Kaepernick

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2019
    CK should get himself a sign and stand in front of the NYPD headquarters and protest...he has no real platform other than these well thought out marketing scams that tend to rile people up...and not that many people even care...maybe those here, but not many.  
    Meltdown and Nancy Pelosi - no one cares, it's just some kids in that small twitter bubble of theirs.

Meanwhile - for people living in the real world - 30 million views:

https://youtu.be/Fq2CvmgoO7I

and:

"Despite Outrage, Nike Sales Increased 31% After Kaepernick Ad"

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    CK should get himself a sign and stand in front of the NYPD headquarters and protest...he has no real platform other than these well thought out marketing scams that tend to rile people up...and not that many people even care...maybe those here, but not many.  
    That's actually a really good point.  Killing a marketing campaign may truly be his only megaphone now.  And it only works so long as Nike releases information that it started at point A and ended at point B based on him.  Now if they announce the Bull Connor memorial shoe and then kill it, we'll know what's up.  
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Has anyone figured out wtf this flag is about?

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mrussel1 said:
    That's actually a really good point.  Killing a marketing campaign may truly be his only megaphone now.  And it only works so long as Nike releases information that it started at point A and ended at point B based on him.  Now if they announce the Bull Connor memorial shoe and then kill it, we'll know what's up.  
    Lol. I guess there d be a tank on it?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    I miss these guys

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I can't even imagine talking my kids to this racist museum (insert sarcasm):
    https://www.amrevmuseum.org/events/new-constellation-collection-historic-13-star-flags?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=exhibit&utm_content=flags&fbclid=IwAR1ObtaxfXH-bkCWVRUtw6qFFwj7GMTwD1CdEuiBqETZ178F1YzxzKE13c4

This Flag Day, 40 rare historic flags will go on display at the Museum of the American Revolution, marking the first time that this collection has ever been displayed together. The flags feature 32 different arrangements of 13 stars, representing the 13 colonies that declared independence from Great Britain during the Revolutionary War. The 13-star flag became the official flag of the new nation on June 14, 1777, when the Continental Congress passed the first Flag Act. In an adjacent activity space, visitors of all ages can try on Revolutionary-inspired clothing, handle replica objects, and participate in activities like designing their own flag.
    Good thing nobody is making this argument, except yourself of course.

So everyone agrees that the flag isn't racist, cool.  
    I've not said either way. But is your insinuation that because something is in a museum it can't be racist? Or do you think that museums shouldn't have racist things? I'm not quite picking up what you're putting down.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    Back when I was in the Boy Scouts, I was inadvertently taught to have little interest or respect for flags.  At one of the BSA Jamborees, we had to (it was like being drafted into the military) play a game called Capture the Flag.  The idea of the game is to teach kids military tactics in order to seize the other teams flag.  The lesson they were trying to teach me was totally turned around.  I never had an interest in going to war. I don't want someone else's flag.  I don't even know why we have flags.  Maybe there's something wrong with me.  Doctor, please help me, I'm damaged?   
    I don't know what year this is. 

But being another generation than you, I also played capture the flag as a boy.

LOL, different generation for sure!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    https://www.amrevmuseum.org/events/new-constellation-collection-historic-13-star-flags?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=exhibit&utm_content=flags&fbclid=IwAR1ObtaxfXH-bkCWVRUtw6qFFwj7GMTwD1CdEuiBqETZ178F1YzxzKE13c4

This Flag Day, 40 rare historic flags will go on display at the Museum of the American Revolution, marking the first time that this collection has ever been displayed together. The flags feature 32 different arrangements of 13 stars, representing the 13 colonies that declared independence from Great Britain during the Revolutionary War. The 13-star flag became the official flag of the new nation on June 14, 1777, when the Continental Congress passed the first Flag Act. In an adjacent activity space, visitors of all ages can try on Revolutionary-inspired clothing, handle replica objects, and participate in activities like designing their own flag.

I've not said either way. But is your insinuation that because something is in a museum it can't be racist? Or do you think that museums shouldn't have racist things? I'm not quite picking up what you're putting down.
    I was being sarcastic.  
    Hi! said:
    I miss these guys

They look familiar.  I think they put out an album several years ago.

All kidding aside, thank goodness for Pearl Jam for bringing us great music and because without them, this crazy place would not be here!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I was being sarcastic.  
    No shit, but you were being sarcastic to make a point. What was the point?
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I was being sarcastic.  
    And what was the underlying point the sarcasm was used for?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I was being sarcastic.  
    No shit, but you were being sarcastic to make a point. What was the point?
    That those flags are racist. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    These shoes were to be released around the 4th?  Am I correct?  If so, I find it hard to believe Nike manufactured enough shoes for the initial release and then killed off the shoe based on CK phone call...this screams of another Nike marketing scam...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The irony is that the only people i see in this thread that are "outraged" are the same people that complain about "outrage" culture. 
    edited July 2019
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:
    I miss these guys

They look familiar.  I think they put out an album several years ago.

