Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    do you honestly believe she was speaking in terms of all divorced men with children?

damn quotes are fucking up on my phone.
    @cincybearcat musta got lost in the shuffle

Sorry I didn’t see it.

I don’t think that’s what she meant. But it’s kinda what she said. Again - just surprised by her making a comment like that.
    stereotype or not, it spoke to me of a specific type that does in fact exist. and since that type does exist she gets a pass from me.

and to me its an accurate enough analogy. for what she was trying to say. which is current "dad" is a clueless oaf with no idea what the fuck he's doing.
    So I can use sterotypes if it i true at least some of the time?
    So I can make fun of  Asians for being bad drivers now? I can assume anyone working in a quicki-mart is Indian and make fun of them? I mean, that is a type that does exist right?

Her analogy didnt offend me, but I can;t believe anyone would say its okay to use stereotypes as long as that type exists.
    I mean...the Simpsons have used your second stereotype for almost 30 years now.  The Asian stereotype is another funny one. I remember an Office episode with a joke about it. And, gasp, it was funny. 

This is kind of what I was referring to with my Old school reference and how Vincec Vaughn’s character handles his kid. It’s a funny sterorype. It’s really not a big deal. 
    You don't think there's a difference between an adult cartoon using a stereotype and a prominent public figure? TV, movies, comics have less judgement for things like that it seems. And yes, they are often very funny. Just like how I admit I may poke fun at stereotypes when I am with a small group of friends that I would never say in public or at work (and anyone who says they never do I wouldn't believe). 

I do agree I don't think its a big deal, but I was referring to the comment that stereotyping is okay as long as they are sometimes true. I don't agree with that, and it seems the more true it is probably the more offended people get.
    No because I don't find it offensive. It would be different if she made a disparaging remark against a group of people who have been persecuted and marginalized throughout history. But she didn't. She made an offhand joke/metaphor about divorced dads. To me its much ado about a nothing burger. 
    I agree with that. While maybe a poor choice of an analogy, it isn't newsworthy. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    do you honestly believe she was speaking in terms of all divorced men with children?

Sorry I didn’t see it.

I don’t think that’s what she meant. But it’s kinda what she said. Again - just surprised by her making a comment like that.
    stereotype or not, it spoke to me of a specific type that does in fact exist. and since that type does exist she gets a pass from me.

and to me its an accurate enough analogy. for what she was trying to say. which is current "dad" is a clueless oaf with no idea what the fuck he's doing.
    So I can make fun of  Asians for being bad drivers now? I can assume anyone working in a quicki-mart is Indian and make fun of them? I mean, that is a type that does exist right?

Her analogy didnt offend me, but I can;t believe anyone would say its okay to use stereotypes as long as that type exists.
    I mean...the Simpsons have used your second stereotype for almost 30 years now.  The Asian stereotype is another funny one. I remember an Office episode with a joke about it. And, gasp, it was funny. 

This is kind of what I was referring to with my Old school reference and how Vincec Vaughn’s character handles his kid. It’s a funny sterorype. It’s really not a big deal. 
    You don't think there's a difference between an adult cartoon using a stereotype and a prominent public figure? TV, movies, comics have less judgement for things like that it seems. And yes, they are often very funny. Just like how I admit I may poke fun at stereotypes when I am with a small group of friends that I would never say in public or at work (and anyone who says they never do I wouldn't believe). 

I do agree I don't think its a big deal, but I was referring to the comment that stereotyping is okay as long as they are sometimes true. I don't agree with that, and it seems the more true it is probably the more offended people get.
    No because I don't find it offensive. It would be different if she made a disparaging remark against a group of people who have been persecuted and marginalized throughout history. But she didn't. She made an offhand joke/metaphor about divorced dads. To me its much ado about a nothing burger. 
    I agree with that. While maybe a poor choice of an analogy, it isn't newsworthy. 
    I just think the analogy stinks like the elevator in the engineering college during summer. ;)

True story - that place stinks. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I mean I think a more appropriate analogy would be that trump is running this country like an Asian driving a car. No idea what he is doing but he was able to buy the presidency with help from daddy. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Sorry I didn’t see it.

