What is your favorite (or call it "greatest") bioregion in the world?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
We currently have an on-going "greatest country in the world themed" thread.  Why not make it real!?  After all, countries are really just artificial designations on land with (mostly) lines drawn on maps that are otherwise invisible (unless you want to build a wall around your country or use a river marks the edge).

So what is your favorite bioregion?  The boreal forest of we we call "British Columbia"? The arid deserts of the Great Basin? The Savanna grasslands of what is referred to as northern "Australia"?

One of my favorites is Cascadia, a name given what is referred to as "a great green land on the northeast Pacific Rim.  It looks like this:

And you can learn about it here:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Is this where we cut down every bio-region for all of their faults?

hippiemom = goodness
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

nah, just the southern parts of the nearctic ecozone
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786

Pun intended?

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    edited April 2019

LOL!

But seriously, that's the beauty of bio-regions-- none of them as they naturally occur have intrinsic faults.  Except the Pacific Rim which have numerous faults and can really shake up some shit now and then!  But that's OK too because even earthquake faults are without malfeasance.  Bio-regions maintain a balance.  (Humans have upset those balances, but that's only a temporary situation but, this isn't about all that.)

Sooooo, Cincy, assuming you haven't spent you entire life in an urban environment, are there any bio-regions you appreciate above others?  Would you rather spend time deep in a forest, explore the canyons of an arid desert region, turn over rocks at low tide in tide-pools in search of madreporite echinoderms, suntan in the nude in Antarctica?
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Palawan was the most beautiful place I have ever visited.  Jungles, mangroves, reefs, plant and bird life.

Smellyman said:
    Palawan was the most beautiful place I have ever visited.  Jungles, mangroves, reefs, plant and bird life.

Looks like paradise!

brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

Looks like paradise!
    took the words right out of my mouth brian!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

Looks like paradise!
    Its one of the  best looking places in the  world  by the looks of it.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I'm not sure I would like living in a desert but some of my favorite places to visit have been deserts.  Some favorites...

Arches National Park:

Zion National Park:

Bryce Canyon National Park:

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I agree, Brian; I love deserts. Love to hike in them, love to just enjoy the stark scenery. 

But for a wonderful place to live, it’s hard to beat where I live. Green and lush and bursting with life. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Smellyman said:

Wow that's absolutely gorgeous!
    I think my favorite bioregion is the Rocky Mountains: Alberta, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado.  I'd head out there any day of the week.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Lofoten Islands in Norway and Karijini NP in Western Australia!

when I see pics as gorgeous and colorful as the waterfall one above, it always looks somewhat "fake" or touched up to me. Is that the case, or is the photographer just that good at capturing the lighting just perfectly?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

JPPJ84 said:
    Lofoten Islands in Norway and Karijini NP in Western Australia!

Beautiful!

when I see pics as gorgeous and colorful as the waterfall one above, it always looks somewhat "fake" or touched up to me. Is that the case, or is the photographer just that good at capturing the lighting just perfectly?
    Of course it’s been a bit photoshopped but Karijini is breathtakingly beautiful and the colors are so vivid!
    talking about colours... Landmannalaugar in Iceland looks like a pastel picture!

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Abundant farming regions are overlooked because they lack the scenery 
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited April 2019
    I think what we will find in this thread and hope it keeps going, nature in it's pristine condition is mind numbly beautiful. 

Wayag indonesia.

and I am biased,but I could spend my life traveling the entire western US and Canada
    Post edited by Smellyman on
    Smellyman said:
    I think what we will find in this thread and hope it keeps going, nature in it's pristine condition is mind numbly beautiful. 

Wayag indonesia.

Wow!!
    I agree, Brian; I love deserts. Love to hike in them, love to just enjoy the stark scenery. 

But for a wonderful place to live, it’s hard to beat where I live. Green and lush and bursting with life. 
    I absolutely love the desert!  I have some great memories in Joshua tree np, Arizona and New Mexico. I do have to spend some more time in Vancouver, place looks amazing.  What is the name of the hippy colony in the middle off nowhere. 
    Even places close to urban areas can be beautiful.  This is from a walk we took spring before last on the east side of Folsom Reservoir with lupine in full bloom, not far from the sprawling greater Sacramento metropolis:

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Brooklyn

I SAW PEARL JAM
    My current spot and one of my favorite bioregions:

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    mcgruff10 said:

The current is absolutely my favorite spot, as well.

California or Cascadia seem to be my two favorites from where I have been.  Had to look up Bioregions to check out mapping.

California is tough to top.  It has everything -- ocean, forest, desert, mountains...no rainforest, I guess.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072

Heres my favorite thanks to dealing with all you f’ers all the time! ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Detroit...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Detroit...
    Two people unclear on the concept of "bio- region".   (LOL, just giving your guys a bad time.  :wink: )

mcgruff10 said:

California or Cascadia seem to be my two favorites from where I have been.  Had to look up Bioregions to check out mapping.

California is tough to top.  It has everything -- ocean, forest, desert, mountains...no rainforest, I guess.

We're going to Yosemite next week- hopefully early enough to avoid the worse of the crowds.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    A girl once asked me to visit Svalbard, where she moved for some reason. I didn't pick her up on her offer. Then she met some dude there and got a child. Now I will never get the chance to see Svalbard:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    brianlux said:

Detroit...
    Two people unclear on the concept of "bio- region".   (LOL, just giving your guys a bad time.  :wink: )

mcgruff10 said:

We're going to Yosemite next week- hopefully early enough to avoid the worse of the crowds.
    Such an amazing place.  (And pictures really do it little justice, most times..)  Enjoy it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    A girl once asked me to visit Svalbard, where she moved for some reason. I didn't pick her up on her offer. Then she met some dude there and got a child. Now I will never get the chance to see Svalbard:

Oh, darn.

(That looks like my own private hell.)
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    dankind said:

Oh, darn.

(That looks like my own private hell.)
    Alice in Chains reference?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"