All kidding aside, thank goodness for Pearl Jam for bringing us great music and because without them, this crazy place would not be here!
    Word. Funny thing is I’m actually less liberal on certain things now, like a lot of different things, or at least middle of the road from reading others viewpoints here. When I was extremely liberal about everything.
    Post edited by Hi! on

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited July 2019
    A flag cannot be racist.  It's an inanimate object.  If racist people use that flag for their agenda then that is their problem...

I suppose the Canadian flag could be considered racist considering what we did to 1st nations people...but it is not because flags are not capable of being racist...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    dignin said:
    The irony is that the only people i see in this thread that are "outraged" are the same people that complain about "outrage" culture. 
    Do I seem outraged to you?  I'm annoyed.  There's a difference.  
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    Exactly my point and why I used these " " . Most things in my opinion that people attribute to outrage is more of an annoyance. 

If I was a betting man someone contacted Kap or maybe he just got to see the shoes early and he said " Hey guys, here are some of the possible issues with these shoes" or something along that line. I highly doubt he ran to them "outraged" at the possibility of these shoes and demanded they pull them. Similar to his protest, it was calm, well thought out and nuanced. But that's just my guess.
    A flag cannot be racist.  It's an inanimate object.  If racist people use that flag for their agenda then that is their problem...
    This is what I say when people complain about my blood red SAAB 900 cabriolet covered in Germanys flag from the early forties. 
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    Exactly my point and why I used these " " . Most things in my opinion that people attribute to outrage is more of an annoyance. 

If I was a betting man someone contacted Kap or maybe he just got to see the shoes early and he said " Hey guys, here are some of the possible issues with these shoes" or something along that line. I highly doubt he ran to them "outraged" at the possibility of these shoes and demanded they pull them. Similar to his protest, it was calm, well thought out and nuanced. But that's just my guess.
    Okay, I can see I was being a bit unclear..
    1. In this case, I don't think it's the left that is outraged, it's the right.  When I talked about getting people 'riled' up earlier, I meant specifically the Fox News/Breitbart crowd for this issue.  They are making a ton out of not much. 
    2. I think on the merits, Kap is wrong, but again, it's not outrage.  I expressed multiple times why I think he's wrong and my irritation about ceding ground to the right.  So I don't need to go through that again.
    3. I don't know if it's most things are annoyance vs outrage, but there is definitely an outrage culture in this country.  We careen back and forth.  The Justin S. case was the whole enchilada in nice package.  We got to be mad at racists and race baiters all in the same event!  How awesomely sad was that?
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2019
    RYME said:
    mickeyrat said:
    RYME said:
    mickeyrat said:mo
    RYME said:
    mickeyrat said:
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:
    Whenever Ryme says it's worth a listen and read.  pass

Especially from ijr.com  LOL

And every time I see a post from smelly I know its time to duck.  Because you're one of those guys that would jump through the screen and smack me if you could.
    Why don't you comment on the point the woman was making instead of the website that I used to post it.  See you take your little cheap shot at me but you don't comment on the toppic.  Same thing every time I'm surprised you didn't toss a little Christian mockery into it as well.  That usually follows suit.
    Her son died for the flag so that people like Kaepernick can shit on it.
    https://video.foxnews.com/v/6056101587001/?playlist_id=2114913880001#sp=show-clips
    her son died because he swore to defend the constitution. theres nothing in the oath that says you are defending the flag. if you joined to defend the flag you are a dumbass.

this women is entitled to her opiniAlrion. THAT is what her son died defending.

I wont get into the assinine need to still be in Afghanistan in 2011.....

RYME said:
    Her son died for the flag so that people like Kaepernick can shit on it.
    https://video.foxnews.com/v/6056101587001/?playlist_id=2114913880001#sp=show-clips
    And if that dude would not have joined the military, there is an absurdly big chance he would have been shot/assaulted by the police in your little country just for being black. So Kaepernick "shit on it" for him too.
    I didn't think I would have to explain this.  The American flag is a symbol of our country. So when I say he died for the flag, okay I'll fix my wording. TheAmerican Flag represents the United States of America soldiers fight for Amarica they don't die for the physical flag itself.
    FOX set it up like that and SHE set it up like that. Technically they arent even defending the country. They are defending the document and the ideals it represents. The Constitution isnt a symbol.

Her son and many others died defending the rights contained in that document. First among them is speech. If the SCOTUS has deemed burning the flag permissible speech then kneeling before it in protest is rather benign, dont you think? Further no one stands , hand on heart during the anthem because the military defends the "symbol". Because the Anthem isnt about them. Its about the ideals this country espouses, but sadly has yet to fully live up to.