Holy shit someone finally agrees with me! Happy Easter!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    I mean I think a more appropriate analogy would be that trump is running this country like an Asian driving a car. No idea what he is doing but he was able to buy the presidency with help from daddy. 
    Haha! I am allowed to laugh at this, right?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    1.6 K views (I'm in there a few times)  of a thread about Michelle Obama calling Trump a "Divorced Dad" is a sure sign things are a bit slow in the current events/news department these days.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    1.6 K views (I'm in there a few times)  of a thread about Michelle Obama calling Trump a "Divorced Dad" is a sure sign things are a bit slow in the current events/news department these days.  :lol:
    Yeah....not much happening this week!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mace1229 said:
    I don't even know if that stereotype is bad. Michelle never said anything about being aloof or a deadbeat dad, she just the dad where kids have fun with until they get sick.  That's not a deadbeat. In my mind I pictured a dad who gets custody one weekend a month and tries to pack a fun weekend in and probably over-does it. I picture the dad who takes his kids to the carnival then Disneyland to have as much fun as possible, then drops them off Sunday night. I don't think that's a bad quality, and I know (or did know) a few dads like that. Maybe she meant something completely different, but that is what I pictured when reading what she said.
    Which is why that analogy didn't make any sense to me when comparing to Trump. 
    That's kind of what I thought, and I agree that the analogy doesn't work. None of this "fun dad" stuff has happened in the last 2 years. Drunk Dad, Demented Dad, Angry Dad sure, but I haven't seen any sign of Fun Dad.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
    edited April 2019
    jeffbr said:
    mace1229 said:
    I don't even know if that stereotype is bad. Michelle never said anything about being aloof or a deadbeat dad, she just the dad where kids have fun with until they get sick.  That's not a deadbeat. In my mind I pictured a dad who gets custody one weekend a month and tries to pack a fun weekend in and probably over-does it. I picture the dad who takes his kids to the carnival then Disneyland to have as much fun as possible, then drops them off Sunday night. I don't think that's a bad quality, and I know (or did know) a few dads like that. Maybe she meant something completely different, but that is what I pictured when reading what she said.
    Which is why that analogy didn't make any sense to me when comparing to Trump. 
    That's kind of what I thought, and I agree that the analogy doesn't work. None of this "fun dad" stuff has happened in the last 2 years. Drunk Dad, Demented Dad, Angry Dad sure, but I haven't seen any sign of Fun Dad.
    Holy shit; there may actually be an apt analogy in there.  The more I think of it (thanks in large to to Mace's post) the more I think it was a reference, not to "bad dads" but to "weekend dads."  I suppose, if you want to, you can still nitpick that divorced dads being "weekend" is to an extent a thing of the past and she's adhering to old-school gender roles, but I think it starts to point to an expectation of perfection in verbal replies.  

As for the analogy...the "fun weekend dad" is the "different kind, non-establishment, non-PC, unfiltered president."  A lot of people like one or more of those elements.  It's awesome. 
    • Weekend dad bends the rules - Trump speaks off the cuff and doesn't worry about being "proper"
    • Meanwhile, mom is boring - Other presidents don't try to get things done as quickly (because they understand the process) and are always so calculating in what they say.
    • Dad lets me eat ice cream BEFORE dinner - Trump entertains me on Twitter.
    But now it's growing old:
    • I never have my homework done on mondays - Trump's attacking the very core of American values
    • I go to bed with a stomach ache from all the junk food - wait, his tax cuts are only helping the rich?
    • Dad's not serving me well because he's trying so hard to be liked - Trump only cares about his ego and the country is going to be all the worse for it.
    The more we talk about this the more I think her primary fault was using an analogy that the internet will not be able to pick up the nuance on.

Of course she's kind of wrong.  Most either never thought of him as "fun" before or they still think he's fun and don't really care about their stomach aches.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    ^
    More or less the way I feel about this. Good breakdown. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    edited April 2019
    nothing like overkill. 3 days later this thread is still going based on one comment from a long paragraph about our current president. seems a bit much.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Good one, OnWis97. I like that explanation. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    nothing like overkill. 3 days later this thread is still going based on one comment from a long paragraph about our current president. seems a bit much.
    Thanks for bumping it!

To be fair it’s hardly been discussed till recently. 
    hippiemom = goodness