The Golf Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    The most dominate golfer of all time concentrates on strength/flexibility

Rory, who while under achieving, has one of the better A games out there, concentrates on strength/flexibility

The guy who who 4 out of the last 8 majors, concentrates....

These guys are just athletes.  Why not be stronger than everyone else?

Also, I don't think people are going to care nearly as much about longevity as they once did with the money out there.  Dominate for 10 years, make tens of millions on winnings, and untold more on sponsorship's and go do your thing.  The Champion's Tour is going to be in rough shape when people don't need to play it to feed their families/pay alimony 

Who gives a shit what Hank Haney has to say...
    Yeah, well, we're not talking about people who are just strong and in shape. There is nothing wrong with concentrating on strength and flexibility. We're talking, specifically, about a guy like Brooks' bulkier body type (at least that is the impression I got from Eddie saying he's built like a linebacker). And I specifically said I would not put Rory in Brooks' category anyway...

I guess I agree with your second point....but longevity was the whole point of Eddie's initial post. 

And regarding Tiger, Hank knows his game better than just about anyone in the world. So I definitely care what he has to say about that subject.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    JojoRice said:

I was okay with the cart initially, but in this case I think he just needs to see the writing on the wall.  It is either a tournament or an exhibition.  I know not everyone has a chance to win, but Daly had no chance on this course and in his condition.  Needs to hang it up on the PGA tour. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576

Rory, who while under achieving, has one of the better A games out there, concentrates on strength/flexibility

Also, I don't think people are going to care nearly as much about longevity as they once did with the money out there.  Dominate for 10 years, make tens of millions on winnings, and untold more on sponsorship's and go do your thing.  The Champion's Tour is going to be in rough shape when people don't need to play it to feed their families/pay alimony 

Yeah, well, we're not talking about people who are just strong and in shape. There is nothing wrong with concentrating on strength and flexibility. We're talking, specifically, about a guy like Brooks' bulkier body type (at least that is the impression I got from Eddie saying he's built like a linebacker). And I specifically said I would not put Rory in Brooks' category anyway...

I guess I agree with your second point....but longevity was the whole point of Eddie's initial post. 

And regarding Tiger, Hank knows his game better than just about anyone in the world. So I definitely care what he has to say about that subject.
    I just don't get why the day after a dude wins his 4th major in the last 8 tries, there is talk about his physique.  Granted, the tournament was about as compelling as paint drying, but that's what happens when a dude goes 63-65 on a brutal course.  I am not Koepka's biggest fan. I think the has the personality of my desk, but it works for him and who cares how long he plays.  I have asked this question before and I wonder if yesterday changes it.  Would you rather have DJ or Koepka's career to date? I think I take the latter after yesterday?

Does he though?  Haney is a whore and has made more money off the celebrity of "coaching" the best player in the world (who probably didn't even need a coach) than he has off of anything else.  If I were listing the people who know Tigers game the most it goes.  

Tiger
    MASSIVE, MASSIVE, MASSIVE, MASSIVE GAP
    Notah
    Butch
    Maybe some other random people close to him
    MASSIVE GAP
    Haney
    Other Tiger coaches
    GAP
    Random analysts
    JojoRice said:

I was okay with the cart initially, but in this case I think he just needs to see the writing on the wall.  It is either a tournament or an exhibition.  I know not everyone has a chance to win, but Daly had no chance on this course and in his condition.  Needs to hang it up on the PGA tour. 
    Yeah, F this.  He has no business in a cart.
    And point being on the Haney front, I'd take Butch's resume a million times out of a million over Haney's and he clearly doesn't have a problem with the muscles given his stable (including Tiger).  The muscle stuff seemed like an excuse from Haney for Tiger not winning more under him.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 8,956
    If anyone is near Bethpage, I just passed by

50% off all merch til 4pm
    lot C

i knew they were gonna do this like 2002 US Open...but forgot while drinking and bought my merch Saturday
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168
    edited May 2019
    the parts I saw the NY fans really came across as total d-bags.  classy yelling out 'choke' to Koepka.  
    pjhawks said:
    the parts I saw the NY fans really came across as total d-bags.  classy yelling out 'choke' to Koepka.  
    You do realize lot of out of towners? 

