Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited July 2019
    I saw the Neil Young & Crazy Horse shows in Winnipeg in February and thought they were fantastic.  I'm excited to see Neil tour with Crazy Horse in 2020.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I have always really, really loved this song. It’s one of those tracks that just makes me stop whatever I’m doing and concentrate only on listening to it.

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    goldrush said:
    For anyone that missed it:

Have they replayed this yet?
    cutz said:
    goldrush said:

No, not yet.
    Still waiting...

(Tim Rogers)
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    goldrush said:
    cutz said:
    goldrush said:

No, not yet.
    Still waiting...
    Okay, Thanks!

I like NYA website but i find it difficult to navigate. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    PARADOX is on swedish netflix.... 

Is it worth fighting my way through it?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Man this is just... weird in a not good way... 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Did you make it to the end?

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Did you make it to the end?
    Yeah. I watched it all through. Laughed when Willy showed up. 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, some interesting stuff there.  Except when he talks about how the song was so profound that "back in 1971 they didn't get it".  WTF, dude?*  I was there.  My friends were there.  We got it

Sorry, Thoughts, don't mean to rant, and I do love it that a younger generation is carrying on the legacy of Neil Young, but that part was just too off the wall and totally incorrect.

*the video dude, not you Thoughts!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    All good Brian, I know.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    All good Brian, I know.
    I knew you'd understand where I was coming from.  Cheers!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

This was posted in one of the NY Facebook groups and I thought it was worth sharing here. It's a really interesting take on Neil's work, sampling his vocals and melodies but laying them over hip hop beats.

It's probably not something that everyone will be into, but I really like it. You can download the whole album for free on Bandcamp.

https://dannyfal.bandcamp.com/album/beats-never-rust

"Beats Never Rust is a project taking a journey through Neil Young's past, but in a hip-hop perspective. Originated by Mike O'Brien and Danny Falsafi, the idea began as a 20-minute tribute to Neil Young in an attempt to capture the human's attention span at it's limit. As time passed, however, the songs expanded- becoming longer and more intricate. The brainchild of the project is Mike O'Brien, an avid Neil Young fan and someone not afraid to dive into crates of samples. Stopping not only at album recordings, Michael reached into Neil's catalog taking from such regions as: live recordings, bootlegs, and string quartet / piano tributes. To finish it off, Michael's last duty was to search for Neil quotes to scatter throughout the album to give it more of a hip-hop feel. Danny Fal, a hip hop producer of over 10 years, was dragged out of retirement for the project. Influenced heavily by Rza, Dr. Dre, and DJ Premier, Danny dusted off his Windows computer and opened up Acid Pro on April 7th to sample Cowgirl in the Sand. Towards the end of the beat-making process O'Brien turned to Danny and mentioned the idea of a 20-minute hip-hop tribute to the Godfather of Grunge. Over the course of the next two months, the duo dedicated their time to Neil, hip-hop, and Dutch Masters. To add a cherry on the top, O'Brien enlisted the help of a friend with the same name as him, Mike O'Brien, to create an album cover. Taking once again from Neil, the other Mike O'Brien was instructed to draw a hipper version of Neil's infamous "Rust Never Sleeps" and banged it out in a matter of minutes. Lastly, while the duo focused on simplicity and authenticity they brought in one outside force for the music on the album. Trumpet player of The New Retro- a bluesy funk-rock band from College Park, MD managed by Mike O'Brien- Dave Matthews blew his horn on a few tracks. Much like the other Mike O'Brien being able to bang out a drawing with 1 or 2 simple instructions, Dave came into the "studio," heard 3 songs, and in return played the songs by ear note by note." 

(Tim Rogers)
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Colorado!!!!!!!!
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Been listening to a lot of Neil lately. Broken Arrow is just a great Crazy Horse record. Really enjoying Prairie Wind and Chrome Dreams II as well. Some of Neil's 2000's output is pretty stellar, with some of the usual dips in quality.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    Edved82 said:
    Been listening to a lot of Neil lately. Broken Arrow is just a great Crazy Horse record. Really enjoying Prairie Wind and Chrome Dreams II as well. Some of Neil's 2000's output is pretty stellar, with some of the usual dips in quality.
    Broken Arrow is so fine!  A few less favorite numbers for me on the flip side, but side one is monstrously good.  That extended monochromatic jam on "Loose Change" is sonic ecstasy to my ears and brain.

Edved82 said:
    Praire Wind had some PR-machinery behind it when released. Was talked about like a third Harvest/harvest Moon. But it felt flat for me with some bland, forgettable songs.

Silver & Gold is the true end of that "trilogy".
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    S&G is a classic as far as I'm concerned. Probably his last real classic for me. He's had some good records since, but no classics. 

Eh, maybe Le Noise is a classic too. 

edited July 2019
    Living with War got a lot of attention on release and is also very-very good.

I would call it one of his later classics. I would want to say Are You Passionate also, but maybe only because I'm biased.
    Lets hope this falls Crazy Horse is a future classic and sounds more like Everybody knows this is nowhere/Broken Arrow than Pzzzycadelic Pill
    agreed. But I haven't been a fan of his song writing for a while now, so i'm not optimistic.

Two ‘Colorado’ updates today.
    Side 1, track 2, is 13 minutes long.
    There’s an accompanying film showing the making of the album

(Tim Rogers)
    Neil Young isn't as interesting in long songs as he thinks he is.
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249

Le Noise is great, never heard anything else quite like it. 

Thought Psychedelic Pill was a great album, and I also really enjoyed Peace Trail. it's strangely quirky and Jim Keltner does a fantastic job on drums as always.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    Edved82 said:

Le Noise is great, never heard anything else quite like it. 

Thought Psychedelic Pill was a great album, and I also really enjoyed Peace Trail. it's strangely quirky and Jim Keltner does a fantastic job on drums as always.
    I love Le Noise. I agree that it may be his last real classic album, but there’s a lot Psychedelic Pill to love too. Ramada Inn is one of my favourite songs from the last decade

(Tim Rogers)
    No more tours this year. Neil will be working on some Archives film projects for the rest of 2019

(Tim Rogers)