The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I get 28 days of paid vacation time next year, is that more than none?
    I have 6 weeks. 
    Two more days, wow lol.  So 28 days is more than none?
    Swedish law of vacation

The Swedish semester law gives all employees the right to five weeks semester per semester year. Of these you have the right to work for four weeks of coherent holidays in June - August.

What does the law for workers right in the US say?

Oh wait:

There is no legal requirement for employers to provide paid vacation in the USA.

Q
    u
    a
    l
    i
    t
    y

o
    f

l
    i
    f
    e
    I can't imagine if there was some sort of exchange program and Swedish people worked in the United States, that would be some funny stuff.  Yeah you have to work here dude to make ends meet.  
    As my buddy from Panama explained to me, you can't be lazy in the US.  You either work or you don't make it.

vacation should be determined by your job, there should be no national law.  
    This is the most insane thing I have ever read on this board. After how much workers have had to fight to have any rights - that is to be blunt, disgusting. Where the fuck would someone pick up an opinion like that from...

... oh, wait I'm pretty sure where from. The country flunking in about every metric regarding "decency". 
    You can keep your nanny state.  We'll be fine allowing businesses to make decisions and people to choose where they work based on those decisions.  The net output of our country will continue to be all the awesome things you enjoy in your welfare state.  It's all good.  I feel it's a symbiotic relationship.  We produce the awesome things and make money on it.  You buy them (or listen to them).  Don't knock what's working.  Just say thanks.  
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Back to thread integrity.  I would 100% vote for Warren if she banned all the lazy Swedes from coming to the US.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    PJPOWER said:
    Back to thread integrity.  I would 100% vote for Warren if she banned all the lazy Swedes from coming to the US.  
    The Swedes wouldn't know a hard day's work if it hit them in the ass!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Americans and Canadians are not the laziest people in the world.  What nonsense...
    https://allthatsinteresting.com/worlds-laziest-countries
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:

Not having a legal right to maternity leave is fucking sick. Absolutely disgusting.
    The answer to this question is the United States. 

if you didn't live in either country and were asked this question, I'm guessing your answer would be different. 
    That truly is a guess.  
    speaking merely from the standpoint of looking at that graphic, you'd have to be insane to choose the US. 
    You'd have to be insane to make a decision like this based on stupid graph. 
    I never suggested anyone should make a decision like that based on that graph alone. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:

Not having a legal right to maternity leave is fucking sick. Absolutely disgusting.

if you didn't live in either country and were asked this question, I'm guessing your answer would be different. 
    That truly is a guess.  
    speaking merely from the standpoint of looking at that graphic, you'd have to be insane to choose the US. 
    I never suggested anyone should make a decision like that based on that graph alone. 
    Cool.
    The answer to this question remains the United States. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That truly is a guess.  
    This is precisely accurate.  The implication is that this stuff is free.  TNSTAAFL.  
    everyone knows it's not "free". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited July 2019
    Americans and Canadians are not the laziest people in the world.  What nonsense...
    Do you equate laziness to lack of gym time?  That is pretty asinine.  I would go as far as to say that the hardest working people do not have time for gym memberships or prepping for the next 5k.  I guess it depends on your definition of “work” though...
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That truly is a guess.  
    This is precisely accurate.  The implication is that this stuff is free.  TNSTAAFL.  
    Everyone? Hardly think that's accurate...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited July 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have 6 weeks. 
    Swedish law of vacation

The Swedish semester law gives all employees the right to five weeks semester per semester year. Of these you have the right to work for four weeks of coherent holidays in June - August.

Oh wait:

There is no legal requirement for employers to provide paid vacation in the USA.

Q
    u
    a
    l
    i
    t
    y

o
    f

l
    i
    f
    e
    I can't imagine if there was some sort of exchange program and Swedish people worked in the United States, that would be some funny stuff.  Yeah you have to work here dude to make ends meet.  
    As my buddy from Panama explained to me, you can't be lazy in the US.  You either work or you don't make it.

you can't seriously believe this. like, seriously. that's asinine mcgruff. people in canada and the US are among the laziest and fattest in the world. 
    Equating lazy and fat is not accurate.  
    well you don't see a whole lot of middle aged skinny people driving around amusement parks in golf carts, now, do you?
    Just saying, there are lazy fat people and plenty of lazy skinny people.   If fact, sometime being fat is driven by being an extremely hard worker that just doesn't prioritize their personal health as much as they should.

