Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg on cover of TIME

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

YES!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

What Greta Thunberg has set into motion is so amazing to me.  Hope for the future!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited May 2019

MY MOVIE-UNCLE AND MY FAVORITE SWEDE! IN THE SAME PHOTO! 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

MY MOVIE-UNCLE AND MY FAVORITE SWEDE! IN THE SAME PHOTO! 
    Excellent!

Nice.

It would be cool to hear what they had to say to each other.

Greta:

In september the UN will hold a climate summit in New York. In december the United Nations conference of parties, COP25, will be held in Santiago de Chile. And this is pretty much where our future will be decided. 
    Because by the year 2020, next year, the emission curve must have been bended steep downwards if we are to have a chance to stay below 1,5 or 2 degrees of warming.
    After the holidays I am starting gymnasium, like high school. And this is what I really want to do. I love studying. 
    But I have also been invited to attend these two events, in North and South America. And since time is running out I have decided to try to take a sabbatical year from school and go there. 
    The tricky thing is that it’s on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. And there are no trains going there. And since I don’t fly, because of the enormous climate impact of aviation, it’s going to be a challenge. I haven’t quite figured that out yet. 
    But I’m sure I will get there somehow. We will all have to do the impossible. The school strikes will continue next year, and the year after that. We will go on protesting and manifesting every Friday until the world is in line with the Paris agreement.

Greta:

In september the UN will hold a climate summit in New York. In december the United Nations conference of parties, COP25, will be held in Santiago de Chile. And this is pretty much where our future will be decided. 
    Because by the year 2020, next year, the emission curve must have been bended steep downwards if we are to have a chance to stay below 1,5 or 2 degrees of warming.
    After the holidays I am starting gymnasium, like high school. And this is what I really want to do. I love studying. 
    But I have also been invited to attend these two events, in North and South America. And since time is running out I have decided to try to take a sabbatical year from school and go there. 
    The tricky thing is that it’s on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. And there are no trains going there. And since I don’t fly, because of the enormous climate impact of aviation, it’s going to be a challenge. I haven’t quite figured that out yet. 
    But I’m sure I will get there somehow. We will all have to do the impossible. The school strikes will continue next year, and the year after that. We will go on protesting and manifesting every Friday until the world is in line with the Paris agreement.

I totally get and admire her stance on not flying.  She's a smart young lady.  Trains are proven to be the most energy efficient means of transporting people, other animals, and goods.  Yet on the one hand, if her going to the conference brought about more awareness, maybe fewer people would fly, maybe it would be worth the flight.  But that would also leave her open to criticism for being a hypocrite.  I don't envy her having to make this decision.

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    brianlux said:
    Greta:

I totally get and admire her stance on not flying.  She's a smart young lady.  Trains are proven to be the most energy efficient means of transporting people, other animals, and goods.  Yet on the one hand, if her going to the conference brought about more awareness, maybe fewer people would fly, maybe it would be worth the flight.  But that would also leave her open to criticism for being a hypocrite.  I don't envy her having to make this decision.
    This feels very "lose the battle, win the war" to me. If put in her shoes, the decision would be crystal clear: if my voice is a megaphone that compels people to act with more environmental awareness, the mathematics will likely show that my flight over the Atlantic would produce a net benefit to the environmental movement in a matter of days. Or, she could probably find a sailor or cruise company willing to host her given the prestige that would come with that.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    Greta:

This feels very "lose the battle, win the war" to me. If put in her shoes, the decision would be crystal clear: if my voice is a megaphone that compels people to act with more environmental awareness, the mathematics will likely show that my flight over the Atlantic would produce a net benefit to the environmental movement in a matter of days. Or, she could probably find a sailor or cruise company willing to host her given the prestige that would come with that.
    Ben, you always have a clear vision on things.  Nicely said. 

