Poll--The Weakest Link: The Eagles 'Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975' 1st Round

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
We have now crowned 7 Champions and now will move onto another critically acclaimed album.
'Back In Black' Champion - Hells Bells
'Led Zeppelin IV' Champion - When the Levee Breaks
'Second Helping' Champion - The Needle and the Spoon
'Sports' Champion - The Heart Of Rock & Roll
'Slippery When Wet' Champion - Wanted Dead or Alive
'Dark Side of the Moon' Champion - Time
'The Stranger' - Scenes From An Italian Restaurant

We will play this time to determine the GREATEST song on the ONLY greatest hits album on my list. 'Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975' by The Eagles.
For anyone new to the game:
You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 3 days I remove the three (3) songs with the most votes.
We will then move on to Round 2. - Remember you are voting to eliminate songs from contention.

Lets have fun with this. Remember debating and discussing why your right and others are wrong is always fun.  

Poll--The Weakest Link: The Eagles 'Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975' 1st Round 37 votes

Take It Easy
2%
rgambs 1 vote
Witchy Woman
5%
josevolutionNami 2 votes
Lyin' Eyes
5%
PJ_SoulBlack,red,yellow 2 votes
Already Gone
8%
Of The AggiepledgeagrievanceGlorified KC 3 votes
Desperado
10%
hedonistBIGDaddyWilDewieCoxHesCalledDyer 4 votes
One Of These Nights
5%
brianluxSmallestOceans 2 votes
Tequila Sunrise
2%
pjhawks 1 vote
Take It To The Limit
5%
Ponciertbergs 2 votes
Peaceful, Easy Feeling
10%
dr. Mowinckeled243421MedozKrummy 4 votes
Best Of My Love
43%
jeffbrbootlegger10cutzpjsteelerfanRP112579Thirty Bills UnpaidBLACK35F Me In The BrainhauntingfamiliarHobbesmrussel1tempo_n_groovejerparker20njnancyjoe159Smsmartins18 16 votes

Comments

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited April 2019
    Peaceful, Easy Feeling

Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975) is the first compilation album by the Eagles, released in 1976. The album contains a selection of songs from the Eagles' first four albums released in the period from the Eagles' formation in 1971 up to 1975. It is the best-selling album of the 20th century in the United States, with a 38× Platinum certification by the Recording Industry Association of America. In 2017, it was selected for preservation in the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or artistically significant."

PS - Don't be a "Lebowski", listen and vote. :wink:
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Best Of My Love
    Best selling album of all time, in the US.  
    Good choice - and also to call out The Dude, since that was going to be the first thought of a high percentage of us 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    How come you don't vote, OP?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Take It Easy
    It seems like such a bold move that really paid off to release a greatest hits album so early.  Love it.  Solid stuff.

I always thought the Dude hating the fucking Eagles, man, was a deliberately weird choice.  We didn't have the terminology to voice it, but I feel like they were trolling us.
    The Eagles should be near the top of a guy like the Dude's list.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    One Of These Nights
    Well now, this is an interesting poll choice for me.  In general, looking at the band's entire career, the Eagles to me are a careerist middle of the road band that appeals to a lower common denominator.  I don't have, and never will have any of their albums.*  But all that said, I cannot deny that some of theirs best songs are ones that I like... dare I say it?... a lot.  This one will get tough if the handful that really work for me are still in the running in the last few rounds. 

* I also want to point out that my comments about music, bluntly honest as they are at times, are not meant to offend anyone's tastes.  To me there is no "bad music", although there might be bad motives for making music.  And I respect everyone's taste in music.  I will never say, "You suck because you love The Eagles".    If you love Nickleback, good for you.  If you think MDC was an important hard-core band, good for you and me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    One Of These Nights
    Obligatory...

