Every day is Earth Day. Let's talk about ways to make it better.

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Sometimes when I have my dog out and it is recycling day...I peer into the recycling containers...I would say 80% of what's in most people's blue bins are water bottles...why are people still buying bottled water?  
    Probably because untreated tap water is risky and they can't afford a good built-in water filtration system.  But still, what they could do (this is what we do) in most places is use refillable glass or BPA free non-toxic refillable one, two or five gallon water dispensers, get them re-filled at a place that dispenses good filtered water, and if they want water to go, carry a stainless steel water bottle.
    Where are you living in the US that has untreated tap water?  Nowhere near me has untreated tap water.  Now some 1st nation reserves do not have drinkable water, those problems are solvable if our government actually spent the money to get it done...

And Nestle should be boycotted completely....

And you are right, get re-usable bottles. 

There is no need for most Western societies to need bottled water...
    Outside city limits- county.  We're on a well.  We have super hard water that corrodes the plumbing so had a water softener installed.  That water is potable but not good for the kidneys, so we get our water at Kinetico which has good, filtered water for drinking. 

We work in the the city of Placerville which does have treated water but I don't trust "treated" water.  How is it treated?  How well is it filtered?  What kind of pipes does it run through?  Is there fluoride in the water?  No way do I take chances like that!
    See, it probably takes minimal effort to refill your large jugs and use re-usable water...even my little town has a self serf outlet in which you can buy the water in bulk...

I'm sure some bottled water is just tap water...

I trust my water, we do not add fluoride to our water and most of our wastewater is treated before it gets released...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Sometimes when I have my dog out and it is recycling day...I peer into the recycling containers...I would say 80% of what's in most people's blue bins are water bottles...why are people still buying bottled water?  
    Probably because untreated tap water is risky and they can't afford a good built-in water filtration system.  But still, what they could do (this is what we do) in most places is use refillable glass or BPA free non-toxic refillable one, two or five gallon water dispensers, get them re-filled at a place that dispenses good filtered water, and if they want water to go, carry a stainless steel water bottle.
    Where are you living in the US that has untreated tap water?  Nowhere near me has untreated tap water.  Now some 1st nation reserves do not have drinkable water, those problems are solvable if our government actually spent the money to get it done...

Outside city limits- county.  We're on a well.  We have super hard water that corrodes the plumbing so had a water softener installed.  That water is potable but not good for the kidneys, so we get our water at Kinetico which has good, filtered water for drinking. 

We work in the the city of Placerville which does have treated water but I don't trust "treated" water.  How is it treated?  How well is it filtered?  What kind of pipes does it run through?  Is there fluoride in the water?  No way do I take chances like that!
    See, it probably takes minimal effort to refill your large jugs and use re-usable water...even my little town has a self serf outlet in which you can buy the water in bulk...

I trust my water, we do not add fluoride to our water and most of our wastewater is treated before it gets released...
    Yeah, for sure, refilling water jugs is no big deal.

Nice that you don't have fluoride in your water.  Many town do.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yeah, for sure, refilling water jugs is no big deal.

Nice that you don't have fluoride in your water.  Many town do.
    Most towns here do as well.  I just moved from a town that voted fluoride back in...the town I'm in now just held a vote on fluoride and fluoride free won...

I get thirsty throughout the night, I keep a reusable water bottle on my nightstand...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I remember reading about this somewhere- good info.  The solutions they propose sound good enough but even better- and why not?- I would think would be to just not make clothing out of plastic.  Why not just organic cotton or, better yet, hemp?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    I remember reading about this somewhere- good info.  The solutions they propose sound good enough but even better- and why not?- I would think would be to just not make clothing out of plastic.  Why not just organic cotton or, better yet, hemp?
    Hemp.  From everything I read, Hemp appears to be a possible substitute for many things.  But the cotton and plastic lobby are huge.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/06/world/un-biodiversity-report-end-of-nature-sutter-scn/index.html

things look bleaker than ever. and very few (if any) politicians in power have this as a priority. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/06/world/un-biodiversity-report-end-of-nature-sutter-scn/index.html

things look bleaker than ever. and very few (if any) politicians in power have this as a priority. 
    That is so true and mind boggling. 

