Worst Pearl Jam song ever....

18910111214»

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Come Back, a bad version of a Beatles song. Yes, the lyrics are beautiful but the song does nothing for me. 
    Probably my least favorite PJ song. Just so...freaking....boring. Way more "Pearl Adult Contemporary" than "Pearl Jam." Good comparison by saying it's like a bad version of a Beatles song. Usually songs like Come Back where a man sings about lost love isn't for me. But "For No One" by The Beatles is a song like that and I love it. But I guess Paul McCartney might just be better at writing love songs than Eddie Vedder is. 

Sidebar: I was at the Philly Spectrum shows in 2009 and during one of them, they began to play Come Back. The guy behind me said to his buddy "perfect time [to go take a piss]." I totally agreed...but didn't have to pee. Thankfully. Because the band fucked up Come Back, aborted it, and played No Way (a favorite of mine) instead. When his friend told him he missed No Way, he was bummed as hell. Must be a favorite of his as well. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    There's definitely been a lot more adult contemporary rock on the last three albums. I think that's really what worries a lot of us. With this said, I'm not sure what direction I'd like the band to go... 
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited July 2019
    As long as they don’t put out a Backspacer 2 and we get new music I will be happy. I loved Lightning Bolt (the album) but would love something angry and political. That’s just me. 
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    vaggar99 said:
    Not sure I’m qualified to answer “worst PJ song ever”, but I am going to list a few, IMO (and experience), show killers:

In no particular order:
    - Sirens
    - Unemployable 
    - Infallible
    - Wishlist
    - Cropduster
    - Help Help

I agree with Sirens...the rest prove that you are insane
    i don't get the absolute hate for Sirens.  its a good song.  perhaps a little cheesy on the studio recording, but when played live without all the Brendan Obrien overproduction, it sounds quite good.  much like all of LB.
    I'm glad you like it.  I think it appeals to a lot of people that favor country (not saying that is you) and also like Just Breathe, The End, Future Days, etc.

I just don't like it.  I don't like the simple lyrics that ooze with sap.  
    i do like a pretty narrow swath of country.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    rummy said:
    There's definitely been a lot more adult contemporary rock on the last three albums. I think that's really what worries a lot of us. With this said, I'm not sure what direction I'd like the band to go... 
    My feelings as well...I keep thinking about a comment I read from Brendan O'Brien.  He said something to the effect of how the guys need to save their creativity for the band and quit the side projects.  There have been great songs on Matt and Jeff's project that would have been great PJ tunes.  I fear that EV has steered the direction in a way that doesn't allow for new music like a lot of us expect.  Compare Matt's demo of "the Fixer" to the eventual album release.  Totally sapped out.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    I think b.o.b likes a pop song
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    he does. his comment about Better Man being a potential smash hit didn't sit well with Ed, considering that's why Ed didn't even show it to the band until way after he wrote it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    And sleeping by myself. He basically forced the band version. Idiot move
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • I'm amazed how many songs people don't like. I can't say I have one song I don't dig up until the Cheeseball Trifecta on LB. Sure, I'll skip the "experimental" songs, but I don't really consider those songs, more interludes. But all of them have a purpose, and I think most of them hit the mark. 
    I still can't bare to listen to Infallible. The main riff feels very cheesy to me.

My Father's Son is badass. Aside from Infallible, I love LB.
    yup. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i feel like the band has had a slight adult contemp element from almost the beginning....i'm thinking Elderly woman, betterman, daughter among others..
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    I'm not a big fan of Ole.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    he does. his comment about Better Man being a potential smash hit didn't sit well with Ed, considering that's why Ed didn't even show it to the band until way after he wrote it. 
    And why he said that Sirens was the greatest PJ song since Black. :disappointed:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    gross. I didn't know that one. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

vaggar99 said:
    i feel like the band has had a slight adult contemp element from almost the beginning....i'm thinking Elderly woman, betterman, daughter among others..
    Hmmmm....I think they are more "folk" than adult contemporary (although I guess there's a fine line between the two).
    PJ_Soul said:
    And why he said that Sirens was the greatest PJ song since Black. :disappointed:
    Bahahahahaha!!!! He's a funny guy, that BOB!
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Not really a PJ song but setting forth is the worst song I’ve seen them do live
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    mcgruff10 said:
    Not sure I’m qualified to answer “worst PJ song ever”, but I am going to list a few, IMO (and experience), show killers:

In no particular order:
    - Sirens
    - Unemployable 
    - Infallible
    - Wishlist
    - Cropduster
    - Help Help

I agree with Sirens...the rest prove that you are insane
    They are all definitely show killers. 
    Do not agree. Sirens is majestic live. Even with the Comeback-esque simple and ”heavyhanded” lyrics
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    KN219077 said:
    I actually like Setting Forth live, I thought it worked well going into Not for you when I heard it. The good thing for you is that it's just over a minute so it doesn't take up much the show
  • ayladogayladog Posts: 29
    Ole
    ayladog
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Hawk123 said:
    KN219077 said:
    I actually like Setting Forth live, I thought it worked well going into Not for you when I heard it. The good thing for you is that it's just over a minute so it doesn't take up much the show
    I guess I see it as taking a song slot and being very forgetful 
    edited July 2019
    KN219077 said:
    Hawk123 said:
    KN219077 said:
    I guess I see it as taking a song slot and being very forgetful 
    True. I guess PJ makes it all the way to 30-something songs, however, because they perform quick ones like Setting Forth (and Lukin, I'm Open, etc).
    Post edited by rummy on
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2019
    Help Help was not a crowd killer in Prague last year ... especially when they tagged Help by the Beatles in front of it. 
    Song rocked live... was happy I was there to see it

I think they repeated that at the first Home show as well. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    ayladog said:
    Ole
    yeah
  • GetRight13GetRight13 NY Posts: 575
    Sirens,Sleeping by myself, Speed of Sound, Infallible (the chorus kills it for me) Future Days, The End, Ole and on the fence with Cant Deny me
    2023 Austin 1 & 2
    Ottawa 09/03
    MSG 1 & 2
    2013 Brooklyn (10/18, 10/19) Philadelphia (10/21, 10/22)
    2012 Atlanta 09/22
    2009 Albany 06/08 (Eddie Solo)
    2008 Bonnaroo 6/14
    2006 Albany 05/12
    2005 Philadelphia 10/03
    2000 Saratoga Springs 08/27
    I love five of those songs and like the rest. That’s funny. 
    What about the Whale Song or Evil Little Goats. Some horrible songs. Not as bad as Mankind but still horrible. 
    Come Back, a bad version of a Beatles song. Yes, the lyrics are beautiful but the song does nothing for me. 
    Not even close in my opinion....great melodies, beautiful guitar solo

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    yup. 
    was he hoping for another Last Kiss?