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Desperado
    LA has lots of Eagles history :)

Elaine's boyfriend's "song" is a no-go for me.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited April 2019
    Best Of My Love
    How could someone vote for Desperado on the first round?  There are monsters on this board roaming amongst us.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Best Of My Love
    Haha . I considered Desperado for round 1.  If it is still there it likely gets my next vote 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Take It Easy
    brianlux said:
    Well now, this is an interesting poll choice for me.  In general, looking at the band's entire career, the Eagles to me are a careerist middle of the road band that appeals to a lower common denominator.  I don't have, and never will have any of their albums.*  But all that said, I cannot deny that some of theirs best songs are ones that I like... dare I say it?... a lot.  This one will get tough if the handful that really work for me are still in the running in the last few rounds. 

* I also want to point out that my comments about music, bluntly honest as they are at times, are not meant to offend anyone's tastes.  To me there is no "bad music", although there might be bad motives for making music.  And I respect everyone's taste in music.  I will never say, "You suck because you love The Eagles".    If you love Nickleback, good for you.  If you think MDC was an important hard-core band, good for you and me.
    Undeniably "middle of the road" music.  To me, Eagles are what pop music SHOULD be!  I say the same thing for Bob Seeger, Doobie Brothers and Randy Newman.  They made high quality, broad appeal music, not because they wanted to be pop stars and make a gazillion bucks, but because middle of the road music was just genuine to them.  Nothing wrong with that in my book, but I'm not very experimentally inclined.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Best Of My Love
    hedonist said:
    LA has lots of Eagles history :)

Elaine's boyfriend's "song" is a no-go for me.

What about Elaine's "song"?>LOL
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Desperado
    I'm with "the Dude" on this band, don't know why.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    One Of These Nights
    How could someone vote for Desperado on the first round?  There are monsters on this board roaming amongst us.
    I would find it hard to vote "Desperado" off so quickly myself but,  even though I suspect you were kidding, I would never be so quick as to refer to someone as good and as cool as Hedonist as "a monster". 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Desperado
    Haha, no offense taken.

Is there a method to the voting in these polls?  It's my first, and I went with what I think doesn't hold much water.  No?
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Best Of My Love
    This album seemed to be the soundtrack for the wrapping up of the weekend bonfire kegger in high school. Five dollar cups, Busch Lite, shit weed, teenage awkwardness, and the fucking Eagles to call it a night.
    One Of These Nights
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

Undeniably "middle of the road" music.  To me, Eagles are what pop music SHOULD be!  I say the same thing for Bob Seeger, Doobie Brothers and Randy Newman.  They made high quality, broad appeal music, not because they wanted to be pop stars and make a gazillion bucks, but because middle of the road music was just genuine to them.  Nothing wrong with that in my book, but I'm not very experimentally inclined.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say there is something wrong with creating pop music, being what it is (and The Eagles are certainly that), but I also find it curious that more people are not inclined to listen outside the box- at least some of the time.  

Doobie's certainly fall under the same category.  Seeger also, although I'm more a fan of his than Eagles or Doobies.  Randy Newman though I don't see in the same category.  He really only had a couple of big hits (one which went over many people's head- "Short People") and a lot of his stuff is almost virtually unknown because much of it fits in that "musician's songwriter" category.

Best Of My Love
    No method ...give a listen to the record if needed ...vote for the least favorite song of yours every round 
    Funny how differently we all can hear the same albums!
    Best Of My Love
    brianlux said:
    I would find it hard to vote "Desperado" off so quickly myself but,  even though I suspect you were kidding, I would never be so quick as to refer to someone as good and as cool as Hedonist as "a monster". 
    There was no humor in my post.  100% serious :)
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Take It To The Limit
    Finally, one of these polls where I actually own the vinyl! I really love the The Eagles 2 greatest hits albums. No shame here. I actually prefer the second volume though because I found the cassette in my aunt's childhood room when we helped clean out the house my dad grew up in as a kid. That was the summer of '92. I played the hell out of that cassette. My aunt also really dug Kiss, but I didn't, and still don't, get the love for that band. I left those cassettes behind. Sorry @Spiritual_Chaos :(

Anyway, just wrapped up side one on the vinyl and how anyone could vote for one of those songs baffles me. The banjo at the end of Take It Easy is awesome. If you voted for that song, then you should be forced to be taken advantage of by the banjo player in Deliverance. And Witchy Woman, those drums and that intro, pure sweetness.