But yes Northeasterners are assholes are a look at me asshole bunch
    CROJAM95 said:
    pjhawks said:

stop. you don't really believe it was the out of towners acting that way do you?

and they are going to have the Ryder Cup there. that will get ugly.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    pjhawks said:
    They wear being d-bags like a badge of honor. Treated by the media like annoying toddlers whose parents think they are “being cute” but every other self-respecting adult would have taught their kids not to act like that.
    pjhawks said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    pjhawks said:

stop. you don't really believe it was the out of towners acting that way do you?

Only the ones 2 hours South 
    I’m not defending NYers

i just see the pot calling the kettle black on steriods

ive lived here all my 38yrs... I get annoyed with locals, everyone thinks they are a star cause they make a few bucks and everyone knows a mobster out here, but I’ve also been to Boston, Philly... that’s why I originally said northeasteners 
    CROJAM95 said:
    pjhawks said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    pjhawks said:

Only the ones 2 hours South 
    yea the US Open was at Merion in the Philly Suburbs in 2013 and no one acted like that.  

and where are you from?
    CROJAM95 said:
    I’m not defending NYers

i just see the pot calling the kettle black on steriods

ive lived here all my 38yrs... I get annoyed with locals, everyone thinks they are a star cause they make a few bucks and everyone knows a mobster out here, but I’ve also been to Boston, Philly... that’s why I originally said northeasteners 
    I get expecting acting like that at Giants or Rangers game. not in golf. and as i said above it didn't happen that way for golf in Philly area. 
    i can't imagine how horrible and nationalistic it is going to be for the Ryder Cup.

Buy hey here in Philly we threw snowballs at Santa Claus before most of our current fans were even born but we are horrible people because of it.

Im from Farmingdale, the town that holds 75% of Bethpage State Park.....I live 20 minutes North of there as of 2 years ago

I just found it funny someone from Philly would bring that up, and single out NYers, like your immune.

little ignorant statement? If you polled people whose fans/people are the nastiest.....we all know who would win. 

I highly doubt no one crossed any lines in Merion, How could you even verify....you can talk about this weekend cause its fresh in our minds....Im sure there were some wing bowl folks at Merion

I thought Merion was well behaved, but I heard some racist stuff about Tiger a couple times. Not yelling but just being said in a manner that people have no business saying things like that.

Ryder cup is going to be a disaster.
    the dumbest stuff I heard was MRS GRETZKY and Paulina related things

it was dumb....and some slob yelling at all on the 16th green that BETHPAGE DOESNT FUCKINNNN BREAKKKK

He was right, but keep it to yourself......Its definatly a Norheast thing.....but overserving people anywhere brings out the inner asshole

CROJAM95 said:

Im from Farmingdale, the town that holds 75% of Bethpage State Park.....I live 20 minutes North of there as of 2 years ago

I just found it funny someone from Philly would bring that up, and single out NYers, like your immune.

little ignorant statement? If you polled people whose fans/people are the nastiest.....we all know who would win. 

I highly doubt no one crossed any lines in Merion, How could you even verify....you can talk about this weekend cause its fresh in our minds....Im sure there were some wing bowl folks at Merion

Well lots of people online are bringing it up online including some of the participants themselves.  Read Varner's comments about how they treated Koepka yesterday.   so don't think i'm out of line for bringing it up here. Secondly I never defend Philly fans when they act like d-bags. No one should defend that type of behavior just because it is your area.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/harold-varner-iii-bashes-fans-130502487.html

edited May 2019

I just don't get why the day after a dude wins his 4th major in the last 8 tries, there is talk about his physique.  Granted, the tournament was about as compelling as paint drying, but that's what happens when a dude goes 63-65 on a brutal course.  I am not Koepka's biggest fan. I think the has the personality of my desk, but it works for him and who cares how long he plays.  I have asked this question before and I wonder if yesterday changes it.  Would you rather have DJ or Koepka's career to date? I think I take the latter after yesterday?

Does he though?  Haney is a whore and has made more money off the celebrity of "coaching" the best player in the world (who probably didn't even need a coach) than he has off of anything else.  If I were listing the people who know Tigers game the most it goes.  

