Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: The Eagles 'Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975' 1st Round

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Best Of My Love
    I'm with The Dude regarding the Eagles.  Mom & Dad Rock 101.
    We just voted on Bill Frigging Joel!  ;)

The Eagles are Pantera compared to that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    Peaceful, Easy Feeling
    The eagles are like Thanos. Half the people hate em, half the people like em.

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Desperado

I'd rather listen to the worst Billy Joel song than the best Eagles song (is there even such a thing) any day!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Best Of My Love

I'd rather listen to the worst Billy Joel song than the best Eagles song (is there even such a thing) any day!
    Ha.
    I can listen to them both, however that does not change the fact that it is old fogie music. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Best Of My Love
    I'll be sitting this one out too as I can't stand the Eagles...
  • Options
    Best Of My Love
    I only voted to see the results but I don't like the song so that is a fair assessment from me.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Take It Easy
    Nothing in the entire catalogues of the Eagles and each member's side work equals some of the cringey crud that Joel did.
    Uptown Girl?
    Keeping the Faith?
    The Longest Time?
    Yuck lol

80's Joel doo-wop sucks!  Play something from Strangers, man!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Best Of My Love
    rgambs said:
    Nothing in the entire catalogues of the Eagles and each member's side work equals some of the cringey crud that Joel did.
    Uptown Girl?
    Keeping the Faith?
    The Longest Time?
    Yuck lol

This is horrific

• Options
    Best Of My Love
    rgambs said:
    Uptown Girl?
    Keeping the Faith?
    The Longest Time?
    Yuck lol

Longest Time is a great song.  I like doo wop too though...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Best Of My Love
    rgambs said:
    Uptown Girl?
    Keeping the Faith?
    The Longest Time?
    Yuck lol

This is horrific

Also not on the album.  
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Best Of My Love
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    Uptown Girl?
    Keeping the Faith?
    The Longest Time?
    Yuck lol

This is horrific

Also not on the album.  
    Yes, correct.  Gambs mentioned the entire catalogues of the Eagles and each member's side work....

• Options
    Best Of My Love
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    Uptown Girl?
    Keeping the Faith?
    The Longest Time?
    Yuck lol

This is horrific

Also not on the album.  
    Yes, correct.  Gambs mentioned the entire catalogues of the Eagles and each member's side work....

I see.  I enjoy some Eagles, as I like country rock (Neil, the Dead, CSNY, etc.).  The Eagles definitely meet that threshold.  But I definitely don't go deep into the catalog.  The two greatest hits and then strong parts of Hotel California are plenty.  
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494
    Already Gone
    What a difficult choice!  I like every song on this record.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited April 2019
    Lyin' Eyes
    Oh man, I dislike so many of these songs, it is very difficult to choose which one I dislike the most! I mean, I could practically close my eyes and pick one blindly and be okay with the result... I actually kind of like Desperado though.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    I only voted to see the results but I don't like the song so that is a fair assessment from me.
    you can view the results without voting you know, right?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Take It To The Limit
    Haters gonna hate, but you still suck :tongue:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Best Of My Love
    I know all the songs and listening to the album, I really didn't know which to vote off ... and then the last song played. I love Don Henley but the beginning of the song alone just reminds me of it coming on the easy listening station while being driven to the doctor's office by my parents.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Take It Easy
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh man, I dislike so many of these songs, it is very difficult to choose which one I dislike the most! I mean, I could practically close my eyes and pick one blindly and be okay with the result... I actually kind of like Desperado though.
    I am forever trapped in dismissal of your subjective opinions since you passionately defended Bugs and FoxyMop lol
    I'm always just in the back of my head wanting to respond to all your opinions with, "yeah, but you like Bugs, so what do you know" lol

I don't think I will ever be able to forward from it. :i_dunno:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Best Of My Love
    you can view the results without voting you know, right?
    Didn't know that?  How?
  • Options
    Best Of My Love
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am forever trapped in dismissal of your subjective opinions since you passionately defended Bugs and FoxyMop lol
    I'm always just in the back of my head wanting to respond to all your opinions with, "yeah, but you like Bugs, so what do you know" lol

