The Golf Thread

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,834
    It's torrential here on the west coast and it's moving straight up northeast.

Jeez...87 for JB.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,730
    eddiec said:
    Jeez...87 for JB.
    If I improve significantly, I could compete with that score! 🤣
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    Happy for Shane Lowry.   Would love the chance to play a major championship course setup for a major.  I'm sure I'd break every club in my bag in anger, but would be fun to see just how far off I would be.  I doubt I could break 120 on that course.
    Happy for Shane Lowry.   Would love the chance to play a major championship course setup for a major.  I'm sure I'd break every club in my bag in anger, but would be fun to see just how far off I would be.  I doubt I could break 120 on that course.
    On a warm, sunny day you would no problem. But when the wind kicks up, those links courses are nasty.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,956
    bbiggs said:
    JojoRice said:
    JojoRice said:
    Shot my lowest round ever today. 77

That is awesome!   You can't have many hiccups to get that score.

I'm getting hopeful to break that 80 barrier sometime this year.  Got my handicap down to 11.6 today with an 85.   The short game is there.  Right now the 20 - 80 yard pitch shots are killing me.  Just need to go to a course when it isn't busy and bounce around and just hit those shots (a lot more fun than a range). Although you gotta fix all the ball marks.

Thanks! I had a couple birdies that helped and a couple long par putts too that I got. 

Keep up the good work! Im at a 10.2 handicap myself. Trying to get in single digits and stay there. Short game has killed me lately. 
    Those long par putts are huge.  Now what did you get on 18?  Must have been feeling the pressure.
    I’ve had a few rounds over the years where I needed par or bogey to break 80. Definitely gets the nerves up. It’s crazy when you think about the pressure your pros are faced with. But they’re used to it. 
    lol, I've NEVER broke 80 for this reason.  Had to Bogey out, even DOUBLE bogey out and couldn't do it...80 is my best score multiple times...

I've since given up golf too.  Not sure how well I'd play now.

Anybody see Koepca complain about his playing partner and his "set up"  It's worth a listen if you haven't yet!
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,734
    bbiggs said:
    JojoRice said:
    JojoRice said:
    Shot my lowest round ever today. 77

That is awesome!   You can't have many hiccups to get that score.

I'm getting hopeful to break that 80 barrier sometime this year.  Got my handicap down to 11.6 today with an 85.   The short game is there.  Right now the 20 - 80 yard pitch shots are killing me.  Just need to go to a course when it isn't busy and bounce around and just hit those shots (a lot more fun than a range). Although you gotta fix all the ball marks.

Thanks! I had a couple birdies that helped and a couple long par putts too that I got. 

Keep up the good work! Im at a 10.2 handicap myself. Trying to get in single digits and stay there. Short game has killed me lately. 
    Those long par putts are huge.  Now what did you get on 18?  Must have been feeling the pressure.
    I’ve had a few rounds over the years where I needed par or bogey to break 80. Definitely gets the nerves up. It’s crazy when you think about the pressure your pros are faced with. But they’re used to it. 
    lol, I've NEVER broke 80 for this reason.  Had to Bogey out, even DOUBLE bogey out and couldn't do it...80 is my best score multiple times...

I've since given up golf too.  Not sure how well I'd play now.

Anybody see Koepca complain about his playing partner and his "set up"  It's worth a listen if you haven't yet!
    Love it.  JB Holmes is the worst...probably the slowest player on tour.  And he shot an 87 yesterday so even more shots for him to stare at for 2 mins before swinging the club.
    The Tour should do something about it, but the Tour is beholden to the players (makes sense) so it will never happen. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    “What I don’t understand is when it’s your turn to hit, your glove is not on, then you start thinking about it, that’s where the problem lies. It’s not that he takes that long. He doesn’t do anything until his turn. That’s the frustrating part. But he’s not the only one that does it out here."

I feel like I am always stuck behind foursomes who play like this. So frustrating. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    THere was a senior golfer interviewed by Feherty I think.  Can’t recall his name.  But someone told a story that when they were a rookie they were paired with him.  At the end of the round the rooking said something to the effect “I hope I didn’t mess up your round with my bad shots”.  THe older golfer replied, “I never looked at any of your shots.”  

You can look at your playing partners shots, but damnit be ready to go when it is your turn.  
    Was 3 over par the last 11 holes today.  Too bad the first 7 holes were not pretty.  Ended up with an 85.  Still stoked about the finish.  If I could have continued on playing those first 7 holes I have no doubt I would have broken 80.  That isn't how it works though.  The quest continues. 
    That's a good round bootlegger.

My quest will start up again tomorrow morning after a few weeks lay off. Been battling a herniated disc in my lower back the last couple months. Coincidentally it has coincided with my game slowly deteriorating. Getting an injection in a couple weeks. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    That is really frustrating (herniated disc).  Hopefully the injection fixes the probably.  No fun to be playing well and have good swing thoughts and ideas, and then not be able to play or practice.      I’ve had some neck issues for the first time this year that have sidelined me for about 10 days at a time.  I try to do my stretching exercises every day and even have a sign on my desk at work that says “posture” to remember to sit up straight and stretch my neck.  We’ll see how it works long term.
    That is really frustrating (herniated disc).  Hopefully the injection fixes the probably.  No fun to be playing well and have good swing thoughts and ideas, and then not be able to play or practice.      I’ve had some neck issues for the first time this year that have sidelined me for about 10 days at a time.  I try to do my stretching exercises every day and even have a sign on my desk at work that says “posture” to remember to sit up straight and stretch my neck.  We’ll see how it works long term.
    Getting older sucks man. I've been dealing with this off and on for a year. Pretty pissed that my ortho waited until just a few weeks ago to order an mri. Should've been done when I last say him in March. I blame him for my handicap going up recently. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    During my round on Sunday I hit every fairway. My longest approach on a par 4 was 170 yards (playing one tee box up from the tips). I still carded an 80. Just couldn't give myself any reasonable looks on the green. The course we played has the greens rolling at about 12 on the stimp meter. There are a couple LPGA players that play out there (I'm in JAX FL) and they've asked the course why they have it rolling like that for amateurs haha.

Just one of those frustrating rounds where one thing is absolutely clicking but you can't score. If you told me I'd hit every fairway and my longest approach would be 170 yards I'd tell you I'd be right around even par. 
    Getting old is frustrating.  

Golf is frustrating.  A lot of say if I could only get all my drives in play.  Well, when they do, the irons go.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,928
    What is the longest iron that everyone is playing? I still carry a 4 iron in the bag but I use it so rarely I’m thinking about ditching it for a 23 degree hybrid.  I know guys that don’t have anything above a 6 iron in the bag. And one of them is a 2 handicap. 
    edited July 2019
    Five iron is the lowest I have.  I wish I had a 4 iron but probably right at the end of the day.  My five iron distance is about 175 to 185 yds.  Not a long hitter.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    I'm probably in the minority. I carry a 2 iron. I don't get along with hybrids for some reason.
    bflynn1 said:
    I'm probably in the minority. I carry a 2 iron. I don't get along with hybrids for some reason.
    That club sure is pretty looking. You really have trouble hitting hybrids?  I’ve heard some people say that, but it’s so foreign to me, especially when comparing with a 2 iron lol. You must be a high speed player to hit that thing effectively. I used to love my 3 iron. That was a long time ago. I think I’ll be saying the same about my 4 soon. 
    Five iron is the lowest I have.  I wish I had a 4 iron but probably right at the end of the day.  My five iron distance is about 175 to 185 yds.  Not a long hitter.
    Do you play more fairway woods or hybrids?  Right now I’m driver, 3W, 19* hybrid, then my irons. Soon to add 23*. 
    edited July 2019
    bbiggs said:
    bflynn1 said:
    That club sure is pretty looking. You really have trouble hitting hybrids?  I’ve heard some people say that, but it’s so foreign to me, especially when comparing with a 2 iron lol. You must be a high speed player to hit that thing effectively. I used to love my 3 iron. That was a long time ago. I think I’ll be saying the same about my 4 soon. 
    Yeah i have a high swing speed and i use heavy 132g shafts in my irons. I think part of the problem is that most hybrid shafts are too light for what I need. I could probably find one that's a good fit but I love being able to hit long irons so I figure why mess with it right now.

My bag is Driver, 3 wood, 2 iron (for driving on tighter/shorter holes), then 4-PW, 52, 56, 60. Putter.
    edited July 2019
    bbiggs said:
    Do you play more fairway woods or hybrids?  Right now I’m driver, 3W, 19* hybrid, then my irons. Soon to add 23*. 
    I am the same.  Driver, 3 wood, 19 hybrid, and then I think my 4 hybrid is 23 degrees.  

Woods and hybrids are very inconsistent for me.  Sometimes it feels like I can’t hit anything but great, and then sometimes I can’t hit them at all.  Right now I am really happy with them. I like the higher trajectory of the hybrid, or at least being easier to hit higher.  Much more forgiving.
    bflynn1 said:
    Do you change your own shafts out and all that club repair/adjusting yourself?
    bflynn1 said:
    I don't. My fitter used to work on one of the tour vans and he knows all my specs so I just let him do it all. I'd like to learn sometime though. 
    bflynn1 said:
    bflynn1 said:
    I don't. My fitter used to work on one of the tour vans and he knows all my specs so I just let him do it all. I'd like to learn sometime though. 
    Awesome.  You are a few levels and then some above me.  I would love to know my specs like that and understand my swing that well.      
    Haha, in his words regarding my equipment, "you basically just need your irons to feel like a mini sledge hammer, and bent 1 degree upright. Driver needs to be Taylormade or Callaway because they make the heaviest heads." Then he just fit me for the shafts in my woods and I was good to go.

My iron shafts are Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 which are 132g stiff.

My fitter makes his own shafts for woods so I have those in my driver and 3 wood. Driver is 70g and 3 wood is 75g. Both stiff.
    edited July 2019
    Sounds like a great resource.   I snapped my new TM driver in half a few weeks ago and just said “can you put a new shaft on it” to the pro shop.  I am not good enough to notice a difference.
    bflynn1 said:
    Haha, in his words regarding my equipment, "you basically just need your irons to feel like a mini sledge hammer, and bent 1 degree upright. Driver needs to be Taylormade or Callaway because they make the heaviest heads." Then he just fit me for the shafts in my woods and I was good to go.

My fitter makes his own shafts for woods so I have those in my driver and 3 wood. Driver is 70g and 3 wood is 75g. Both stiff.
    I’m not nearly at your skill level, but I’m also very specific in my equipment (I.e. shaft weight, kick point, overall swing weight, lie angle, etc.). My irons are bent 2 degrees upright and I am currently playing KBS Tour 120 gram shafts.  I used to play S300 at 127 grams which was fine, but the high kick point gave me too low of a ball flight. The KBS has a lower kick point so I get a higher launch. It’s kind of nerdy being so technical but I love it. It’s fun to tinker with clubs. 
    bbiggs said:
    bflynn1 said:

I’m not nearly at your skill level, but I’m also very specific in my equipment (I.e. shaft weight, kick point, overall swing weight, lie angle, etc.). My irons are bent 2 degrees upright and I am currently playing KBS Tour 120 gram shafts.  I used to play S300 at 127 grams which was fine, but the high kick point gave me too low of a ball flight. The KBS has a lower kick point so I get a higher launch. It’s kind of nerdy being so technical but I love it. It’s fun to tinker with clubs. 
    Yeah I have a naturally high ball flight so the S400's bring it down a little bit for me, which helps. My irons are progressively weighted throughout the set so my PW is the heaviest swing weight and then it progressively gets a tiny bit lighter as you work your way down. 

My wedges have KBS C-Taper 130x shafts and I like the way they feel in those clubs.