Time for side 2. This may be harder than the Zeppelin rounds for me because I don't have a clear favorite on this one.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    edited April 2019
    Take It To The Limit
    Duuuuude! This song is so bad ass. :rock_on: The drums, guitar and lyrics. Love it!

https://youtu.be/kuEvA1bv_MQ
    Take It To The Limit
    Alright, I found the weak spot; Take it to the Limit. I could do without that one.  
  • Best Of My Love
    Take It Easy & Already Gone voters...

Like... come on, man. Did your parents not hug you enough as a child? How did you get to be the way you have become? Share. So we can all learn something.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Best Of My Love
    Good band,  great Greatest Hits,  and the original pressings are tremendous (and dirt cheap, at 38x platinum). 

I grew up in Cleveland, which is a good rock town obviously.  WMMS used to do a Rock n Roll 500 every year for the Cleveland 500 IRL race,  fan vote. For whatever reason,  Already Gone was always in the top 5. So I have to predict that will be the winner. 
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Best Of My Love
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

See, I've always thought of bands like The Eagles, Doobie Bros, Bob Seeger, John Mellencamp, George Thorogood, Bryan Adams, etc as Rock & Roll. They aren't in one of the hard rock, prog rock, jam band, etc type categories. They are just pure Rock & Roll - they've got the blues in the songs but they are light and just what 50's type Rock and Roll would be when it had grown up.  I don't see them as Pop, Randy Newman for sure and KC & the Sunshine Band, Bo Donaldson, The Carpenters, definitely Pop for that time period. 

But it doesn't matter what genre it's shoved into. Music is music. We like what we like. 

I always thought that this music came out when I was in high school, at least Hotel California, but it was much earlier. I guess I just discovered the albums in high school. I like the Eagles. Don't love them, but definitely know probably most of their songs. Gotta listen to the album, I know them all but need to listen to find my loser. 
    Best Of My Love
    As of 9:42pm EST time on 4/28/19, there are three confirmed monsters on this board.
    One Of These Nights
    As of 9:42pm EST time on 4/28/19, there are three confirmed monsters on this board.
    Now tell me this, what's wrong with monsters?

Desperado
    I'm out there, and I'm loving every minute of it!

Back in the 80s when I was blonde and had hair down to my ass (ah, long-gone are those days), I was at my salon for an appointment.  Saw Don Henley walking by but didn't recognize who he was at the time - just that he was pretty damned good-looking.  We smiled at each other, I had an "aha" moment, and this chick was on cloud 9 for the rest of the day :)
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited April 2019
    Tequila Sunrise
    I like a lot of the Eagles songs and will listen when I hear one come on. That being said I can't think of a time when I've really gone out of my way to put one on myself.  they've never been songs that i would choose for certain moments or moods.  good solid rock/pop/country songs but not anything earth shattering other than Hotel California.  And using a greatest hits record for this is going to make this really difficult to choose each round.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Best Of My Love
    hedonist said:
    I'm out there, and I'm loving every minute of it!

Back in the 80s when I was blonde and had hair down to my ass (ah, long-gone are those days), I was at my salon for an appointment.  Saw Don Henley walking by but didn't recognize who he was at the time - just that he was pretty damned good-looking.  We smiled at each other, I had an "aha" moment, and this chick was on cloud 9 for the rest of the day :)
    Don Henley? More like Don Heavenly. 

See the source image
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Desperado
    I'm with The Dude regarding the Eagles.  Mom & Dad Rock 101.
This discussion has been closed.