That’s very true.  Some of the hardest working people I’ve ever known were overweight.  Not because they didn’t bust their asses, but because they maybe overindulged in the fruits of their labor.  Some were smokers, I know one that would eat a big bowl of ice cream every day after working 14 hours on the farm.  True, there are some of these pudgy fat dudes around that just sit around eating Doritos and playing Fortnight all day, but you can usually tell the difference because those lazy asses can barely walk up a flight of stairs, much less climb in and out of tractors or run a sewer line.  Often the hardest working people do not have time for a gym membership or to cook up a healthy meal, they just grab something and go back to work.  
    Most lazy asses I know are actually really skinny and have no meat on their bones.  Some people with crazy high cholesterol are skinny little shits that probably “work” less than 30 hours a week.
    It really is a bad generalization to make.

not all lazy people are fat. not all fat people are lazy. obviously. but the US has an abundance of both. that cannot be denied. obesity is generally a result of poor diet along with lack of exercise. fact. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have 6 weeks. 
    Swedish law of vacation

Oh wait:

Q
    u
    a
    l
    i
    t
    y

o
    f

l
    i
    f
    e

you can't seriously believe this. like, seriously. that's asinine mcgruff. people in canada and the US are among the laziest and fattest in the world. 
    Equating lazy and fat is not accurate.  
    well you don't see a whole lot of middle aged skinny people driving around amusement parks in golf carts, now, do you?
    Just saying, there are lazy fat people and plenty of lazy skinny people.   If fact, sometime being fat is driven by being an extremely hard worker that just doesn't prioritize their personal health as much as they should.

That’s very true.  Some of the hardest working people I’ve ever known were overweight.  Not because they didn’t bust their asses, but because they maybe overindulged in the fruits of their labor.  Some were smokers, I know one that would eat a big bowl of ice cream every day after working 14 hours on the farm.  True, there are some of these pudgy fat dudes around that just sit around eating Doritos and playing Fortnight all day, but you can usually tell the difference because those lazy asses can barely walk up a flight of stairs, much less climb in and out of tractors or run a sewer line.  Often the hardest working people do not have time for a gym membership or to cook up a healthy meal, they just grab something and go back to work.  
    Most lazy asses I know are actually really skinny and have no meat on their bones.  Some people with crazy high cholesterol are skinny little shits that probably “work” less than 30 hours a week.
    It really is a bad generalization to make.

not all lazy people are fat. not all fat people are lazy. obviously. but the US has an abundance of both. that cannot be denied. 
    Well the US has an abundance of pretty much everything, so throw it in the pile.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Meltdown99 made a Sweden thread. So you can all take your Sweden talk over there. No need to talk to Sweden in this thread, the AOC thread, AND the new Sweden thread. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJPOWER said:
    Do you equate laziness to lack of gym time?  That is pretty asinine.  I would go as far as to say that the hardest working people do not have time for gym memberships or prepping for the next 5k.  I guess it depends on your definition of “work” though...
    The study didn’t look at “gym time”, it looked at physical activity, ie being physically active rather than sitting around. You’ll note that some of the most active people were in developing countries - I don’t think they’re spending much time in a gym. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJPOWER said:
    The study didn’t look at “gym time”, it looked at physical activity, ie being physically active rather than sitting around. You’ll note that some of the most active people were in developing countries - I don’t think they’re spending much time in a gym. 
    This pretty much sums it up:
    ”The report explains that this trend could be related to the fact that those with higher incomes tend to have “more sedentary occupations” and that greater access to automobile transportation results in lesser physical activity.”

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That truly is a guess.  
    Everyone? Hardly think that's accurate...
    everyone here. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    ”The report explains that this trend could be related to the fact that those with higher incomes tend to have “more sedentary occupations” and that greater access to automobile transportation results in lesser physical activity.”

Using automobiles in preference to walking, cycling or public transit is lazy, bad for your health and bad for the environment. North Americans, particularly those in the US, like their big SUVs far too much and aren’t prioritizing alternate forms of moving people, and thus the cycle of laziness continues. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    yeah f that:

"Scandinavian income taxes raise a lot of revenue because they are actually rather flat. In other words, they tax most people at these high rates, not just high-income taxpayers. The top marginal tax rate of 60 percent in Denmark applies to all income over 1.2 times the average income in Denmark. From the American perspective, this means that all income over $60,000 (1.2 times the average income of about $50,000 in the United States) would be taxed at 60 percent.

Sweden and Norway have similarly flat income tax systems. Sweden’s top marginal tax rate of 56.9 percent applies to all income over 1.5 times the average income in Sweden. Norway’s top marginal tax rate of 39 percent applies to all income over 1.6 times the average Norwegian income.

Compare this to The United States. The top marginal tax rate of 46.8 percent (state average and federal combined rates) kicks in at 8.5 times the average U.S. income (around $400,000). Comparatively, few taxpayers in the United States face the top marginal rate."

Spiritual do you make minimum wage?  Is that why this isn't a big deal to you?

