Poll--The Weakest Link: The Eagles 'Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975' 1st Round

13»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited April 2019
    Lyin' Eyes
    brianlux said:
    Curious as to why so much hate for The Eagles, I looked around and found this article that explains some of the dislike:

Personally, I don't hate The Eagles.  For a time, I really liked some of their songs back in the 70's when they came out.   But there are somethings that have left me cold to their music-

-Radio overplay.  Yes some of the songs are very good, but to me they are not great enough to hear for the 10,000th time.  Typical of the way FM radio (not including college radio) got sold out to corporate media, the same hits get played to death.  DJ's (or robotic DJ's) are not willing to play anything but the same handful of a popular bands songs.

-Talkin' 'bout my generation.  So many of my peers became stuck musically at around the middle of the 70's and seem quite satisfied with that.  The Eagles are about as contemporary as it gets for so many my age.  Kind of like my parents getting stuck at around the time of Glen Miller, as if any music after a certain period became irrelevant.  I always found that strange.

-To me, The Eagles are a kind of California  cliché- all palm trees, sunshine and blonde babes.  Truth is, this state has a much broader palate that that.  And you're not likely to spot an eagle in southern California.  It would make more sense to call a band from Alaska "The Eagles".

-Playing it safe.  This is a personal issue for me and I have to try not to criticize others for liking "safe" music.  I like music and art that is more adventurous and/or challenging.  The Eagles are like a sweet smoothy and for those who want their music to go down easy, that's fine.  It's just not for me.

For me it is simply their icky country-like style slinking through all their work, lol. I can't stand it. It just rubs me the wrong way. I think there are maybe 3 or 4 Eagles songs that I kind of like listening to.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Take It To The Limit
    brianlux said:
    Curious as to why so much hate for The Eagles, I looked around and found this article that explains some of the dislike:

Personally, I don't hate The Eagles.  For a time, I really liked some of their songs back in the 70's when they came out.   But there are somethings that have left me cold to their music-

-Radio overplay.  Yes some of the songs are very good, but to me they are not great enough to hear for the 10,000th time.  Typical of the way FM radio (not including college radio) got sold out to corporate media, the same hits get played to death.  DJ's (or robotic DJ's) are not willing to play anything but the same handful of a popular bands songs.

-Talkin' 'bout my generation.  So many of my peers became stuck musically at around the middle of the 70's and seem quite satisfied with that.  The Eagles are about as contemporary as it gets for so many my age.  Kind of like my parents getting stuck at around the time of Glen Miller, as if any music after a certain period became irrelevant.  I always found that strange.

-To me, The Eagles are a kind of California  cliché- all palm trees, sunshine and blonde babes.  Truth is, this state has a much broader palate that that.  And you're not likely to spot an eagle in southern California.  It would make more sense to call a band from Alaska "The Eagles".

-Playing it safe.  This is a personal issue for me and I have to try not to criticize others for liking "safe" music.  I like music and art that is more adventurous and/or challenging.  The Eagles are like a sweet smoothy and for those who want their music to go down easy, that's fine.  It's just not for me.
    That one is funny because none of the original Eagles are even from California, they're all from the midwest.
    Henley is from Tejas.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Desperado
    Sometimes "safe" music is just fine at times.  Even needed.

To take offense at someone not liking my (or another's) musical choices, considered hackneyed or not?  That'd just be silly.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Best Of My Love
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

For me it is simply their icky country-like style slinking through all their work, lol. I can't stand it. It just rubs me the wrong way. I think there are maybe 3 or 4 Eagles songs that I kind of like listening to.
    You don't like any country rock?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Take It To The Limit
    Besides Best of My Love, any other song is pretty much up for elimination at this point.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Lyin' Eyes
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

No, I hate it. I mean, there is an exception to EVERY rule, so there are a few songs that fall into that category that I think of as an exception, but yeah, I really really hate it in general. It's my most hated music genre.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Best Of My Love
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

No, I hate it. I mean, there is an exception to EVERY rule, so there are a few songs that fall into that category that I think of as an exception, but yeah, I really really hate it in general. It's my most hated music genre.
    You like Screamo more than Country Rock?

is better than any of these?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    Best Of My Love
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

You like Screamo more than Country Rock?

is better than any of these?

That's my type of music.

Yes please!!!

The top song not the bottom stuff though Up On Cripple Creek is a great song.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Lyin' Eyes
    Lol. I do like "Screamo" better than country rock! But I don't listen to death metal either. I've had my fill. I dated someone for a couple years who exclusively listened to European death metal, and I tolerated it for his sake. I've had enough of that shit to last two lifetimes! :lol:
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    The nicest thing I can say about the Eagles is that they were a good backing band for Linda Ronstadt.

Oh, and I like some of Joe Walsh's solo material and the James Gang. Too bad he had to soften it up for Henley, Frey and the rest of the vanilla douchelords that comprise this band. 
    Agreed, Walsh and James Gang did some good work.
    Also, Walden Pond/Woods is about the most unremarkable place I've ever gone out of my way to visit. 

And Thoreau is a pansy who couldn't even make it to the summit of Katahdin. Stick to walking around your flat, ugly suburban pond, you monumental milquetoast. Real nature is untamed.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Best Of My Love
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

Some of my favorite albums of all time are country rock..
    Stones - Exile on Main Street and Let it Bleed
    NY - Harvest
    CSNY - Deja Vu
    Dead - American Beauty
    Traveling Wilburys vol 3

I could go on and on.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Lyin' Eyes
    Neil Young is a tough one for me - I have to curate him to get rid of the country sounding songs, lol. Lucky for me, he has plenty of work that doesn't hit that twang. I've got the same issue with Wilco and Ryan Adams. When they don't hit the country note I LOVE them. When they do, it feels like a fresh disappointment each time, lol.
  • Options
    Best Of My Love
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

NY - Harvest
    CSNY - Deja Vu
    Dead - American Beauty
    Traveling Wilburys vol 3

I could go on and on.
    My favorite rap country song is Ghetto cowboy.  Turn the bass up and enjoy!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited April 2019
    Desperado
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

NY - Harvest
    CSNY - Deja Vu
    Dead - American Beauty
    Traveling Wilburys vol 3

I could go on and on.
    Sweet Home Country Grammar is where it’s at!
    EDIT: And it’s amazing I say that because I hate Skynyrd and loathe Nelly, but put the two songs together and presto, it’s quite catchy.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    Best Of My Love
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

NY - Harvest
    CSNY - Deja Vu
    Dead - American Beauty
    Traveling Wilburys vol 3

I could go on and on.
    Sweet Home Country Grammar is where it’s at!
    Nelly, country in St Louis!
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Best Of My Love
    Take It Easy & Already Gone voters...

Like... come on, man. Did your parents not hug you enough as a child? How did you get to be the way you have become? Share. So we can all learn something.
    :lol:  This is so good.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited May 2019
    Peaceful, Easy Feeling
    Round 1 has ended with Best Of My Love, Peaceful, Easy Feeling, and Desperado eliminated.
This discussion has been closed.