallica ended”. There are some albums that have so many classic songs and singles that it feels like a Greatest Hits album. Nevermind is one example of that - this is another. Hard to not consider this a masterpiece and Metallicas peak. Whatever those ”only Metallicas 80s albums count”-headbangers say. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    edited July 2019

LOAD (1996). There is a pretty great album here surrounded by a lot of bloat - whether from overconfidence coming off the success of The Black Album or from the band being lost. Keep the first seven songs and then skip to The Outlaw Torn and you have a really solid album. Until it Sleeps is one of their best songs.
    edited July 2019

SELF-TITLED (1991). AKA ”The Black Album” AKA ”When Metallica ended”. There are some albums that have so many classic songs and singles that it feels like a Greatest Hits album. Nevermind is one example of that - this is another. Hard to not consider this a masterpiece and Metallicas peak. Whatever those ”only Metallicas 80s albums count”-headbangers say. 
    How this gets a 5 and puppets a 3 is beyond me...

Still a good album though.  My guess would be that this album was your introduction to the band?

*edit:  I wanted to add that the solo in Unforgiven is one of Hammets finest moments.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on

LOAD (1996). There is a pretty great album here surrounded by a lot of bloat - whether from overconfidence coming off the success of The Black Album or from the band being lost. Keep the first seven songs and then skip to The Outlaw Torn and you have a really solid album. Until it Sleeps is one of their best songs.
    Until it Sleeps is a very underrated song.

How this gets a 5 and puppets a 3 is beyond me...

Still a good album though.  My guess would be that this album was your introduction to the band?

*edit:  I wanted to add that the solo in Unforgiven is one of Hammets finest moments.
    Hmm. Was it.. I remember listening to Master of Puppets at a friends house when I was 11-12 and looking at his Ride the Lightning poster... and before that I remember us kids choosing between a live VHS of a Metallica show and a live VHS of a Guns show to watch while drinking lemonade. Must have been like 8-9 at the time.

But ofc the songs from the Black album are in large part what you heard on MTV. They are just so perfectly crafted. As I said, sounds like a Greatest Hits album. Like Nevermind and Ten also does.

I will say that Metallicas greatest release all in all though is:

edited July 2019

Until it Sleeps is a very underrated song.
    It's amazing.

https://youtu.be/GAKu0z980kU