Having served myself, whether I agree with his decision or not is irrelevant. I do , however, celebrate the fact that for all its flaws , we reside in a country that has this right.
    I for one than thank you very much for your service mickeyrat.
    So when the anthem is playing and I'm standing for the flag & honering people like you and the rest of our military past present and future.  Nothing political about it.
    Thank you again Mickey rat.
    let me respectfully request when you stand for the anthem, do so for The Constitution, which made this all possible, the good, the bad, the indifferent.
    But do you, who has been in the military -  throw a hissy fit like some people (on the right, on fox news, and on this thread) because a person chose to peacefully protest and found that the most fitting way for him was to kneel instead of stand for the national anthem?
    I have no problem with people peacefully protesting whatever they want. I'm cool with it even if I disagree with its premise.
    The people who have hissy fits believe there are better venues to do it in.
    Making a spectacle at ball games when all the cameras are on you is where a lot of people have issues with it.  Not the protest itself.  

Why wouldn't he want his protest to be seen and noted? 

Are you saying he should do it in his bedroom before he goes to sleep?

- Hey Kap, what are you doing? You not gonna come and rub my back?
    - Just a minute Babe, im peacefully protesting here in the corner. Could you turn the volume up on my iphone. I can barely hear the anthem from here.
    I know that this is all redundant but he's back in the news because of the Nike shoe thing.
    No absolutely Not his bedroom. 
    He has a lot of fans and popularity.  He could come up with some venues however large he needs, get other celebs involved, mabey get a few bands to do benefit (raise awareness shows, make a logo for your cause and sell t-shirts and hats and sweatshirts.  Put it on a calendar and make a tour out of it sell tickets have bands come out and play on behalf of the cause benefit shows you know.  Maybe put on a few marches here and there.
    Why fuck with NFL Football?
    I believe sporting events should be political free zones, (kind of like at the bar where its usually not a good idea to bring up politics) But at sporting events  how about we put our differences aside for a few hours and cheer on the team?

Post edited by RYME on
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited July 2019
    RYME said:
    I know that this is all redundant but he's back in the news because of the Nike shoe thing.
    He has a lot of fans and popularity.  He could come up with some venues however large he needs, get other celebs involved, mabey get a few bands to do benefit (raise awareness shows, make a logo for your cause and sell t-shirts and hats and sweatshirts.  Put it on a calendar and make a tour out of it sell tickets have bands come out and play on behalf of the cause benefit shows you know.  Maybe put on a few marches here and there.
    I believe sporting events should be political free zones, (kind of like at the bar where its usually not a good idea to bring up politics) But at sporting events  how about we put our differences aside for a few hours and cheer on the team?

I always thought the NFL was the most political/pro military of all the sports. The gigantic flag unfurled across the field, constant parading of vets onto the field, 40 years of Marine recruitment ads during the commercials, warplanes flying overhead during the anthem.
    I was always a bit put off how overt it was.
    Then Kap goes the opposite direction, and everybody on the right wants to boycott the NFL- the most pro military sport of them all.
    I guess most people became so indoctrinated to that stuff that they became numb to it.

Edit: maybe not everyone on the right, but definitely all those on the far right.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2019
    eddiec said:
    RYME said:

I always though the NFL was the most political/pro military of all the sports. The gigantic flag unfurled across the field, constant parading of vets onto the field, 40 years of Marine recruitment ads during the commercials, warplanes flying overhead during the anthem.
    I was always a bit put off how overt it was.
    Then Kap goes the opposite direction, and everybody on the right wants to boycott the NFL- the most pro military sport of them all.
    I guess most people became so indoctrinated to that stuff that they became numb to it.
    I am even very sympathetic to his cause. I hate unjust police brutality with a passion.
    I think patriotic Americans that go to these ball games and watch on TV who hate the kneeling during the anthem, would be sympathetic to his cause if he went about it another way.
    If he would start a movement or a .org that raises money/awarness/activism that funds the investigations of the different police forces and weed out the bad ones you know the Hideous police officers that carry out horrific  brutal acts against people and people of color. Police are not all bad but there's definitely a handful of weasels here and there and Ithey need to be rooted out and pushed off a cliff.
    You see I'm looking for clarity not to win an argument.
    Leave Sports and our national anthem alone fix the problem another way where you would get support from righties and lefties.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Hi! said:
    I miss these guys

Yeah, me too.  Wonder if there is an Oracle logo on that flag ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    This is what I say when people complain about my blood red SAAB 900 cabriolet covered in Germanys flag from the early forties. 
    If it is from the early 40's that Saab could be worth millions because it is a prototype.
    Jason P said:
    If it is from the early 40's that Saab could be worth millions because it is a prototype.

Jason P said:
    Hi! said:
    I miss these guys

Yeah, me too.  Wonder if there is an Oracle logo on that flag ...
    Whoa!  I just noticed the McD's golden arches on that flag.  What the...? 

Hi! said:
    I miss these guys

We should do a poll:  "Which one of these guys has the coolest shoes?" 

I'm going with Mike's.

brianlux said:
    Hi! said:
    I miss these guys

I'm going with Mike's.
    I usually like Jeff’s shoes best. 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2019
    Hi! said:
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:
    I miss these guys

I'm going with Mike's.
    I usually like Jeff’s shoes best. 
    I'm less of a sneaker person (besides my chucks), so I'm going with Matt's, even though I can't make them out all that clearly. They look stylin' from what I can see.
    I also miss these guys.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata