The Golf Thread

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I think if Tiger wins The Open it will be the greatest win of his career.  The dude is more part time at his job than Pearl Jam right now.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    bflynn1 said:
    Rory, Henrik, Molinari, and Tiger as a dark horse for me since I'm a fanboy... haha
    Molinari would not surprise me at all. 
    I think if Tiger wins The Open it will be the greatest win of his career.  The dude is more part time at his job than Pearl Jam right now.
    Haha!! This is a great comparison. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I think he’s being more realistic about what his body can handle knowing that regular tour wins don’t mean anything for his legacy. 

I think he he can compete in the masters and British for the next decade. The other two are going to be tough with the recent set ups 
    Yeah.  Pretty clear his body can’t handle a full schedule.   
    Tiger was practicing in the rain today.  Must be feeling pretty good or needed practice that bad. 
    I ended up in a lot of pools for this one 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Tiger was practicing in the rain today.  Must be feeling pretty good or needed practice that bad. 
    Wind must have changed with the rain. He gave a presser earlier this week about learning the different winds of the course. That could be why.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Tiger over Rory...I like the idea of that!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Quadruple bogey on hole 1 for the Irishman. Fuck, even I can do that and as i learned yesterday, I'm an even worse golfer than I thought I was.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    I think he’s being more realistic about what his body can handle knowing that regular tour wins don’t mean anything for his legacy. 

I think he he can compete in the masters and British for the next decade. The other two are going to be tough with the recent set ups 
    I think it does means something to beat Snead’s record, though it’s probably a given at this point. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

I think it does means something to beat Snead’s record, though it’s probably a given at this point. 
    Ask Tiger which record he cares about

There’s only one 
    bbiggs said:

There’s only one 
    One and only one number he cares about.  Also, if he beats that number he also beats the Snead number, so yeah, I'd say he cares about 4 tournaments a year and only 4 tournaments a year.

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Rory.  Yikes.
    If Brooks or Fleetwood play well but you don't see it, did they actually play well?
    If Brooks or Fleetwood play well but you don't see it, did they actually play well?
    #1 player in the world and they're barely showing him.  Starting to now that he's 1 shot back but I guess being 2 back didn't make it feel necessary for golf channel.  Just brutal.
    So is Tiger a one trick pony?   Masters or bust from here on out?   If he can't do well at Pebble then he is done on any U.S. Open course.
    edited July 2019

Wow. Talk about stating the obvious.

He's most likely not breaking Jack's record at this point. But having the all-time wins record means something for his legacy though.

Obviously he cares more about the majors, as we do, than anything else. Thought everyone just assumed that. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hopefully J.B. Holmes puts up a big number tomorrow....don't want to watch this guy play all weekend.  He is the worst....so damn slow.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    So is Tiger a one trick pony?   Masters or bust from here on out?   If he can't do well at Pebble then he is done on any U.S. Open course.

he’s a no trick pony.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Who else but Wobbie?

Wow. Talk about stating the obvious.

He's most likely not breaking Jack's record at this point. But having the all-time wins record means something for his legacy though.

Obviously he cares more about the majors, as we do, than anything else. Thought everyone just assumed that. 
    Don't see it.  He is either the best golfer ever or the 2nd best.  I think he's the best, but dude could go with the PR Open or John Deere and not one thing about his legacy is different. 
    I think this is one he can win again, though he's gonna need to get lucky with weather.

He's not winning a US Open.  Looking at the PGA sites, Aronomink would be one, but he'll be old as dirt by then.  I think Master's and if he gets lucky, this one.

Having the most wins though at least adds an accomplishment for the GOAT argument. 

I don't believe that Tiger could win a John Deere or PR Open.  Too easy of a course and there would be a lot of low scores even with a weaker field.  

edited July 2019

Having the most wins though at least adds an accomplishment for the GOAT argument. 

I don't believe that Tiger could win a John Deere or PR Open.  Too easy of a course and there would be a lot of low scores even with a weaker field.  

True. Like the web.com or whatever it's called.

He's not beating Snead in the GOAT argument and already has more wins than Jack so don't see how it impacts it in the least.  Say he won the John Deere, would your opinion of TIger change one TIIIIIINNNNY bit?

True. Like the web.com or whatever it's called.

He's not beating Snead in the GOAT argument and already has more wins than Jack so don't see how it impacts it in the least.  Say he won the John Deere, would your opinion of TIger change one TIIIIIINNNNY bit?

No. But in a hundred years from now it will be an important stat for his legacy.
    Why?
    edited July 2019
    Why?
    A hundred years from now, how many people, even golf fans, will sit and watch the 1997 masters on youtube (or some other platform)?
    Probably not many, if any. But they will look at the numbers. Let's say Tiger finishes his career with 20 more PGA wins, (and the most of all time), but 2 less majors than Jack. I think that will be the argument in determining the GOAT in people's eyes. The fact that Tiger won 25% of the tournaments he entered in his prime will come second to that.

Edit: By 20 more PGA wins, I mean 20 more than Jack.
    Post edited by eddiec on
    eddiec said:
    Why?
    A hundred years from now, how many people, even golf fans, will sit and watch the 1997 masters on youtube (or some other platform)?
    Probably not many, if any. But they will look at the numbers. Let's say Tiger finishes his career with 20 more PGA wins, (and the most of all time), but 2 less majors than Jack. I think that will be the argument in determining the GOAT in people's eyes. The fact that Tiger won 25% of the tournaments he entered in his prime will come second to that.

Edit: By 20 more PGA wins, I mean 20 more than Jack.
    yep
    chinese-happy.jpg