I'm guilty of loving Bugs too...
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Best Of My Love

Desperado not making out of round 1
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    edited April 2019
    One Of These Nights
    Curious as to why so much hate for The Eagles, I looked around and found this article that explains some of the dislike:

Personally, I don't hate The Eagles.  For a time, I really liked some of their songs back in the 70's when they came out.   But there are somethings that have left me cold to their music-

-Radio overplay.  Yes some of the songs are very good, but to me they are not great enough to hear for the 10,000th time.  Typical of the way FM radio (not including college radio) got sold out to corporate media, the same hits get played to death.  DJ's (or robotic DJ's) are not willing to play anything but the same handful of a popular bands songs.

-Talkin' 'bout my generation.  So many of my peers became stuck musically at around the middle of the 70's and seem quite satisfied with that.  The Eagles are about as contemporary as it gets for so many my age.  Kind of like my parents getting stuck at around the time of Glen Miller, as if any music after a certain period became irrelevant.  I always found that strange.

-To me, The Eagles are a kind of California  cliché- all palm trees, sunshine and blonde babes.  Truth is, this state has a much broader palate that that.  And you're not likely to spot an eagle in southern California.  It would make more sense to call a band from Alaska "The Eagles".

-Playing it safe.  This is a personal issue for me and I have to try not to criticize others for liking "safe" music.  I like music and art that is more adventurous and/or challenging.  The Eagles are like a sweet smoothy and for those who want their music to go down easy, that's fine.  It's just not for me.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Desperado
    brianlux said:
    Curious as to why so much hate for The Eagles, I looked around and found this article that explains some of the dislike:

Personally, I don't hate The Eagles.  For a time, I really liked some of their songs back in the 70's when they came out.   But there are somethings that have left me cold to their music-

-Radio overplay.  Yes some of the songs are very good, but to me they are not great enough to hear for the 10,000th time.  Typical of the way FM radio (not including college radio) got sold out to corporate media, the same hits get played to death.  DJ's (or robotic DJ's) are not willing to play anything but the same handful of a popular bands songs.

-Talkin' 'bout my generation.  So many of my peers became stuck musically at around the middle of the 70's and seem quite satisfied with that.  The Eagles are about as contemporary as it gets for so many my age.  Kind of like my parents getting stuck at around the time of Glen Miller, as if any music after a certain period became irrelevant.  I always found that strange.

-To me, The Eagles are a kind of California  cliché- all palm trees, sunshine and blonde babes.  Truth is, this state has a much broader palate that that.  And you're not likely to spot an eagle in southern California.  It would make more sense to call a band from Alaska "The Eagles".

-Playing it safe.  This is a personal issue for me and I have to try not to criticize others for liking "safe" music.  I like music and art that is more adventurous and/or challenging.  The Eagles are like a sweet smoothy and for those who want their music to go down easy, that's fine.  It's just not for me.
    That one is funny because none of the original Eagles are even from California, they're all from the midwest.
  • Options
    One Of These Nights
    brianlux said:

That one is funny because none of the original Eagles are even from California, they're all from the midwest.
    No shit?  I didn't know that!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The nicest thing I can say about the Eagles is that they were a good backing band for Linda Ronstadt.

Oh, and I like some of Joe Walsh's solo material and the James Gang. Too bad he had to soften it up for Henley, Frey and the rest of the vanilla douchelords that comprise this band. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    One Of These Nights
    dankind said:
    The nicest thing I can say about the Eagles is that they were a good backing band for Linda Ronstadt.

Oh, and I like some of Joe Walsh's solo material and the James Gang. Too bad he had to soften it up for Henley, Frey and the rest of the vanilla douchelords that comprise this band. 
    Agreed, Walsh and James Gang did some good work.

• Options
    Desperado
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yep, Timothy Schmit is the only Californian in the band's history.
  • Options
    Best Of My Love
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Next you'll tell me that none of them are from Winslow, Arizona?
  • Options
    Best Of My Love
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Next you'll tell me that none of them are from Winslow, Arizona?
    Ha!  
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Lyin' Eyes
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

:lol: Just think about all the music that we both agree on - there is a lot of it!! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
This discussion has been closed.