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    Greta:

Ben, you always have a clear vision on things.  Nicely said. 
    I think it comes with a job that always involves some creative problem-solving. I hope everyone gets or creates the opportunity to do so professionally, as it's helped me understand the structure of an argument and (at least some of) the structure of progress.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Here is a start.  Greta can take the train as far as it travels to Northern Russia, then she can travel by feet, snowshoes, cross country skiing and dog sled to the closest point between Russia and The US which is Alaska...she'll need to connect with Russian fishing troller to get to the Russian/US line and hopefully a US fishing troller will meet them there, from where she can get dropped off somewhere in Alaska that has rail service...

Should be easy from that point.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited June 2019
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    Greta:

She did get heavily attacked (by a certain group of idiots) when people believed she had flown to the US for the TIMEs cover. 

And I mean, I would think she sees a point in going through with it 100% for the statement to be as clear and rock solid as possible.

And not be like me with my heavily compromised intermittent fasting. 
    There are other ways to give the speeches without physically being there...perhaps these environmental lobbies should try that... 

Or maybe before we keep have these so-called necessary meetings...they should have to at least prove they are meeting the Paris Targets...which most will never meet...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    There are other ways to give the speeches without physically being there...perhaps these environmental lobbies should try that... 

Or maybe before we keep have these so-called necessary meetings...they should have to at least prove they are meeting the Paris Targets...which most will never meet...
    Greta and others doing speeches > Meltdown doing, what I guess is, nothing

Damn right.  As I type this I got my hummer running, for no reason other than I might need a coffee and I want the air running. It's a comfortable 73, outside, I got the air running full speed ahead, I cut six trees down for no other reason than to have a campfire, I let helium-filled balloons fly every night...basically, I am a realist, planet earth is past the point of no return...and so what...the human race needs to go extinct...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Damn right.  As I type this I got my hummer running, for no reason other than I might need a coffee and I want the air running. It's a comfortable 73, outside, I got the air running full speed ahead, I cut six trees down for no other reason than to have a campfire, I let helium-filled balloons fly every night...basically, I am a realist, planet earth is past the point of no return...and so what...the human race needs to go extinct...
    Very Marla Singer of you.

My wife suggested the same thing last night.  She said, "Why not just do a teleconference or virtual meeting?"

Sure makes sense to me!

brianlux said:

My wife suggested the same thing last night.  She said, "Why not just do a teleconference or virtual meeting?"

Sure makes sense to me!
    We have the tools in the toolbox to avoid these meetings...air travel leaves a big carbon footprint.  Every time we have a new agreement (Kyoto, Paris)...they never hit the target...there is a lot of hypocrisy from politicians...Monday in Canada...our House of Commons declared a climate emergency...the only party leader to in attendance for the debate was the Green Party leader...I guess attending the Raptors victory parade was more of an emergency.  Then 24 hours later, the same government approved a controversial pipeline...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    This is such a fine speech.  Here, Greta asks a very pertinent and essential question:  Why isn't global warming the biggest topic in the news?  Good question, Greta.  Why is this not the most important thing on everyone's mind?  I don't get it either. 

This is worth 12 minutes of one's time:

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    brianlux said:
    This is such a fine speech.  Here, Greta asks a very pertinent and essential question:  Why isn't global warming the biggest topic in the news?  Good question, Greta.  Why is this not the most important thing on everyone's mind?  I don't get it either. 

These are great questions and it’s frustrating because a lot of times I’ll be passionate about something or an issue and then I get all Debbie Downer because I know this is really the most important pressing issue. Abortion, guns, tax code, blah blah blah. I’m not a scientist, but I believe in science and if some of these predictions of the next 10, 20, 30 yrs. in regards to climate change happen, were fucked. I’m very pessimistic that we are going to be able to turn it around under this big hard sun, and if I’m not mistaken, many scientists believe we are beyond the tipping point. I’m also a firm believer in you can’t look at local weather and be able to make a case one way or another that climate change is real or happening, but believe me I see it. Water levels are highest they ever been around my area in a long time, Weather patterns drastically different more frequently.  It doesn’t snow in Michigan until after Jan 1st? That’s bizarre. I just don’t see a way out, fuck we can’t even handle the Paris Climate Agreement, which correct me if I’m wrong, wouldn’t even stop the catastrophic changes that are predicted. 
    Ill watch the video now🙂