Just as hard to understand is why more people in general aren't talking about it and doing something.   Humans are still reproducing at a high rate.  We buy all kinds of disposable plastic crap.  We fly in massive jets all over the place.  We buy plastic clothes.  We run noisy gas powered boats on our lakes and reservoirs.  We pave the land.  We drive SUV's and we drive too often.  We drive nature into the ground.  Hopefully the earth really will recover when we are gone.

brianlux said:

Just as hard to understand is why more people in general aren't talking about it and doing something.   Humans are still reproducing at a high rate.  We buy all kinds of disposable plastic crap.  We fly in massive jets all over the place.  We buy plastic clothes.  We run noisy gas powered boats on our lakes and reservoirs.  We pave the land.  We drive SUV's and we drive too often.  We drive nature into the ground.  Hopefully the earth really will recover when we are gone.
    Why would you expect the politicians to figure it out?  We have not even figured out how to properly recycle yet!  People are the problem, as long as we continue to overpopulate mother earth, mother earth gets that much closer to a point of no return.

Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

Why would you expect the politicians to figure it out?  We have not even figured out how to properly recycle yet!  People are the problem, as long as we continue to overpopulate mother earth, mother earth gets that much closer to a point of no return.

because it's normal to expect leaders to LEAD. the problem is, humans are short sighted, and if they don't see the problem happening at their feet, they either don't believe it or don't care or both. I mean, really, look at poverty in the world. It could be easily solved. And yet the biggest proponent of dealing with it is a single-named rock star (Bono). and no one else with any influence seems to give a fuck. 

Politicians will bend to the will of the people. If the people make it a priority, then the politicians will have no choice but to follow suit. 

But humans are too selfish and stupid to care. They think watching a documentary on netflix and feeling bad about it for a day is the end of their responsibility. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Like I said politicians are in control of recycling...how well is that working out?  Politicians are the short-sighted ones!  Their vision ends at the next election cycle.  And I have never looked to corrupt politicians for leadership any more than I seek guidance from the mob or the hells angels...they why we need term limits placed on all level of government...I originally thought 2 terms appropriate...now 1 6 year term seems more appropriate...there would be no more excuses, because if the politicians were only there for 1 term then they'd either pass meaningful laws or continue to be the lazy dolts that most of them are.  It is no coincidence that so many politicians are crooked lawyers.

Give Peas A Chance…
    Like I said politicians are in control of recycling...how well is that working out?  Politicians are the short-sighted ones!  Their vision ends at the next election cycle.  And I have never looked to corrupt politicians for leadership any more than I seek guidance from the mob or the hells angels...they why we need term limits placed on all level of government...I originally thought 2 terms appropriate...now 1 6 year term seems more appropriate...there would be no more excuses, because if the politicians were only there for 1 term then they'd either pass meaningful laws or continue to be the lazy dolts that most of them are.  It is no coincidence that so many politicians are crooked lawyers.

politicians are elected to represent the people and enact policies and laws that reflect the electorate, whether you like it or not. no, I don't look to them to solve all my problems. But I do expect them to keep promises they make, and I vote for those that align with the vision I have and what I think the country/planet requires. If they break those promises, then I vote them out. 

I'm not too concerned about term limits in Canada for elected positions. If you suck, you'll get voted out. simple as that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

I wouldn't expect or even want the politicians to figure out how to solve the problem- that's a job for scientists, engineers and the like.  What I would like to see politicians do is support those efforts- demand them even!

"A global garbage war"-- holy crap!

Which reminds me about a questions from you friends north of the border:  What's your take on CBC?  Are they similar to any of our major news networks- FOX, PBS, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, FBI and the CIA, and the BBC, BB King and Doris Day...Matt Busby?

brianlux said:

Which reminds me about a questions from you friends north of the border:  What's your take on CBC?  Are they similar to any of our major news networks- FOX, PBS, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, FBI and the CIA, and the BBC, BB King and Doris Day...Matt Busby?

I only watch the CBC for a little bit of news, hockey, 2 programs...The CBC receives plenty of money from the government in funding which it should not.  They also employed David Suzuki who I cannot stand. LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

I only watch the CBC for a little bit of news, hockey, 2 programs...The CBC receives plenty of money from the government in funding which it should not.  They also employed David Suzuki who I cannot stand. LOL
    you cannot stand david suzuki?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

no, CBC is highly respected as being mostly non-partisan. of course, "some" people will disagree. 