My wife and I, two teachers, would be taxed at 56.9% if we were like Sweden!  No way could we afford our house, cars, kids, vacation, etc.  Shit I'd be drinking bud light and driving by kid to day care on the back of my scooter. lol

Ha!  Around here we call those liquor-cycles... because you can still drive one after you get a DUI.  And you're right.  Can you imagine paying 34k in taxes on an income of 60k?  And that's before you pay VAT or anything else.  No thanks.  
    Hell no!  And that is why Bernie will lose if he gets the nomination, who the heck wants to pay these insane rates?  Yeah no thanks, I'm not that far to the left.  
    The attack ads practically write themselves.  It's jut not in our culture to be reliant on the government for everything.  I'm a big supporter of ensuring everyone has health care.  I also support FMLA.  But he's way out there.  It won't happen in Bernie's lifetime, that's for sure.
    I would have to see what everything costs, property taxes are drowning us in New Jersey.  
    Yeah, you guys have it tough.  Move on down to the commonwealth.  People are normal here.  Moderate taxes, moderate government (generally), great schools.  We're not overrun by unions or crazy ass right wingers.  I grew up in a union town and it definitely had problems.  I never thought I'd like it in VA as much as I do. But 18 years here, and there's no other state I'd rather live.  
    Because of family we are here for awhile. You do get what you pay for and New Jersey is always ranked 1/2 in public schools.  It is just too damn crowded and expensive here.  
    I'll be in OBX in a few weeks which is in your neck of the woods.  My Uncle, an upper east side resident of 35 years, just moved to Richmond with his husband and they are absolutely loving it.  I really like it down there it is just too far from family and your pizza sucks.  ;)  

True, our pizza sucks.  Interestingly, we have a huge Indian and Vietnamese community here..   that food most definitely does not suck.  Have fun in the OBX.  We go most every year.  Last year we did that, along with Seattle, Missoula, and Boston.  That was son's first 4 PJ shows.  This year we are doing the keys.  Have fun on that drive.. take 460.  It's brutal, but worth it.  They are some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.  
    Man I miss NJ Pizza, and the bagels, and the delis.  
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Using automobiles in preference to walking, cycling or public transit is lazy, bad for your health and bad for the environment. North Americans, particularly those in the US, like their big SUVs far too much and aren’t prioritizing alternate forms of moving people, and thus the cycle of laziness continues. 
    I don't know if that's true or not.  It's a chicken/egg discussion.  Outside of Chicago and NYC, public transportation isn't all that practical.  So many people live in suburbs and secondary cities that don't have a strong infrastructure like Chicago and NY.  LA's isn't great, SF isn't, DC metro is good, but it doesn't extend far out of the beltway at all.  So it's not very practical for people who come in for work.  When I have to go to NY, I usually train it, if I have time, and then obviously use the subway when I'm there.  Driving in any of the boroughs is a nightmare. 
    The SUV argument isn't really relevant since one vehicle doesn't make you fatter than another.  
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    So this thread can be closed now? We're done talking about the Dem candidates?
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Kat said:

Apparently.

ill get is back on track.

what do you think each of the dem candidates think about Sweden? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2019
    Kat said:
    If we all can agree Queen Elisabeth is the:

https://youtu.be/yJF9oCNNWFY

Then yes.

Maybe you can help mrussel point to one Quality of Life metric where the US beat Sweden? Otherwise, maybe it is a good idea for candidate Sanders to keep his eyes on Europe as inspiration to help make the US work better. Like he seems to do by the image he posted, that I posted on here.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited July 2019
    Kamala was on the view:

Sen. Kamala Harris on Joe Biden Confrontation | The View

https://youtu.be/LwO35jaS87M

Sen. Kamala Harris on Reparations and Border Security | The View
    https://youtu.be/juwIDgAvw0Q

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Is Biden the most moderate of all the candidates?  I am far from an expert on each one.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is Biden the most moderate of all the candidates?  I am far from an expert on each one.  
    Probably, Pete seems pretty moderate as well, but he doesn't have the same track record of voting to validate that.  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Probably, Pete seems pretty moderate as well, but he doesn't have the same track record of voting to validate that.  
    And Sanders would be most to the left?  Is there anyone more liberal than him?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Biden and Amy lead the moderate pack, no?
    hippiemom = goodness
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Karl Marx
    hippiemom = goodness
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Karl Marx
    In what way would Karl Marx be "liberal"
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Karl Marx
    Oh you got me.  Father of socialism...making a joke about bernie.  Nice catch #14
    hippiemom = goodness
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Karl Marx
    Oh you got me.  Father of socialism...making a joke about bernie.  Nice catch #14
    How far more left than Sanders would you have to go to be considered left of liberal, and not liberal? How it's looked on in the US?

Or is "liberal" just an endless void of everything left of republican?
This discussion has been closed.