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Hi! said:
    brianlux said:

These are great questions and it’s frustrating because a lot of times I’ll be passionate about something or an issue and then I get all Debbie Downer because I know this is really the most important pressing issue. Abortion, guns, tax code, blah blah blah. I’m not a scientist, but I believe in science and if some of these predictions of the next 10, 20, 30 yrs. in regards to climate change happen, were fucked. I’m very pessimistic that we are going to be able to turn it around under this big hard sun, and if I’m not mistaken, many scientists believe we are beyond the tipping point. I’m also a firm believer in you can’t look at local weather and be able to make a case one way or another that climate change is real or happening, but believe me I see it. Water levels are highest they ever been around my area in a long time, Weather patterns drastically different more frequently.  It doesn’t snow in Michigan until after Jan 1st? That’s bizarre. I just don’t see a way out, fuck we can’t even handle the Paris Climate Agreement, which correct me if I’m wrong, wouldn’t even stop the catastrophic changes that are predicted. 
    Ill watch the video now🙂
    I hear you, Hi!  Yeah, I get the same feeling at time- like it's all hopeless, like we're completely and utterly fucked.  I think that's a very reasonable and sane reaction to an insane situation.  Thankfully, there are little rays of hope that help SO much.  This young lady is just such a ray of hope.  And her approach is so right on.  She cuts nobody any slack.  Not even climate scientists and environmentalists.  She socks it to everyone.  She is no bullshitter.  She is the real deal.  I hope more people will listen... and then do what she suggests, take action!

The water is high where I live.  I do not worry, people have pulled out pics from the 70's and 80's of higher water.  

So whats the worlds plan for the continued gross overpopulation of planet earth? Wait till there is another 2 billion, then 3 billion more people...most in poor countries who will use the cheapest energy and fuel possible.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Hi! said:
    Bravo, David Gilmore! 

Thanks, Hi.  Great news!

What stands out here to me is when the interviewer asks Greta what she would say to people who think climate change isn't real or that it is an opinion, not a fact and she says, "I don't say anything to those people.  They have nothing to say to me and I have nothing to say to them."  At this late point in time with global warming, this makes perfect sense to me.  I try harder and harder these days to ignore the foolish people who still cling to the notion that global warming is not real.  Any more, trying to talk to them is a waste of breath.

edited June 2019
    brianlux said:
    What stands out here to me is when the interviewer asks Greta what she would say to people who think climate change isn't real or that it is an opinion, not a fact and she says, "I don't say anything to those people.  They have nothing to say to me and I have nothing to say to them."  At this late point in time with global warming, this makes perfect sense to me.  I try harder and harder these days to ignore the foolish people who still cling to the notion that global warming is not real.  Any more, trying to talk to them is a waste of breath.
    Yes. Politicians who don't believe it, actually do but say they don't because it is in their financial/career interest to do so -- and they will not be changed. 

And the people following those people won't change either.

And in Sweden the only ones trying to get the opinion of "who knows, earth has always changed" in the discourse or "well, no idea doing anything because China and bigger countries than ours" are right-winged racists. So, that should say something.
    brianlux said:
    Yes. Politicians who don't believe it, actually do but say they don't because it is in their financial/career interest to do so -- and they will not be changed. 

And the people following those people won't change either.

And in Sweden the only ones trying to get the opinion of "who knows, earth has always changed" in the discourse or "well, no idea doing anything because China and bigger countries than ours" are right-winged racists. So, that should say something.
    Yeah, the thing is, you always here the, "But the earth's climate has always changed," from these people but they always seem to leave off the part about how that's never been caused by human activity before and it's never been as rapid a change except maybe when giant asteroids have it the earth and how only five other times have there been mass extinctions- none of which were caused by humans.  Funny how they seem to-  oops!- leave that part out!