Tiger
    Notah
    Butch
    MASSIVE GAP
    Haney
    Other Tiger coaches
    GAP
    Random analysts
    So two people know more about him than Haney? lol

I don't begrudge the guy for making money. 
    And he was Woods' coach for like 8 years. I think he knows his shit and I respect his opinion. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I heard Koepka say “ it felt like a real sporting event”

im sure it’s annoying to them, and he was giving a safe answer, but he’s doing pretty good up here... Shinnecock last year

It did feel like a music festival atmosphere, I’ve been to 2 US Opens, this PGA and a few other events.... this had the youngest crowd I’ve seen. 

Lotta weed vaping and drinking $15 beers
    CROJAM95 said:
    I heard Koepka say “ it felt like a real sporting event”

im sure it’s annoying to them, and he was giving a safe answer, but he’s doing pretty good up here... Shinnecock last year

It did feel like a music festival atmosphere, I’ve been to 2 US Opens, this PGA and a few other events.... this had the youngest crowd I’ve seen. 

Lotta weed vaping and drinking $15 beers
    But is this a good thing?  It's golf.
    ^I had a great time.....It felt like a Happy Gilmore Crowd for sure......like a rock event

I blame it on John Daly's cigarette smoking, McDonalds eating vibe JK......Oh yea we also have an obnoxious President, social media......strap in everyone, only gonna get worse

People just say shit these days, no filter
    CROJAM95 said:
    ^I had a great time.....It felt like a Happy Gilmore Crowd for sure......like a rock event

I blame it on John Daly's cigarette smoking, McDonalds eating vibe JK......Oh yea we also have an obnoxious President, social media......strap in everyone, only gonna get worse

People just say shit these days, no filter
    haha, it's only getting worse, especially the social media and people just wanting to hear or have a video of themself doing something stupid. I have had a great time at tournaments long these lines too.  Phoenix, President's cup to a lesser extent. I just don't know if that's a good thing for the game.  I don't think it is.  Golf is so unlike any other sport where you are within touching distance of these guys at times.

Koepka likes it because he hates golf.

Tiger
    Notah
    Butch
    MASSIVE GAP
    Haney
    Other Tiger coaches
    GAP
    Random analysts

And he was Woods' coach for like 8 years. I think he knows his shit and I respect his opinion. 
    Forgot that dipshit Foley.  Maybe him too.

I don't really begrudge anyone for making money. That's fine, but he's more of a celebrity, TV, book coach, club sponsor than anything else at this point. I think he's a clown.

Butch's swing was the best swing. Haney sucks.

Tiger
    Notah
    Butch
    MASSIVE GAP
    Haney
    Other Tiger coaches
    GAP
    Random analysts

I don't really begrudge anyone for making money. That's fine, but he's more of a celebrity, TV, book coach, club sponsor than anything else at this point. I think he's a clown.

Well there it is. You're just biased because of your Butch Harmon love.

Foley is the one who sucks. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

Tiger
    Notah
    Butch
    MASSIVE GAP
    Haney
    Other Tiger coaches
    GAP
    Random analysts

Well there it is. You're just biased because of your Butch Harmon love.

Foley is the one who sucks. 
    I think foley sucks too and is a gigantic nerd.

I am also of the opinion, in general, that Tiger never needed a coach/instructor, so I think they are all extremely overrated, but I think Butch Tiger was a better swing
    I repeat, Hank Haney sucks.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Just FYI if anybody is within a reasonable distance of Pebble Beach or knows someone that wants to go.

I'm selling ONE set of Trophy Club passes for the US Open that are good for the entire week of the tournament. Monday June 10 through Sunday June 16. Asking $850 shipped priority and fully insured.
    Kuchar really sealing the deal as a shit head this year
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    bflynn1 said:
    Just FYI if anybody is within a reasonable distance of Pebble Beach or knows someone that wants to go.

I'm selling ONE set of Trophy Club passes for the US Open that are good for the entire week of the tournament. Monday June 10 through Sunday June 16. Asking $850 shipped priority and fully insured.
    SOLD