CBC gets funded by the canadian government, yes, as it is a public broadcaster, which I believe to be of the utmost importance. that way no one "owns" it and influences political spin on the content. and besides news, it has a huge amount of canadian entertainment content, which many people find quite valuable. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:

no, CBC is highly respected as being mostly non-partisan. of course, "some" people will disagree. 

CBC gets funded by the canadian government, yes, as it is a public broadcaster, which I believe to be of the utmost importance. that way no one "owns" it and influences political spin on the content. and besides news, it has a huge amount of canadian entertainment content, which many people find quite valuable. 

CBC is considered accurate with slight to moderately left leaning; not surprisingly, since the country as a whole is slight to moderately left leaning, and we all know what they say about truth...... ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Government has had decades to get recycling down to a science.  I'm sure that Carbon Tax will solve all the ills...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

CBC is considered accurate with slight to moderately left leaning; not surprisingly, since the country as a whole is slight to moderately left leaning, and we all know what they say about truth...... ;)
    I agree with that, but I've never seen anything obviously partisan though. mind you, I haven't had cable tv in many years, and didn't often watch CBC news, but when I did, I didn't find it partisan at all. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

I agree with that, but I've never seen anything obviously partisan though. mind you, I haven't had cable tv in many years, and didn't often watch CBC news, but when I did, I didn't find it partisan at all. 
    https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cbc-news-canadian-broadcasting/

Accurate reporting, slight left bias at times. 

I don’t watch at all, just read, and I rarely see overt bias. 

brianlux said:

Hard to imagine.

Anybody catch the little Beatles reference in my post?

edited May 2019
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Hard to imagine.

Anybody catch the little Beatles reference in my post?
    David Suzuki is another hypocrite...

However, he gave an interview one time in some French language publication where he criticized Canada's immigration system and basically said Canada is full...his theory on why is solid...Canada only has so much usable surface, and that is hard to argue!  If this is correct that he said that, and was not misquoted then I agree 100% with him...I will also add that Canada is the second coldest country on earth and many places in Canada can be a harsh climate to live...and not many people have the skills necessary to live in many of these places in Canada.  That's why most Canadians huddle up down south near the US border...without that border, many of us would be even farther south...LOL

I have read a few articles where some of the Syrian refugees that settled in the more harsh climates in Canada were looking for help to move to less harsh climates...

I will see if i can locate the Suzuki interview.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2019

Douglas Todd: Radical environmentalists have strong views on immigration

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/douglas-todd-how-radical-environmentalists-view-immigration

The Vancouver-based founder of the influential Suzuki Foundation was quoted in a French magazine in 2013  saying Canada’s immigration policy was disgusting because “we plunder southern countries by depriving them of future leaders, and we want to increase our population to support economic growth. … It’s crazy!”

Like some European environmentalists, Suzuki maintained “Canada is full” because most population growth occurs in congested cities. While praising Canadian multiculturalism and supporting welcoming more refugees, Suzuki’s main arguments zeroed in on how Canada is contributing to the brain drain from developing countries and that population growth is an environmentally destructive way to prop up Western economies.

Now, this is a right-wing newspaper...but the quote is readily available online.

He has raised some good points about the brain drain, so we the west rapes and pillages other countries resources we steal the best and brightest people from these developing nations...that sounds about right.  What about Syria, are they not going to need smart, strong and youthful people to rebuild.  Should they not be required to move home since the war is over?

Seems good ole David and I agree on something after all.  I may re-think my position on good ole Dave.

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I personally am happy that Canada stepped up and welcomed in Syrian refugees when they faced death in their own country.

Canada is not full. The war in Syria is not over. It's generally not a good idea to get foreign policy ideas from Trump and his ilk. 
    I personally am happy that Canada stepped up and welcomed in Syrian refugees when they faced death in their own country.

Canada is not full. The war in Syria is not over. It's generally not a good idea to get foreign policy ideas from Trump and his ilk. 
    100%
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Douglas Todd: Radical environmentalists have strong views on immigration

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/douglas-todd-how-radical-environmentalists-view-immigration

The Vancouver-based founder of the influential Suzuki Foundation was quoted in a French magazine in 2013  saying Canada’s immigration policy was disgusting because “we plunder southern countries by depriving them of future leaders, and we want to increase our population to support economic growth. … It’s crazy!”

Now, this is a right-wing newspaper...but the quote is readily available online.

Seems good ole David and I agree on something after all.  I may re-think my position on good ole Dave.

Give Peas A Chance…