The Golf Thread

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    bbiggs said:
    Impressive stuff out of Woodland. 
    And those shoes are fantastic
    They’ll be sold out everywhere. Fantastic shoes. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

Congrats to Woodland.  I don't know how the pros can keep their nerve when the margin for error is so small. 

You shouldn't feel good if you are a shorter hitter.   This was a course that was supposed to even the playing field and the top two are longer hitters on the tour. 

Stop raining!  GD this spring is rain, rain, rain.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Fuck yeah woodland. Was a fun night last night 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722

Yeah that was awesome.  And to do it on Father's Day after all the shit him and his family have been through just makes it that much sweeter.  

Yeah that was awesome.  And to do it on Father's Day after all the shit him and his family have been through just makes it that much sweeter.  
    Yeah, man. Mentioned the other day too, I was with a buddy who won $6k on it.  $200 pool, 30 people. Winner takes all. Was a draft and he knows nothing about golf so just said, give me whoever is next best...he was 27 out of 30 and boom, Woodland.  Bastard.
    No complaints about the USGA from the players which is a bit disappointing. I wish it would have played a little harder, but there were some big scores out there and there isn't much they could have done.  Just a short course with small greens and the weather made it easy.  Good tournament all around.
    It gets a little old week to week hearing the announcers say it is an impossible up and down and then the pro usually does it.  This week it was nice to see the players miss in the wrong place and see their chips or pitches roll 15 feet past.  Not as often as it should in a U.S. Open but the weather didn’t dry the greens as much.
    It gets a little old week to week hearing the announcers say it is an impossible up and down and then the pro usually does it.  This week it was nice to see the players miss in the wrong place and see their chips or pitches roll 15 feet past.  Not as often as it should in a U.S. Open but the weather didn’t dry the greens as much.
    Yeah, agreed.  Chipping contests are boring in pro golf, they all get up and down.
    That’s why our odds of getting tickets are so low! Losers 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    I won this at the auction for this course near me that closed up shop last year. Was open for decades and I really loved playing it. Was a nice public course about 10 minutes away. Used it to really learn how to play the game over the last five years. 

15th hole had an elevated tee box and, on a clear day, you could see the Philly skyline in the distance about 12 miles away. Short par 4. Fun hole to play. 

Had it set last week when I was getting a drain installed at the same time. Surprisingly, the wife is okay with it!

chinese-happy.jpg
    That is a great idea.  Looks really good there in the yard.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

ed243421 said:

I should add a ball washer back there next. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    This Irish open course is awesome 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited July 2019
    I've played it several times. It really is an amazing place. The town is a big surfing spot as well.

Post edited by eddiec on
    eddiec said:
    I've played it several times. It really is an amazing place. The town is a big surfing spot as well.

I meant to ask if you had. That’s fucking awesome. Pretty solid position up there too. You got a beautiful country dude. Hell of a pic

That dune par 3 is one of the coolest holes I have ever seen. I read about it in the golfers journal a while back and seeing it on tv is cool as shit.

eddiec said:

Is that you or a young Ben Hogan?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Played Gateway National in East St. Louis earlier this week.  Really nice course if anyone reading this is around St. Louis and a cheap rate.    Anyway, first hole I eagled from about 90 yards in the fairway!  I got rid of negative numbers on the next hole but still cool.  Ended with an 84 so getting closer to that magic number of 79 (5 shots is a lot though).  

Then of course I aggravated my neck just brushing my teeth this morning so I won’t be able to play for another week probably.   Been the story of this golf season.  Play 4-5 times, aggravate neck and take 10 days off.  Repeat.  
    edited July 2019
    RIP FDR, you horrible dump you. Always sad to see a muni go, no matter how shitty it was. Was my go to for almost a decade, especially before my career got going and cheaper was more important than nice. 5 minutes from my house in Philly and cheap. Has gone waaaaaay down hill from an already shitty place the past few years.p

will be pouring one out on the course before it closes.
    Sad to see a course close.  Especially a muni course where all people could play and enjoy rather than a few.  Lots of memories out there. Like a ballpark being torn down.
    Champions Tour event was a lot more entertaining than the PGA tourney this week.  Firestone led to some high scores.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited July 2019
    You guys should have saw the driver I hit off the deck to reach a par-5 in two over the weekend. It was a thing of beauty.  Full-disclosure: It was a captain and crew tournament and we didn't use my drive. But we sure as hell used by second shot....and I made the putt for eagle. Finished -12....four strokes back of the winners. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    You guys should have saw the driver I hit off the deck to reach a par-5 in two over the weekend. It was a thing of beauty.  Full-disclosure: It was a captain and crew tournament and we didn't use my drive. But we sure as hell used by second shot....and I made the putt for eagle. Finished -12....four strokes back of the winners. 
    Driver off the deck? Impressive! Did it run up a good amount or did you get it airborne? 
    bbiggs said:
    Driver off the deck? Impressive! Did it run up a good amount or did you get it airborne? 
    Very low trajectory with  big-time run-up. It was a dogleg right to an elevated green. I rightly figured that I would slice the hell out of the driver off the deck, which I did, so it curved the dogleg perfectly and ran up to the green. It's not a shot I would try too often. But on the 18th hole, drunk, in a captain and crew format, it was worth a shot. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    bbiggs said:
    Very low trajectory with  big-time run-up. It was a dogleg right to an elevated green. I rightly figured that I would slice the hell out of the driver off the deck, which I did, so it curved the dogleg perfectly and ran up to the green. It's not a shot I would try too often. But on the 18th hole, drunk, in a captain and crew format, it was worth a shot. 
    Very cool. That’s one extremely tough shot to execute. Even hitting a solid 3 wood off the deck is difficult for most. Well done. 
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Very cool. That’s one extremely tough shot to execute. Even hitting a solid 3 wood off the deck is difficult for most. Well done. 
    Thanks, man. On a scale of "the head flying off the club" (thrown out there by my friend as the likely outcome) to "actually reaching the green," it couldn't have gone any better. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    British Open week!  This course looks fantastic.   

I will go with McIlroy for my pick based on the great story it would be.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Rory, Henrik, Molinari, and Tiger as a dark horse for me since I'm a fanboy... haha